Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tre Boston explains his Colts visit

TKnight24

I wonder if Vaccaro got the same treatment?

Didn't they both visit at the same time/day?

If Boston did not meet w any of the big-wigs, did Vaccaro?

Maybe Boston was just brought in as an alternative to Vaccaro to try to get one of them to sign at a discount.

Sounds like Boston wants to get paid based on him claiming the Cardinals offer was "disrespectful".

All along, it seemed like the Colts were just meeting w folks to keep options open in case Hooker or Geathers do not recover well (which is still possible, especially w Geathers not being ready).

I always saw their visits the same as Austin Howard. Kick the tires. Get to know them. See if they are a fit. If or when the time and money is right, bring them in if we need them and they need us.

Seems odd to get a call to meet with a potential team but during the visit you don't meet with the GM who does the signing. Then to top it off, he was in the lunch room and played basketball. Whaaaaatt? If true, that's a big head scratcher on the Colts front office part.

They probably had him talk to Alan Williams to get a feel for what he was looking for. Alan probably said something like "Now you know we are mostly looking for a guy to back up Malik and Clayton, but of course this is the NFL so you always have to be ready to be a starter".  Tre probably said " To hell with that I'm trying to be on the front line with the starters.  I had 5 picks last year."   Alan probably took that info back to Ballard and Ballard said "Just let him sit in the damn lunch room and play some basketball for the rest of the day Alan."  Ha Ha Ha. I Kid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So......we have a player who sounds frustrated, posting out to the world about how they are wronged, and we jump to conclusions? 

Honestly, I cannot find one single thing that I like about twitter. One's life does not need to be monitored instantaneously by the rest of the world. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

So......we have a player who sounds frustrated, posting out to the world about how they are wronged, and we jump to conclusions? 

Honestly, I cannot find one single thing that I like about twitter. One's life does not need to be monitored instantaneously by the rest of the world. 

I agree. I don't do Twitter, and I rarely use Facebook.

• Like 1

Two sides to every story, especially in negotiations. We heard Boston's side. I'm sure someone will bring it up to Reich, Ballard or someone else in some interview in the future. Maybe they'll share their side.

Either way, it sounds like Boston clearly isn't getting the money he wants or expects. But an honest question, do players/agents always wait till DURING the meetings to discuss money and term? You would think that in today's world of communication, the basis of a deal that each side would want would already be somewhat known by both parties before hand, no?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I use twitter to follow a couple of organizations and a few people.  However, I do not read the comments following the tweet, those are for the most part a waste of time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

that is no way to treat somebody if you bring them in for a visit. I have no idea what's going on unless Boston is exaggerating and I don't know why he would

I don’t find this as a poor process rather a normal system. You need an employee for a job and if you have a hierarchy of positions such as any professional organization, you have levels. The team defines what they want in a guy, someone gathers personnel that matches up with those skills and then set up an interview/s. 

The next step step would be to have levels of interviews starting with position coaches perhaps and then see if that coach feels the player is a fit to what the team is looking for since he will be with that guy a large % of time. Based on that interview, the coach sums up a positive or negative impact he feels the player brings. The next interview might be the DC and then they repeat this at a bigger picture view. If that goes well, perhaps it gets elevated to the HC or GM to make certain all bases were covered, expectations were explained and agreed upon mutually, making sure any questions are left unanswered on both sides and then get a start into the players contract negotiations with his agent. If any one of those levels break down or bring up flags, you have the opportunity to stop the process and not waste time of the leaders above. 

Not it everyone gets a trophy for showing up and maybe this guy felt he was better than the team concept and never got elevated up. That’s my take on a hiring process anyways. More interviews mean better odds of a signing and a consensus on a candidate as a fit. This is especially true on these lower level signings or guys with some concerns and baggage. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTC said:

There is always more to the story. 

Exactly, I'm guessing there is much that Mr. Boston did not say here.

Obviously someone from the Colts met with him or he wouldnt have known when to leave.

He says his offer from Pheonix was 'disrespectful' but he doesnt say what it was.

He talks about not wanting to accept 'minimum wage'

I'm guessing he didnt get the offer he expected and he isnt happy.

Its a cruel world.....having to work for disrespectfui minimum wages.:2c:

I'd rather be proud and unemployed

Edited by oldunclemark

17 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he probably met with one of the DB coaches like Alan Williams or somebody most likely.  I'm sure they didn't just bring him in and completely not talk to him.

And nobody gets by without a visit from Brian Decker anymore.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Exactly, I'm guessing there is much that Mr. Boston did not say here.

Obviously someone from the Colts met with him or he wouldnt have known when to leave.

He says his offer from Pheonix was 'disrespectful' but he doesnt say what it was.

He talks about not wanting to accept 'minimum wage'

I'm guessing he didnt get the offer he expected and he isnt happy.

Its a cruel world.....having to work for disrespectfui minimum wages.:2c:

I'd rather be proud and unemployed

SN Article from late March-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the biggest names still available, like Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid and Mike Mitchell, remain unsigned because of dissatisfaction with the money being tendered. Another one is Tre Boston, who understandably finds himself dumbfounded at what has unfolded.

Boston thought he would be able to cash in after the best season of his NFL career; he posted career highs in tackles (79), pass break-ups (eight) and interceptions (five) last season with the Chargers. And with Boston not turning 26 until July, the best should still be yet to come.

"Just like a few of the other guys, we’re just not hearing anything near what we want to hear or even close," Boston told co-host Ed McCaffrey and me Thursday on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "We're closer to veteran minimum than we are to the $7-, $8-, $9-million players we wanted to be two months ago or even eight months ago."

"There are about five or six valuable starting safeties in free agency right now. But I guess it’s just trying to get us to take peanuts like the rest of them have. That’s just the business of the game."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-safety-free-agents-best-available-tre-boston-eric-reid-kenny-vaccaro/7mvhjumemrdp1vhe0nptkfg62
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The safety market this year is dried up.  Some other positions peeps are getting paid, old vet safety's aren't. For now.

"Two months into the 2018 NFL league year, Eric Reid, Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro remain unemployed, while their peers, Morgan Burnett, Tyrann Mathieu, Kurt Coleman and Marcus Gilchrist, were signed within the first week of free agency. Only Burnett and Matheiu were considered better players than Reid, Boston and Vaccaro by most outlets that published free agent rankings."

"The 2018 NFL draft was also considered a good safety draft, a fact some used to explain why Reid struggled to garner any interest early in free agency. But only three safeties were drafted in the first two rounds of the 2018 draft. It wasn’t nearly as deep as the last year’s draft, which had no effect on the free agent safety market.

For whatever reason, this year is different. Really different. At least for Reid, Vaccaro and Boston. The other big free agents at the position found work quickly. Coincidently (or maybe not), the other big free agents haven’t been involved in anthem protests.  ( http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/264431/nfl-players-who-protested-during-national-anthem-in-week-17 ) And if they have, there is no public record of it happening. ESPN.com kept a running log of players who protested during the 2017 season... "

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/nfl-free-agents-eric-reid-tre-boston-kenny-vaccaro-national-anthem-protest-colin-kaepernick-collusion-case

I don't believe this hogwash for a second.....he sounds like a bitter young man angry about not getting offered the money he thinks he's worth.

The class and dignity this organization has shown from top to bottom with the McDaniels incident alone tells me this is utter nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1. I’m not saying yah nor nay on the situation but we don’t know nor were we there.  He said he didn’t meet with the GM, HC or DC but did he meet up with the position coach?  Also was there a planned meeting with the GM, HC or DC?  Or maybe he was expecting a meeting with them but nothing materialized.  Like I said we don’t know and at this point we are just speculating and forming our own opinions.  Yup and that’s what I’m doing right now.

It also is implied that Boston wanted both the red carpet treatment AND a big contract offer in order to feel valued.

He never said anything about the money offered to him by the Colts (if any offer was made at all).

But he did criticize our visit and commended Arizona rolling out the red carpet for him. But then he said he was disrespected by the Cardinals likely offering him something close to the veteran minimum

The problem here is that if he and Reid and Vaccaro really thought they would be $7-$9M a year players as he said to Ed McCafferey, then they were completely duped by their agents or anyone that let them think that.

That would make them top-12 safeties by annual average. Honey Badger got $7M.

Otherwise all the guys that signed singed for less. Burnett signed for under $5M a year and he is a more well known guy than Boston generally speaking.

Based on what most of these guys signed for, there is no way Boston and Vaccaro and Reid and others were going to get even $4M a year. The guys that signed early in free agency, which is when the most dollars are spent to sign guys quickly, went for $4-$5.5M

The best these guys can hope for are contracts in the range of Mike Adams or HaHa Clinton-Dix or even Reggie Nelson.

That is $2-$2.5M a year. If Boston thought he was gonna cash in at $7-$9M then he is probably * that he is getting offered around 1/3 of what he thought he'd make. That is because he got some bad intel if he really thought he would make that.

I think Boston is a good player, but I doubt the Colts would go out and pay him more than they are paying
Hooker. And since Hooker is making around $3.1M annually, he couldn't have expected to get crazy bank from us.

I just think if these guys want to play they are going to have to play for whatever their market is. You don't want to make $1-$3M because that is a slap in the face, then you sit the year and make nothing. Harsh reality but that is what these guys are faced with.

20 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

It also is implied that Boston wanted both the red carpet treatment AND a big contract offer in order to feel valued.

He never said anything about the money offered to him by the Colts (if any offer was made at all).

But he did criticize our visit and commended Arizona rolling out the red carpet for him. But then he said he was disrespected by the Cardinals likely offering him something close to the veteran minimum

The problem here is that if he and Reid and Vaccaro really thought they would be $7-$9M a year players as he said to Ed McCafferey, then they were completely duped by their agents or anyone that let them think that.

That would make them top-12 safeties by annual average. Honey Badger got $7M.

Otherwise all the guys that signed singed for less. Burnett signed for under $5M a year and he is a more well known guy than Boston generally speaking.

Based on what most of these guys signed for, there is no way Boston and Vaccaro and Reid and others were going to get even $4M a year. The guys that signed early in free agency, which is when the most dollars are spent to sign guys quickly, went for $4-$5.5M

The best these guys can hope for are contracts in the range of Mike Adams or HaHa Clinton-Dix or even Reggie Nelson.

That is $2-$2.5M a year. If Boston thought he was gonna cash in at $7-$9M then he is probably * that he is getting offered around 1/3 of what he thought he'd make. That is because he got some bad intel if he really thought he would make that.

I think Boston is a good player, but I doubt the Colts would go out and pay him more than they are paying
Hooker. And since Hooker is making around $3.1M annually, he couldn't have expected to get crazy bank from us.

I just think if these guys want to play they are going to have to play for whatever their market is. You don't want to make $1-$3M because that is a slap in the face, then you sit the year and make nothing. Harsh reality but that is what these guys are faced with.

I don't know if it was bad intel...or just bad timing. To be fair, last season comparable players like Barry Church, MIcah Hyde and John Cyprien all got $6-6.5M/year on 4-5 year deals. And Tony Jefferson got $8.5M/year. Given that recent history and the cap increase (which has and tends to increase contracts), I can understand why they though they would be in that $7-9M range.

I am curious as to what has changed this season vs. last season...maybe it was the draft class.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know if it was bad intel...or just bad timing. To be fair, last season comparable players like Barry Church, MIcah Hyde and John Cyprien all got $6-6.5M/year on 4-5 year deals. And Tony Jefferson got $8.5M/year. Given that recent history and the cap increase (which has and tends to increase contracts), I can understand why they though they would be in that $7-9M range.

I am curious as to what has changed this season vs. last season...maybe it was the draft class.

From my post above-

"The 2018 NFL draft was also considered a good safety draft, a fact some used to explain why Reid struggled to garner any interest early in free agency. But only three safeties were drafted in the first two rounds of the 2018 draft. It wasn’t nearly as deep as the last year’s draft, which had no effect on the free agent safety market {last year}."

Many (including Reid himself) feel (at least some of) it has to do with prior Anthem protests.

"In early April, Reid met with the Bengals, who are in need of a safety, but left Cincinnati without a contract offer. The team reportedly asked him about how he'll approach the anthem in 2018. It's worth pointing out that this is the same team that drafted Joe Mixon, who punched a woman, breaking several bones in her face, and continues to roster Vontaze Burfict, who has been fined repeatedly for dirty play."

NFLPA Files Grievance on Behalf of Eric Reid.

https://t.co/55ZnuMoOTOpic.twitter.com/giDd9Thbop

— NFLPA (@NFLPA) May 7, 2018

https://tinyurl.com/y9l4l4bd

Needs vs. cost?

"Morgan Burnett, Tyrann Mathieu, Kurt Coleman and Marcus Gilchrist, were signed within the first week of free agency. Only Burnett and Matheiu were considered better players than Reid, Boston and Vaccaro by most outlets that published free agent rankings." 

The buyers in that market dried up quite fast after that.