Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantasy Football 2012

Just looking to chat about some FFL for this upcoming season.

Anyone you have your eye on to make a huge impact that could be caught fairly late? Where you think last season's stars will land come draft day?

Ya know the basics.

I'll start it off with this. Where does Cam Newton get picked this year? Does he become your #1 QB?

Anyone have any guesses on what round Luck will be drafted? How about the rest of the colts offense?

You have the #1 overall pick, who do you take? I think I'd still have to go with Foster.

Newton will probably go in the 2nd round, maybe late 1st round. He becomes your #1 QB.

Luck will probably be drafted in the last 2 rounds more because those are the rounds where you take the risks on the players like Luck. I see Reggie Wayne in the 7th to 9th round.

If I had the 1st overall pick, I'd choose betweeen Foster or Rice. I think I'd go with Foster, and maybe trade up for Rice.

Newton will probably go in the 2nd round, maybe late 1st round. He becomes your #1 QB.

Luck will probably be drafted in the last 2 rounds more because those are the rounds where you take the risks on the players like Luck. I see Reggie Wayne in the 7th to 9th round.

If I had the 1st overall pick, I'd choose betweeen Foster or Rice. I think I'd go with Foster, and maybe trade up for Rice.

I think Luck might go higher, depending on the weapons the colts have and the hype.

I'm gonna stay away from Cam I think this year. I think last year was a big bang for him, but I just can't see giving 1st round pick to my QB.

Dwepending on the hype the Cutler / Marshall combo could be a sleeper this year.

i never go with big name qbs in the draft. every year i take one that goes under the radar and if that doesnt work you can always find a qb that has a break out year ex warner in 08 favre in 09 cam in 2011

Drafting Peyton last year won me my league because it allowed me to pick up Cam Netwon in week 2. lol

Demaryius Thomas is going to put up big numbers next year. Aaron Hernandez usually gets overlooked but he can put up big numbers, Antonio Brown should have a big year.. that's off the top of my head :)

I will never again draft a QB in the first round. I changed up my typical strategy (waiting on QB until round 7+, loading up on RBs and WRs in 1-6) last year to grab Vick with the 6th overall pick, and even tho you can say he had a down year, the reality is there was NO WAY he could have had a year good enough to justify a 1st round pick.

I struggled last year as a result (finished 3rd in a league of 12). I won't get into the logic behind staying away from QBs early, but bottom line, it was dumb on my part. I knew better, but for some *ic reason, I thought Vick v.02 was an exception to the rules I'd established. WRONG. No QB ever will be. Stay away from Newton, if you want to win your league, unless you can get him after the 6th round.

Alright guys which QB should I go after then. I usually go WR back to back because I usually pick at 8-10. I go for under the radar QBs most of the time unless I have the 4th or 5th pick. Typically I go after Alex Smith as Bye week replacement and get Eli or Rivers or Big Ben in the 7th or 8th(I play in full team leagues)

Alright guys which QB should I go after then. I usually go WR back to back because I usually pick at 8-10. I go for under the radar QBs most of the time unless I have the 4th or 5th pick. Typically I go after Alex Smith as Bye week replacement and get Eli or Rivers or Big Ben in the 7th or 8th(I play in full team leagues)

If you're looking for a under the radar QB, I'd say give Matt Flynn, Ryan Fitzpatrick and even Andrew Luck a look in the later rounds. If you want some high rounders like a 3rd rounder, go after Stafford. STAY AWAY FROM BREES!

If you're looking for a under the radar QB, I'd say give Matt Flynn, Ryan Fitzpatrick and even Andrew Luck a look in the later rounds. If you want some high rounders like a 3rd rounder, go after Stafford. STAY AWAY FROM BREES!

Well last year I went after Brees and Rodgers in back to back rounds that was pretty amazing

Well last year I went after Brees and Rodgers in back to back rounds that was pretty amazing

Why get 2 QBs, only one can play each week....I say dont go crazy/all in for Brees because look at everything that's happened to him plus he's ticked off and is currently in the middle of selling his house in San Diego. He has a lot of on his mind, and that should carry over into the season.

The way I would look at it is like this:

Rodgers will go too high to be worth the reach. Let someone else be THAT guy.

Brees will go much too early because people haven't been paying enough attention this offseason

P. Manning will go way too early because the assumption is new team = magic elixer (too risky for me)

E. Manning will go a little too early because of the Super Bowl win

Brady will go a little too early because of his history

Stafford will go a little too early because of their success last year

Newton will go a little too early - I expect a sophmore slump

I would avoid those 7 unless one magincally falls into the late 4th or even 5th round, at which point they become a VALUE. I expect them all to be gone by mid 3rd, though.

Ideally I'm targetting round 7 or later for my starting QB, though. I'm going to be taking a long hard look at the following guys in rounds 7 and 8:

Rivers - poor year last year will turn people off to him. I suspect he'll have a solid rebound year.

Ryan - solid and consistant... for some reason, he isn't valued, though

Roethlisberger - better in fantasy than on the field, this seems to keep his perceived value low.

Romo - if he stays healthy, he isn't spectacular, but he is consistantly solid

Vick - he was thought to be 1st round material last year (mea culpa). He wasn't worth that, but I'm betting he'll fall farther than he ought to

Cutler - I'm liking the addition of Bush, but they still need WRs. I'm on the fense, but it'll depend on the things I see in preseason

The next tier of guys I'd go after in round 9 and 10 (hopefully as backups), if the above guys are gone by end of round 8:

Smith (I might very well move him up, but want to see some growth in preseason)

Freeman (I don't know whether last year was the abberation, or '10 was. Not sure I'd want to count on him)

Dalton (I expect a sophmore slump here too, but he could still be a value pick late)

Shaub (the better the team gets, the less he is relied on for his arm)

Flacco (just too inconsistant for me)

Palmer (I saw nothing last year to convince me he should have un-retired)

I probably wouldn't take anyone else, unless you are in a 2 QB league, or are drafting more than 15 rounds. Waiver wire is a better option for a bye week replacement than wasting a valuable pick, IMO.

I'd take a look at Locker as a high end QB2. Rifle of an arm and nice weapons around him.

I think Donald Brown will be a nice sleeper this year. Maybe even Delone, depending on how things shape up in camp. Wayne and Collie could be nice values depending on their ADP. Maybe even Avery if you're taking a late round flier. If we get a talented TE he might be worth a look as well.

My top 4 picks will be Foster, Rice, McCoy, and MJD with no questions asked. It gets pretty sketchy after that.. maybe Megatron and Rodgers, or Mathews.

My opinion on the highest impact players for this season... These are players I think will have not just a good season but a GREAT season!

Jay Cutler at QB has the highest increase from last season to this season. New weapons added to the arsenal and another year in the Martz offense.

McFadden at RB is a beast and if he can stay healthy he will run for over 1000 yards guaranteed and with Bush gone he will not have to look over his shoulder anymore.

Mike WIlliams at WR has the potential to be top 10 wideout with Freeman getting over his sophomore slump and I think he will have a much better season than last (VJax wil draw double coverage leaving Williams open to burn the DB's)

My opinion on the highest impact players for this season... These are players I think will have not just a good season but a GREAT season!

Jay Cutler at QB has the highest increase from last season to this season. New weapons added to the arsenal and another year in the Martz offense.

McFadden at RB is a beast and if he can stay healthy he will run for over 1000 yards guaranteed and with Bush gone he will not have to look over his shoulder anymore.

Mike WIlliams at WR has the potential to be top 10 wideout with Freeman getting over his sophomore slump and I think he will have a much better season than last (VJax wil draw double coverage leaving Williams open to burn the DB's)

I can see Cutler, and maybe Wiliams...

But McFadden didn't really have to look over his shoulder last year. It was his rock if he could stay on the field. He couldn't, and I don't think he's stayed healthy for a full season yet. He's a certifiable stud when he plays, but gets knocked down my list for being too fragile. I had both McFadden and Bush on my roster last year, and it worked OK, but McFadden can't be trusted to give you a full season, even if you do pick up the handcuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to look at the strength of schedule. Pats, Packers, Bills, Texans, Titans have the easiest schedules this year.

So I'll use that to map out my picks. Could go T Brady, A Rodgers, A Foster, F. Jackson, A. Johnson, K Britt, G Jennings as first/second round options. This method usually allows pretty consistent awesome numbers.

I like to look at the strength of schedule. Pats, Packers, Bills, Texans, Titans have the easiest schedules this year.

So I'll use that to map out my picks. Could go T Brady, A Rodgers, A Foster, F. Jackson, A. Johnson, K Britt, G Jennings as first/second round options. This method usually allows pretty consistent awesome numbers.

I frequently do this too. I remember a number of years back, I had Bledsoe (Cowboys) and Brady, and between SOS and weather, determined that the best strategy was to start Brady until about week 10, then trade him for a fortune (dont recall who i got in return, but they were studs) and switch to Bledsoe for the stretch run. That proved to be my most dominating Championship run to date.

yes, started last year with IDP... picked up JPP from waivers who had a HUGE season and won it all in the end. It´s fun :thmup:

What league do you use? Yahoo? NFL.com? MSN?

I have been with Yahoo since the beginning and I like the additions they have added in the last few years. They even added that you can trade for a draft pick. That is thinking outside of the box for FF.

We have keepers every year and the rule is 4 keepers 2 offense and 2 defense none at the same position. I have Willis at LB since his rookie year but I am not sure who to keep after that.

I think Luck might go higher, depending on the weapons the colts have and the hype.

I'm gonna stay away from Cam I think this year. I think last year was a big bang for him, but I just can't see giving 1st round pick to my QB.

Dwepending on the hype the Cutler / Marshall combo could be a sleeper this year.

Luck will be a borderline fantasy starter by mid season IMO, Both of my leagues are keeper leagues (3) players in each. And I live in central IN and we are ALL Colt fans so... Luck will be picked very fast, and if he gets to 9 (ME) he is on my squad.

And I have Brady.

As far as Cam, he started off like a ball of fire. But the second half of the season he fizzed passing big time, and a lot of his damage came on the ground. He scares me a bit. Many QB's I'd take over Cam. But everything is dependent on your leagues scoring system. Mine rewards QB's very handsomely for passing and rushing yardage... lots that is. Same for RB's and WR's.

Defensive players are also big in my leagues.

What league do you use? Yahoo? NFL.com? MSN?

I have been with Yahoo since the beginning and I like the additions they have added in the last few years. They even added that you can trade for a draft pick. That is thinking outside of the box for FF.

We have keepers every year and the rule is 4 keepers 2 offense and 2 defense none at the same position. I have Willis at LB since his rookie year but I am not sure who to keep after that.

nfl.com... it´s a crazy league with 10 teams started last year, points for everything (PPR, Returning)... we start 2 QB, 3 RB, 4 WR, 2 TE, 2 WR/RB, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB. (and a total of 12 players on the bench)

I´m not 100% sure but I think drafting Picks is also possible. We have 15 keepers...!

I would love to have Patrick Willis at LB..but no chance I´ll get him

I will never again draft a QB in the first round. I changed up my typical strategy (waiting on QB until round 7+, loading up on RBs and WRs in 1-6) last year to grab Vick with the 6th overall pick, and even tho you can say he had a down year, the reality is there was NO WAY he could have had a year good enough to justify a 1st round pick.

I struggled last year as a result (finished 3rd in a league of 12). I won't get into the logic behind staying away from QBs early, but bottom line, it was dumb on my part. I knew better, but for some *ic reason, I thought Vick v.02 was an exception to the rules I'd established. WRONG. No QB ever will be. Stay away from Newton, if you want to win your league, unless you can get him after the 6th round.

The way I would look at it is like this:

Rodgers will go too high to be worth the reach. Let someone else be THAT guy.

Brees will go much too early because people haven't been paying enough attention this offseason

P. Manning will go way too early because the assumption is new team = magic elixer (too risky for me)

E. Manning will go a little too early because of the Super Bowl win

Brady will go a little too early because of his history

Stafford will go a little too early because of their success last year

Newton will go a little too early - I expect a sophmore slump

I would avoid those 7 unless one magincally falls into the late 4th or even 5th round, at which point they become a VALUE. I expect them all to be gone by mid 3rd, though.

Ideally I'm targetting round 7 or later for my starting QB, though. I'm going to be taking a long hard look at the following guys in rounds 7 and 8:

Rivers - poor year last year will turn people off to him. I suspect he'll have a solid rebound year.

Ryan - solid and consistant... for some reason, he isn't valued, though

Roethlisberger - better in fantasy than on the field, this seems to keep his perceived value low.

Romo - if he stays healthy, he isn't spectacular, but he is consistantly solid

Vick - he was thought to be 1st round material last year (mea culpa). He wasn't worth that, but I'm betting he'll fall farther than he ought to

Cutler - I'm liking the addition of Bush, but they still need WRs. I'm on the fense, but it'll depend on the things I see in preseason

The next tier of guys I'd go after in round 9 and 10 (hopefully as backups), if the above guys are gone by end of round 8:

Smith (I might very well move him up, but want to see some growth in preseason)

Freeman (I don't know whether last year was the abberation, or '10 was. Not sure I'd want to count on him)

Dalton (I expect a sophmore slump here too, but he could still be a value pick late)

Shaub (the better the team gets, the less he is relied on for his arm)

Flacco (just too inconsistant for me)

Palmer (I saw nothing last year to convince me he should have un-retired)

I probably wouldn't take anyone else, unless you are in a 2 QB league, or are drafting more than 15 rounds. Waiver wire is a better option for a bye week replacement than wasting a valuable pick, IMO.

I would disagree with this I won my league in '10 because I spent a 2nd round pick on Brady. I won again in '11 because I spent a 1st round pick on Rodgers (who I picked ahead of Vick). I used to go by the tried and true strategy of going running back and wide receiver early but nowadays stud running backs are very hard to find and there are also a lot more startable wide receivers now that good teams almost always have 2 guys capable of getting 1000 yards receiving.

Look at last year's stats. In standard scoring, Rodgers averaged nearly 12 points per game more than the 12th ranked QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And the other big factor for taking a QB early is that they are less injury prone and bust-safe than running backs and wide receivers. And yea Roger Goddell's rule changes had alot to do with that.

I would disagree with this I won my league in '10 because I spent a 2nd round pick on Brady. I won again in '11 because I spent a 1st round pick on Rodgers (who I picked ahead of Vick). I used to go by the tried and true strategy of going running back and wide receiver early but nowadays stud running backs are very hard to find and there are also a lot more startable wide receivers now that good teams almost always have 2 guys capable of getting 1000 yards receiving.

Look at last year's stats. In standard scoring, Rodgers averaged nearly 12 points per game more than the 12th ranked QB in Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And the other big factor for taking a QB early is that they are less injury prone and bust-safe than running backs and wide receivers. And yea Roger Goddell's rule changes had alot to do with that.

Congratulations on your Championship, but I don't think you've proven anything. I hear the 1st to 12th arguement all the time. Problem is, it misses the mark on 3 counts.

First, it doesn't compare that number to the falloff between 1st and 24th best running back or 1st to 36th best WR (we start 3 each week). It also doesn't account for how readily injured RBs are compared to QBs, and the fact that you need more of them to successfully navigate a fantasy season.

Second, it doesn't account for the fact that Rodgers' excellence this past year is kind of a rarity. The only other years where the top QB outpaced the rest of their piers by such a margin was Manning's record breaking year, Brady's nearly undefeated season, and then Vick in 2010 (doing it much more on foot).

By the way, statistical spike years are almost always followed by less than average statistical seasons from that QB the next year. Look at Manning, Marino, Favre, or even Vick last year (we'll discount Brady, because he got injured that next year). There are more examples, but it's late and I'm too lazy to look them up.

Third, the advocate for that arguement usually looks at year end stats, and not a comparison of draft spot to where they finish.

How often do you imagine QBs drafted in the 7th round or later finish in the top 5-6 in fantasy points at their position by seasons end. From my experience, it happens very nearly every year. So the trick is to figure out who the potential gems are, and make sure they end up on your roster.

Last year, Newton wasn't even drafted in our league, Stafford went in the 13th round, and Eli went in the 11th. Trust me, the team that grabbed Newton after week one (and later jettisonning Big Ben) was stacked from top to bottom, and ran away with the Championship. That is where I usually am, and I'm still kicking myself for getting too caught up in the previous year's stats and the media hype surrounding Vick before the season.

Last year, Newton wasn't even drafted in our league, Stafford went in the 13th round, and Eli went in the 11th. Trust me, the team that grabbed Newton after week one (and later jettisonning Big Ben) was stacked from top to bottom, and ran away with the Championship. That is where I usually am, and I'm still kicking myself for getting too caught up in the previous year's stats and the media hype surrounding Vick before the season.

I'm just saying you sound incredibly pretentious right there and pretentious comments usually do more to hurt your argument than help it.

The point I was trying to make is that there are very few stud running backs like we had in the late 90s and early 00's. Running back by committees have come to dominate the NFL and today's NFL features a lot more passing than in past decades.

Your aversion to drafting a QB in the first round is based on one sour experience with Vick. However, for everyone that took Vick in the first round there are 4 other owners who took either Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Andre Johnson, or Rashard Mendenhall with their first round pick. Each of them were probably wishing they'd taken someone else, but I doubt they're trolling the internet to whine about the could haves and should haves.

Also you argue that waiver wire QBs are easy to find, but I have to disagree. Cam Newton was the exception to the rule. In most years if you do not draft a top 12 QB you won't find one on waivers. The opposite is true for WRs and RBs. Every year players like Roy Helu, DeMarcco Murray, Darren Sproles, Victor Cruz, Laurent Robinson, and Nate Washington appear out of nowhere to help fantasy owners. Especially when injuries occur at the running back and wide receiver positions seemingly every week.

If you feel like your best strategy is to grab running backs early that's fine. I just prefer to invest in a safer position, especially when first round running backs seem to bust at a rate of 20-35% every year.

I'm just saying you sound incredibly pretentious right there and pretentious comments usually do more to hurt your argument than help it.

The point I was trying to make is that there are very few stud running backs like we had in the late 90s and early 00's. Running back by committees have come to dominate the NFL and today's NFL features a lot more passing than in past decades.

Your aversion to drafting a QB in the first round is based on one sour experience with Vick. However, for everyone that took Vick in the first round there are 4 other owners who took either Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, Andre Johnson, or Rashard Mendenhall with their first round pick. Each of them were probably wishing they'd taken someone else, but I doubt they're trolling the internet to whine about the could haves and should haves.

Also you argue that waiver wire QBs are easy to find, but I have to disagree. Cam Newton was the exception to the rule. In most years if you do not draft a top 12 QB you won't find one on waivers. The opposite is true for WRs and RBs. Every year players like Roy Helu, DeMarcco Murray, Darren Sproles, Victor Cruz, Laurent Robinson, and Nate Washington appear out of nowhere to help fantasy owners. Especially when injuries occur at the running back and wide receiver positions seemingly every week.

If you feel like your best strategy is to grab running backs early that's fine. I just prefer to invest in a safer position, especially when first round running backs seem to bust at a rate of 20-35% every year.

Bottom line, I disagree with is your assessment that going QB early is safer. I gave you three clear reasons why I disagreed, and other than saying I sounded pretentious, you debunked none of those reasons. My comments have nothing to do with Vick, other than the fact that he was the guy who epitomized the temporary insanity I suffered last year.

Newton isn't an exception. He wasn't even the exception last year, and I only listed 2 others drafted after the first 12 rounds in most leagues that ended up in the statistical top 6. If you draft a decent QB, the most you need is a backup for the bye week in most cases. Maybe on rare occasions you'll adjust for a particularly bad matchup, but usually not if you QB is decent. And maybe you have to contend with injury, but that isn't nearly as common with QBs as with RBs, and it is far easier to find a playable option at QB on the waiver wire in most years. So maybe you carry 2 on your team.

Your arguements about the failed first round running backs and about RBBCs only go to support my point about needing as many quality RBs on a roster as possible. If your league starts 2 RBs, you are going to need to have 2 guys you know will get the touches. In the current RBBC trend, there aren't many you can rely on to be THAT guy. Then injuries start to happen, and most years, most ff teams are fortunate not to lose at least one of their starters at RB. If you don't have depth at the position, you're stuck with waiver wire fodder, and that is a very mixed bag. If you are like most people I've seen play the game, you need to carry 5-6 RBs on your roster to navigate most seasons.

Two years ago, I drafted Rice, Charles, Best and Foster. Rice underperformed for a 1st rounder, and Best fell off after the first few games, but I was fortunate to have the depth I needed to survive those "misses". I landed Brady in the 6th round, and while he was only a little above average for most of the season, he provided the stability I needed at the position without me wasting that early pick on him.

You can say I sound pretentious all you want, but I've been at this game since before the internet. I've probably participated in over 120 leagues in that time, and after the first 2 years of learning how it all works, I've missed the playoffs exactly once (3 years ago, and I had the highest scoring team in the league... go figure). By my most recent count, I have 34 Championships and finished second another 23 times, so roughly half the time, I finish in the top 2. That includes several leagues that consist solely of "past champions", so this isn't me playing against rooks and schmoes. And they've continued through all the years since the league changed rules to benefit QB play, btw.

I encourage you to stick with your strategy, especially if we ever end up in a money league together. And while I have no doubt Rodgers is an elite QB in the league, we should talk after the season about where he ends up statistically. I doubt he'll even end up the top fantasy QB, let alone by 10 points a game. That is a wager I'll be making with confidence come fantasy draft time.

Bottom line, I disagree with is your assessment that going QB early is safer. I gave you three clear reasons why I disagreed, and other than saying I sounded pretentious, you debunked none of those reasons. My comments have nothing to do with Vick, other than the fact that he was the guy who epitomized the temporary insanity I suffered last year.

Newton isn't an exception. He wasn't even the exception last year, and I only listed 2 others drafted after the first 12 rounds in most leagues that ended up in the statistical top 6. If you draft a decent QB, the most you need is a backup for the bye week in most cases. Maybe on rare occasions you'll adjust for a particularly bad matchup, but usually not if you QB is decent. And maybe you have to contend with injury, but that isn't nearly as common with QBs as with RBs, and it is far easier to find a playable option at QB on the waiver wire in most years. So maybe you carry 2 on your team.

Your arguements about the failed first round running backs and about RBBCs only go to support my point about needing as many quality RBs on a roster as possible. If your league starts 2 RBs, you are going to need to have 2 guys you know will get the touches. In the current RBBC trend, there aren't many you can rely on to be THAT guy. Then injuries start to happen, and most years, most ff teams are fortunate not to lose at least one of their starters at RB. If you don't have depth at the position, you're stuck with waiver wire fodder, and that is a very mixed bag. If you are like most people I've seen play the game, you need to carry 5-6 RBs on your roster to navigate most seasons.

Two years ago, I drafted Rice, Charles, Best and Foster. Rice underperformed for a 1st rounder, and Best fell off after the first few games, but I was fortunate to have the depth I needed to survive those "misses". I landed Brady in the 6th round, and while he was only a little above average for most of the season, he provided the stability I needed at the position without me wasting that early pick on him.

You can say I sound pretentious all you want, but I've been at this game since before the internet. I've probably participated in over 120 leagues in that time, and after the first 2 years of learning how it all works, I've missed the playoffs exactly once (3 years ago, and I had the highest scoring team in the league... go figure). By my most recent count, I have 34 Championships and finished second another 23 times, so roughly half the time, I finish in the top 2. That includes several leagues that consist solely of "past champions", so this isn't me playing against rooks and schmoes. And they've continued through all the years since the league changed rules to benefit QB play, btw.

I encourage you to stick with your strategy, especially if we ever end up in a money league together. And while I have no doubt Rodgers is an elite QB in the league, we should talk after the season about where he ends up statistically. I doubt he'll even end up the top fantasy QB, let alone by 10 points a game. That is a wager I'll be making with confidence come fantasy draft time.

I guess this is the point where we must agree to disagree.

You believe the best strategy is to adress rb early by securing studs and looking for sleepers/value picks at quarterback.

I believe the best strategy is to take the positions with the most consistency early and load my roster with sleeper running backs later in the draft.