Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck close to throwing: Reich

csmopar

4 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

He's only been coach for a few months, why would Luck be close to throwing Reich?  Hope he doesn't hurt his shoulder doing it, Reich is a lot heavier than a football.

Well, that goes a long way to explaining this tweet!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It isn't meant to be. It's the reality of the situation that Irsay and Ballard backed themselves into. They've doubled down on their position on Luck. If he plays, everything is fine, if not, then Ballard and Irsay will get a lot of backlash this time, and we may have to rely on Brissett. At least I'm willing to have some patience and wait until the regular season starts. Also, for anyone who wants to trash me, talking it out and venting helps me relax a bit. At least I'm in a better position than before where I was lashing out. I just want a healthy Luck. It's been 4 years.

I think most of us want a healthy Luck, there might be a couple of exceptions on this board.  However, I don't believe there will be a huge backlash against the front office in the event that Luck is unable to play.  Ballard certainly doesn't have anything to do with Luck being in the situation he's in.

On 6/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

It's possible, but I don't buy that 100%. Brissett may be better than any of them to start, but there's no doubt all of them have potential to be better than Brissett in a year or two. They could of sat behind Brissett for a year and got a chance to start year 2 after gaining some experience. I do believe it's because Ballard and Irsay are making an all or nothing claim that Luck will be fully healthy again. If it works, then they can say they knew Luck was going to be healthy, and there was no need to draft a QB. The trade down would look even more genius then. If Luck is done, then nobody has any credibility left and we no longer have a guaranteed top pick to draft a QB and have to roll with Brissett. It's like going double or nothing on a roulette wheel after losing a big bet.

I disagree. I don't think drafting a QB was ever an option. Ballard has preached since day one that it's not about one person. He is trying to build a roster that doesn't require an elite QB to win...one that is strong enough to be able to plug-and-win with good QB play (like MIN, KC, PHI etc.). So from a philosophical standpoint, drafting a QB at #3 would not have fit...but trading back to get more picks certainly did.

But even moreso, they didn't need to draft a QB because Nick Foles is Plan B (which seems almost too obvious). He is set to hit FA next offseason (after he declines his player option). The Colts have tons of cap space that they obviously saved for something...AND they have his OC from the Super Bowl run as HC. And the roster should be much stronger heading into next season. The fit is perfect...and Foles is only a few months older than Luck (so he is a long-term option).

IF Luck can't go, they will just roll with Brissett, sign Foles in the offseason and hit the ground running in 2019. 

23 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I think you’re reading too much into Ballard trading down and not picking a QB in the draft.  The only way I saw Ballard picking a QB at #3 was if Luck or his doctors said he was done.  As long as Luck is rehabbing and things are looking like he will play then there was no need to panick and pick a QB at #3. The team is not likely to win much this year even with a healthy Luck.  Brissett will fill in nicely and if for some reason Luck doesn’t play at all or is completely done then Ballard will be picking pretty high next year and then he would pick a QB but the foundation for the team would already be set.  According to Ballard, he is trying to build a complete team that is not totally reliant on the QB. 

Yep...he (and many others) seem to be reading way too much into Ballard trading back. Part of that is on Ballard though...for saying that was proof of how much they believe in Luck. That sounded like complete nonsense...especially in contrast to everything else he has said about team culture, roster construction, etc.

I will take it a step further...I think for Ballard to have drafted a QB, Luck would have had to have publicly retired before the draft. Just from a PR standpoint, there is no way they were going to draft a QB and basically announce that Luck is likely done after everything else that has been said. Could you imagine the % storm and distraction that would have caused?

But like you said, they didn't even need to draft one. Luck is rehabbing and they are going to give him as much time as he needs. And even if they know the odds are against Luck, they also know they will have other options (Foles or the draft). So the goal right now is to improve and develop the overall talent of the team...and build a strong roster for whomever is playing QB for the next few years.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hopes are good.

Just don’t get them too high. Superman is right, IMHO. Luck won’t throw until after minicamp. When? Who knows. We still need to be patient, even after he does throw. He still has a lot of work ahead of him.

Well Superman was wrong. Now you two have to eat crow

On 6/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Agree its sooner rather than later. Probably been tennis balls or something. Bionic arms take some tweaking yall, patience has been a theme for some time. 

Man sucks to be you when I predicted he’d be throwing this week.... #eatcrow

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Yup.  Even 10 - 20 soft tosses does count, so you were right.  I have the salt shaker...

Now, do you care to predict when he is throwing 50+ yard 9 routes  with the 'Duke'?

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yup.  Even 10 - 20 soft tosses does count, so you were right.  I have the salt shaker...

Now, do you care to predict when he is throwing 50+ yard 9 routes  with the 'Duke'?

Twitter account from Reggie says he has been throwing the “duke” for about 3 weeks now. Again I also said that’s why Reggie was in the building.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Twitter account from Reggie says he has been throwing the “duke” for about 3 weeks now. Again I also said that’s why Reggie was in the building.

I have a picture that clearly shows he wasn't today.

636644077788886354-luck-throwing.jpg

Reggie says 3 weeks ago when Andrew threw the Duke, it wasn't him (@ 2:35 in this video) there catching, but we know Frank Reich was there and was sworn to secrecy. I don't think Luck has been throwing it for 3 weeks and then went to the TDS just for today.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I have a picture that clearly shows he wasn't today.

636644077788886354-luck-throwing.jpg

Reggie says 3 weeks ago when Andrew threw the Duke, it wasn't him (@ 2:35 in this video) there catching, but we know Frank Reich was there and was sworn to secrecy. I don't think Luck has been throwing it for 3 weeks and then went to the TDS just for today.

No Luck was throwing a regulation size football 3 weeks ago. Even in the video you posted. Andrew clearly says he was throwing “the duke”. I’m not going to sit here and argue with you. I was right at the end of the day. 

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

Man sucks to be you when I predicted he’d be throwing this week.... #eatcrow

12 hours ago, a06cc said:

2 minutes ago, a06cc said:

No Luck was throwing a regulation size football 3 weeks ago. Even in the video you posted. Andrew clearly says he was throwing “the duke”. I’m not going to sit here and argue with you. I was right at the end of the day. 

At least you are magnanimous in being right! haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

At least you are magnanimous in being right! haha

I’m only being a savage to the ones who told me I was crazy or had wishful thinking. So yes I’m going to gloat.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Sooner than later, & certainly before training camp.

Thanks for posting this. Andrew said he is pain free. So within the next few weeks I think he’ll let it rip. 

I like the Frank Reich video after the practice about 5:20 where he was asked if Andrew has let it ripped yet.  His response about kind of let it ripped.  I see it as he’s chucked it.  But they are going still take it slow.

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Thanks for posting this. Andrew said he is pain free. So within the next few weeks I think he’ll let it rip. 

It's common sense. He can't come into training camp & take all the first team reps if he can only make certain throws, that wouldn't be smart.

6 hours ago, a06cc said:

Whatever. (besides, I said - Reggie says 3 weeks ago when Andrew threw the Duke, it wasn't him catching it. To me, it is clear he is, at minimum, alternating them to me, (and probably has been) and he admitted he had a mental block about tossing the Duke a little while back, that's why he had to try it some in secret with Reich first...

I just read reports Luck was alternating balls once again today...  and he is throwing more passes, and increased distance but he is still on a program that sets his daily quota.

He has on off day tomorrow, so no more with the team in minicamp. It was before minicamp when I agreed with Superman Luck would not throw publicly, and we both admitted we were wrong there.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, a06cc said:

Can you post that tweet? I've searched his twitter account and found nothing. :(

Training camp was Luck's goal, let's hope he meets it.  There's plenty of time.

I'd assume that he'll be throwing deep passes well before that. He was already throwing 20-25 yard routes to receivers today, with the full-size NFL ball, so I actually expect this to progress pretty quickly barring any setbacks.

Can you post that tweet? I've searched his twitter account and found nothing. :(

I’m done saying anything. I’m glad you admitted you were wrong. Even more happy Luck is throwing now. We can all agree as Colts fans about that. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd assume that he'll be throwing deep passes well before that. He was already throwing 20-25 yard routes to receivers today, with the full-size NFL ball, so I actually expect this to progress pretty quickly barring any setbacks.

I feel he's been throwing a football for a few weeks now, probably the smaller high school one but still

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Typically, an athlete in a throwing program has to follow guidelines, many are very similar to these-

Perform interval throwing program exercises before engaging in strengthening routine **

The athlete must complete two or three sessions at each step without complications before advancing.**

Rest days between steps/phases.

It appears Luck has advanced to at least Phase II, which is usually 20-25 yards, Phase III is 30-35, phase IV is 40-45, then phase V is 50+

"The athlete should warm-up by jogging, biking, or jumping rope to increase blood flow
and increase muscular flexibility. Following warm-up, stretching should be performed.
Emphasis should by placed on proper throwing and body mechanics. The athlete should
begin with warm-up throws."

"During the recovery process the athlete may experience soreness and possibly a dull,
aching sensation in the muscles and tendons."

Luck admitted to mild case of this already

"If the athlete experiences sharp pain, particularly in the joint, stop all throwing activity until the pain ceases and call the athlete’s physician if the pain continues."

Luck said this was the case last year, but not this year

"It is essential that the thrower complete each individual phase with the proper throwing
and body mechanics and without an increase in pain. Once the phase has been completed,
the athlete then progresses to the next phase. This sets up a progression that an individual goal is achieved prior to advancement instead of advancing at a specified time. The program is based on an individual thrower, and because all throwers will vary, there is no time for completion of the program. This progression greatly decreases the chance for injury and greatly increases the most adequate and safest route to return to competition."

Nevertheless, they are designed ot get the athlete back to top performance but minimize the chance of re-injury, which is the main goal. Where Luck is, and when he finishes and all restrictions are lifted, we won't know until it happens, but they will be very careful getting to that point. They have to, for the stakes are too high to mess this up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

His medical team / trainers have a specific methodology, and we are not privy too it (or timeline).  But here is a sample of a throwing program for QB's recovering form surgery-

Phase I 10 yds
Step I
Warm-up throwing
10 yds 25 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
10 yds 25 throws
Step II
Warm up throwing
10 yds 25 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
10 yds 25 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
10 yds 25 throws

Phase II 20 yds
Step I
Warm up throwing
20 yds 25 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
20 yds 25 throws
Step II
Warm-up throwing
20 yds 25 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm up throwing
20 yds 25 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm up throwing
20 yds 25 throws

Phase III 30 yds
Step I
Warm-up throwing
30 yds 15 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
30 yds 15 throws
Step II
Warm-up throwing
30 yds 15 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
30 yds 15 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
30 yds 15 throws

Phase IV 40 yds
Step I
Warm-up throwing
40 yds 15 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
40 yds 15 throws
Step II
Warm-up throwing
40 yds 15 throws
Rest 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
40 yds 15 throws
Rest 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
40 yds 15 throws

Phase V 50 yds
Step I
Warm-up throwing
50 yds 10 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
50 yds 10 throws
Step II
Warm-up throwing
50 yds 10 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
50 yds 10 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
50 yds 10 throws
Phase V Deep Passes  
Step I
Warm-up throwing
Deep route 10 throws
Rest for 15 minutes
Warm-up throwing
Deep route 10 throws
Step II
Warm-up throwing
Deep route 10 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
Deep route 10 throws
Rest for 10 minutes
Warm-up throwing
Deep route 10 throws

Every thrower is different in completing these.  Then they get to particiapte in full practice, and play in 7 on 7, or 11 on 11 drills, or scrimmage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1