Recommended Posts

Just wanted opinions and discussions about if you think the MVP should be considered from the losing team? I think there is a difference between best player and most valuable player. I’m open to changing my mind but my first thought is how valuable are you if you still don’t effect the outcome of the game. Meaning  how valuable can you be in winning and losing if you don’t effect the outcome of the game. So there for does the MVP have to come from the winning team because that player was the biggest reason for their success in winning. 

 

Just wondering because we might see Lebron avg 40 pts a game and a triple double in the finals and his team still not win it. So if you can’t effect the outcome of the game and without you the outcome would have been the same or likely the same can you be the most valuable? Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Just wanted opinions and discussions about if you think the MVP should be considered from the losing team? I think there is a difference between best player and most valuable player. I’m open to changing my mind but my first thought is how valuable are you if you still don’t effect the outcome of the game. Meaning  how valuable can you be in winning and losing if you don’t effect the outcome of the game. So there for does the MVP have to come from the winning team because that player was the biggest reason for their success in winning. 

 

Just wondering because we might see Lebron avg 40 pts a game and a triple double in the finals and his team still not win it. So if you can’t effect the outcome of the game and without you the outcome would have been the same or likely the same can you be the most valuable? Thoughts?

I think the MVP should come from the team that wins who played the best for their team. JMO. Giving it to a player on a team that loses just feels odd to me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MVP needs to be determined before the playoffs. That works for the NFL so why not for the NBA?

 They should then maybe have a separate MVP in the playoffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The MVP needs to be determined before the playoffs. That works for the NFL so why not for the NBA?

 They should then maybe have a separate MVP in the playoffs?

DG was talking about MVP of the Finals. Should a player from a losing team get it. I say no.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

DG was talking about MVP of the Finals. Should a player from a losing team get it. I say no.

Has the MVP of the league been named yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Has the MVP of the league been named yet?

No but it is still a Regular Season award. They just don't announce until the season is over. Westbrook won MVP of the League last season and lost in Round 1, Harden will probably win MVP of the League this year based on Regular Season. MVP of the League has nothing to do with MVP of the Finals. It is still separate. What DG was Posting was, what if LeBron averages 40 a game in the Finals and the Cavs still lose, should he win Finals MVP? I say no. I think whoever wins Finals MVP, his team needs to win the Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No but it is still a Regular Season award. They just don't announce until the season is over. Westbrook won MVP of the League last season and lost in Round 1, Harden will probably win MVP of the League this year based on Regular Season. MVP of the League has nothing to do with MVP of the Finals. It is still separate. What DG was Posting was, what if LeBron averages 40 a game in the Finals and the Cavs still lose, should he win Finals MVP? I say no. I think whoever wins Finals MVP, his team needs to win the Finals.

Gotcha.   I could see a difference of opinions on that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Gotcha.   I could see a difference of opinions on that.

I am not sure why the NBA stopped announcing MVP of the League before the Playoffs started? They used to do it every year like that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KINda same thing with SB mvp etc...it’s happened before and question is should it happen again or what would it take for you to name someone MVP on the losing team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure why the NBA stopped announcing MVP of the League before the Playoffs started? They used to do it every year like that.

That is what I was thinking. I have to be honest I haven't followed the NBA like I used to. I just lost interest with all the new rules changes and or the lack of calling the game with the rules already in place. The favoritism in the league just makes me disinterested.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dgambill said:

KINda same thing with SB mvp etc...it’s happened before and question is should it happen again or what would it take for you to name someone MVP on the losing team.

Yeah it's happened once in the NBA as well. Jerry West in 1969 won when the Lakers lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is what I was thinking. I have to be honest I haven't followed the NBA like I used to. I just lost interest with all the new rules changes and or the lack of calling the game with the rules already in place. The favoritism in the league just makes me disinterested.

I wont disagree there. I was a lot younger but remember the 80's really well and the 90's like it was yesterday. I loved those 2 decades, I hated the Bulls though LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah it's happened once in the NBA as well. Jerry West in 1969 won when the Lakers lost.

Makes you realize why he is the logo. Still (maybe not for long) but the all-time leading scorer in nba finals history. People forget his impact on the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously I wasn’t born quite yet lol but he avg 37.9 pts 4.7 rebs and 7.4 ast those finals. Just an incredible player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Makes you realize why he is the logo. Still (maybe not for long) but the all-time leading scorer in nba finals history. People forget his impact on the game.

Yeah he gets left out of most people's Top 10's ever, probably not fair but there have been so many other great players come along since him. He is in my Top 15 personally. The Logo was before my time but his statistics are mind blowing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he gets left out of most people's Top 10's ever, probably not fair but there have been so many other great players come along since him. He is in my Top 15 personally. The Logo was before my time but his statistics are mind blowing.

Yeah 1-8 in finals....but I think him and Wilt get unfairly criticized. I think 8 of those loses to Boston went like 7 games....talking a few points here and there from winning championships to losing 8....just crazy.

 

i also think the NBA does a disservice not going back and highlighting what these guys accomplished and showing high lights to show how the NBA was established. I bet few have any clue about how great these guys were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah 1-8 in finals....but I think him and Wilt get unfairly criticized. I think 8 of those loses to Boston went like 7 games....talking a few points here and there from winning championships to losing 8....just crazy.

Yeah nobody could beat Bill Russell back in the day but Russell had stack teams much like the Warriors do now, Lakers had in the 80's, Bulls in the 90's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt Lebron wants that award. It’s like a participation trophy if the loser gets it imo. “Hey lebron, you played your heart out even though you guys lost. Here’s another award for your collection.” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Luck 4 president said:

I doubt Lebron wants that award. It’s like a participation trophy if the loser gets it imo. “Hey lebron, you played your heart out even though you guys lost. Here’s another award for your collection.” 

Yeah I doubt it either. I am not a LeBron fan but I even know he is the best player in today's league and one of the best ever. He only cares about winning IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I doubt it either. I am not a LeBron fan but I even know he is the best player in today's league and one of the best ever. He only cares about winning IMO.

Yep he looked pretty dejected. At this point Lebron has to get tired of this. I know he is competitive and wants to win it all but there is no ring for second place. So whether he plays in Cleveland and gets beat in the finals or plays in LA or Houston or wherever and gets beat in the second round I don't think its going to matter much to him. To win it all you have to beat the best...so there is no difference fighting the Warriors in round 2 or Finals. You still have to win to become a champ. Staying in the East to me won't be a deciding factor for him to avoid teams until the finals. He will go to the team that gives him the best chance to win it all...or where he would be happiest playing. He isn't thinking about Finals appearances...he has plenty...at this point in his career his legacy is set. He is on par with the likes of Wilt Chamberlien.....just a dominant player of his generation but ran up against some juggernaut teams in the Celtics, Spurs, and Warriors during his career. He can never win enough to surpass Michael or likely even Kobe...no matter if he was not the favorite to win almost any of his titles or not. I think Lebron should just focus on happy basketball playing on a roster of players that complement him and play with a high basketball IQ. No matter if they lose in the second round or the finals its not going to change perceptions...so play where you will be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, if they gave the awards based on being the "most valuable" to their team then Lebron James would win it every time. Looking at the Finals this year, if you were to take Lebron away from the Cavs, there is a good chance this team doesn't even make the playoffs. With Golden State, the opposite is true. If you were to take KD or Steph Curry off the Warriors not only would they still make the playoffs, they would still be the prohibitive favorite to win it all. That being said, I don't think that they will give the award to Lebron when the Cavs lose the series.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The winning team should have the MVP.  There is absolutely no way a player on the losing team who gets swept or loses in 5 should get MVP.  Just my opinion.  It's KD's to lose.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 9:49 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the MVP should come from the team that wins who played the best for their team. JMO. Giving it to a player on a team that loses just feels odd to me.

Agreed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 2:05 PM, BullsColtsFan1 said:

The winning team should have the MVP.  There is absolutely no way a player on the losing team who gets swept or loses in 5 should get MVP.  Just my opinion.  It's KD's to lose.

I think Steph should have got MVP. Curry had a rough game 3 but outside of that he pretty much did whatever he wanted too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.