Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tidbits from OTA reports

ztboiler

Article on the front page suggests Tyquan Smith and Denico Autry are being used heavily on the inside.  This would foreshadow being even lighter and quicker than many of us hoped...and maybe not just on obvious passing downs.  I'd rather not swing the pendulum all the way back to Raheem Brock on base downs.

5 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Article on the front page suggests Tyquan Smith and Denico Autry are being used heavily on the inside.  This would foreshadow being even lighter and quicker than many of us hoped...and maybe not just on obvious passing downs.  I'd rather not swing the pendulum all the way back to Raheem Brock on base downs.

I think you mean Tyquan Lewis, not Smith.

Otherwise your point is noted.

1 hour ago, ztboiler said:

I'd have to assume these are for obvious 3rd and long/passing situations. I really don't want to see either in the middle of the line outside of that.

Yeah I would hope Ballard always accounts for stopping the run as well, so having at least 1 big body at DT who is great at both stopping the run and getting to the passer would greatly help. 

We don't want a super light defense where we get gashed in the ground game all over again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Yeah I would hope Ballard always accounts for stopping the run as well, so having at least 1 big body at DT who is great at both stopping the run and getting to the passer would greatly help. 

We don't want a super light defense where we get gashed in the ground game all over again. 

Al woods is gonna be the big body to fill the gaps up

32 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I am pretty sure every team wants at least 1 big body at DT who is great at both stopping the run and getting to the passer.  That's nothing new.  The problem is finding those guys.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I'd hate to see us back in that same situation where one draw play allows the opponents RB to get 8 yds and a full head of steam before even being touched by a player on our defense.  It puts Too much pressure on the secondary to make tackles that normally your linebackers should be making, and with the size of the RBs in the AFC South... well I'd rather not think about that again lol.

Hopefully Reich and Eberflus know that teams will wear us down and control the game too easily if we field a defensive line that is undersized to the point of getting blown off the line of scrimmage like we did in the Dungy era.  I can still picture some Jags fans posting MJD 375 baby!!!11!1! That was the worst. Yuck.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Likely backed up by Stewart.   He's 333 pounds, biggest player on the team.

Im a fan of Grover's. He's a big guy coming from a small school and a late rd pick. Ballard mentioned something last year about how if Stewart develops he could be quick enough to continually get in the other teams back field.  Apparently he has a quick first step for his size.

“Grover Stewart, one of the reasons I was so attracted to him coming out was he had great get off,” Ballard said. “For a big man, Grover can really run. This scheme is predicated on being able to get up field and penetrate into the gap. We got work to do."

Edited by Mike Tahoe
Added quote
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

Yeah, that sucked.  Then 2 months later, the Colts won the Superbowl : )

What an amazing time to be a Colts fan.  We finished with one of the worst run defenses in history that regular season. Then Bob Sanders comes back for the playoffs  and we managed to shutdown both Larry Johnson and Jamal Lewis, and finally we beat New England in one of the best games ever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It will be interesting to see, I gotta think Autry plays inside on primarily passing downs. However, Dallas has undersized DT's in Crawford and Irving and they've been in the top 10 in run defense the past two years. They do have a better LB corps that likely helps though.

22 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Each player will be responsible for penetrating/filling just One Gap (DL and LB's).  Those players that don't get into/through their gap (blocked straight up) and thus get moved off/away from their gap allow the 'gashing' (holes). It's an assignment/execution thing as well, not just weight.

• Like 2