Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Look Out - Houston Is Now In The Manning Race

Peyton and Eli fan

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of football law against rooting for teams in your own division unless circumstances dictate them winning works out for you.

If they weren't in the division I'd probably root for them too.

(Confession, I was rooting for them in this year's playoffs, but don't tell anyone)

Considering the options in the final 4 in the AFC.....it was slim pickins.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This statement seems a little hypocritical to me. Your not a Peyton Manning fan if you do that. If your a fan of him, then you'll support him no matter where he goes. The Texan's give him a great place to have a chance to win, so why wouldn't you want that for him?

Agreed and I for one want that for him, without question!

But then again there has been hypocrisy throughout this process. If you go back and look it was said by several that this team would NOT be able to contend so why would Peyton want to play here, he should go to a SB contender blah blah blah now that he is cut it is..... well you never know how this team might do next year blah blah blah.

Just so you know this is NOT in reference to you at all just an example of the mentality and how it varies depending on who gets what they want. It IS possible to be both a Colt and Manning fan. It is entirely also possible to wish both well. It is also possible that some are NOT Manning fans and would not wish him well where ever he may go, some just do not want to admit that is the case.

I think its Miami or Denver..Jules.....and I'm okay with either..and I hope he'll decide TUesday

Not sure if he goes to Miami but that idea seems the most interesting to me. Brady vs. Manning to battle it out for the division in their later years seems like the biggest challenge Peyton can present himself with at this time.

Come on Peyton.....do it. Go deal with the evil empire. lmao

Why should anyone in Indy mind if Peyton signs with the Texans or the Titans. Let's face it, we are rebuilding and there is no chance of another SB run for at least three years. By then, Peyton will be retiring. If one of those teams gives him the chance to win another ring, I say good for him. At the end of the day, he was cut by Irsay so that he could continue his career somewhere else that has a chance to win it all. That may well be Houston, but I'm hoping for Denver.

And how about their passing yards?? Ah.... grasshopper.. Why did Denver have NO passing yards? Stack the line on Manning and see what happens.

That Denver defense will look better when & if they have a quarterback completing passes at a 50% higher rate than the previous one.

Well of course their passing game will get better. No argument there. But I do retract my statement. I thought Denver controlled the ball longer than they actually did. Seems they held the ball for only 27 minutes.

I'm still mad at Miami for those butt kicking Dan Marino used to give us.

Never liked Marino myself. Or Elway. Or really our divison rivals.

I don't think I will be liking his new team.

Unless he heads to Arizona where honestly I don't care much for them and I like red birds.

They're having cap troubles and they just released Winston. It would also be tough to manage Yates, Schaub, Manning and Leinart. Plus the Texans are in the COlts division and that's something PM doesn't want to do: interfere with the Colts. The Texans may want him, but they'll realize that it's extremely tough to get him. But if they get him, they're my SB favorites.

They're having cap troubles and they just released Winston. It would also be tough to manage Yates, Schaub, Manning and Leinart. Plus the Texans are in the COlts division and that's something PM doesn't want to do: interfere with the Colts. The Texans may want him, but they'll realize that it's extremely tough to get him. But if they get him, they're my SB favorites.

Yes the Texans are not loaded with money.

But, are the Titans? I am no cap expert.......

Maybe for the colts, but it is probably the best case scenario for Peyton Manning. The Texan's are one of the most talented teams in the NFL, so it would be a good landing spot for him. They also need a #2 receiver, and Reggie Wayne would fit that bill very nicely.

I completely agree. I was stating worst case scenario for us fans that have to see Peyton play for another team. The Texans are the last team I want to see him play for. Although if he did it wouldn't bother me because I never seem them as a rival really

Well IMO playing for the Texans is not what's best for him. He should go win with a more neutral team, not the Colts rival. If he played for Arizona, Denver, or Miami, his Colts fans wont hold any hard feelings. Everyone can get behind those choices.

In the eyes of us fans I agree it isn't the best team for him. It'll hurt so much to watch him during the game while in another uniform. Then to endure that twice a year. It really hurts. In reality for a Super Bowl win Texans are a great team for him. They could've done it last year if Matt Schaub didn't get injured. Unfortunately we have to suffer as fans watching Peyton play for someone else.

I'm trading on Manning like "The Rock" joining The Corporation. Just kidding though. It's going to hurt to see Manning yelling "black 11, black dela hut" for another team. It's also going to be interesting to see who we draft. Some people think we're going Luck, but we can flip the script and get Poe or RG3.

Yes the Texans are not loaded with money.

But, are the Titans? I am no cap expert.......

Neither am I, but according to PFT, they have 28.1M dollars with 14 FAs. They have more than enough to sign PM, even after the FA signings and the draft.

I have been a Colt fan for 14 years and followed this forum for years but never posted here before now. Here is a little background. I grew up a fan of Archie and followed Peyton at Tenn and was devastated when he didn't win the Heisman, which I thought he deserved. I pull for Eli and am thrilled at his success. At the time the Colts drafted Peyton I was a Falcon fan (closest team to me) and I immediately became a Colt fan and I will remain one unless Colt fans turn on him. I know his release was just business, but it hurt me because it hurt Peyton - my children have grown up looking up to him - he is just a great role model and athlete!!!

For 14 years Peyton carried this team; he made mediocre talent look great; everyone in NFL says he is top 5 of all time; he was his biggest critic when they lost any game; he took responsibility for losing; he never talked badly about his fellow teammates; he gave back to your city ten-fold; he never once humiliated you or your city (and that is getting rare these days); his work ethic is touted by everyone in the NFL as the best; AND his HEART clearly belongs to the Colts and to Indianapolis as evidenced by his fairwell speech (which I still can't watch without crying). Peyton handled his release, as he did his entire career with the Colts, with class - and who did he thank? He thanked all of you for giving him the honor of being your quarterback!!! What does he get in return?

Since last week, I have been reading all the posts on all these threads and I just had to sign up and give my perspective from someone who is not a "True Colt Fan". I know you don't care what I think, but I just have to get it off my chest! Really, go through and read all the comments since last week - all I can say is I am disappointed and amazed. I am having a difficult time reading the comments from all the "True Colt Fans" on this forum about where Peyton should and shouldn't go; how YOU will not support him if he goes to a certain team, how he was paid so much money for not doing anything last year; how it is time for him to retire, blah, blah, blah - seriously go back and read some of this garbage!

REALLY, if that is what it means to be a "True Colt Fan" then I am glad I do not fall into that category! Peyton never missed a game; played hurt, and never complained. He wanted to be a Colt but in the end his choice was either to retire or be released. I think all of you know that he is the master of preparation and if he believes he can play then that is good enough for me and it should be good enough for you! EVERYONE who is a Colts fan should be cheering him every time he takes the field, regardless of the team or whether he wins or loses. You should cheer the fact that he loves his job (how many of you can say that?); is still displaying that awesome work ethic (first one to get to work and last to leave - how many of you can say that?); still being a great role model!

Peyton wants another ring and all Colts fans or Manning fans should be praying he gets his chance with whatever team he chooses. The feeling of the Colts fans should not be in the picture - as many have posted on here - he is no longer your quarterback! The Texans are obviously his best chance at another Super Bowl if they even give him an offer. Some of you are even comparing that possible move to Bret Farve - REALLY??? Please people - that is such a stretch!!! Peyton isn't after limelight and you all know it! He is just a 36 yr-old who is still chasing his dreams and this fan is just shocked so many of you want to extinguish it!

Do not put strings on Peyton's future. He certainly does not deserve that from any Colt fan - true or otherwise. He knows the risks - he knows the pressure that will be on him to perform and he is ready to take that risk. Has he not at least earned that much respect from Colt fans after 14 years???

I'm still mad at Miami for those butt kicking Dan Marino used to give us.

They weren't really butt kickings. The Colts went 1-3 vs Marino, and when they lost, they lost by a total margin of 25 points (8.3 points). It wasn't that bad and I even remember watching those games and it was pretty close, except the 2 games in 98, and those weren't that bad. Our young GOAT gave thier GOAT a tough time. :thmup:

I'm still going with Miami. I don't think Peyton would be comfortable coming in and stealing someone's job which he would be doing in every situation except for Miami and San Fran if they don't resign Smith but they probably will. Miami seems like the only place he'll avoid QB controversy.

If he is healthy it will be great to get our butt's kicked by Houston & Peyton twice a year for 2 or 3 years. YEA FOR US!! :banana:

Dude, the Texans would probably kick our butts anyway. Then again they have yet to win in Indy......

Agreed and I for one want that for him, without question!

But then again there has been hypocrisy throughout this process. If you go back and look it was said by several that this team would NOT be able to contend so why would Peyton want to play here, he should go to a SB contender blah blah blah now that he is cut it is..... well you never know how this team might do next year blah blah blah.

Just so you know this is NOT in reference to you at all just an example of the mentality and how it varies depending on who gets what they want. It IS possible to be both a Colt and Manning fan. It is entirely also possible to wish both well. It is also possible that some are NOT Manning fans and would not wish him well where ever he may go, some just do not want to admit that is the case.

I agree 100% and I hope he kicks edit wherever he goes (regardless of what team he signs with). The man deserves more rings. With a healthy Peyton and a solid all-around team, he has a good chance. How can anyone not hope for the best for him?

Dude, the Texans would probably kick our butts anyway. Then again they have yet to win in Indy......

Not with Peyton or the players we cut. Jules I like you and respect your opinion, but IMO we are a REALLY BAD TEAM RIGHT NOW. 2 wins next year may be pushing it! Peyton on Houston. They may WIN the Super Bowl & maybe more than one if he is healthy!

Not with Peyton or the players we cut. Jules I like you and respect your opinion, but IMO we are a REALLY BAD TEAM RIGHT NOW. 2 wins next year may be pushing it! Peyton on Houston. They may WIN the Super Bowl & maybe more than one if he is healthy!

Why are people so worried about how many games we win next year if they think we suck regardless? Just sit back and see how the offseason unfolds and what the team kinda looks like at the end of preseason. Enjoy the new guys and the reports and the new era. See how it unfolds.

We were not winning a title next year anyway. So relax.

No team is guaranteed to win a title next year anyway. None. I don't care WHO they sign. The NFL is funny that way. There will be suprise teams. There will be teams who let you down. There will be a darkhorse or two in the playoffs. It's the beauty of the NFL. It's a long season.

We won 2 games last year with the first place schedule and Painter/Caldwell and many guys injured. If the bar for new Colts is 2 wins then take it. Low expectations can be good for the soul for a change.

Thats my inspirational speech for the moment.

Just ride it out.

Why are people so worried about how many games we win next year if they think we suck regardless? Just sit back and see how the offseason unfolds and what the team kinda looks like at the end of preseason. Enjoy the new guys and the reports and the new era. See how it unfolds.

We were not winning a title next year anyway. So relax.

No team is guaranteed to win a title next year anyway. None. I don't care WHO they sign. The NFL is funny that way. There will be suprise teams. There will be teams who let you down. There will be a darkhorse or two in the playoffs. It's the beauty of the NFL. It's a long season.

We won 2 games last year with the first place schedule and Painter/Caldwell and many guys injured. If the bar for new Colts is 2 wins then take it. Low expectations can be good for the soul for a change.

Thats my inspirational speech for the moment.

Just ride it out.

I hear you coach, I guess I am not there yet, but will be. Honestly I hope we see improvement & don't win a lot of ball games as we will get 2 years in a row picking near the top of the draft & young guys playing & improving. That ONLY works if we pick wisely. With our ROOKIE GM!

I have been a Colt fan for 14 years and followed this forum for years but never posted here before now. Here is a little background. I grew up a fan of Archie and followed Peyton at Tenn and was devastated when he didn't win the Heisman, which I thought he deserved. I pull for Eli and am thrilled at his success. At the time the Colts drafted Peyton I was a Falcon fan (closest team to me) and I immediately became a Colt fan and I will remain one unless Colt fans turn on him. I know his release was just business, but it hurt me because it hurt Peyton - my children have grown up looking up to him - he is just a great role model and athlete!!!

For 14 years Peyton carried this team; he made mediocre talent look great; everyone in NFL says he is top 5 of all time; he was his biggest critic when they lost any game; he took responsibility for losing; he never talked badly about his fellow teammates; he gave back to your city ten-fold; he never once humiliated you or your city (and that is getting rare these days); his work ethic is touted by everyone in the NFL as the best; AND his HEART clearly belongs to the Colts and to Indianapolis as evidenced by his fairwell speech (which I still can't watch without crying). Peyton handled his release, as he did his entire career with the Colts, with class - and who did he thank? He thanked all of you for giving him the honor of being your quarterback!!! What does he get in return?

Since last week, I have been reading all the posts on all these threads and I just had to sign up and give my perspective from someone who is not a "True Colt Fan". I know you don't care what I think, but I just have to get it off my chest! Really, go through and read all the comments since last week - all I can say is I am disappointed and amazed. I am having a difficult time reading the comments from all the "True Colt Fans" on this forum about where Peyton should and shouldn't go; how YOU will not support him if he goes to a certain team, how he was paid so much money for not doing anything last year; how it is time for him to retire, blah, blah, blah - seriously go back and read some of this garbage!

REALLY, if that is what it means to be a "True Colt Fan" then I am glad I do not fall into that category! Peyton never missed a game; played hurt, and never complained. He wanted to be a Colt but in the end his choice was either to retire or be released. I think all of you know that he is the master of preparation and if he believes he can play then that is good enough for me and it should be good enough for you! EVERYONE who is a Colts fan should be cheering him every time he takes the field, regardless of the team or whether he wins or loses. You should cheer the fact that he loves his job (how many of you can say that?); is still displaying that awesome work ethic (first one to get to work and last to leave - how many of you can say that?); still being a great role model!

Peyton wants another ring and all Colts fans or Manning fans should be praying he gets his chance with whatever team he chooses. The feeling of the Colts fans should not be in the picture - as many have posted on here - he is no longer your quarterback! The Texans are obviously his best chance at another Super Bowl if they even give him an offer. Some of you are even comparing that possible move to Bret Farve - REALLY??? Please people - that is such a stretch!!! Peyton isn't after limelight and you all know it! He is just a 36 yr-old who is still chasing his dreams and this fan is just shocked so many of you want to extinguish it!

Do not put strings on Peyton's future. He certainly does not deserve that from any Colt fan - true or otherwise. He knows the risks - he knows the pressure that will be on him to perform and he is ready to take that risk. Has he not at least earned that much respect from Colt fans after 14 years???

:goat: :manning:

I hear you coach, I guess I am not there yet, but will be. Honestly I hope we see improvement & don't win a lot of ball games as we will get 2 years in a row picking near the top of the draft & young guys playing & improving. That ONLY works if we pick wisely. With our ROOKIE GM!

I hope we win enough to energize the fans. But, I am not expecting the world or anything lol. Like you, I have no idea what this team will look like come fall.

I have been a Colt fan for 14 years and followed this forum for years but never posted here before now. Here is a little background. I grew up a fan of Archie and followed Peyton at Tenn and was devastated when he didn't win the Heisman, which I thought he deserved. I pull for Eli and am thrilled at his success. At the time the Colts drafted Peyton I was a Falcon fan (closest team to me) and I immediately became a Colt fan and I will remain one unless Colt fans turn on him.

Can someone please explain to me how in the world people just decide to become fans of another team? I never got this.

Can someone please explain to me how in the world people just decide to become fans of another team? I never got this.

Maybe because as she posted the Falcons team was the team closer to her and I'm guessing she likes football. The rest of the post said she is a Eli fan and was a fan of Archie so she is following the Manning family. Not really hard to understand and I bet there are a lot of OP that like both the Manning QB's. Thought it was a good post from an outsider that has been reading and never posted on the board before. JMO

Maybe because as she posted the Falcons team was the team closer to her and I'm guessing she likes football. The rest of the post said she is a Eli fan and was a fan of Archie so she is following the Manning family. Not really hard to understand and I bet there are a lot of OP that like both the Manning QB's. Thought it was a good post from an outsider that has been reading and never posted on the board before. JMO

I get the Falcons part, and I'm not saying you can't be fans of other players and want to see them do well. Obviously I don't know her history, maybe she grew up somewhere with no NFL team and the Falcons were the first team she was close to, but to switch like that just because another team drafts a player you like, just shows you weren't really into that other team to begin with. If Mario Williams goes to the Chargers or something I'd still like him, but I wouldn't become a Chargers fan. That's...no.

It's not really hard to understand.

I was born in Indianapolis, raised in NW Indiana in the Chicago TV viewing area, joined the service and got transferred a lot, move to Texas after discharge, move back to Indiana.

I didn't have a lot of choice as to which team was my favorite until I came home again when I chose the Colts over the more local Bears so sometimes a favorite team isn't something that just happens. You have to think about it for a while.