Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Casey Hampton Restructures And Gives Up Workout Bonus

Gavin

He still wants to play, especially with the Steelers and he realizes that if he can't stay with the Steelers, he won't make good money, or may not get any offers, so it's just better for him to stay and take a pay-cut. This means that they can worry about other needs for at least this year and worry about NT next offseason.

How do these workout bonuses work? Is it like "if you lift ____ lbs by week 8, you get $250 000" or is it like "if you never miss a workout, you get $1 000 000"?

I have no idea my guess is the second one

It works like this:

The money is paid to the player if that player, who is Hampton in this situation, shows up to a certain number of days in the off-season and participates in the off-season training. For example, Hampton has $250,000 workout bonuses in his contract, but he refuses to come to Pittsburgh to work out. He doesn't get that workout bonus, but it is on the table, it's up to him to get that bonus.

It works like this:

The money is paid to the player if that player, who is Hampton in this situation, shows up to a certain number of days in the off-season and participates in the off-season training. For example, Hampton has $250,000 workout bonuses in his contract, but he refuses to come to Pittsburgh to work out. He doesn't get that workout bonus, but it is on the table, it's up to him to get that bonus.

So, essentially, players get paid to do what players normally do? Doesn't almost every player in the league take part in off-season training? They wouldn't be able to last during the season if they didn't do any off-season training. So essentially, they are getting paid extra to do what they normally do? That's like paying a firefighter extra if he shows up and fights a fire...NFL contracts are ridiculous

So, essentially, players get paid to do what players normally do? Doesn't almost every player in the league take part in off-season training? They wouldn't be able to last during the season if they didn't do any off-season training. So essentially, they are getting paid extra to do what they normally do? That's like paying a firefighter extra if he shows up and fights a fire...NFL contracts are ridiculous

well if you take reggie for example he works out in miami during the off-season not in indy.

The majority of offseason workouts are optional. Most people go to it anyways, but they're optional. The doors are always open to the players, and they just ask that Hampton go to a certain amount of workouts during the offseason.

Think of it like this: you're back in high school and the teacher gives you optional homework to get ahead. Now almost all the students are going to do it to get ahead, but the teacher asks you to do a certain amount of them, making it not optional. This is what's going on here. They asked Casey to take part in a certain amount of workouts, and he didn't want to so he didn't get a reward. The student gets rewarded in good grades, and the players gets rewarded in money.

Hope that helps!

well if you take reggie for example he works out in miami during the off-season not in indy.

So he would lose out on let's say $250 000...but he just signed a $17.5 mil deal, so I'm sure he isn't too concerned about that. To him, it's not a big loss, but to the average person, that's a lot of money

The majority of offseason workouts are optional. Most people go to it anyways, but they're optional. The doors are always open to the players, and they just ask that Hampton go to a certain amount of workouts during the offseason.

Think of it like this: you're back in high school and the teacher gives you optional homework to get ahead. Now almost all the students are going to do it to get ahead, but the teacher asks you to do a certain amount of them, making it not optional. This is what's going on here. They asked Casey to take part in a certain amount of workouts, and he didn't want to so he didn't get a reward. The student gets rewarded in good grades, and the players gets rewarded in money.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the explanations! While I certainly don't agree with the principle, your explanations made it much clearer for me

So he would lose out on let's say $250 000...but he just signed a $17.5 mil deal, so I'm sure he isn't too concerned about that. To him, it's not a big loss, but to the average person, that's a lot of money

Of course, he lost out on the money, but I'm assuming it's much more. It's probably closer to a million, but not over. He lost out on a good amount of money, that doesn't seem a lot to him, but money that an average person would not turn down, ever!

i know what you mean. id do anything 250000