Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question About Mike Wallace

The Steelers put a 1st round tender on Wallace, and obviously we're not giving up the #1 pick. But does the 1st rounder have to be the team's actual pick? Could we trade up just 2 picks to the Giants or another late 1st team and give that 1st away to sign Wallace?

If we strike out in FA, and lose Reggie as well as Garcon would anyone be interested in this if we could do it? He became a star in Pittsburgh under Bruce Arian's offense so maybe he'll want to come to Indy. It shouldn't take too much to trade up from 34 to 32 or 30.

Basically, the Patriots can give up their best first round pick to the Steelers and get Mike Wallace. :(

Yes, the round of the pick has to match the tender.

So Mike Wallace has no say in the matter and has to go to the highest bidder?

So lets say we trade up with New York for the 32nd pick, and want to sign Mike Wallace. But then New Engalnd shows interest in them and offers their 31st pick, and Mike Wallace has to sign there? Or, can Mike Wallace decide that he wants to come to Indy and when we sign him we have to sign his tender too? So basically Mike Wallace doesn't really control where he plays next year? Sorry I'm just a little confused on this :).

So Mike Wallace has no say in the matter and has to go to the highest bidder?

So lets say we trade up with New York for the 32nd pick, and want to sign Mike Wallace. But then New Engalnd shows interest in them and offers their 31st pick, and Mike Wallace has to sign there? Or, can Mike Wallace decide that he wants to come to Indy and when we sign him we have to sign his tender too? So basically Mike Wallace doesn't really control where he plays next year? Sorry I'm just a little confused on this :).

Not quite. The player has to negotiate with the other team in the first place. A player can refuse to negotiate if he doesn't want to. If that other team and the player/agent come to an agreement, that becomes the new offer. The original team can then match, but not up, that contract. If they don't match it, they lose the player and get the pick (if there is compensation). If they do, the player stays for whatever that deal is.

Not quite. The player has to negotiate with the other team in the first place. A player can refuse to negotiate if he doesn't want to. If that other team and the player/agent come to an agreement, that becomes the new offer. The original team can then match, but not up, that contract. If they don't match it, they lose the player and get the pick (if there is compensation). If they do, the player stays for whatever that deal is.

Ok, that's what I thought. So while the chances are obviously very slim, Mike Wallace could choose to follow Arians to Indy we could trade up a few spots to sign him if the Steelers can't because of their cap heck.

The Steelers put a 1st round tender on Wallace, and obviously we're not giving up the #1 pick. But does the 1st rounder have to be the team's actual pick? Could we trade up just 2 picks to the Giants or another late 1st team and give that 1st away to sign Wallace?

If we strike out in FA, and lose Reggie as well as Garcon would anyone be interested in this if we could do it? He became a star in Pittsburgh under Bruce Arian's offense so maybe he'll want to come to Indy. It shouldn't take too much to trade up from 34 to 32 or 30.

Reggie just signed but if he had not I would hate to give up precious picks and a high salary for Wallace.

Ok, that's what I thought. So while the chances are obviously very slim, Mike Wallace could choose to follow Arians to Indy we could trade up a few spots to sign him if the Steelers can't because of their cap heck.

I believe a team has to give it's actual 1st round pick(not one they received in trade) ... we couldn't trade up to 32 and trade that one, we would be required to give up our 1st overall pick. The Patriots would be very well off because they would not have a choice of which pick they gave, they could only give their 31st pick. The Patriots situation might be one of the rare cases where a team can actually justify going after a 1st rnd tendered player.

I think the Steelers have to keep him. I mean, REALLY have to keep him.

Lo behold, the Broncos get him along with Peyton. That wouldn't be good for the AFC. Neither would the Pats getting their hands on him. But the Broncos have the cap room, hence the mention.