Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prisco thinks Gabbert could start

Guest BlueShoe

Guest BlueShoe
"Let me start this column by saying it is not another shot at David Garrard. I mean it. Really.

It's praise for Blaine Gabbert.

What I saw on the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice field Thursday night from Gabbert, the team's top pick in the April draft, is like nothing I've witnessed on any of the Jaguars' practice fields in the 16 years they've been in existence."

"Gabbert throws ropes," Prisco writes. "There were three consecutive passes he threw for touchdowns in a red zone drill Thursday that buzzed by the heads of the defensive backs, barely getting above helmet level. He made two seam throws that Garrard doesn't make -- or won't make."

I have strongly believed that Gabbert was the best QB in the entire draft since January. So none of this surprises me. I am on board with Prisco here and believe that we will have a tough fight from the Jags for the division when Gabbert takes the reins and has some time to develop.

For some reason, and I can't put my finger on it, I'm not a big fan of Gabbert. I don't know if it's because I find he comes off arrogant or because of his decision to not throw at the Combine or whatever it is, I'm just not a fan. With that said, he is certainly talented and seems like he will be a good QB in the NFL. Mike Mayock also had him listed as the best QB in the draft, but he fell to the 10th pick behind QBs Newton and Locker. That might raise some red flags though, why would a QB needy team like Tennessee not select Gabbert and go with the more inaccurate Locker?

Peyton didn't throw in the combine and look how he turned out... I think the reason those other QB needy teams didn't pick Gabbert is because he came from a spread offense. Locker has accuracy problems and that doesn't bode well for NFL QB's historically speaking. I think Gabbert will make the Jags very competitive in the future, not this year perhaps but in years to come.

Peyton didn't throw in the combine and look how he turned out... I think the reason those other QB needy teams didn't pick Gabbert is because he came from a spread offense. Locker has accuracy problems and that doesn't bode well for NFL QB's historically speaking. I think Gabbert will make the Jags very competitive in the future, not this year perhaps but in years to come.

I don't like it when QBs don't throw at the Combine. That might be why I'm iffy on Gabbert. It just feels kind of like a holdout to me because their excuses are usually something to the effect of "I am not familiar with the receivers, so I won't throw". I haven't heard any QB say a good reason as to why they didn't throw at the Combine. Scouts aren't even looking to make sure you complete the pass, they are looking at your footwork, throwing technique, release point, where you hold the ball when you drop back, etc. Did Peyton say why he didn't want to throw at the Combine?