Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kind words from Gil Brandt about Malik Hooker

DalTXColtsFan

13 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

I think we're not allowed to post links but I'm not sure - Google "Gil Brandt one probowler for each team".  He has some VERY good things to say about Malik Hooker.

I hope he's right!

Sure you can (just not in chat rooms), and take out a relevant snippet, if you link the complete article URL-

"INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: Malik Hooker, FS, second NFL season. Hooker missed the last nine games of the season with a torn ACL. But in his first four games as a pro, he picked off three passes. Presuming Hooker's healthy come Week 1, we'll see the Ohio State product flash his Ed Reed-like potential. He has speed and ball skills and is exceptional in man coverage (one of the best I've ever scouted, in fact)."   Gil Brandt

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000937390/article/projecting-one-future-firsttime-pro-bowler-for-each-afc-team

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see a long term partnership with Geathers and Hooker.  

Both, in my opinion, very strong at their position and skill sets that really compliment each other.  I would say we are a bit shallow in terms of depth, which is why I was a bit surprised we haven't brought in one of the free agents we had visiting, but still time I guess.

I am encouraged by Hooker but I found it hard to truly evaluate him last year as I never had faith in the system/coaching and so this is an encouraging read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I would love to see a long term partnership with Geathers and Hooker.  

Both, in my opinion, very strong at their position and skill sets that really compliment each other.  I would say we are a bit shallow in terms of depth, which is why I was a bit surprised we haven't brought in one of the free agents we had visiting, but still time I guess.

I am encouraged by Hooker but I found it hard to truly evaluate him last year as I never had faith in the system/coaching and so this is an encouraging read.

on paper they are a 'Dynamic Duo'. But because of health concerns, especially Geathers, I'm concerned about how often they will be on the field together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

on paper they are a 'Dynamic Duo'. But because of health concerns, especially Geathers, I'm concerned about how often they will be on the field together.

Hooker - Farley is the best safety tandem on the roster right now. And I think the writing’s on the wall for Geathers, he is very much at risk of being cut. TJ Green got ALL the first team reps at OTAs & minicamp, while Geathers watched... that’s no bueno for him.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Hooker - Farley is the best safety tandem on the roster right now. And I think the writing’s on the wall for Geathers, he is very much at risk of being cut. TJ Green got ALL the first team reps at OTAs & minicamp, while Geathers watched... that’s no bueno for him.

Geathers was injured during OTA's wasn't he?  They didn't disclose what the injury was (since they don't have to) but I am sure he missed due to injury.

No way TJ Green stays on the roster and Geathers is cut IMO.

30 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Geathers was injured during OTA's wasn't he?  They didn't disclose what the injury was (since they don't have to) but I am sure he missed due to injury.

No way TJ Green stays on the roster and Geathers is cut IMO.

Yep, injured again, which is kind of my point. This is year 4, & he has yet to play a full 16 game season. His season totals for games played at this point are 15, 9, & 5, respectively. If he were a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round pick, this whole forum would be screaming "injury prone" and "bust."

And let's be honest with ourselves here... other than his obvious appeal to fans, what exactly does Clayton Geathers do better than TJ Green?

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yep, injured again, which is kind of my point. This is year 4, & he has yet to play a full 16 game season. His season totals for games played at this point are 15, 9, & 5, respectively. If he were a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd round pick, this whole forum would be screaming "injury prone" and "bust."

And let's be honest with ourselves here... other than his obvious appeal to fans, what exactly does Clayton Geathers do better than TJ Green?

Well, firstly, we don't know what the injury was, it may be minor and just keeping him off the field until OTA's as a precaution.  He was healthy enough after his neck surgery to play at the end of last year and so I don't think it will be that (hopefully).  As a 3rd year player, those OTA reps are less meaningful and so I will reserve judgement until training camp to see if he suits up.

Secondly, 15 games in his rookie year is pretty darn good!  Then 2016 and 2017 games missed are linked to the same neck injury (or at least most of those missed games are).  You can't call someone injury prone when they missed one game their rookie year and then miss others due to a serious neck injury which he has returned from, even people on here wouldn't go that far! :ninja:

Thirdly, in respect of what does Geathers too more than Green? Simple answer for starters....tackle!  Important to remember that his injury came from a game-winning thumper of a tackle against the Titans.  He put his all into stopping the opposition and it cost him a large chunk of his football life.  Green has shown very little football-wise to back up his strong athletic measurables, which have not converted to much else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

i dont know if that is writing on the wall, you cant get reps if you are injured

we are thin at safety i dont think he gets cut this year unless the neck is a problem.  farley is ok but hes just a guy.  i have  no comment on greens future, he went from terrible to serviceable last year, who knows if he will make another leap 

Will Carrol was just on the radio and he stated he expects Hooker to be on PUP and miss about half the year based on where he is right now. He said most likely no way he participates in Training camp. I kind of agree and I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if he's on PUP and gets fully healed and in shape before taking the field. This is not the year to need to rush guys. If it were me, I would have signed Tre Boston by now though as insurance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Well, firstly, we don't know what the injury was, it may be minor and just keeping him off the field until OTA's as a precaution.  He was healthy enough after his neck surgery to play at the end of last year and so I don't think it will be that (hopefully).  As a 3rd year player, those OTA reps are less meaningful and so I will reserve judgement until training camp to see if he suits up.

Secondly, 15 games in his rookie year is pretty darn good!  Then 2016 and 2017 games missed are linked to the same neck injury (or at least most of those missed games are).  You can't call someone injury prone when they missed one game their rookie year and then miss others due to a serious neck injury which he has returned from, even people on here wouldn't go that far! :ninja:

Thirdly, in respect of what does Geathers too more than Green? Simple answer for starters....tackle!  Important to remember that his injury came from a game-winning thumper of a tackle against the Titans.  He put his all into stopping the opposition and it cost him a large chunk of his football life.  Green has shown very little football-wise to back up his strong athletic measurables, which have not converted to much else.

TJ Green played 15 games in his rookie season as well, so if it's "pretty darn good" when Geathers does it, than the same has to apply for TJ Green. And saying that Geathers is a better tackler kind of seems like a reach at this point since PFF graded Green at 84.4 vs the run last year, which is very good, not to mention a massive improvement over his rookie season.

Personally, I'm not sold on either as a long-term solution at SS, as I think Farley is a better player than both, but if I had to choose one right now to back up/share snaps with Farley, it'd be Green.

T.J.-Green-768x432.png

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Will Carrol was just on the radio and he stated he expects Hooker to be on PUP and miss about half the year based on where he is right now. He said most likely no way he participates in Training camp. I kind of agree and I don't think it's the worst thing in the world if he's on PUP and gets fully healed and in shape before taking the field. This is not the year to need to rush guys. If it were me, I would have signed Tre Boston by now though as insurance.

As knowledgable as Carrol seems to be about sports injuries, I always take his Colts insight with a grain of salt after some of his Luck analysis from this past offseason. That said, Hooker starting on PUP doesn't really seem that far-fetched to me.

20 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

TJ Green played 15 games in his rookie season as well, so if it's "pretty darn good" when Geathers does it, than the same has to apply for TJ Green. And saying that Geathers is a better tackler kind of seems like a reach at this point since PFF graded Green at 84.4 vs the run last year, which is very good, not to mention a massive improvement over his rookie season.

Personally, I'm not sold on either as a long-term solution at SS, as I think Farley is a better player than both, but if I had to choose one right now to back up/share snaps with Farley, it'd be Green.

T.J.-Green-768x432.png

If only Grigson drafted Landon Collins instead of Dorset and we wouldn’t even be having this discussion lol. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

T.J.-Green-768x432.png

The availability is not an issue, it was you who raised it as a negative on geathers which I thought was unfair.

I am glad he is making improvements and genuinely hope he contributes for us. I just like the potential fit with hooker and geathers better but 2018 will bring the results I guess. 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont know if that is writing on the wall, you cant get reps if you are injured

we are thin at safety i dont think he gets cut this year unless the neck is a problem.  farley is ok but hes just a guy.  i have  no comment on greens future, he went from terrible to serviceable last year, who knows if he will make another leap 

You're probably right, Farley is likely "just a guy" on most NFL rosters, but let's not undersell how rare it is for a Colts defensive player to play all 32 games over 2 seasons, & force the occasional interception. We have yet to see Geathers or Green pick off a pass, and that's something this defense desperately needs more of.

45 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

The availability is not an issue, it was you who raised it as a negative on geathers which I thought was unfair.

I am glad he is making improvements and genuinely hope he contributes for us. I just like the potential fit with hooker and geathers better but 2018 will bring the results I guess. 

You might think it's a tad unfair, & I don't totally disagree with that, but at the same time, this is the last year of Geathers' rookie contract, & it doesn't bode well for him that he's already missed OTAs & minicamp with an injury.

At some point, an NFL GM has to let a guy go if he can't get on the field, & I think Geathers is getting dangerously close to being in that exact position.

• Like 1