Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Swoope

coltsfeva

I know we brought in Ebron for explosiveness but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some 3 TE sets involving Eric Swoope. Dude is pretty fast, has good hands and can win some matchups.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the Colts use him (if he makes the team). 

• Like 1

Make or break time for Swoope. He has some tantalizing moments, but he's been injured too often. He may not even make it out of training camp, so lets not get ahead of ourselves. But here's hoping for a breakout year for the guy. 

I was always excited about the prospect of Swoope.  His measurables are great and when he has been given the opportunity it seems like he makes plays.  As already has been stated tho, he needs to be able to stay on the field.  All in all I am excited about the TE position in this offense.  

27 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

We may stash him behind Ebron and Doyel just due to his physicality and speed. Whenever Ballard decides to only have 2 TEs on the roster, I think he's unfortunately gone.

I agree with the caveat that Ebron plays well. If he (Ebron) drops passes, I think Swoope may see more playing time than we expected.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

We may stash him behind Ebron and Doyel just due to his physicality and speed. Whenever Ballard decides to only have 2 TEs on the roster, I think he's unfortunately gone.

nfl teams never intentionally have less than 3 active TEs.  you need at least two on the field for several important formations, and they need a back up 

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

Ballard has spoken highly of the TE group.    The last two drafts have both been very good for TEs and Ballard didn't take a single one.

i think the chances of Ballard having a roster with only two TEs on it are bordering on zero.

• Like 5

There's no way the Colts only keep two TE's on the roster. 

Doyle and Ebron are locks and Swoope and Travis are the ones that will fight for roster spots if for some reason the Colts only keep 3 TE's.

I think the Colts roll with 4 TE's though (especially with the way Reich's offense is designed) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hoose said:

Make or break time for Swoope. He has some tantalizing moments, but he's been injured too often. He may not even make it out of training camp, so lets not get ahead of ourselves. But here's hoping for a breakout year for the guy. 

This is absolutely true. Some on here think hes a TE God in the making:scratch: Me I think he will be hard pressed to even make the team!!

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think the Colts roll with 4 TE's though (especially with the way Reich's offense is designed) 

Something's got to give. I'm thinking they want 4 RBs, can't have both. They might also want 10 OL. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

If Swoope can stay injury free, I would rather have him on the field than Ebron. He gets open and can actually make the big play. He just needs the opportunity and the health.

Swoope made like two "big" plays since he's been here, was on the IR all last year and so far this offseason and you think he needs to be on the field instead of Ebron....

Look, we all like Swoope's potential, but Ebron has actually produced.

Swoope is in danger of being cut in favor of Daniels or Travis because he lacks availability.

50 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

19.8woope made like two "big" plays since he's been here, was on the IR all last year and so far this offseason and you think he needs to be on the field instead of Ebron....

Look, we all like Swoope's potential, but Ebron has actually produced.

Swoope is in danger of being cut in favor of Daniels or Travis because he lacks availability.

My friend, I'm just going by fact. Ebron averaged a whopping 2.8 TDs per season and he played regularly, and a very unimpressive 11.8 yards per catch despite having a QB like Stafford. On the other hand, Swoope averaged 19.8 ypc in 2016. And yes, I did qualify my statement that if he can stay healthy.  I saw Ebron play here in NC and watched him in Detroit (knowing one of their coaches pretty well).  Great potential/little production. But still holding out hope for him.

19 hours ago, buccolts said:

And don't forget Ross Travis.

Pretty much in the same situation Swoope is in.

I just started a thread about how I fancy Travis to be an under the radar impact player for us this year.  Ebron and Doyle obviously the front runners but I just think I saw something in those fleeting appearances last year from Travis that I think he could be a good player for us this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

My friend, I'm just going by fact. Ebron averaged a whopping 2.8 TDs per season and he played regularly, and a very unimpressive 11.8 yards per catch despite having a QB like Stafford. On the other hand, Swoope averaged 19.8 ypc in 2016. And yes, I did qualify my statement that if he can stay healthy.  I saw Ebron play here in NC and watched him in Detroit (knowing one of their coaches pretty well).  Great potential/little production. But still holding out hope for him.

Eric Ebron, age 25 - 186 career receptions, 2070 yards, 11 TDs

Eric Swoope, age 26 - 15 career receptions, 297 yards, 1 TD

And you're saying Swoope should replace Ebron because Ebron lacks production? 

1 hour ago, Doug Wilson said:

If Ebron was a UDFA, he'd be amazing.

2 hours ago, Doug Wilson said:

Please read closer. I said "if he can stay injury free". Yes, I think he can be more productive than 11.8 ypc and 2.8 TDs per season despite having a prolific QB like Stafford. "if he can stay injury free" is a big if for Swoope, but yes, 500 yds per season is not very productive for a TE in a pass happy system for Ebron, but hey, just my opinion.

16 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

swoope has just one TD in his career. 

ebron has actually produced a somewhat compared to swoopes 1 TD and 297 yards total in his career