Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris McCain Charged with Misdemeanor Battery

Caleb3502

Details are pretty sketchy, but he allegedly spat on a woman and grabbed her neck. No indication as to who the woman is or the circumstances leading up to it. Doesn't sound like there was any real injury, but charged as a misdemeanor battery none the less. I would expect that the Colts will give this time to get all the facts out before they make any decisions about McCain's future. 

58 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Details are pretty sketchy, but he allegedly spat on a woman and grabbed her neck. No indication as to who the woman is or the circumstances leading up to it. Doesn't sound like there was any real injury, but charged as a misdemeanor battery none the less. I would expect that the Colts will give this time to get all the facts out before they make any decisions about McCain's future. 

I would think a trial would do that.   But many have said that stuff like this takes too long for the judicial system to sort out.

Not picking on you, but in just the way it was said, you're not far off from what many would expect.

Its amazing how low football fans have become.  They expect a team to spend energy and resources determining if a man treated a woman inappropriately to the point where they would have to determine the circumstances behind him touching her in a way that caused no harm.  

Its almost like fans want to hear a bunch of gossip and expect their teams to sort it all out for them.  Weird times for sure.

• Like 1

Meh. Happened Jan 7th and just now being reported/charged. As one with experience in such matters, I would say hold off passing judgment, there's going to be more come to light on this. Just as in the Josh McNary case several years back where the accuser eventually came clean and admitted it was a false charge IIRC

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Meh. Happened Jan 7th and just now being reported/charged. As one with experience in such matters, I would say hold off passing judgment, there's going to be more come to light on this. Just as in the Josh McNary case several years back where the accuser eventually came clean and admitted it was a false charge IIRC

It just happened to Reuben Foster too

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would think a trial would do that.   But many have said that stuff like this takes too long for the judicial system to sort out.

Not picking on you, but in just the way it was said, you're not far off from what many would expect.

Its amazing how low football fans have become.  They expect a team to spend energy and resources determining if a man treated a woman inappropriately to the point where they would have to determine the circumstances behind him touching her in a way that caused no harm.  

Its almost like fans want to hear a bunch of gossip and expect their teams to sort it all out for them.  Weird times for sure.

We're still missing a few details, and I'd like to see those before we convict the guy based on three or four lines in a news story. Did the woman tell the truth, or did she make it all up to get back at him for something? It wouldn't be the first time someone did that. 

• Like 1

A few things for me on this. First and most importantly, we must reserve our feelings and opinions on the charges and the allegation in regard to his character until more is reported. Right now, we know literally next to nothing. He claims he doesn't even know the woman. Secondly, on that same breath, you just don't know with cases like this. He might be cleared completely because it is her word versus his (what it appears to be), but it doesn't mean he isn't guilty of the act, he's just not guilty of the crime from a prosecution standpoint. Lastly, from an operational standpoint in relation to what we are all here for, I would hope that Chris Ballard would be patient and let this play out a bit. If he doesn't, he's setting the precedent that he will cut you at first allegation, and what player in today's social media/hooking up culture wants to run the risk of pissing a girlfriend off that knows she can get him canned with a simple allegation? There is very little risk monetary and even reputation for some of these women versus the risk for these athletes... I don't say that lightly, as my wife would clip my nuts at night if I meant it in a degrading and misogynistic manner. It's just very true.

I know first hand a friend that is involved in the athlete hook up culture. It's amazing how fast some of these guys can send a DM on instagram to a woman they dont know, and get them on a plane to their city for a weekend. AMAZING. It's risky business for these athletes. I hope this isn't a similar situation. Messages don't die and are easy evidence to prove a guy indeed does know a person they "don't know."

McCain says

that he had no knowledge of the incident, had never heard of the alleged victim, and had not been contacted by investigators.

and

McCain also said no investigators have contacted him about the matter.

“No one has contacted me about anything,” he said. “No cops, no one. No one has talked to me.”

and

But McCain told IndyStar he had no knowledge of the incident and was unaware of the case’s existence until news reports surfaced Tuesday. He also said he had never heard of the woman identified as the alleged victim.

“She is lying,” McCain said.

Chargers say

The team extended a “right-of-first-refusal” tender worth $1.9 million to McCain this offseason, signaling their interest in keeping him. However, on April 15 the team surprisingly rescinded the tender, making McCain a free agent.

At the time, coach Anthony Lynn said “the sport does have a business side to it.” McCain signed a one-year, $705,000 deal with the Indianapolis Colts on May 8.

The Chargers wouldn’t say whether the incident led to the team rescinding its tender. However, the organization learned of an allegation before it made the decision.

“We were aware of an alleged incident and alerted the league office at the time,” a team spokesperson said.

it is surprising that the Chargers rescinded their offer

In 15 games with the Chargers last season, McCain recorded five sacks and became the team’s most reliable pass rusher from the edge, outside of Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/la-sp-chargers-mccain-20180605-story.html

Colts say

McCain be arraigned in July 13.  Absolutely nothing is known about the incident other than the above so, he's innocent until proven guilty

The only thing that bothers me right now is the number of men calling women liars because somebody else lied another time.  This happens whenever cases like this happen.

I mean, lots of men have lied as well.  Look at the #MeToo movement

Just sayin

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

We're still missing a few details, and I'd like to see those before we convict the guy based on three or four lines in a news story. Did the woman tell the truth, or did she make it all up to get back at him for something? It wouldn't be the first time someone did that. 

Here's the deal for me.  I don't feel like I should have the details.  I'm not an expert investigator trained to sort them out.  Nobody is, except those professionals.  Since nobody is, that's why the founding fathers created the judicial system to sort it out.  I might want the details for entertainment purposes, but I have no right to make a material decision that might impact another person's livelihood based upon fewer facts than what would be found in a trial. (We're talking about criminal accusations here, not just overall creepiness)

The judicial system can better sort out the facts than 99% of the population, so 99% of the population would not render a better opinion about a person until AFTER any trial takes place.  If there is no trial, then we can assume there isn't enough evidence to support any opinion we would personally render.

It seems like people are satisfied with acting as their own judge and jury on these matters.  I understand the fun of it, but I hope an employer would use the judicial process to establish what is a supportable fact and what isn't before they fire him for it.  

Rendering any opinion about Mr. McCain at this point is simply unfair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

The only thing that bothers me right now is the number of men calling women liars because somebody else lied another time.  This happens whenever cases like this happen.

Just sayin

:agree:

Linked to your comments @Nadine, the issue with things like the outcome of Reuben Foster's case is that it immediately devalues women who do come out and state that they have been abused or, even worse, make them think that they should not even come forward due to the vilification they may receive.

Where found to be lying, there should be consequences for those women as, not only is it a horrible thing to do, that stain will linger on a player forever, whether false or not, as well as the knock-on consequences for women who have actually been abused coming forward.

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Linked to your comments @Nadine, the issue with things like the outcome of Reuben Foster's case is that it immediately devalues women who do come out and state that they have been abused or, even worse, make them think that they should not even come forward due to the vilification they may receive.

Where found to be lying, there should be consequences for those women as, not only is it a horrible thing to do, that stain will linger on a player forever, whether false or not, as well as the knock-on consequences for women who have actually been abused coming forward.

Exactly

26 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

But that's why there are trials.  Trials are based upon the facts and circumstances of an individual event, in which they are all different from each other. 

What you're talking about is the fear that an individual decision is going to impact some greater social opinion and its consequences to every member of the genders.

The next step from that would be to convict a potentially innocent man because not convicting him might inhibit other women in similar situations from speaking up.  That's an unfair burden and task to place on an innocent man...that he has to go to jail not because he's guilty of a crime, but because it sends the proper social message. 

And yes, there are people in the country who believe that some social messages are worth the sacrifice an innocent man would have to bear.  Not them bearing it of course.

Which is why I have a problem with some of the NFLs personal conduct policies.  It seem like they would punish an individual player simply because they think it sends the right message to the fan base and protects its image.  A potentially innocent man has to lose his livelihood simply because of a charge brought towards him and the NFL reacts to quickly before the valid facts are sorted out and vetted in an objective trial.

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It just happened to Reuben Foster too

I have a feeling the epiphany that the Reuben Foster accuser had, was more about him losing his career, future earnings and freedom and less about how she faked actual injuries and made everything up.

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

Just sayin

I don't see anyone saying women are liars.  What I see is people saying to wait until all the facts come out and not passing judgement at this time. I find it odd that allegedly not one investigator contacted him or his attorney. As one with investigatory experience, I find trouble with his allegations there.  It would be a rare, potentially mistake filled filing by the prosecutor without having some sort of interview with him or attempt to interview him on file.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Yeah, if you get a speeding ticket that misdemeanor so not much of a story to me.  

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don't see anyone saying women are liars.  What I see is people saying to wait until all the facts come out and not passing judgement at this time. I find it odd that allegedly not one investigator contacted him or his attorney. As one with investigatory experience, I find trouble with his allegations there.  It would be a rare, potentially mistake filled filing by the prosecutor without having some sort of interview with him or attempt to interview him on file.

Scroll up. My impression is also from some of the comments on the colts tweet.

As far as the whether or not the LA process was odd, I can't speak to that

7 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Scroll up. My impression is also from some of the comments on the colts tweet.

As far as the whether or not the LA process was odd, I can't speak to that

i dont have twitter so I cant read the tweets nor do i care enough too haha 

All I see is people talking about past incidents where a FEW women HAVE LIED.  That does not in any shape imply that all women are liars or make up alleged incidents.  Quite the contrary. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

i dont have twitter so I cant read the tweets nor do i care enough too haha 

All I see is people talking about past incidents where a FEW women HAVE LIED.  That does not in any shape imply that all women are liars or make up alleged incidents.  Quite the contrary. 

I see

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

But that's why there are trials.  Trials are based upon the facts and circumstances of an individual event, in which they are all different from each other. 

What you're talking about is the fear that an individual decision is going to impact some greater social opinion and its consequences to every member of the genders.

The next step from that would be to convict a potentially innocent man because not convicting him might inhibit other women in similar situations from speaking up.  That's an unfair burden and task to place on an innocent man...that he has to go to jail not because he's guilty of a crime, but because it sends the proper social message. 

And yes, there are people in the country who believe that some social messages are worth the sacrifice an innocent man would have to bear.  Not them bearing it of course.

Which is why I have a problem with some of the NFLs personal conduct policies.  It seem like they would punish an individual player simply because they think it sends the right message to the fan base and protects its image.  A potentially innocent man has to lose his livelihood simply because of a charge brought towards him and the NFL reacts to quickly before the valid facts are sorted out and vetted in an objective trial.

I mean, I don't know where you link back to what I said at any point in this ramble.

My two points were that any individual who comes forward with a lie about abuse in a high profile case hurts the chances of any future individual coming forward and being taken seriously, in a high profile case or otherwise.  The second point was that anyone who does this should face consequences.

You mention that the answer to this is trials, but a large majority of these cases never get to trial (either due to recanting of the story or a payoff), but the player is left with a black mark against their name, potentially through no fault of his own, and other women are scared to come forward as they may be tarred with a similar brush. 

To then suggest that the next step from my points is innocent men going to jail is, to put it incredibly kindly, unreasonable.

51 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I mean, I don't know where you link back to what I said at any point in this ramble.

My two points were that any individual who comes forward with a lie about abuse in a high profile case hurts the chances of any future individual coming forward and being taken seriously, in a high profile case or otherwise.  The second point was that anyone who does this should face consequences.

You mention that the answer to this is trials, but a large majority of these cases never get to trial (either due to recanting of the story or a payoff), but the player is left with a black mark against their name, potentially through no fault of his own, and other women are scared to come forward as they may be tarred with a similar brush. 

To then suggest that the next step from my points is innocent men going to jail is, to put it incredibly kindly, unreasonable.

Probably misunderstood some of what you are saying. And not challenging directly, but adding the next step.

My main point was that the concern you present in the bolded COULD be considered by advocates as a reason to not be fair to Mr. McCain.  That the greater cause of not inhibiting women in any way is worth the sacrifice of one person.   

Maybe this is why San Diego retracted their offer to him to keep him there....  there may have been some smoke in the air and they wanted to stay clear.  Not sure he makes the team either way, but this doesn't help....  Colts don't need ANY distractions.....they have enough in Luck.