Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacob Lacey getting schooled again but this time by anthony gonzalez

coltsuser21

Anthony Gonzalez made a beautiful catch over cornerback Jacob Lacey on a 30-yard gain down the right sideline. Quarterback Curtis Painter put the ball in the perfect spot for Gonzalez who made the catch even though Lacey was flagged for interference on the play by the officials who attended the practice.

this guy sucks we need at least a FA corner then we are set for year to start

article from colts.com on notes for day 5

I've seen 2 or 3 of these "so and so beats lacey in practice" threads. *sigh* this is not a good sign for our secondary. Especially when our backup QB is able to do all of this. C'mon Lacey we are going to need you man!

Lordy people... it is the first few days of pads and it is time to kick some to the curb.

What I found enjoyable out of the post was that GONZO is making plays... !!!!

This O is going to be nasty...

Now, I don't think Lacey is a starting quality DB so I'm not defending him much. But it was the play of the day, on what was described as a perfect pass by Painter and there is no defense for a perfect pass. And I can't find the thread but the play going around about Painter drawing Lacey in with the PAP and hitting Garcon for a long completion, from the video posted by the OP, that looked to be a bit more on Bethea than Lacey. When you watch the video, Lacey was going to his zone, he bumped Garcon as he ran by. He never gave any indication that he was supposed to run with Garcon, if he was he would have been turning his hips before the play action took place. Now no one knows if he was supposed to run with Garcon and that is why Bethea was not over there but from watching the Colts D it seems more that Bethea was held in place by the PAP and then was late recovering.

I don't know if it will be the first preseason game but I bet by the 2nd Tryon will be the starter opposite Powers and Thomas will be the primary nickle back.

lol guys stop bashing jacob lacey read the thing on all of these lacey getting "schooled" posts they all say painter threw perfect passes and they say beautiful and all different sayings to describe the pass and catch. If any of you have played football u would realize that there is no defense for a perfect pass thats one of the reasons peyton is so good lol. Jacob lacey has been good for the colts since he has been here including him and powers completely shutting down larry fitz and boldin there rookie year. he has made mistakes but everyone makes mistakes sometimes they just have people cover it up such as the oline struggling and peyton covering it up with his quick release. Hop off his nuts and wait to see how he does in the season

I've seen 2 or 3 of these "so and so beats lacey in practice" threads. *sigh* this is not a good sign for our secondary. Especially when our backup QB is able to do all of this. C'mon Lacey we are going to need you man!

You are stupid and so are the other who have posted about Lacey and have probably never played a down of football in your life and never will.

Lacey will get beat but this is practice and he will show up in the game...your memory is so short, because he was there for the Colts secondary all last season and his rookie season and that is the meanin of a perfect pass...

Now, I don't think Lacey is a starting quality DB so I'm not defending him much. But it was the play of the day, on what was described as a perfect pass by Painter and there is no defense for a perfect pass. And I can't find the thread but the play going around about Painter drawing Lacey in with the PAP and hitting Garcon for a long completion, from the video posted by the OP, that looked to be a bit more on Bethea than Lacey. When you watch the video, Lacey was going to his zone, he bumped Garcon as he ran by. He never gave any indication that he was supposed to run with Garcon, if he was he would have been turning his hips before the play action took place. Now no one knows if he was supposed to run with Garcon and that is why Bethea was not over there but from watching the Colts D it seems more that Bethea was held in place by the PAP and then was late recovering.

I don't know if it will be the first preseason game but I bet by the 2nd Tryon will be the starter opposite Powers and Thomas will be the primary nickle back.

This doesn't surprise me much, people never understand coverages and defenseive schemes and packages, I think Lacey will emerge as a starter and obviously the Colts have him running that way right now.

Anthony Gonzalez made a beautiful catch over cornerback Jacob Lacey on a 30-yard gain down the right sideline. Quarterback Curtis Painter put the ball in the perfect spot for Gonzalez who made the catch even though Lacey was flagged for interference on the play by the officials who attended the practice.

You suck!! Gonzo gets one pass and I mean one and you're off and running with "this guy sucks" quote and I guess you must not be able to read because Lacey's had some good plays at practice against Gonzales by breaking up passes...

"The crowd watching Thursday’s practice was treated to some 11-on-11 (no tackling) late in the afternoon. The defense started off the segment with two noteworthy plays on pass defense. Quarterback Curtis Painter seemed to connect with Anthony Gonzalez on about a 30-yard gain down the middle but cornerback Jacob Lacey stretched his arms out and knocked away the intended pass. Three plays later with Mike Hartline at quarterback, Brackett intercepted a deflected pass over the middle for the lone takeaway on the afternoon."

Like I said you suck and learn to read....looks like the score is one to one! I haven't read anything about Tryon or Powers but go ahead and believe what you want, the film and running with the one's, is no lie.

. "

I was there today and I DO NOT TRUST LACEY. Not saying he is horrible or anything guys, but I don't trust him to provide the defense we need to win a championship! (just saying).

Our DB's will only be as good as Indy's pass rush. Period. And I suspect it will be pretty dayum good.

Our DB's will only be as good as Indy's pass rush. Period. And I suspect it will be pretty dayum good.

Well I wasn't there today and who cares who you trust...I'm not saying that Lacey's doesn't have some growing to do but he is the best cover the Colts have and it would serve them well to bring him along and get him ready for the season because Powers cannot and never will be a cover corner.

I'm glad to see that someone understand that we have to have a pash rush of some sort to give our DB's a chance, because it won't matter if Primetime or Revis is back there, no pass rush equals terrible play by your secondary and remember, Lacey is not the only one in that secondary.

a corner cant cover forever. remember theres no sacks so the qb has all day to throw. the media is making it sound worse then it really is

First, thanks for this post because you are absolutely correct; having all day to throw the ball is quite different than on Sundays when the oppossing defensive line is coming after you and you're right, the media always makes things worse than what they are....the day before Lacey broke up that 30 yard pass.

Lordy people... it is the first few days of pads and it is time to kick some to the curb.

If your thinking were correct, our WR's wouldn't be able to be blowing him away because it's the first few days of practice for them, too.

It sounds like Lacey is getting beat by everyone... Not good. Especially by a guy who hasn't played a meaningful role in a game since we had a republican president.

Hopefully the coaches make a change of some kind soon because it seems to be clear that Lacey isn't a starting caliber CB.

You suck!!...Like I said you suck and learn to read....looks like the score is one to one! I haven't read anything about Tryon or Powers but go ahead and believe what you want, the film and running with the one's, is no lie.

. "

You need to relax, no need to get personal and say things like that.

Going back to the topic, I think it's better that he gets burned now. Let him make his mistakes during practice and training camp so he can learn from them and then when the games count, he knows what to do.

I'll tell ya who worries me. Kevin Thomas, I was right next to that guy yesterday at practice and that kid is tiny. His arms are like tooth picks and I just can't see this kid doing anything with NFL recievers. They got this guy listed at 192 lbs, but he can't weigh over 165 lbs at the most.

What worries me as i noted to u in earlier post on fridays prcatice, same thing happened WED , again Gonzo still caught it , again that was evewn though Lacy had to foul him to try to stop it , though they said wed lacy coverage was good and gonzo would of been looked off and not thrown to, WELL IF U HAVE GOOD COVERAGE< FOUL THE GUY & HE STILL CATCHES IT THATS SCARY

I'll tell ya who worries me. Kevin Thomas, I was right next to that guy yesterday at practice and that kid is tiny. His arms are like tooth picks and I just can't see this kid doing anything with NFL recievers. They got this guy listed at 192 lbs, but he can't weigh over 165 lbs at the most.

I hope thats because he hasnt worked out for a year & can put it back on

i think i am going to have to quit reading these forums. do all teams have as many negative * fans as we do? experience is important and that is what our YOUNG db's are getting. Give him a chance. Some of the greatest players didnt look so good there 1st year or 2 in the league. Prime example would be our beloved #18. 3-13 his rookie year and he set the record for most int in a rookie season...and look at him now. He learned from his mistakes and worked his butt off to get better. Just back off and give the man a chance. If you want to be a colts FAN then great but if you just want to be a HATER then the colts and their fans dont need you.

Being a former DB in college I watch all of DB's we great interest. Lacy is IMO a good CB with some upside. Getting beat once in practice doesn't make him a bad corner. One Practices are just starting hes job now is to get in game shape, not being there was he suppose to have help over or under? If he was beat which every DB will get beat time & again does he have the mental toughness to learn from his mistake, or error & grow from it or does it destroy his confidence. I like Lacy, I think his play last year slipped some from his first year, but he was still pretty solid. For a small guy he does like to hit :number1: I like that. Will he be the starter? My bet is Tyron will be, but either way all the CB'S will play alot. People scream for Hayden, Hayden's play the last 2 years not so good. People let it play out. All will be fine!!!!!!!!

Being a former DB in college I watch all of DB's we great interest. Lacy is IMO a good CB with some upside. Getting beat once in practice doesn't make him a bad corner. One Practices are just starting hes job now is to get in game shape, not being there was he suppose to have help over or under? If he was beat which every DB will get beat time & again does he have the mental toughness to learn from his mistake, or error & grow from it or does it destroy his confidence. I like Lacy, I think his play last year slipped some from his first year, but he was still pretty solid. For a small guy he does like to hit :number1: I like that. Will he be the starter? My bet is Tyron will be, but either way all the CB'S will play alot. People scream for Hayden, Hayden's play the last 2 years not so good. People let it play out. All will be fine!!!!!!!!

well put, big +1 from me

could he make it in sd or the jets or pats we play those guys are their dbs better

u r so annoying. yes, i think he would play for SD or the pats. the jets have revis, cromartie, and wilson...top 2 group of DBs in the league so no, he would probably not be on the field for them.

someone please ban this guy, all he does is talk crap about our players.

haha superman is right.

why r u guys worrying about Lacey making mistakes in pracitice? i mean, didnt u see the Allen Iverson interview ;)

Quite possibly the best interview I have ever seen

I don't think that's a big deal. DeSean Jackson was thought to be too skinny to play in the NFL. Marvin Harrison was never the strongest guy on the field. CJ2K isn't too big either. I'm not too concerned with what he looks like or how big he is, I am more concerned with how he does on the field. I consider him to be a rookie this year since he got no playing time last year.

I wouldn't get too worried... It seems he's always too injured to ever see much of the field.

u r so annoying. yes, i think he would play for SD or the pats. the jets have revis, cromartie, and wilson...top 2 group of DBs in the league so no, he would probably not be on the field for them.

someone please ban this guy, all he does is talk crap about our players.

Just be thankful he didn't try to make some connection about how our DB's are so bad they should be scraping the paint off of houses or something... Apparently most of our LB's should be home mowing their grass because they can't play well enough.

You are stupid and so are the other who have posted about Lacey and have probably never played a down of football in your life and never will.

Lacey will get beat but this is practice and he will show up in the game...your memory is so short, because he was there for the Colts secondary all last season and his rookie season and that is the meanin of a perfect pass...

There is absolutely no need for personal insults. I have been stressing ever since we lost Hayden that we are lacking experience at the CB position. It doesn't help the encouragement factor that, as I stated earlier, it seems everyday someone is posting something about Lacey getting burned in practice. BTW I played sports my entire life growing up, so please do not pretend like you know me in any way, shape of form. Now :topic:

I have stated earlier that I was not satisfied with our depth at the CB position. I should have specified. I know we have 6 or so CBs fighting for jobs, but really only Powers and Lacey have extensive experience in game time situations. Tryon has stepped in, but he has proven to be more effective in the nickel/dime packages. The rest of the players on the roster I neglected to mention because they practically have no experience in the league. I have high expectations for Rucker, but I also feel that he needs to take an apprentice role for a year or so to get acclimated to the league. I really hope Lacey can step up and prove himself as a starter in the NFL, but I still have my doubts. I dread the day Powers or Lacey gets injured and we have to rely on rookie corners to make it to the Super Bowl. I feel very strongly that we need to shore up our secondary as that appears to be the weakest part of our team.

Translation: "Your opinion isn't the same as mine and I've got a bad case of butthurt because of it!"

Kids... :rolleyes2:

Well I wasn't there today and who cares who you trust...I'm not saying that Lacey's doesn't have some growing to do but he is the best cover the Colts have and it would serve them well to bring him along and get him ready for the season because Powers cannot and never will be a cover corner.

It was an opinion *. How is yours any more valid than mine? especially having not witnessed in person what I did? Your a joke.

Right, and from what I've read elsewhere it may have been on the inexperienced safeties that Lacy played with. I agree, Tryon will probably start but Lacy will most likely be our nickel.

As far as Thomas size (from another post), have you seen how small Tryon is? Speed, flexibility, loose hips, etc., all much more important than size for a CB.

Look, Lacey is not very good, anyone who watches the Colts regularly know that. The Colts don't need great corners for a few reasons. 1) everyone runs 70% of the time on us anyways. 2) the pass rush is what makes or breaks our DB's. 3) We play a zone and very rarely will our DB's play in man coverage, our Defensive philosophy is to let them catch it and tackle them right away, concede the short pass, don't get beat deep. While having great CB's would be nice, they cost a lot of money and they are not vital to our style of defense. We pay our big

money to pass rushing, because that is what is vital to our defense, not coverage. I know I'm gonna get harasses for this, but it is true.:colts:

Quite possibly the best interview I have ever seen

I don't think that's a big deal. DeSean Jackson was thought to be too skinny to play in the NFL. Marvin Harrison was never the strongest guy on the field. CJ2K isn't too big either. I'm not too concerned with what he looks like or how big he is, I am more concerned with how he does on the field. I consider him to be a rookie this year since he got no playing time last year.

The difference is that Jacksons job is to avoid being tackled, but Thomas' job is to tackle the reciever after the catch. Im just concerned with how big so many WR's are now that this kid don't stand a chance. I mean this dude is freakin skinny as a rail.