Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is throwing a football

Steamboat_Shaun

One of his comments that stoodout to me was going to be the style of play. He intimated that he was changing his style a bit to accommodate the team - loosely translated to me that means getting the ball out quicker to avoid hits. 

Reich has been preaching that, but for Luck to buy in means a lot especially when we know he has always been willing to hold the ball longer (and take a hit) to make a play.

I for one would love to see that philosophical change that *could* allow him to extend his career with us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Actually, he said he has had / does sometimes have soreness.  It is manageable. What he stressed, this year he has no pain!  That is what he had last year.  Very different, soreness and pain.

Ahh. Thanks for that. I definitely misheard him. He sounds like he mumbles at times.

I'm just thankful he at least seems in good spirits and is ok with more of a workload.

AND

I'm glad he looks physically like the old Andrew.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

It’s great seeing him out there actually tossing a football but I’m not letting my expectations get out of hand though. Some people are talking playoffs already.

I think if he's healthy all season we could be a WildCard, 9-7 wouldnt be impossible. It depends on how Good Houston is and some of the other potential non-Divsion winners will be? I do think as of now that Jacks will win our Division but outside of them, Patriots, and Steelers there is no sure things with any teams in the AFC. Even Jacks could be shaky now that they are the hunted. Great Defense but Blake Bortles is MEH.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

For this coming season, I don't care about won loss record.  I'm looking to see how quickly Luck gets rid of the ball as a matter of offensive scheme, and how the Oline blocks for that scheme.  And defense, I'd like to see the LBs and safeties stop a crossing route with a pass defense or at least a quick tackle.

Yep. Talent development and acclimation to the scheme are my goals for this season. Plus, I really dig the DTs in next year's class as well (and I am sure Ballard does as well). So having a top pick wouldn't be the worst thing.

If the Colts surprise and hit the ground running and make the playoffs...that would be awesome. But if they don't, that's fine as well. Some player development, another top pick in each round (that yields an elite prospect), a boatload of cap space AND a non-rusty Luck sounds good to me.

• Like 2

This is a very good day for Colts Nation.

But it's just one day.     A first day.     One of many that still have to happen.     And plenty can still go wrong between now and September.     Let's not get too far out ahead of ourselves.

I'm glad for all of us,  espeically Andrew.     Looking forward to him reaching many more steps in his process.

It might just make our summer vacation a little more interesting than most years!    :thmup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NDcolt said:

YAWN, wake me up when it’s a regulation size ball & no limitations.  Hold off on those Season Tix unless your a river boat gambler Son.  Fool me once, shame on You but fool me twice, nice try Irsay!  Hope this is it but...

I swear, some on here will find a reason to be negative about anything! haha

"We won the Superbowl?! That's all well and good but we only pick 32nd in the draft next year!"

Lets take some good news where we can and enjoy the ride people! 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Superman said:

Thrilled to be wrong on this. Let's see if he throws all 3 days or if he's still on an every other day routine. 

According to Luck he's on a program that would mimic his gameweek preparation - throwing Monday-Wednesday, rest Thursday, throw on Fridays and then on gameday. He said he will not throw on Thursday and that it is by his planned schedule so people don't panic when he doesn't throw on the last day of mini-camp. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

According to Luck he's on a program that would mimic his gameweek preparation - throwing Monday-Wednesday, rest Thursday, throw on Fridays and then on gameday. He said he will not throw on Thursday and that it is by his planned schedule so people don't panic when he doesn't throw on the last day of mini-camp. 

Exactly.  He is also most likely on a reps and distance limitation schedule currently that will gradually progress up in both over time.  Glad it is summer and we don't have a blow by blow daily account from the optimistic vs. the pessimistic.  My hope is all goes well and his prediction to have no restrictions when training camp starts is true.  It appears might well be on pace right now, but he has a ways to go yet.

As I've mentioned multiple times, I look forward to the time the 1st team reps get switched over to him, and then the true 'rubber meets the road' situation occurs when Luck is performing 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 practice drills vs. a live defense.  This will be his test of throwing from all manner of positions, not just rehab type throws.  Moving in the pocket, different arm angles/launch points, off the back foot, rolling out, and on the run etc...  and how much time he has to work with the receiving corps.

One thing that eases my concerns about the integrity of his shoulder, is how jacked up he is. The shoulder was/is strong enough to work out with heavy weights. I realize pumping iron is different than throwing, but he’s obviously built strength into that same shoulder than is needed to be healthy.  I hope that, along with all the other aspects he’s focusing on, he learns to profect the slide. :monkeydance:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, a06cc said:

It just feels so nice to be right. I said it last week and I said yesterday. Andrew is throwing! There goes my “wishful” thinking again... #eatcrow

Feel better about yourself now?  Of course he was throwing behind the scenes.  I thought this was understood.

i'd be much more impressed if you predicted lottery numbers.

throw your fellow forum members a bone and give us some powerball numbers Mr Nostrodamus.  Pretty Please?

For whatever it's worth... Dr Chao chips in:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-andrew-luck-throwing-0613-story.html

Andrew Luck throws, has lot to show before start of season

$

By ProFootballDoc | Medical Analyst

It is a very good sign that Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is throwing a football, even if it is not a regulation NFL football.

But it does not rise to the level that justifies this statement by Colts owner Jim Irsay:

With Luck doing what he is doing seven weeks out from camp, there is no way the Colts will have him full go from day one of training camp. At best, he would be full-go one day followed by a day of rest at the start. 

So far, Luck has only thrown doing individual drills. He hasn’t done 7-on-7 or any other team drills. He reportedly made 20-25 throws, none longer than 20 yards, on Tuesday. The expectation should be that he will rest on Wednesday. It is certainly good news and shows progress, but it doesn't change anything from what we have been saying for months.

Luck was, by all accounts, ebullient. “I’m going to be there,” he said of the start of the season. “I’ll be playing. I believe it in my bones.” And while you must respect the hard work Luck has obviously done and love his optimism, it would be difficult to name a single athlete who is not optimistic about his rehabilitation from injury.

In fact, a good attitude is requisite when coming back from major injury.

Luck still hasn't thrown an NFL football in practice, though I am sure he could. His using a smaller size ball is a precaution, as it puts less stress on his shoulder. The pertinent questions: When he will be able throw day after day, week after week without developing soreness. When will he start to throw dynamically? He has been throwing weighted balls to get strong, but that is done statically.

While this will help, it does not mimic the dynamic nature of playing quarterback. It is one thing for a pitcher to throw a 95 mph fastball after a traumatic arm injury/surgery. It is another to throw it again and again over the course of a season. And it is entirely something else to do what a quarterback does. A pitcher throws from a static mound while a QB throws while on the move to a moving target, sometimes unable to step into throws, sometimes off-balance, sometimes having to change arm angles and avoid tacklers.

Will Luck be good to go for the regular season? I hope so. I think so.

But we can't know for sure until he does it day after day.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Right. That means he's already throwing 3 days in a row, although he's limited. He said he's not throwing a hundred balls a day, and he's not regularly using a full size ball. 

Still significant benchmarks to be cleared, but he appears to be past the worst of it. Now he'll have to gradually work up to a real QB workload, without any setbacks. And as CBFL says, he'll eventually have to play football. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I think you have the schedule slightly off...

What I read and heard is...   throw on Mon/Tue/Wed...      take Thursday off and then throw Friday.   And that's it for the week.

Mon-Wed equals the Wed-Fri of a normal week.   And the Friday equals the Sunday.

So....   throw 4 days a week...   rest 3 days a week.     Just like a normal NFL week during the season.    That was my takeaway.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I read and heard is...   throw on Mon/Tue/Wed...      take Thursday off and then throw Friday.   And that's it for the week.

Mon-Wed equals the Wed-Fri of a normal week.   And the Friday equals the Sunday.

So....   throw 4 days a week...   rest 3 days a week.     Just like a normal NFL week during the season.    That was my takeaway.

Possible interpretation indeed. Not sure. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That was my interpretation as well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Yes, that is what he laid out. He also stated that the Friday/Sunday workout is/will be more of a full go like a game would be, with the other three days seeming to be lighter/more of a pitch count. I took away that we should expect lighter practice reps during the actual season (i.e., unlike in 2015 that isn't a bad sign unless he obviously has a setback or re-injures it). 

It was reported that during today's practice, he made longer throws, as well as some throws with a full size football. Color me more optimistic about the situation than I have been in a looooong time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Feel better about yourself now?  Of course he was throwing behind the scenes.  I thought this was understood.

i'd be much more impressed if you predicted lottery numbers.

throw your fellow forum members a bone and give us some powerball numbers Mr Nostrodamus.  Pretty Please?

Blah blah blah! You don’t know this place. Who are you?

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Exactly, except with reps and distance limitations that gradually increase over time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Blah blah blah! You don’t know this place. Who are you?

Who am i?

i am the WoolMagnet.

Duh!

who are you?  Besides someone who apparently likes to pat himself on the back and toot his own horn over making common sense predictions.  Lighten up, i was just messin with you.

oh, and my prediction is the Colts will wear blue and white next year.

15 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Who am i?

i am the WoolMagnet.

Duh!

who are you?  Besides someone who apparently likes to pat himself on the back and toot his own horn over making common sense predictions.  Lighten up, i was just messin with you.

oh, and my prediction is the Colts will wear blue and white next year.

Yes I’ll Pat McAfee myself on the back if I have. Your just upset because again I was right. I’m not going to sit here and listen your half hearted “I was joking” comment. You weren’t joking. Now your trying to recover  eating the feast of crow. #buildthebadger 

6 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Yes I’ll Pat McAfee myself on the back if I have. Your just upset because again I was right. I’m not going to sit here and listen your half hearted “I was joking” comment. You weren’t joking. Now your trying to recover  eating the feast of crow. #buildthebadger 

I was messing with you because your "prediction" was common sense.  A person can celebrate when the sun comes up every morning too, but come on.  

And upset?  Really? Upset that someone was right that the sky is blue?  Or that grass is green?  Really?

go out on a limb next time with "water is wet" or something. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, Superman said:

He said he hasn't thrown The Duke. Has he been throwing the college ball all this time?

Hate to say this but I quote 

Luck was not actually throwing a regulation football. He was throwing a high school football. And he told Pro Football Talk's PFT Live that he had a "mental block" to throwing a real NFL football. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-says-he-had-a-little-mental-block-throwing-a-regulation-football/ 

Give him time, hes just easing back and is making sure no setbacks

On 6/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, Superman said:

• Like 3

On 6/13/2018 at 5:08 AM, DaveA1102 said:

I swear, some on here will find a reason to be negative about anything! haha

"We won the Superbowl?! That's all well and good but we only pick 32nd in the draft next year!"

Lets take some good news where we can and enjoy the ride people! 

You know, I remember when the Colts beat the Patriots in the AFCCG and there were Colts fans that actually said, until Manning can be New England on the road in the snow they would still consider him a playoff choker.

1 hour ago, bayone said:

Luck was not actually throwing a regulation football. He was throwing a high school football. And he told Pro Football Talk's PFT Live that he had a "mental block" to throwing a real NFL football. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-says-he-had-a-little-mental-block-throwing-a-regulation-football/ 

Wow, that was taking very far out of context.  The article said at during his rehab he had a "little mental block".  considering he has been going through the rehab process for a year and a half, who knows when he had the little mental block.

I assume since he was throwing an NFL football on Wednesday, that is no longer the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bayone said:

Good to see you.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 12:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

On 6/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, Superman said:

Mine too, with limitations though.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, Larry Horseman said:

Yes, that is what he laid out. He also stated that the Friday/Sunday workout is/will be more of a full go like a game would be, with the other three days seeming to be lighter/more of a pitch count. I took away that we should expect lighter practice reps during the actual season (i.e., unlike in 2015 that isn't a bad sign unless he obviously has a setback or re-injures it). 

It was reported that during today's practice, he made longer throws, as well as some throws with a full size football. Color me more optimistic about the situation than I have been in a looooong time. 

Same...

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Wow, that was taking very far out of context.  The article said at during his rehab he had a "little mental block".  considering he has been going through the rehab process for a year and a half, who knows when he had the little mental block.

I assume since he was throwing an NFL football on Wednesday, that is no longer the case.

On first hearing, I winced a touch, but on playback it was a little issue, one he overcame quickly in secret with Frank Reich 3 weeks ago.  But hew is still 'bridging between a smaller ball and the NFL ball.  It's covered in my takeaways below-

My takeaways (and I went back and listened again to check)-

"This doesn't mean I'm going to be throwing a 100 balls a day, 6 days in a row. There's going to be a plan."

His 'big picture' is to mimic a game week, that is what he is preparing for (this means he is on a pitch count for now, but progressing up to fully duplicating it in time) and mimicking the daily regimen. That's big picture. His short term goal is "be ready for training camp, not just participate, but get better, do better, go'. And will mimic game weeks again like he is now.

On throwing the Duke full time-

"I'm bridging right now, and doing overhead tennis serves, which is less stress on the arm" (it's because the player does not release the racquet/ball/ whatever is in their hand) and "I'm using a smaller ball because it puts a little less stress on the arm."

On soreness-

"Last year was pain, there's none of that now. ... I feel better, my dips after throwing (recovery from workout phase amount) are less, my body doesn't revolt to new things I ask (introduces into his program) and those are incremental an planned out very very well so  I (he) can adapt to it better."  This is exactly what an interval throwing program does. He's trusting in that process but pushes himself and goes hard (within the confines laid out for that day, I'm sure). He will push, but knows not to 'cross the line' and listen when his body says enough is enough (for the day).

On where he is right now and his progression-

"Look, if I went out here tomorrow and threw 100 footballs I'd feel it, and it would be bad, and I'd sitting up here with probably a little different countenance on my face. But I'm not going to do that. There's a process I believe in, there's steps I believe in..."

This guy is not just saying the right things, you can tell he is Doing the right things, and then reporting it when asked.  I believe him when he says he will not suffer a setback and will be ready ofr the Bengals...

3 hours ago, bayone said:

Hey Barry!  Nice to 'see you' ...

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Article is dated the 13th which was Wednesday as well

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

Good to see you.

Same to u —- See comment at the bottom of this response

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Mine too, with limitations though.

Same...

On first hearing, I winced a touch, but on playback it was a little issue, one he overcame quickly in secret with Frank Reich 3 weeks ago.  But hew is still 'bridging between a smaller ball and the NFL ball.  It's covered in my takeaways below-

My takeaways (and I went back and listened again to check)-

"This doesn't mean I'm going to be throwing a 100 balls a day, 6 days in a row. There's going to be a plan."

His 'big picture' is to mimic a game week, that is what he is preparing for (this means he is on a pitch count for now, but progressing up to fully duplicating it in time) and mimicking the daily regimen. That's big picture. His short term goal is "be ready for training camp, not just participate, but get better, do better, go'. And will mimic game weeks again like he is now.

On throwing the Duke full time-

"I'm bridging right now, and doing overhead tennis serves, which is less stress on the arm" (it's because the player does not release the racquet/ball/ whatever is in their hand) and "I'm using a smaller ball because it puts a little less stress on the arm."

On soreness-

"Last year was pain, there's none of that now. ... I feel better, my dips after throwing (recovery from workout phase amount) are less, my body doesn't revolt to new things I ask (introduces into his program) and those are incremental an planned out very very well so  I (he) can adapt to it better."  This is exactly what an interval throwing program does. He's trusting in that process but pushes himself and goes hard (within the confines laid out for that day, I'm sure). He will push, but knows not to 'cross the line' and listen when his body says enough is enough (for the day).

On where he is right now and his progression-

"Look, if I went out here tomorrow and threw 100 footballs I'd feel it, and it would be bad, and I'd sitting up here with probably a little different countenance on my face. But I'm not going to do that. There's a process I believe in, there's steps I believe in..."

This guy is not just saying the rigArticle is dated the 13th which was Wednesday as wellht things, you can tell he is Doing the right things, and then reporting it when asked.  I believe him when he says he will not suffer a setback and will be ready ofr the Bengals...

I didn’t know there was something to listen to that same interesting take thanks for the snippets

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hey Barry!  Nice to 'see you' ...

Same to you. - been ages. - no idea wheb. Be back— but do read - obviously luck rehab is main thing and drew my attention same to u - see bottom —- Just got back from visiting Brother nephews great nephews and nieces etc. quite tired looked on the forum for relaxation best to all members best of all Colts let’s have a great season.  ——-        Now it’s time to sleep and really rest again best to all

• Like 5

On 6/12/2018 at 4:45 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

He should definitely start week 1 at this point, barring any setbacks. I think we'll know by the beginning of the season if he can take a sack, and at the very least, play without any pain anymore. 9-7 record with a wildcard is what I'm thinking as well. Luck will be back to his old self by the end of the season, and the two questions will be 1.) Were we good enough to make the playoffs? 2.) If we did, can we beat a playoff caliber team based on how good the team currently is and if Luck is back to 100%?

You might be right.     Might be.

But I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

First,  no one knows how Luck will perform,  even if he starts week 1.     And I mean.....     no one.

Second,  we have no idea how the defense will be.     Ballard is a long, long way from building this roster to playoff level.   Even with Luck, we're a long way off.     Ballard has NOT made moves like a GM who sees the playoffs in our near future.     If he did think that,  I think he'd be signing some of the FA's he brought in to kick their tires.    But he hasn't really signed anyone of any significance for a long time.     That should tell you something.

We are far more likely to still be a year away that be a year too early.     It's possible.   But it's not likely.

On 6/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

He should definitely start week 1 at this point, barring any setbacks. I think we'll know by the beginning of the season if he can take a sack, and at the very least, play without any pain anymore. 9-7 record with a wildcard is what I'm thinking as well. Luck will be back to his old self by the end of the season, and the two questions will be 1.) Were we good enough to make the playoffs? 2.) If we did, can we beat a playoff caliber team based on how good the team currently is and if Luck is back to 100%?

I can see 9-7 if he's healthy.   I don't think that's far fetched.

Maybe even 10-6 tops but more likely the latter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So?  That doesn't have anything to do with anything I said, except that he threw and NFL football on Wednesday.

i hadn't seen the nice write up of snippets from a listening session nor did i see anything in writing that said a college ball, all i had read was about a high school ball in a few places and thought it was new as was listed under by CBS a topic  luck finally throwing 

if one clicks on link it says under title Luck was throwing a high school football at Colts minicamp on Tuesday

However the listening session  included in article does mention a  smaller college ball so me bad for not listening

the listening  session also notes as i guessed & wrote he is doing things right not to rush but this is a good step even if smaller ball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bayone said:

i hadn't seen the nice write up of snippets from a listening session nor did i see anything in writing that said a college ball, all i had read was about a high school ball in a few places and thought it was new as was listed under by CBS a topic  luck finally throwing 

if one clicks on link it says under title Luck was throwing a high school football at Colts minicamp on Tuesday

However the listening session  included in article does mention a  smaller college ball so me bad for not listening

the listening  session also notes as i guessed & wrote he is doing things right not to rush but this is a good step even if smaller ball

The comment about the article being misleading was about the mental block about throwing an NFL football.  The article mentions it but states that during his rehab he had a mental block.  The article made it sound like after Tuesday's practice luck had a mental block .... but that is not the case.  It could have been a year ago or 2 weeks ago.  I have a feeling the article (not you) was being purposely misleading.

And I have not seen you post for quite a while, I know you typically don't post much during the offseason, good to have you posting again.