Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Don't Be Too Upset With Irsay, Manning Is Still Not Healthy.

SilentHill

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after all the backlash at the front office and owner Jim Irsay lately for letting Manning go, I have to admit I thought it was wrong. What amazes me is this. None of the analysts are paying much attention to his health, it's almost as they are trying to pass Manning off to the media and other teams as 100% healthy and ready to play football.

FWIW I still haven't seen anything saying the nerve has regenerated, I haven't seen anything that shows me that he can even return to the NFL QB level. Today I was giving it some thought, and I do remember something about Irsay saying that he would keep Manning if healthy. What if the real issue behind all of this is that Manning can't play football?

Just food for thought since everyone and their mother is talking about the pre-injured Peyton Manning going to play football at other teams, but that is not even remotely the case.

What is everyone's opinion?

Peyton's health..as well as Dallas' and Bullitt's is no longer our concern.

we're 32nd among 32 teams..we have to start filling holes..

It is what he meant. Why wouldn't you come out and say your 100% and ready to play football if you were? When asked a direct question about his health he said "I still have some work to do" I'm not sure how that wouldn't be equal to he is not 100%. LOL Your love for Manning concerns and confuses me.

As does you constant negativity towards Manning.

It looked like a great amount of your, Err, view was based on the cap. Now you seemed to have, umm altered your opinion to create an arguement for my post. Specific enough?

The cap was an issue regarding keep PM.

But this was not the only issue, nor probably, was it the major issue against keeping PM.

There were other issues that outweighed the cap problems:

1) his uncertain throwing ability

2) his age

3) both which will dictate his playing years before retirement

4) contrasted with the needed direction the team will take in rebuilding (not retooling), and the time it will take before the team will be competitive for a SB run.

5) versus his need to realistically vie for SB title before retiring.

OK, once more, real slow. Paying attention?

Offense will prolly have the ball for 30 minutes of PLAYING TIME. Prolly throw about 40 passes. Got it????? Not gonna throw any passes during 30 minutes defense is on the field. Unless he wants to stay loose on the sideline...

Don't know sign language, French, German, or Polish. Can't draw you a picture...sorry.

real slow indeed, you definitely are. The original post said that you need to see him throw 40 passes in 30 minutes.... a game lasts 60 minutes....so you need to see him throw 40 passes over 60 minutes, not 30...if you need someone to hold your hand while you read this, i'm sorry, you're on your own

Yes, that was my conclusion as well. EIther BP or CP, or both, did not do a good job managing the eventual transitions between older and younger players. And we are paying the price for that mismanagement now.

Don't know if it was mismanagement or a planned all out effort at a final Super Bowl run before Manning retired. If it worked we'd probably be having the same players being offered a choice of renegotiating contracts or being released like what we're seeing.

I'm always gonna wonder if Peytons injury was aggravated by Gregg Williams "bounty" program, that last season that might have ended in a Lombardi Trophy......if only.

Here's a quote from Mort's latest article -

Manning did not work out for either team but he openly discussed his progress from neck surgeries that caused him to miss the 2011 season. Manning already had released his medical files related to his injury prior to teams that have requested the information.

Manning has stated he has made considerable progress throwing while his nerves have regenerated and his right arm has strengthened to the point where sources say his velocity has increased, he is able to throw the NFL's traditional passing routes and his distances have routinely reached 50 yards.

Report earlier today his arm strength while improving is sill "far off"

http://profootballta...-still-far-off/

http://sports.yahoo....ouraging_030912

Profootballtalk is just referencing the Yahoo article, and Yahoo Sports is like the National Enquire of sports.

There are too many conflicting reports in regards to Manning's arm.

When asked about his arm, Manning simply said, "there's still work to be done". He says the same words after torching defenses, passing 6TD's in a game, and getting perfect passer ratings. The guy is a perfectionist.

I've also heard that he's been out throwing/overthrowing his receivers during workouts.

The lesson to be learned here is no one really knows. So lets just stop speculating, and just wait and see.

Right now we should be focused on Draft Day. Let the Manning talk rest for now.

Manning has stated he has made considerable progress throwing while his nerves have regenerated and his right arm has strengthened to the point where sources say his velocity has increased, he is able to throw the NFL's traditional passing routes and his distances have routinely reached 50 yards.

Yes, that is all very well, but what I really want to know is if he can throw the NFL's traditional passing routes and distances with NFL velocity (not an increased velocity from who knows what baseline)?

If I were the GM of a team looking to sign PM, I would not begin negotiations until I, my coaching staff and my trainers and doctors have observed him work out for us.

Yes, that is all very well, but what I really want to know is if he can throw the NFL's traditional passing routes and distances with NFL velocity (not an increased velocity from who knows what baseline)?

If I were the GM of a team looking to sign PM, I would not begin negotiations until I, my coaching staff and my trainers and doctors have observed him work out for us.

It's only been 6 months since the fusion. Recovery is supposed to take 12 to 18 months. They have to take a gamble, because he's not fully healed - nor should he be yet at this point. They have to rely on the doctors to project what he'll be doing by August and September.

It's only been 6 months since the fusion. Recovery is supposed to take 12 to 18 months. They have to take a gamble, because he's not fully healed - nor should he be yet at this point. They have to rely on the doctors to project what he'll be doing by August and September.

If you were the GM of a team looking to sign PM, what type of contract would you recommend to your owner (for approval)?

How will you structure it to minimize the risk of paying too much money for a player that may never be able physically to play at the expected level you contracted him to play?

Will such a low-to-non-existent-guaranteed money contract be attractive enough for PM to accept?

I think the clock started ticking in april or whatever, when his nerve was first injured. I think it's optimism that he has much improvement to go, and I think it's concerning that he has not released quality footage of throwing by now... I'd love to be wrong, and I hope I am.

This was a related post I'm too lazy to retype...

I think Irsay knew manning would be hot on the free agent market, and was sure enough he wouldn't play well again. I think manning knows the first part of this, and hopes that the second can be overcome. The money made it easier but wasn't the deciding factor, perhaps?

We'll see.

As does you constant negativity towards Manning.

Constant negativity? what are you talking about. I think you have me confused with someone else. There is no negativity here, I'm just trying to speculate on a reason why he was let go. You need to chill, you obviously take your love for Manning way too seriously.

I belive the term is 'the pot calling the kettle black'. Your always belittling posters and im suppose to be the troll? lmao

I don't think I'm in the minority when I tell you that you are the troll.

Furthermore, you just take personal shots at me while having total disregard for all the evidence I provided you. Your still in the "Denial" stage of grief, and that is OK. Let it all out.

Peyton's health..as well as Dallas' and Bullitt's is no longer our concern.

we're 32nd among 32 teams..we have to start filling holes..

I agree, this thread was just to ease the blow to everyone that doesn't have an obsession with Peyton Manning, that maybe there was a real good reason we didn't re-sign Manning.

This is my opinion...nothing more. I do not believe the final decision was made by Jim, I think it was made by Peyton and this is why.

Regardless of many of the issues that are being cited as the reasons that PM was let go, I think there was one unworkable issue.

I can see a way that Jim could work with Peyton's health, age, contract, etc. We can all see how it could be done, and that is why so

many who love PM are upset at how this went down. Just because I defend the Horseshoe now, doesn't mean it didn't tear me up

as well.

I offer to you that Jim explained that Bill P. had kept pushing the hard end of everyone's contract in an effort to make good on keeping

the team together for another SB run. He did with several. But a chain of events happened, that changed everything. Peyton was injured

significantly for the first time in his career. The team performance plummeted. Polian's dangerous ignoring of the future while juggling the

ultimate goal of a SB with the teams long term ability to provide a quality product was exposed. Had Peyton's injury not occurred and the

Colts won another title, Polian would have likely retired a genius. So he explained to Peyton, and it must have been heartbreaking for both,

that the weight of mismanaged contracts and players time lines with the team, had to be addressed. Luck was I'm sure part of the conversation,

but not as big as many think. He essentially explained that the main core of Colts, many of them his best friends, was over in a large part and

that he should know that before making a decision to rework a contract at this point in his career.

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the real and heartfelt tears that PM was choking on in that presser were perhaps because he himself

had made the decision? Wouldn't he feel liked he looked like he felt? Just think about it for a minute. Isn't it possible that both men decided to

call it a mutual decision out of respect for each other? Tell me, if this is how it went down, how would those feel who are burning effigies of our

owner right now?

This is my opinion...nothing more. I do not believe the final decision was made by Jim, I think it was made by Peyton and this is why.

Regardless of many of the issues that are being cited as the reasons that PM was let go, I think there was one unworkable issue.

I can see a way that Jim could work with Peyton's health, age, contract, etc. We can all see how it could be done, and that is why so

many who love PM are upset at how this went down. Just because I defend the Horseshoe now, doesn't mean it didn't tear me up

as well.

I offer to you that Jim explained that Bill P. had kept pushing the hard end of everyone's contract in an effort to make good on keeping

the team together for another SB run. He did with several. But a chain of events happened, that changed everything. Peyton was injured

significantly for the first time in his career. The team performance plummeted. Polian's dangerous ignoring of the future while juggling the

ultimate goal of a SB with the teams long term ability to provide a quality product was exposed. Had Peyton's injury not occurred and the

Colts won another title, Polian would have likely retired a genius. So he explained to Peyton, and it must have been heartbreaking for both,

that the weight of mismanaged contracts and players time lines with the team, had to be addressed. Luck was I'm sure part of the conversation,

but not as big as many think. He essentially explained that the main core of Colts, many of them his best friends, was over in a large part and

that he should know that before making a decision to rework a contract at this point in his career.

Has anyone mentioned the possibility that the real and heartfelt tears that PM was choking on in that presser were perhaps because he himself

had made the decision? Wouldn't he feel liked he looked like he felt? Just think about it for a minute. Isn't it possible that both men decided to

call it a mutual decision out of respect for each other? Tell me, if this is how it went down, how would those feel who are burning effigies of our

owner right now?

I agree with You. Nothing more should be said.

I don't think I'm in the minority when I tell you that you are the troll.

Furthermore, you just take personal shots at me while having total disregard for all the evidence I provided you. Your still in the "Denial" stage of grief, and that is OK. Let it all out.

lmao. Get real. Ignoring all posts you make..... now.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Posted · Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 13, 2012 - Reponse to personal shot
Hidden by 21isSuperman, March 13, 2012 - Reponse to personal shot

lmao. Get real. Your a joke and so are your posts. Ignoring all posts you make..... now.

Thank god I wont have to listen to this insanity blabber any more. Good riddance, if you want a fairy tale, stay out of my threads anyway. I only bring what's real.

Just watch the youtube video...he has nfl velocity on that one. I can evaluate from that and I bet you all 12 teams that have reportedly been interested could evaluate just from that too. Granted they will want to see more but he worked out for 5 days and those 4 passes were with plenty of velocity and to nfl players running 4 of the most demanding routes (as far as throws go). If you can't see it clearly enough than please just overlay the video on the same routes with those same 4 routes from 2010 while he was playing. Almost identicle.

as well.

owner right now?

Look make no mistake this was Irsays decision. Did Peyton agree with it after Irsay told him he was going to blow up the team. Sure. But make no mistake the Colts had cap space at the end of the year. To resign everyone...NO...but cutting a couple people like Addai and trading Freeney would have freed up tons of space to sign back a majority of the players we might have wanted back including wayne and garcon. We would still been able to draft Luck if we wanted and used picks to build the defense...or God forbid trade that pick to really load up on youth on defense. Irsay CUT Peyton...Peyton didn't hold out for a trade or demand to be cut. Manning has also restructured his contract in the past to resign people at least twice that I am aware of and no where was it reported that he was asked to do so. Irsay and Manning did a great job of keeping things professional and classy at the news conference. I was impressed by both...but lets not say it wasn't Irsay who decided to change the direction of the franchise. Come on.

Just watch the youtube video...he has nfl velocity on that one. I can evaluate from that and I bet you all 12 teams that have reportedly been interested could evaluate just from that too. Granted they will want to see more but he worked out for 5 days and those 4 passes were with plenty of velocity and to nfl players running 4 of the most demanding routes (as far as throws go). If you can't see it clearly enough than please just overlay the video on the same routes with those same 4 routes from 2010 while he was playing. Almost identicle.

Sorry, I don't think an edited 4 throw video is enough to convince me of anything.

Sorry, I don't think an edited 4 throw video is enough to convince me of anything.

I agree. Plus, he is not being hurried or knocked down multiple times. Also, I did not see him having to throw across his body, rolling out, etc...I hope he is good to go and is productive, but I do not have enough evidence yet.

You need help. Seriously.... When the guy himself says he's not 100% and you don't believe him..... CMON MAN!

It's Peyton Manning, he never thinks he is 100% he is always trying to make himself better. That's what he said for the 14 years he was here. Hit me up her in about 6-8 months and tell me he doesn't look healthy.

It's Peyton Manning, he never thinks he is 100% he is always trying to make himself better. That's what he said for the 14 years he was here. Hit me up her in about 6-8 months and tell me he doesn't look healthy.

I will agree with you, but this scenario is different. I'm not saying he's not going to get healthy, I'm not saying he is either. I want Manning to succeed regardless what any Manning lovers want to believe, but when someone tells me that because his name is Peyton Manning, that he will return to his greatness and this injury is nothing and how he is the GOAT and will continue down his road of excellence that is where I draw the line. It's ^cowpatties^ and everyone not entranced knows it.

Thats fine. If you can't see his velocity and judge his arm from that video than IDK what to tell you. I have watched a lot of film on many prospects and obviously seen enough of Peyton to see it. Even just overlaying the videos of 2 years ago over the Duke video shows he is back...and if that isn't enough then the players and coaches around him have said he is throwing as good as ever. Brandon Stokley just came out and said that he doesn't see any difference from Peytons velocity and throwing from the guy he caught passes from 2003-2006. He was one of the receivers that worked out at Duke and then again this weekend in Denver. (Peyton threw about 50 passes it was reported to Stokley) He said he would put his reputation on it. All I know is that the same people that question everything Peyton are the ones that call those that question anything negative about someone that hasn't taken a pro snap Luck "Haters". Look I think and hope Luck will be a great qb...and hope even better than Peyton but I won't question what I am seeing with my own eyes and what Peyton has inside him. That guy works harder than just about any pro I have ever seen...preparing, working out, taking reps..he will be back and a that doesn't mean we won't be happy with Luck but a lot of people are going to have to admit at least that Peyton had a lot of quality qb left in him.

Thats fine. If you can't see his velocity and judge his arm from that video than IDK what to tell you. I have watched a lot of film on many prospects and obviously seen enough of Peyton to see it. Even just overlaying the videos of 2 years ago over the Duke video shows he is back...and if that isn't enough then the players and coaches around him have said he is throwing as good as ever. Brandon Stokley just came out and said that he doesn't see any difference from Peytons velocity and throwing from the guy he caught passes from 2003-2006. He was one of the receivers that worked out at Duke and then again this weekend in Denver. (Peyton threw about 50 passes it was reported to Stokley) He said he would put his reputation on it. All I know is that the same people that question everything Peyton are the ones that call those that question anything negative about someone that hasn't taken a pro snap Luck "Haters". Look I think and hope Luck will be a great qb...and hope even better than Peyton but I won't question what I am seeing with my own eyes and what Peyton has inside him. That guy works harder than just about any pro I have ever seen...preparing, working out, taking reps..he will be back and a that doesn't mean we won't be happy with Luck but a lot of people are going to have to admit at least that Peyton had a lot of quality qb left in him.

Interesting. When I watch game film on a prospect, I see much more than 4 throws. And I watch more than one game film on prospects I am interested in.

Yet you are convinced after watching 4 throws from PM after his surgeries, and you think this enough to convince you that he is back to NFL form?

Profootballtalk is just referencing the Yahoo article, and Yahoo Sports is like the National Enquire of sports.

There are too many conflicting reports in regards to Manning's arm.

When asked about his arm, Manning simply said, "there's still work to be done". He says the same words after torching defenses, passing 6TD's in a game, and getting perfect passer ratings. The guy is a perfectionist.

I've also heard that he's been out throwing/overthrowing his receivers during workouts.

The lesson to be learned here is no one really knows. So lets just stop speculating, and just wait and see.

Right now we should be focused on Draft Day. Let the Manning talk rest for now.

What are you even talking about? You ask me not to talk about Mannings arm in a thread titled about his health? Good one. Also his arm isn't 100% that's what we do know.

Interesting. When I watch game film on a prospect, I see much more than 4 throws. And I watch more than one game film on prospects I am interested in.

Yet you are convinced after watching 4 throws from PM after his surgeries, and you think this enough to convince you that he is back to NFL form?

Well couple that with everyone around him including players and coaches saying he is throwing "great" over several days of throwing all I was saying is his velocity is definately there. He has video that he is showing people and if it is good enough for Peyton and those people that have seen him in the past say he throws the same or as good as 6 years ago I mean you have to say he is pretty healthy. I guess there are those that refuse to listen to anyone or open their eyes so that is fine. I have been very skeptical for awhile but when all this stuff has come out with numerous numerous sources and video...well I have no reason to hold to that belief anymore.

Well couple that with everyone around him including players and coaches saying he is throwing "great" over several days of throwing all I was saying is his velocity is definately there. He has video that he is showing people and if it is good enough for Peyton and those people that have seen him in the past say he throws the same or as good as 6 years ago I mean you have to say he is pretty healthy. I guess there are those that refuse to listen to anyone or open their eyes so that is fine. I have been very skeptical for awhile but when all this stuff has come out with numerous numerous sources and video...well I have no reason to hold to that belief anymore.

I think I will forgive Mr. Irsay for not making a $28MM decision and accepting potentially crippling cap space risk based on testimonials from a few of Peyton's friends, who may of may not be biased.

What are you even talking about? You ask me not to talk about Mannings arm in a thread titled about his health? Good one. Also his arm isn't 100% that's what we do know.

I find it kind of funny that some seem to try and deflect blame from Irsay by implying that Peyton is in some way being deceptive about his health and trying to fool people. Peyton is not that kind of guy. If he felt there was not a way he could be effective or play at the level needed to play then he would retire and walk away. He would not string these teams along. Irsay seen the writing on the wall and knew if he was going to start rebuilding for the future then now was the time. The injury gave him an out to save 28 million $$ and he took it. Purely a business move and I do not blame him. The Colts had a lot of problems that Peyton alone would not be able to fix.

I think I will forgive Mr. Irsay for not making a $28MM decision and accepting potentially crippling cap space risk based on testimonials from a few of Peyton's friends, who may of may not be biased.

Thats totally fine..and I understand your opinion. I felt that way too months back but seeing and hearing all the reports that came out I was not happy that he did. Just my opinion. I am very open minded. I didn't know if he would ever play again for a long time. I just think a lot of people aren't open minded that Peyton is healthy and very well could come out of all this healthier than he was in 2010 now that he doesn't have neck pain and arm weakness. See he was "injured" for the last several years but played through it. He could actually be "healthy" for the first time in years next year and I would have loved to see us work to keep him. I totally UNDERSTAND the decision Irsay made. It was very rational....I just disagree with it. I am excited to see us get better...I would have been more excited to see Peyton back with Reggie and a new defense and Luck learning in the wings. Just my opinion.

healthy or not, all I want to know is what is being said at that restaurant they are at (Nashville) late night eating Lobster and Steak, surely the person sitting next to them is twittering Schefter and giving him the scoop on the Titans verbal offer to Peyton and Peyton's response !!!!!!

Thats totally fine..and I understand your opinion. I felt that way too months back but seeing and hearing all the reports that came out I was not happy that he did. Just my opinion. I am very open minded. I didn't know if he would ever play again for a long time. I just think a lot of people aren't open minded that Peyton is healthy and very well could come out of all this healthier than he was in 2010 now that he doesn't have neck pain and arm weakness. See he was "injured" for the last several years but played through it. He could actually be "healthy" for the first time in years next year and I would have loved to see us work to keep him. I totally UNDERSTAND the decision Irsay made. It was very rational....I just disagree with it. I am excited to see us get better...I would have been more excited to see Peyton back with Reggie and a new defense and Luck learning in the wings. Just my opinion.

I am open minded as well. What will be most revealing will be what the team that signs PM will require as far as PM working out for them for their due diligence. What will the team require of PM physically to prove himself before becoming obligated to pay him millions of dollars.

The last information we all got from PM directly was at the joint press conference a week ago, when someone asked about PM's arm status, and he answered that he is still working on it. From that, I think PM is saying that he is not back to 100%, and that was after the video was taken.

I am excited to see what will be required of PM to show that his arm is back to the team that wants to sign him.

I am open minded as well. What will be most revealing will be what the team that signs PM will require as far as PM working out for them for their due diligence. What will the team require of PM physically to prove himself before becoming obligated to pay him millions of dollars.

The last information we all got from PM directly was at the joint press conference a week ago, when someone asked about PM's arm status, and he answered that he is still working on it. From that, I think PM is saying that he is not back to 100%, and that was after the video was taken.

I am excited to see what will be required of PM to show that his arm is back to the team that wants to sign him.

Most definately he will pass a physical and have a private workout. We do know he threw for Denver this past weekend...50 passes to Brandon Stokely at a Denver park. That was already reported. To be honest I don't think he will even have to throw for Tennessee based off their zeal to get him. No doubt Elway watched him throw while in Denver. To me it is between those two. I really want him to go to Denver. I don't want to face him twice a year and I also want him to come back to OUR front office after he is done and not Tennessee to be like a talent advisor or team president...but that may happen anyways...I just don't want him to burn bridges with Irsay seeing as he can might take offense.