Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gonzo Visiting The Patriots/signs With Patriots (Merged)

HarassedOffTheSite

Miami gave up on Welker and the pats got him cheap. If they get Gonzo cheap than I wouldn't be surprised. He had "similar" type qualities although not sure quite as fast on that short burst. If they get Wallace the offense would put up numbers similar to 2007. What would be really worrying is if they get someone like Chris Rainey in second round or some following the Darren Sprooles type to dump off to...sick. New England is always about creating missmatches and running backs on line backers and TE on safeties. I do wonder who is going to run the ball. Green-Ellis probably be back.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heck be a good fit for their system. somethin tells me he didnt play this past year because of something else other than injury related problems

I have to agree with you on that one. He was suited up and warmed up and then he didn't play. Always looked fishy to me. If history repeats itself seems like when we cut or don't re-sign players they always do better on another team. Time will tell and look at the coach he will have. :thmsup: Look at the coach he had in Indy. haha

I have to agree with you on that one. He was suited up and warmed up and then he didn't play. Always looked fishy to me. If history repeats itself seems like when we cut or don't re-sign players they always do better on another team. Time will tell and look at the coach he will have. :thmsup: Look at the coach he had in Indy. haha

exactly! hahah completely with you on that one. hed just be on the sideline, sometimes came in for a couple plays here and there, but it was meaningless.

I think the Gonzo signing is a hit or a miss. He'll either pan out and get a lot of catches and yards with Brady, or he'll barely play and get injured + get cut. Risky signing by the Pats, but let's see how it ends up.

My gut tells me that he'll reach his substantial potential there, and we will be complaining about it for years to come.

That would be just our luck too. Grigson refuses to renew his contract, Gonzo get released, & he florishes under Brady. Great just great...Gonzo becomes a WR star for our arch rival New England Patriots.

I think the Gonzo signing is a hit or a miss. He'll either pan out and get a lot of catches and yards with Brady, or he'll barely play and get injured + get cut. Risky signing by the Pats, but let's see how it ends up.

seems a LOW risk High reward thing per this writer..

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4719243/opinion-on-gonzalez-signing

That would be just our luck too. Grigson refuses to renew his contract, Gonzo get released, & he florishes under Brady. Great just great...Gonzo becomes a WR star for our arch rival New England Patriots.

I just don't see it unless he is wide open due to the double TE assault coupled with wild wild wes in the slot....

I just don't see it unless he is wide open due to the double TE assault coupled with wild wild wes in the slot....

Why? He had no problems getting open for the Colts. His problem wasn't talent, it was injuries. If healthy he could have been the Colts #1 receiver by now. I'm quite sure that he's better than anything the Pats have at WR other than Welker. I'm telling you, this has bad news written all over it.

Why? He had no problems getting open for the Colts. His problem wasn't talent, it was injuries. If healthy he could have been the Colts #1 receiver by now. I'm quite sure that he's better than anything the Pats have at WR other than Welker. I'm telling you, this has bad news written all over it.

He had one good year and he is a slot receiver, which Wes occupies in their offense, if you are worried then you have every right to but I don't...good luck :)

He had one good year and he is a slot receiver, which Wes occupies in their offense, if you are worried then you have every right to but I don't...good luck :)

He is not a slot receiver - he just played slot briefly when he first started in order to get his feet wet. The reason that a first round pick was used on a receiver was that Marvin was getting old, and it takes 2-3 years for a WR to get fully up to speed. Gonzalez spent more time on the outside than in the slot, had no problems getting open, and had several big plays. His stats - including yards per catch - were terrific for someone with his experience - comparing just fine to Harrison and Wayne at a comparable time period in their careers. He was a smart guy with terrific communication with Peyton right off the bat (no "Blair White" type incidents). There was every reason to believe that he was going to be Marvins full-time replacement and possibly a star. Instead he got injured.

I'm not going to lose any sleep about him going to the Patriots, I just don't quite understand the move. He wasn't going to command much salary. If he is healthy the Colts could have used him (with Garcon leaving and Reggie getting on in years). If he's not healthy I can't imagine why the Pats would have wanted him. It begs the question of whether the Colts made an offer but he wanted a fresh start elsewhere, or if the Colts are just determined to dump anyone with an injury history. Or if something else went on last season that we don't know about that kept him off the field, and the Colts have just had enough. Very strange - and it seems to me that there is a distinct possibility that he will flourish in NE. If he does I will be happy for him, but it will still be painful.

He is not a slot receiver - he just played slot briefly when he first started in order to get his feet wet. The reason that a first round pick was used on a receiver was that Marvin was getting old, and it takes 2-3 years for a WR to get fully up to speed. Gonzalez spent more time on the outside than in the slot, had no problems getting open, and had several big plays. His stats - including yards per catch - were terrific for someone with his experience - comparing just fine to Harrison and Wayne at a comparable time period in their careers. He was a smart guy with terrific communication with Peyton right off the bat (no "Blair White" type incidents). There was every reason to believe that he was going to be Marvins full-time replacement and possibly a star. Instead he got injured.

I'm not going to lose any sleep about him going to the Patriots, I just don't quite understand the move. He wasn't going to command much salary. If he is healthy the Colts could have used him (with Garcon leaving and Reggie getting on in years). If he's not healthy I can't imagine why the Pats would have wanted him. It begs the question of whether the Colts made an offer but he wanted a fresh start elsewhere, or if the Colts are just determined to dump anyone with an injury history. Or if something else went on last season that we don't know about that kept him off the field, and the Colts have just had enough. Very strange - and it seems to me that there is a distinct possibility that he will flourish in NE. If he does I will be happy for him, but it will still be painful.

If you aren't going to lose any sleep you are sure going to alot of trouble to defend him? He is a slot receiver regardless of the receivers that were on the team when he was drafted and not worth defending as he benefited from having Harrison, Wayne and Clark........he did that for 1 year.

If you aren't going to lose any sleep you are sure going to alot of trouble to defend him? He is a slot receiver regardless of the receivers that were on the team when he was drafted and not worth defending as he benefited from having Harrison, Wayne and Clark........he did that for 1 year.

A lot of trouble? I'm communicating on a message board. This is called "fun", until someone twists the argument and makes it personal.

You made a denigrating comment about a player supported by a miss-statement. Personally I prefer to have my opinions molded by the facts instead of the other way around, so I thought that I would set the record straight. If you don't respect the guy regardless, that's your prerogative, and if I want to "go to a lot of trouble" that's mine.

A lot of trouble? I'm communicating on a message board. This is called "fun", until someone twists the argument and makes it personal.

You made a denigrating comment about a player supported by a miss-statement. Personally I prefer to have my opinions molded by the facts instead of the other way around, so I thought that I would set the record straight. If you don't respect the guy regardless, that's your prerogative, and if I want to "go to a lot of trouble" that's mine.

Wow! Now that I have read your umpteenth retort regarding the unseemingly infinite ability of Anthony Gonzalez, I agree....we will rue the day he signed with New England.

I wish him the best, I would say he was a good wide receiver before he got injured but honestly I dont remember the last time he played, but Im glad hes getting a chance in new england, if he stays healthy I see Tom Brady making him into something good