Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Say We Were To Trade Freeney...

bWild

I believe that if we traded Dwight Freeney and packaged him with our 2nd or 3rd rounder, we could easily move up high enough into the 1st round to get another top player at his position. If we did, who would you want?

Me personally; I would want Morris Claiborne out of LSU. With his recent wrist surgery he might slide a little bit, and we definitely need a CB. He probably still go Top 10 regardless of the injury and might be out of reach. If that's the case, gotta grab Dontari Poe out of Memphis or Coby Fleener to give Luck his safety blanket.

Thoughts?

So your saying we trade our two seconds for a late round 1st? I would like that. My #1 choice would be Coby Fleener and maybe Michael Brockers.

I'm saying we trade Freeney and a 2nd or 3rd to move into the 1st round.

doubt that would happen I dont see anyone paying for a 32 year old defensive end in the last year of his contract thats to make I think 14 million dollars, I wouldnt do it anyway, we have to many holes

When and if Freeney is traded, he would sign a new deal with whoever his team would be, lessening his cap hit. And we're more likely to get into the middle of the 1st round packaging our 2nd rounder with Freeney.

I would think the objective would be to add picks in a loaded draft, not move up. I'd rather trade him for a 3rd and a 5th than give up one of our picks to get back into the first round.

It's just a hypothetical question; let's not take it too serious. If we were able to get back into the 1st round (after we take Luck) who would you want?

I believe that if we traded Dwight Freeney and packaged him with our 2nd or 3rd rounder, we could easily move up high enough into the 1st round to get another top player at his position. If we did, who would you want?

Me personally; I would want Morris Claiborne out of LSU. With his recent wrist surgery he might slide a little bit, and we definitely need a CB. He probably still go Top 10 regardless of the injury and might be out of reach. If that's the case, gotta grab Dontari Poe out of Memphis or Coby Fleener to give Luck his safety blanket.

Thoughts?

I would be fine with packaging Freeney and our 3rd round pick to get the rights to draft WR Michael Floyd from ND. We need a #1 WR, and Floyd could definatly be that guy. Wayne will still be producing dont get me wrong, but we need a guy for the future. I cant envision us being able to move into the top 10, so players like Morris Claiborne is not an option.

But instead of doing that, I would rather us just trade Freeney straight up for as much as we can get, hopefully a late 1st or 2nd round pick from NE since they have two of each.

there is a reason freeny is still on the roster and that reason is no one is going to give up a high draft pick, meaning 1st 2nd and probably not even a 3rd for a 32 year old soon to be 33 at the end of the season when hes only got one year left and hes not gonna restructure because he knows he isnt gonna get another big deal do to his age and their is simply other ways of getting a pass rushing defensive end, the draft watch and see, at best he will be released

there is a reason freeny is still on the roster and that reason is no one is going to give up a high draft pick, meaning 1st 2nd and probably not even a 3rd for a 32 year old soon to be 33 at the end of the season when hes only got one year left and hes not gonna restructure because he knows he isnt gonna get another big deal do to his age and their is simply other ways of getting a pass rushing defensive end, the draft watch and see, at best he will be released

You keep saying this, over and over again, despite the fact that people are pointing out that there are other possibilities that you refuse to acknowledge. Either way it goes, the Freeney situation is still pending resolution. Why don't you just wait and see what happens?

Um if thats the case why dont we ALL wait and see instead of giving our opinions? because were fansssss we speculate because we love the game and want whats best for the team, I would love to get a high draft pick for freeney, thats just not logical for other teams

Just my opinion, but you couldn't be more wrong about this. He gets a new deal no matter where he goes. I guarantee you that.

of course he will he still has a couple (2-3) years left, I never said he wont get a new deal it just wont be getting the ridiculous amount he is scheduled to be getting now, thats stupid debating he will not get a new deal I know he will, but it wont be for as much

Um if thats the case why dont we ALL wait and see instead of giving our opinions? because were fansssss we speculate because we love the game and want whats best for the team, I would love to get a high draft pick for freeney, thats just not logical for other teams

No, no. You're running around declaring at every opportunity that it's absurd to expect to get anything for Freeney, that no one wants to trade for him because of his contract. The fact is that, if he's traded, it's likely with a new contract in place. That's been said over and over again, yet you come back with the same refrain, over and over again.

yes we could trade him with a new one in place thats undebatable, but I dont see him offering that, that is what I am saying, would you do it if you were 32 and new your career only had a couple years left (2-3)? I dont think so, I think you would get what ya could, its called business and freeny knows that well

Signing him to a new contract then trading him won't happen. That never happens in the NFL. Freeney would not sign a contract that doesn't have a large signing bonus, since that is the only guaranteed money. For cap purposes, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. If the player is traded that cap hit happens this year for the entire amount. It's the same reason they couldn't trade Peyton. They would have had to pick up the $28m option which would have then been a cap hit all in this year. In that case his cap hit would have been about $36m (includes the unamortized amount from last year's bonus).

If they redo his contract, he is staying, and no one is trading for him unless they first have assurance that he will redo the contract after he is traded.

Thoughts?

Like I said in another thread,I would love to get Fleener & hopefully our GM will hit with a WR later on. Along with Wayne, I think that should give us a pretty decent passing attack right-away.

Thoughts?

We should trade Freeney, he is undersized and we could find a younger talent that fits our new Defensive scheme; and when the new person hits their stride the same time Luck does... fireworks and superbowls baby.

yes we could trade him with a new one in place thats undebatable, but I dont see him offering that, that is what I am saying, would you do it if you were 32 and new your career only had a couple years left (2-3)? I dont think so, I think you would get what ya could, its called business and freeny knows that well

I don't know if you understand the scenario.

First of all, your assumption that Freeney's career only has two or three years left is just that: an assumption. I don't know how much longer he'll play, but that's not set in stone by any means.

Secondly, Freeney's contract as it stands will pay him $14 million in 2012. But that's only if we were to keep him on that contract, which it does not appear we are going to do. Nor should we, because that's too much money. If we cut him, he doesn't get any of that. If he and his agent can reach terms with another team for a multi-year contract, he can make more than $14 million. Let's say he agrees to a three year, $30 million contract, with a $10 million bonus upfront. He could easily make his $14 million in 2012, and be under contract, for an additional $16 million in the next two years. The specific numbers aren't really important. The point is that he can make more money by agreeing to an extension. And once he's agreed to an extension, you're talking about trading for one of the best pass rushers in the game. That's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, and history has borne that out. The Richard Seymour trade shows that a defensive lineman in his early 30s can yield a high draft pick in a trade, and Seymour only had one year left on his deal. In other words, it can be done.

The only reason Freeney would force our hand and make us cut him would be if he wants to choose where he plays, rather than being traded to a small list of teams willing to give up a high pick for him. I could see him refusing to agree to any contract talks for that reason. But we can still get a 4th or 5th rounder for him, without him agreeing to an extension. There are plenty of teams that need an elite pass rusher, and would be willing to take his non-guaranteed $14 million salary on for one year, and have the chance to keep him beyond the one year with an eventual extension.

There are a ton of scenarios that can shake out. You're being dismissive, and at every opportunity. Truth is, we could trade him for a low round pick tomorrow, and that would be better than releasing him and getting nothing.

does anyone else see the point I am trying to make though?

I get your point. BUT, if we can unload some baggage (Freeney and his contract) and package a pick with him, we would get another pick in return. Get it?! We wouldn't be missing out on another selection, just re-investing it.

Poe and Claiborne are both top 15 picks, arguably even top 10. I've seen mocks with Claiborne going to the Bucs and Poe to the Panthers. As for Fleener, I've seen him projected to go at 32 to the Giants, but he had a good pro day, so he might move up a few spots

Agreed. It's a stretch to get into the Top 10, but the middle of the 1st round isn't out of the question if Freeney is involved. There are some 4-3 teams salivating to get a pass rusher like him, regardless of the fact that he's 32.

If we could ditch the contract, I would trade for a bag of fig newtons. We need a solid NT, back-up QB, perhaps even a RB of some description. We need cap space! Trading for a couple of draft choices, maybe an early 3rd and mid 5th, would be realistic and beneficial at this point.

I would say Michael Floyd WR ND or top CB.or Mark Barron S Alabama, David DeCastro G Stanford, Michael Brockers DL LSU, Devon Still DL Penn St, Melvin Ingram OLB/DL SC, Nick Perry OLB USC or.... There are prolly more but these are most of the main guys I'd target in mid 1st.

Agreed. It's a stretch to get into the Top 10, but the middle of the 1st round isn't out of the question if Freeney is involved. There are some 4-3 teams salivating to get a pass rusher like him, regardless of the fact that he's 32.

If no one is willing to just give us a late 1st or mid 2nd for Freeney, then I would be a fan of trading our 3rd and Freeney to get someone's mid 1st to get WR Michael Floyd, DE/OLB Melvin Ingram, or NT Dontari Poe.