Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Starting corners/The Starting Corners for the Colts!!!!

MoM

The perfect scenario would be for Kevin Thomas to turn into the next coming of Deion Sanders, but in reality I'm fine with Powers and Lacey. Lacey and Tryon are close to equals in my book, and I don't see why everyone's hating on Lacey. The kid is going to develop into a quality starter. Lacey needs to develop a better press and get better at recognizing play action and double moves, but his coverage is solid and he plays the ball well when it's in the air. I also think he plays the run better than Tryon (just my opinion).

Hopefully our line forces enough bad passes to make anyone look good.

I remember last year when i said that jacob lacey was horrible and then i got attacked by almost everybody. I'm glad people are seeing the light now!! Powers is amazing and Justin Tryon is decent, I would welcome back Hayden if he came back at a reduced price since does an alright job when healthy.

Hayden hasnot played up to his contract and so the Colts decided to cut loose those who wouldn't reduce their inflated contract. So Hayden did play well enough to warrant a spot, in our system, but he does not play man to man and has been on the injury list quite a bit. I would say the market will be limited for him and he will not see a big contract from anyone with sense. I hate the fact he was overpaid and had to leave but maybe that sets up others to understand, poor play = decreased money or loss of job from the team. I think the team may have been holding their breath and hoping for a little production from Thomas (think thats his name) the 2nd year back who never made it out of camp healthy last year and unfortunately, he is listed on that injury list again already.

Guest BlueShoe

Take your pick. I'll be absolutely stunned if Jacob Lacey gets the starting job. With what we've got, I'm hoping to see Powers and Tryon take the field.

Yeah, I think Powers and Tryon are the best two we have.

We have to look at it this way though - Lacy is going to play and do we really want him in the nickel against Welker or Welker type players? It might be better to play him outside against a slower (less elusive) receiver and keep Tryon in the nickel.

Take your pick. I'll be absolutely stunned if Jacob Lacey gets the starting job. With what we've got, I'm hoping to see Powers and Tryon take the field.

My opinion...

# 1's: Jerraud Powers & Justin Tryon

# 2's: Jacob Lacey & Kevin Thomas

# 3's: Cornelious Brown & Chris Rucker

Powers: Best Corner on the Colts, Potential Pro Bowler. Before he got injured was on pace for about 80 tackles. He played well enough his rookie year to be mentioned in the conversation as a defensive rookie of the year candidate.

Tryon: Biggest Steal for the Colts in the last few years, More solid player than Lacey in my opinion. Should be opposite to Powers as the starting Corner but probably won't be.

Jacob Lacey: He is actually a decent Corner, but reminds me of Kelvin Hayden in way because he always finds a way to get beat deep and he doesn't have enough recovery speed to make up for his mental errors. Although, he will probably be opposite of Powers at the starting Corner position because of his familiarity with the system over Tryon, but Tryon will beat him out halfway through the season to earn the starting role.

Kevin Thomas: We've never seen him on the field, but from the looks of it has very good athletic ability and may surprise us.

Cornelious Brownn: I was shocked that this guy as an undrafted free agent made the squad... well eventually, but he did prove himself to be a decent open field tackler when given the opportunity and he could be the difference we need when it comes to giving our Corners some depth this year.

Chris Rucker: From the look of it has some amazing ability, but had off the field issues... we'll see how he turns out, the other more experienced DB's can give him the courage he needs to focus on football and not off the field issues.

The perfect scenario would be for Kevin Thomas to turn into the next coming of Deion Sanders, but in reality I'm fine with Powers and Lacey. Lacey and Tryon are close to equals in my book, and I don't see why everyone's hating on Lacey. The kid is going to develop into a quality starter. Lacey needs to develop a better press and get better at recognizing play action and double moves, but his coverage is solid and he plays the ball well when it's in the air. I also think he plays the run better than Tryon (just my opinion).

Hopefully our line forces enough bad passes to make anyone look good.

+1 thank you, Lacey aint bad at all i expect both Powers and Lacey to have a stellar year.

Exactly, ruksak. But the threads have now been merged and so everyone can carry on the same conversation..with details! :)

Oh... Hahaha, are you the one who merged the topics? clever idea!

Btw... I am new to this forum so :worthy: I didn't know you someone could do that ahhahaha lol

Oh... Hahaha, are you the one who merged the topics? clever idea!

Btw... I am new to this forum so :worthy: I didn't know you someone could do that ahhahaha lol

Well, welcome to the forum. Yep, *I* can merge threads...it is part of my job as one of the forum mods. ;)

I think the starting corners as of now are Powers and Tryon. I am comfortable with Powers being a starter, but still a little iffy on Tryon. I know he has tons of potential and played very well last season, but for some reason, I'm not completely sold on him yet. I hope he proves me wrong though.

Yeah, I think Powers and Tryon are the best two we have.

We have to look at it this way though - Lacy is going to play and do we really want him in the nickel against Welker or Welker type players? It might be better to play him outside against a slower (less elusive) receiver and keep Tryon in the nickel.

The Colts like to do that... when they bring in their nickle back they will move the better tackling CB to the inside, which is usually one of the starters, and put the nickle back on the outside.

And I agree with you about Powers and Tryon. Tryon played good ball for the Colts last year and I think he will benefit greatly from going through a training camp. He has more quickness and explosion than any CB the Colts have had for a long time.

Guest BlueShoe

I think the starting corners as of now are Powers and Tryon. I am comfortable with Powers being a starter, but still a little iffy on Tryon. I know he has tons of potential and played very well last season, but for some reason, I'm not completely sold on him yet. I hope he proves me wrong though.

He didn't fit what Washington did and that's why they traded him. Tryon is a zone corner who can play some man. Washington wanted him to be a man corner. He fits us perfect.

So yeah, I am sold. He was our best corner last season.

The Colts like to do that... when they bring in their nickle back they will move the better tackling CB to the inside, which is usually one of the starters, and put the nickle back on the outside.

And I agree with you about Powers and Tryon. Tryon played good ball for the Colts last year and I think he will benefit greatly from going through a training camp. He has more quickness and explosion than any CB the Colts have had for a long time.

Agree. Powers played Andre Johnson, Ocho Cinco, Wes Welker, and even Antonio Gates in the slot when teams put their best wideout in the slot, that is why they did not go off on us last year. The downside of that was, Lacey had to be on the outside once Hayden got injured and since he is not as bulky as Hayden on the outside, had to give up a cushion since he could not jam as well, being about 15 lbs or more lighter than Hayden. That is where we will miss Hayden on the outside. That is why it would be nice if we gave some time to a Chris Rucker or Cornelius Brown in TC, on the outside. I liked the job Cornelius Brown did on Deion Branch in the Pats game last year, he deserves a shot, IMO, in such situations when Powers has to play inside.