Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The list of Colts potentials that never panned out

Mike Tahoe

50 minutes ago, Grigson's Gaffes said:

One that always sticks out to me is Josh Chapman. There was also a cornerback who I believe we traded for from the New York Giants that started for one season but I can't remember his name now. It was late in the Polian era.

I think his name was Justin Tryon. We ended up trading him to the Giants in 2011 I believe

9 hours ago, twfish said:

One terrible concussion and a complete distrust from the NFL and the organization who were wanting him to take a medicine his professors at Yale told him not to touch definitely does not correspond with being injury prone. I mean he retired because of that incident.

I was not aware of that , thank you

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

My point with Rison was we traded him after a solid rookie season, Chris Hinton and our 1st to draft.......Jeff George. Ugh.....

Burlsworth was a HOSS and his death sucked for his family for sure, and the Colts.

Emtman......his knees literally blew out the moment he stepped on our turf....

There were many that felt Etman's issues were steroid related as he gained something like 50 lbs of muscle from his Freshman to Senior years in college.  What a shame.

Okay, wasn't sure what you meant by Rison and I agree...my bad.

19 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Joseph Jefferson, Donald Strickland, Quinn Pitcock, Drake Nevis, Buster Davis to name a few.

Quinn Pitcock and Drake Nevis.  Man I was so excited when those guys got drafted.  How wrong I was.

37 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Quinn Pitcock and Drake Nevis.  Man I was so excited when those guys got drafted.  How wrong I was.

I wonder if Quinn Pitcock is still into video games as much as he was his rookie year.  Or, if he regrets giving up on football at such a young age.  There has got to be more to the story than just a video game addiction I would think.  He could have thrived in the Colts defense back then.

4 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

There were many that felt Etman's issues were steroid related as he gained something like 50 lbs of muscle from his Freshman to Senior years in college.  What a shame.

Okay, wasn't sure what you meant by Rison and I agree...my bad.

I would not put Entman, Rison, or Burlsworth on this list

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Steve Emtman

Quentin Coryatt

Trev Alberts

Anrhony Gonzalez

Brandon Burlsworth

Austin Collie

Jon Hand

Andre Rison

Jeff George

I could probably go on......but I digress

Austin Collie don't count because that guy was a beast before all of those Concussion's. Gonzolez definitely fits this list he was a bust.

23 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Memories   

How about Adongo, Muamba et. al

Those two sucked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Tahoe said:

I wonder if Quinn Pitcock is still into video games as much as he was his rookie year.  Or, if he regrets giving up on football at such a young age.  There has got to be more to the story than just a video game addiction I would think.  He could have thrived in the Colts defense back then.

Pitcock has played some in the Arena league but he also helps others that are suffering from video game addiction.  People try to dismiss it but game addiction is a real as alcoholism, drug addiction or tobacco addition.  Recent studies of the brain show that an hour of playing video games causes the same action in the brain as a line of coke.

For anyone interested, google Pitcock his life after he left is an interesting story.

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I wouldn’t put Jon Hand on the list either

1st round, 4th pick overall.....35.5 career sacks in 9 years with one bloated year of 10, otherwise never had more than 5.5 per....

For what we thought we were getting and where he was drafted that was not enough production.

We are both entitled to our own opinions though!

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

1st round, 4th pick overall.....35.5 career sacks in 9 years with one bloated year of 10, otherwise never had more than 5.5 per....

For what we thought we were getting and where he was drafted that was not enough production.

We are both entitled to our own opinions though!

I do not consider that or anyone who had a long career for the Colts or someone elseworthy of this list but guys like Adongo, Carter etc who were label as the next great thing but flamed out and/or never produced

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I do not consider that or anyone who had a long career for the Colts or someone elseworthy of this list but guys like Adongo, Carter etc who were label as the next great thing but flamed out and/or never produced

That's fine, as I said, we BOTH are entitled to our own opinions on the matter. :)

I remember when we signed Corey Simon as a free agent after having a great start to his career with the Eagles.  He had 32 sacks and 8 forced fumbles on his rookie deal.  It was really good production for being a huge man beast of a person that clogged the middle and chewed up blockers.  

Our Defensive Line that year had Freeney, Mathis, Montae Reagor, and Simon.  It appeared we had finally found someone to be our "Warren Sapp" in the Tampa-2.  But it didn't work out that way, Simon ends up having only one lackluster season with us.  25 tackles and  1 forced fumble. Turns out he was poly-arthritic and had arthritis practically in all of the joints in his lower body.  Luckily, we landed Booger the following season and the rest was history, but that defensive line could have been formidable back in 2005 had it worked out.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Steve Emtman

Quentin Coryatt

Trev Alberts

Anrhony Gonzalez

Brandon Burlsworth

Austin Collie

Jon Hand

Andre Rison

Jeff George

I could probably go on......but I digress

I find it a bit sad that you would list Brandon Burlsworth in a topic of players who didn't pan out. The young man died before he could ever play a game for the Colts. 

• Like 2

Polian's entire drafts 2007-2011. Full of skill players, no OL or DL, no DT to complement the DEs.

2011 with Peyton's injury was the straw the broke the camel's back.

Polian was the weak link, not Grigson; the latter tried to draft for need to overcompensate, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Polian's entire drafts 2007-2011. Full of skill players, no OL or DL, no DT to complement the DEs.

2011 with Peyton's injury was the straw the broke the camel's back.

Polian was the weak link, not Grigson; the latter tried to draft for need to overcompensate, but unfortunately it didn't work out.

so grigson misses on most of his picks who are not even here any more and you say it just didnt work out for him, but polian on the other hand was the weak link?

grigson was among the worst gms in the league after his first year

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

so grigson misses on most of his picks who are not even here any more and you say it just didnt work out for him, but polian on the other hand was the weak link?

Grigson had to reach for need, because of the 5 horrific drafts ahead of him. That's why we had Bjoern Werner, Trent Richardson, amongst others.

8 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Bill Polian was terrific for quite a while. But he lost his mojo for whatever reason with his draft acumen, and refused to fish in the free agent pool. Being that draft dependent, and drafting so poorly for several years, led to his demise. But he had quite a run, for which I am very grateful.

52 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Grigson had to reach for need, because of the 5 horrific drafts ahead of him. That's why we had Bjoern Werner, Trent Richardson, amongst others.

strange point of view you have here, and on most other things going by your posts

we had a hof GM that made two super bowls and you knock him, then we have another with very few picks that lasted more than three years on the roster and you defend him 

werner and TR were not reaches, they were straight up bad.  reach would mean they went too early, those guys are out of the league and should not have been picked at all

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 3:12 PM, twfish said:

One terrible concussion and a complete distrust from the NFL and the organization who were wanting him to take a medicine his professors at Yale told him not to touch definitely does not correspond with being injury prone. I mean he retired because of that incident.

You’re making the Colts sound sinister. Amantadine has been used for in other cases as well but hasn’t side effects that are unpleasant. They didn’t force him to take the meds.

19 hours ago, pac2 said:

I find it a bit sad that you would list Brandon Burlsworth in a topic of players who didn't pan out. The young man died before he could ever play a game for the Colts. 

Yes, it is sad that he passed, how many Colts fans remember him? That's why I listed him to keep his memory alive.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, Hoose said:

Bill Polian was terrific for quite a while. But he lost his mojo for whatever reason with his draft acumen, and refused to fish in the free agent pool. Being that draft dependent, and drafting so poorly for several years, led to his demise. But he had quite a run, for which I am very grateful.

Found a good link on Polians drafts. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/30831857

The one thing he said he regretted the most was not getting DTs that were a force inside.

But considering the potential Hall of Famers he drafted, ( at times going against conventional wisdom): Freeney at 11, James over Ricky Williams, Manning over Leaf, Reggie Wayne in the first, he deserves that gold jacket. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 11:53 PM, Grigson's Gaffes said:

One that always sticks out to me is Josh Chapman. There was also a cornerback who I believe we traded for from the New York Giants that started for one season but I can't remember his name now. It was late in the Polian era.

Jacob Lacey