Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Team needs for 2019

The main needs I could easily see this team having for the 2019 offseason will be LB, DT, and CB. With that said, I wonder if Ballard will spend more than he did this past free agency period and land us a pro bowl caliber starter at one of those positions. 

I for one would love Ballard to land one of the stud DT prospects in this loaded upcoming class. This team needs a dominant DT to both stop the run and pressure the QB from the inside. The DT position doesn't currently have a great player, with Al Woods being the best DT on the roster and he is up there in age. 

CB is needing a long term answer opposite Quincy Wilson, and I don't think Desir is it. He would be best served as our #4 corner. 

LB is really needing proven playmakers, since outside of Leonard and maybe Anthony Walker, I don't think this position has much talent. 

I think the OL should be fine, aside from maybe drafting a OT later in the draft, unless they plan to move Braden Smith to RT. 

WR could be okay, especially if Ballard brings in a free agent, and Cain and Fountain show promise. 

RB maybe could use another prospect, unless Mack really shows promise and consistency. 

Your thoughts?

On 6/15/2018 at 6:23 PM, Luck 4 president said:

I would say CB, T, DT, LB, SS in that order. Castanzo is getting up there in age and we need to find his replacement soon. Besides luck, I think a castanzo injury would hurt our team more than any other player because of the lack of depth at LT. 

Costanzo is still only 29 years old. I would easily resign him to another 3 year deal.

Would be nice to add Ballard spend some cap cash next off-season.

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

DT by far.

In a 4-3, 46, or Cover 2 defense, a Warren Sapp like player at DT is a necessity.

Too bad Warren Sapp like DTs don't grow on trees. The upcoming draft class is loaded with premium DT prospects but we'll likely have to have a top 10 pick to land one.

I forecast the top 3 needs as being DT, OT, CB in that order. DT because with our scheme shift and reshuffling of our roster, I think a dominant addition there improves our roster more than any else. OT because our situation at RT is not clear and Castonzo at LT will be entering a contract year next season (and he's not exactly a kid anymore). CB is next, and I know what we do there will be influenced by the development of our younger guys. 

On 6/15/2018 at 7:06 PM, CR91 said:

I think it depends on how the season plays out and who on the team steps up in positions we think theres a need

And who gets injured (and how bad) and who leaves in FA (if any) and who we trade for (if any) etc.  Just so many moving parts to get an accurate gauge this early.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:40 PM, BProland85 said:

The main needs I could easily see this team having for the 2019 offseason will be LB, DT, and CB. With that said, I wonder if Ballard will spend more than he did this past free agency period and land us a pro bowl caliber starter at one of those positions. 

I for one would love Ballard to land one of the stud DT prospects in this loaded upcoming class. This team needs a dominant DT to both stop the run and pressure the QB from the inside. The DT position doesn't currently have a great player, with Al Woods being the best DT on the roster and he is up there in age. 

CB is needing a long term answer opposite Quincy Wilson, and I don't think Desir is it. He would be best served as our #4 corner. 

LB is really needing proven playmakers, since outside of Leonard and maybe Anthony Walker, I don't think this position has much talent. 

I think the OL should be fine, aside from maybe drafting a OT later in the draft, unless they plan to move Braden Smith to RT. 

WR could be okay, especially if Ballard brings in a free agent, and Cain and Fountain show promise. 

RB maybe could use another prospect, unless Mack really shows promise and consistency. 

Your thoughts?

Since we're talking "team needs" and not BPA,  then I'd lay it out this way.....

Considering Ballard has said this new defense puts a premium on the front-7 and he further claims that we don't need a premium draft pick at corner,  then I don't see us needing or using a 1st round pick on a cornerback.

So.....   going by need,  i see the 2019 draft this way.....

R1        Colts Pick roughly 10-15      DL,  with a preference for DT over DE,   but definitely a D-lineman.     I'd also predict that Ballard will draft a DT/DE with a top-3 pick every year he's our GM.    He wants 8-10 quality DL....    that's how he'll get it.

R2.     (Jets Pick roughly 36-40)      LB

R2.     (Colts Pick roughly 42-48)     LB

R3.     Colts Pick roughly 75-60       CB

R4      Colts Pick roughly  110-115     WR

R4      Compensation pick roughly    135-140      RB

R5      Colts Pick  roughly 150-155     DB

R6      Colts Pick roughly   195-200    DL with a preference for DE over DT

R7      Colts pick roughly    230-235   Best Offensive Player Avail with preference for OL

On 6/15/2018 at 3:40 PM, BProland85 said:

Your thoughts?

Hopefully Aaron Donald does not work out a deal with the Rams and we can target him in the offseason. Also, we can and will for sure target DL in the 2019 draft imo. Solid talent and we need bodies to fit those spots. Woods is older and the other guys are just rotational talent for the most part.

CB is a need but why do you have hate towards Desir? He did pretty well last year and many say our new cover 2 zone scheme is a better fit for him. Plus Wilson has shown absolutely zero to be considered the heir apparent.

LB for sure needs another quality guy. I am hopefully Leonard gets and stays healthy and pans out. I am very hopeful that Walker turns into what he was in college and gives us that true MLB guy. SAM is an area we can use some true talent.

Safeties in my eyes can use someone. Farley has been a good step in but he can be upgraded. Geathers needs to play a full 16 and get better as well. Hooker had the injury so we will see what he looks like when he gets back. Hopefully he does not lose a step because that was a key talent of his. TJ Green...well enough said!

The offensive side I would say we are pretty well solid. You can always grab another RB or WR for depth. I see Cain being what we hoped Moncrief to be. I see Fountain being a good depth player. Rogers might not make the team since he is hurt every other practice...yea we are talking about practice! Ryan Grant I have not really seen much of but honestly I hope for something but would not be shocked to see him get bumped to the #3 or #4 spot quickly.  TE's we are good. OL can always use depth with late round guys to coach up.

Just remember, this is going to change a lot before the draft because this will be the first year I believe Ballard uses FA. We don't have a lot of players to resign, and with over 100M in cap space next year after carry over, and basically FA next off season will be starting year 3 of the rebuild, Ballard will be a little more aggressive. How aggressive, I don't know. I think the one area we should look at in FA is WR, LB, and CB.

The one area to avoid in my opinion in FA is DT and DE. The 2019 draft is absolutely loaded with defensive line talent. When one team's whole defensive line (clemson) is projected to go first round, you know it is very deep. I would love Wilkins or Oliver, but I don't think Colts will be drafting top 5 again, which is a good thing..

2 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Just remember, this is going to change a lot before the draft because this will be the first year I believe Ballard uses FA. We don't have a lot of players to resign, and with over 100M in cap space next year after carry over, and basically FA next off season will be starting year 3 of the rebuild, Ballard will be a little more aggressive. How aggressive, I don't know. I think the one area we should look at in FA is WR, LB, and CB.

The one area to avoid in my opinion in FA is DT and DE. The 2019 draft is absolutely loaded with defensive line talent. When one team's whole defensive line (clemson) is projected to go first round, you know it is very deep. I would love Wilkins or Oliver, but I don't think Colts will be drafting top 5 again, which is a good thing..

I think you're going to be disappointed.

First,  Ballard used FA extensively in 2017....   he signed 10 guys.    Just because he didn't sign one guy to a huge contract doesn't mean he didn't use it.     10 guys is a lot for any team in free agency.

Second,  I would not expect Ballard to use FA heavily in 2019.     When he made the trade with the Jets for their three 2nd round picks,  one of his comments on tape was that he was not against free agency,  and that he planned to use it again in the future.    But I'm interpretting that to mean 2020,  and not 2019.    By then,  Ballard will have had 3 full drafts and free agency periods,  and his draft hauls will total enough players that it will be equal to FOUR drafts.    Meaning,  3 drafts typically means roughly 21 players.   7 per year.    Ballard's 3 drafts are going to total nearly 30 players.    That's 4 drafts worth of players in a 3 year time span.

At THAT POINT,  the Colts will have a more representative roster that he can then go out into the FA marketplace and start being more liberal with how he spends money.    I don't think 2018 will be a one year divergence in FA.   If it was,  I think Ballard would've said so.    He didn't.   So I think 2019 will look much like 18 did. 

All of this is my educated guess.    I don't have Ballard on speed dial.   But I think the above is a pretty logical argument.    As in all matters,  your mileage may vary......

On 6/19/2018 at 5:20 AM, DaColts85 said:

Hopefully Aaron Donald does not work out a deal with the Rams and we can target him in the offseason. Also, we can and will for sure target DL in the 2019 draft imo. Solid talent and we need bodies to fit those spots. Woods is older and the other guys are just rotational talent for the most part.

Even if the Rams and Donald can't come to an agreement on a long-term contract,  it's hard to see the Rams just letting Donald walk-off into free agency.     They'd use the franchise tag on him.    Twice,  if need be.

He's the highest graded defensive player in football,   and I think,  by a good margin.

That said,   I have no doubt you're spot on right for the draft.    Hard to see us using our first round pick on anything but a top DL --- preferrably a DT.     And I wouldn't be surprised to see us drafting another DL before Day 2 is over....     

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if the Rams and Donald can't come to an agreement on a long-term contract,  it's hard to see the Rams just letting Donald walk-off into free agency.     They'd use the franchise tag on him.    Twice,  if need be.

The key to this statement is if he goes through a holdout again as he has threatened. Then he can go into the tag situation next year with them knowing he will hold off again if need be.

Top secondary prospects will dwindle down as the draft goes along but quality DL typically tend to be around. If it is DL, it could be a defensive end, IMO. However, if we are picking late in Round 1 in the low 20s, there is a good chance we go for a quality RT, IMO.

CB/DE/OL, DL/OL is what I am thinking for the first 2 rounds.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Top secondary prospects will dwindle down as the draft goes along but quality DL typically tend to be around. If it is DL, it could be a defensive end, IMO. However, if we are picking late in Round 1 in the low 20s, there is a good chance we go for a quality RT, IMO.

CB/DE/OL, DL/OL is what I am thinking for the first 2 rounds.

Remember,  Ballard has already said Corner is not a premium position in this defense.    But DL and LB are.

I think the chances of a corner being taken in the first or even second round are not high. 

And with this upcoming class of DL being near historically great,  that's where i'd expect us to go.

• Like 2

To early to know, but on paper if Luck stays healthy the entire year it looks like the offense will be a little ahead of the defense in the leaning curve. Depending on what kind of pass rush we can create to help out our defensive backs this season.  If not then DE's and linebackers should be addressed next season ether in the draft or FA.

A good pass rush can make a DB"s job a heck of allot easier. You cannot give the other team's QB all day to sit back and pick your defense apart. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Next FA I would go after RCB Ronald Darby and LCB Justin Coleman.

2019 Draft

Round 1 - DT Dexter Lawrence - kid is a freakish athlete

Round 2A - ROT David Edwards - One of the best RT's last year opted to stay in school. 

Round 2B - WR N'Keal Harry - Harry already being compared to A.J. Green with first round potential

Rounds 3 and 4A/4B hopefully add DL / LB depth