Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alliance American Football League or the XFL

Myles

Which has the best shot to succeed?

I say the Alliance League.  

The XFL hasn’t announced anything since late January and by the time the league gets back in the news it could be too late. The AAF has deals with stadiums. It’s unlikely those stadiums and cities would be able to welcome an XFL franchise. That means Atlanta, Memphis, Orlando, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and San Diego are off the board. Four of those cities don’t have a professional football team in their city. That would have made those cities perfect for the XFL. The AAF beat the XFL to the punch.

Pretty decent list:

Head Coaches:

Atlanta - Brad Childress
Memphis - Mike Singletary
Orlando - Steve Spurrier
Phoenix - Rick Neuheisel
Salt Lake - Dennis Erickson
San Diego - Mike Martz

• Thanks 1

Id say neither. the talent pool is just never gonna be at the same playing level as the NFL so unless they provide something the NFL doesn't, I can't see there being a major fanbase to get behind either product

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Why is it whenever a new football league starts up, people seem make an effort to point out how it's not going to work? What does that accomplish?

its called monopoly buddy

6 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It looks like they have decent coaches lined up as well. I like what I'm seeing from the AAF. The XFL did announce Oliver Luck as commissioner, but other than that I'm not sure of any other news from the league.

Besides Oliver Luck being named Commissioner (and CEO) they have every league office slot filled-

http://www.all-xfl.com/xfl/leag_office/leag_office.shtml

Oliver Luck was previously the president of NFL Europe and the chief executive officer of the Houston Sports Authority, which helped bring the Texans to Houston as an NFL expansion team in 2002. He knows about the business of football.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Id say neither. the talent pool is just never gonna be at the same playing level as the NFL so unless they provide something the NFL doesn't, I can't see there being a major fanbase to get behind either product

AAF is for upcoming stars that need a touch more experience/reps to become good enough to make an NFL squad, and ex stars on the backside of their career that are not getting NFL attention but still have gas in the tank and are not ready to hang up the cleats.  I guarantee there will be a (possibly few) star(s) from this league once in the NFL.  And a reserve pool for NFL teams.  Not too unlike the minor leagues for baseball, except teams aren't assigned to NFL teams per se, but I think NFL teams close to an AAF team get special consideration for those players in their market over other NFL teams.  AAF is actually declaring being complimentary to NFL .

AAF - We are confident we have the right team and long-term financial resources in place to ensure fans will experience high-quality professional football for many seasons to come,” Ebersol said in a statement.

XFL - "We're focused on what we think is a solid business plan with a solid runway and a solid timeline," O. Luck told ESPN. "Our ultimate goal is to make this all work having high quality football by 2020 and that remains paramount."

• Like 1

Things may get very interesting very soon in professional football...  With multiple leagues providing the possibility of a compelling football game every night of the week (all MY rowdy friends are here for Tuesday and Wednesday night Hank Williams Jr. and they ARE ready for some football!)  And the natural American appeal of a comeback story where a guy like Johnny Football (did someone write this script? seriously...) can work his way back to Monday Night Football by playing on Tuesday Night Football...  On top of legalized gambling...  :thinking:    I have a feeling the :cash: will be there...

And there are already a plethora of guys that didn't make it in the NFL that could fill the rosters of at least one more league.  PLUS if guys like the Colts own Chris McCain with his recent accusation, or more poignantly - OBJ, who might face NFL discipline for something that might have happened in Europe, all of a sudden get "an offer they can't refuse" from the AAF or XFL...

What if a legit league in competition with the NFL last year had gotten Ezekial Elliot to jump ship last year since his season was up in the air with the NFL?  Just like Tony Dorsett got flipped.  And Jim Kelly.

If you're not ready to look over the precipice, stop reading:  You've been warned...

What if Tom Brady is the starting QB for the Indianapolis Racers of the AAF or XFL in a couple years?  If Indianapolis Racers owner Peyton Manning thinks I'm going to root for his buddy Tom Brady, even though he brought 5 more football championships to Indy, all before his 65th birthday, contributing to a championship renaissance in Indianapolis the likes of which have NEVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE.... even better than Boston and New York... and Chicago...  and... and... what was I talking about?  OH yeah, boo Tom Brady and his cyborg bionic... face...

AR-160919394.jpg

• Haha 1

I think the AAF will work.   It is a spring league when us football fans are ready for some more football.   The USFL did great outside of the NFL schedule.  

With the coaches they have lined up, the teams should be good.  

I'm looking forward to it.  

I, too, think the AAF will do well also.   However, there is a 3rd pro football league starting and they are also targeting players that are not NFL eligible, and it is an invite only league (must apply).

http://www.pacificprofootball.com/

Don Yee's (Tom Brady's agent) league have Adidas sponsorship and strong backing of Ed McCafferey among others.  I'm going to start a thread on this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CR91 said:

I don't think you get it.  This is not about either of these leagues "overtaking" the NFL.  For years, the NCAA & the CFL have survived just fine while offering inferior talent (compared to the NFL).

Instead, it is about their ability to survive financially while offering a competitive brand of football for the consumer.  For some subset of consumers, it will be about an "alternative" to the NFL.

Of course, "survival" and "growth" will depend on many factors....but having inferior talent to the NFL is not nearly as important as offering a competitive league with a strong following of consumers.

Just look at how many soccer leagues do exist/have existed in Europe for so many years....and they keep adding more leagues all the time!

• Like 2

Just now, Reality Check said:

I don't think you get it.  This is not about either of these leagues "overtaking" the NFL.  For years, the NCAA & the CFL have survived just fine while offering inferior talent (compared to the NFL).

Instead, it is about their ability to survive financially while offering a competitive brand of football for the consumer.  For some subset of consumers, it will be about an "alternative" to the NFL.

Of course, "survival" and "growth" will depend on many factors....but having inferior talent to the NFL is not nearly as important as offering a competitive league with a strong following of consumers.

Just look at how many soccer leagues do exist/have existed in Europe for so many years....and they keep adding more leagues all the time!

The CFL has the entire country of Canada to market and then you have your die hard college fans from back in the day. That is not the same thing when it comes to the AAF or the XFL. Their gonna be at best a minor league like in comparison to baseball

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The CFL has the entire country of Canada to market and then you have your die hard college fans from back in the day. That is not the same thing when it comes to the AAF or the XFL. Their gonna be at best a minor league like in comparison to baseball

My point is/was, that the players don't have to be "NFL quality" in order for the league(s) to succeed.  See NCAA football.

This is more about available market share, solid business model, and a quality product/competition.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Not comparable to minor league baseball at all.   Minor league baseball does not get fans to watch on TV.   People are not crazy for baseball like they are for football.  

The AAF has a massive pool to market to.   They are not competing with the NFL or college football.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not comparable to minor league baseball at all.   Minor league baseball does not get fans to watch on TV.   People are not crazy for baseball like they are for football.  

The AAF has a massive pool to market to.   They are not competing with the NFL or college football.  

And what massive pool is that?

31 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And what massive pool is that?

49% of Americans are pro football fans.   That is a huge pool.   If they get 10% of them to tune in, they will have succeeded.   That is not even counting many of the college football fans who don't watch pro ball.  Many of them will tune in to see some of their favorite players who didn't make the NFL.   

If there is one sport in this country that can support another league, it is football.   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10350802/poll-indicates-49-percent-americans-pro-football-fans

Just now, Myles said:

49% of Americans are pro football fans.   That is a huge pool.   If they get 10% of them to tune in, they will have succeeded.   That is not even counting many of the college football fans who don't watch pro ball.  Many of them will tune in to see some of their favorite players who didn't make the NFL.   

If there is one sport in this country that can support another league, it is football.   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/10350802/poll-indicates-49-percent-americans-pro-football-fans

And why would 10% of pro football fans tune in to watch a lesser talented form of football? my thing is, I need some thing from these new leagues that I don't get from pro or college football to really be interested to watch.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

That's what it's supposed to be

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And why would 10% of pro football fans tune in to watch a lesser talented form of football? my thing is, I need some thing from these new leagues that I don't get from pro or college football to really be interested to watch.

There are 90 players on the Colts roster.  So many different are 'underdog favorites' of various fans.  When they get cut, they have a league (AAF) for them to develop further with NFL skills.  That gives them another lease on their football career, and a pool  of more developed players for the NFL to draw from when injures mount as necessary.  And, there will be a few elite NFL stars come from that league.  NFL stars that were overlooked dot the history of the NFL. I think of it as the AAA level of the NFL.

Pacific Pro is fewer teams, fewer games, and compete directly against colleges recruiting for players. (from graduated senior from high school to 4 years older)

56 minutes ago, Myles said:

You don’t live in a minor league town because it is big in those areas

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There are 90 players on the Colts roster.  So many different are 'underdog favorites' of various fans.  When they get cut, they have a league (AAF) for them to develop further with NFL skills.  That gives them another lease on their football career, and a pool  of more developed players for the NFL to draw from when injures mount as necessary.  And, there will be a few elite NFL stars come from that league.  NFL stars that were overlooked dot the history of the NFL. I think of it as the AAA level of the NFL.

Pacific Pro is fewer teams, fewer games, and compete directly against colleges recruiting for players. (from graduated senior from high school to 4 years older)

I get the point of what these leagues are for. what im asking is why would someone wanna watch?

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

People who need a football fix or use it as scouting 

The same reason I watch every CDL game I can

I love football as much as the next guy, but I can never get behind watching lesser talent. Basically the reason college football doesn't interest me until draft time

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I love football as much as the next guy, but I can never get behind watching lesser talent. Basically the reason college football doesn't interest me until draft time

I watch everything 

My fall weekends consist of multiple HS games on Friday, College Games on Saturday of every Division and multiple NFL games on Sunday

• Like 3

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

I watch everything 

My fall weekends consist of multiple HS games on Friday, College Games on Saturday of every Division and multiple NFL games on Sunday

That is a lot of love haha 

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I watch everything 

I think my wife would kill me if I did that every weekend. lol

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Come from a coaching family and love live streams

Are you married? I could probably get away with it watching football on Sundays. It's beginning to get harder and harder to watch anything longer than like 30 minutes with my 9 month old. haha 

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Are you married? I could probably get away with it watching football on Sundays. It's beginning to get harder and harder to watch anything longer than like 30 minutes with my 9 month old. haha 

No but I cannot sit more than an hour 

I am also adept at multitasking 

59 minutes ago, CR91 said:

More than 10% of American football fans tune in to watch a "lesser talented form of football" every single week during the fall....

They watch, and are extremely loyal to NCAA football.

Assuming these new leagues do not go head to head with NCAA/NFL, they are very likely to tap into NFL/NCAA fans who are looking for some football in the spring/summer.

Personally, I love this time of year b/c I can begin watching competitive football for the first time since February... it's called CFL and it is very compeetitive and equally entertaining IMO.

42 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I watch everything 

I am an older guy & follow football much like PrincetonTiger.  NEVER ENOUGH football in my like!

As a side note, I am definitely watching LESS NFL and more of "lesser brands of football" over the past 5 yrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

You don’t live in a minor league town because it is big in those areas

I do and I have.   Very few tuned into the minor league baseball games on TV.   It is more an event to go to.   Radio is more the avenue if you cannot go to the games. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Point is, "your thing" in not the only attitude out there. No one is trying to convince you. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

A lot of people follow their Alma Mater, and where their kids go/went to school.  Others like doing their home version of draft scouting from the HD TV's.

2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

More than 10% of American football fans tune in to watch a "lesser talented form of football" every single week during the fall....

They watch, and are extremely loyal to NCAA football.

Indeed.

Assuming these new leagues do not go head to head with NCAA/NFL, they are very likely to tap into NFL/NCAA fans who are looking for some football in the spring/summer.

The only league that is competing for players against the NCAA is the Pacific Pro League. That is exactly their target as a matter of fact.

Personally, I love this time of year b/c I can begin watching competitive football for the first time since February... it's called CFL and it is very compeetitive and equally entertaining IMO.

Different but still very much a football flavor.  They have produced some quality NFL guys too.

• Like 2

By DANIEL RAPAPORT 

January 04, 2018

"Overall NFL ratings for this season dropped by 9.7% compared to last season, according to data released by Nielsen on Thursday. This represents and even bigger slide than the 8% dip in ratings from 2015 to 2016. 

Virtually every noteworthy NFL game program saw its viewership decline. NBC's Sunday Night Football dropped from 20.323 million to 18.175 million, ESPN's Monday Night Football from 11.390 million to 10.757 million and Thursday Night Football (which aired on NFL Network as well as CBS or FOX) from 12.438 million to 10.937 million."

With that being said I never watch CFL and see little hope for the new leagues because how can there be with fewer people following the NFL? The NFL has become a jury room show for rules interpretations and less hard hitting and we all love to see smash mouth football which is being outlawed.