Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelly Gregg

jtrester

Here is some new fodder to consider.

Kelly Gregg - NT - 35 years old - 6-0 - 320 lbs.

This guy is very long in the tooth, but for a 1 year contract he could be very helpful. Last year he played for the Chiefs, however, he spent previous years with both the Ravens and the Eagles. He should know Pagano and Grigson fairly well, and visa versa. This could be a very affordable option and could buy us a year, allowing us to address a long-term option in 2013.

Thoughts??

Agree ive said multiple times on many threads we need a NT he doesnt even have to great just do his job.Would help our DL alot to sign a vet NT to help transition to 3-4 D.And it looks like he played in all games atleast since 2009 Im onboard i like it alot.Really need a vet IMO to help DL transition to 3-4

This guy is very long in the tooth, but for a 1 year contract he could be very helpful. Last year he played for the Chiefs, however, he spent previous years with both the Ravens and the Eagles. He should know Pagano and Grigson fairly well, and visa versa. This could be a very affordable option and could buy us a year, allowing us to address a long-term option in 2013.

Thoughts??

I didn't know he was a FA. I suspect we'll pick up a vet and draft one too. He'd be an ideal guy, if he's not too expensive.

It's funny, I was actually looking at him earlier today. I think he's too old and he's on the decline. There is a reason why the Chiefs released him a few years ago and the Ravens released him. He's not productive anymore.

I think our best bet is in Aubrayo Franklin. He's good in a 3-4, and would be a nice short term solution. A 1 year deal would be sufficient, and then we could afford to wait a year to spend a top 3 (round) pick on a NT.

It's funny, I was actually looking at him earlier today. I think he's too old and he's on the decline. There is a reason why the Chiefs released him a few years ago and the Ravens released him. He's not productive anymore.

I think our best bet is in Aubrayo Franklin. He's good in a 3-4, and would be a nice short term solution. A 1 year deal would be sufficient, and then we could afford to wait a year to spend a top 3 (round) pick on a NT.

Absolutley agree with you on Franklin. the only thing is I can't see him being too interested in a one year deal unless its big money. Two or three years would be ok as long as the deal was strucutred so there wasn't some huge cap hit in the 3rd year. Draft a later round guy this year and an earlier guy next year when hopefully the NT class will be stronger

I would definitely prefer Franklin to Gregg, but wouldn't mind getting Gregg on a cheap, 1-year deal. I would still prefer us to bring in a young guy in the draft to be our anchor

Hes played in 142 0f his last 144 games he is on decline if u see his tackles.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4823/career;_ylt=Arg3DUYRTtsUSi4DNlvmK.v.uLYF But for a 1 year deal to help DL transition and help rookie NT out until we find better would be fine with me.But i do like Franklin just think he cost way too much ATM.

I would definitely prefer Franklin to Gregg, but wouldn't mind getting Gregg on a cheap, 1-year deal. I would still prefer us to bring in a young guy in the draft to be our anchor

Hes played in 142 0f his last 144 games he is on decline if u see his tackles.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4823/career;_ylt=Arg3DUYRTtsUSi4DNlvmK.v.uLYF But for a 1 year deal to help DL transition and help rookie NT out until we find better would be fine with me.But i do like Franklin just think he cost way too much ATM.

This is what I think. I would rather sign a vet NT like Gregg or Franklin to a 1 year deal this year and not worry about NT for a year. Then go into next year with the mentality of drafting a NT early. Next year's DT/NT class is a very good one in the sense that they're aren't that many studs, but a lot of good prospects that will end up going in the 2nd and 3rd round. I'd like to bring in a vet this year, but I'm not against drafting a guy like Ta'amu, Baptiste or Hicks.

Me and my cousin always laughed at his picture on Madden when he was with Bmore. We always made sure to put him on the Colts too, just so when he made a play we could put on our Kelly Gregg face.

images%2Fslides%2F04_KellyGregg.jpg

Jabba.jpg

Make it happen Grigson!!!

ETA: On Madden, his double chin is more prominent.....thus the Jabba the Hut reference.

Me and my cousin always laughed at his picture on Madden when he was with Bmore. We always made sure to put him on the Colts too, just so when he made a play we could put on our Kelly Gregg face.

images%2Fslides%2F04_KellyGregg.jpg

Jabba.jpg

Make it happen Grigson!!!

ETA: On Madden, his double chin is more prominent.....thus the Jabba the Hut reference.

Hey that is my pizza delivery guy! Seriously I do not think we need a 35 yr old NT. That is just an injury waiting to happen. I am all for mentoring a new NT will an established player....just someone other than Gregg...

He would fit in nice with Pags scheme. If it wasn't for Ngata becoming a freaking monster, Gregg would might have kept his job as a Raven. I remember one year, not too long ago, he had 97 tackles in one season. That is amazing for any tackle or defensive lineman. Like the OP said, if things don't work out in the draft, he would be a nice one year rental.

I am not expecting him to be a world beater. However, a declining NT is better than our current position of NO NT. For a one year, cap friendly contract, it buys us time.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Maybe I was harsh this morning with my pizza guy comment. If he has something left in his tank I will say I am not totally against him. Has to be for the right 1 year price and my fear is he will not pass a physical. 35 was my first feeling of my own body going down hill....and I weighed 235 not 320.

I wouldn't mind getting Gregg. He would definately be better than anybody we have on the roster now. With that said, I would take Franklin over Gregg anyday of the week. He should come cheap because he had a crappy yr. last yr. playing in a 4-3 system. He is a 3-4 NT and should have went to a team that played that scheme instead of going to a 4-3 team. He hurt his contract amount by going to the Saints last yr.. Sign him to a 1 yr. deal and let him prove himself again.

Maybe grigson and Pagano are comfortable with what we have now and what we can get in the draft, and maybe that's why we haven't tried to bring any FA

I think you may be right...........they have addressed (via free agency) certain holes on the roster already and the fact that they HAVE NOT signed a NT or CB tells me EXACTLY what we should expect from the draft with our 10 selections.

QB, probably 2 TE's, 3 CB's, 3 DL/NT's and 1 other pick spent on a skill position of some sort?

I think you may be right...........they have addressed (via free agency) certain holes on the roster already and the fact that they HAVE NOT signed a NT or CB tells me EXACTLY what we should expect from the draft with our 10 selections.

QB, probably 2 TE's, 3 CB's, 3 DL/NT's and 1 other pick spent on a skill position of some sort?

We'll draft a WR before we draft 3 CB's. We aren't THAT thin at CB.

We'll draft a WR before we draft 3 CB's. We aren't THAT thin at CB.

Powers has ended on the IR the last two years and although I think Rucker and Thomas have potential, we have NOTHING behind those three. So bringing in 3 more CB's that we have control over for the next 4-6 years to groom makes perfect sense!

Here is some new fodder to consider. Kelly Gregg - NT - 35 years old - 6-0 - 320 lbs. Thoughts??

It is an option...at least to bring to camp. I reckon we'll see how the draft goes.

I know this....Ray Lewis did not return to form (after dropping off from the loss of Siragusa) until the Ravens picked up Holati Ngata. And both Grigs & Pagano know this.

Powers has ended on the IR the last two years and although I think Rucker and Thomas have potential, we have NOTHING behind those three. So bringing in 3 more CB's that we have control over for the next 4-6 years to groom makes perfect sense!

Ideally so. But we will draft a WR before we draft a 3rd corner. Luckily, with 10 picks, we can do both! I'm really only taking issue with the order in which you presented things.

Ideally so. But we will draft a WR before we draft a 3rd corner. Luckily, with 10 picks, we can do both! I'm really only taking issue with the order in which you presented things.

Fair enough.........I suppose we could bring in a bunch of UDFA's as well to give the coaching staff plenty of options at Corner as well as WR!

Thoughts??

Way to old and past his prime. He struggled alot last year

Fair enough.........I suppose we could bring in a bunch of UDFA's as well to give the coaching staff plenty of options at Corner as well as WR!

I could agree with that. Undoubtedly we need to bolster the cb position.....as well as WR. Like you, I think cb is in worse shape than WR right now, and I hope we spend 2 of our 2-5 rounders on cb's.

I could agree with that. Undoubtedly we need to bolster the cb position.....as well as WR. Like you, I think cb is in worse shape than WR right now, and I hope we spend 2 of our 2-5 rounders on cb's.

Agreed......need healthy competition and solid depth mixed in with the Powers, Ruckers and Thomas's of the world!