Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eagles not going to whitehouse

Nesjan3

16 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Who cares? We should take politics out of sports anyways. 

Make sure you also tell the politicians to take sports out of politics!  And Wall Street out of politics!  And politics out of Wall Street!  And to get the politics out of Hollywood productions!  And the Hollywood productions out of politics!

But that might require a little Campaign Finance Reform.  The Kryptonite of every elected official ever.  No better way to get swatted out of government work than to mention CFR..

You do understand that capitalism has taken over our "democracy" right?  The only thing that matters in todays America is :cash:  As long as the NFL is a cashcow, just like any other American Cashcow, Uncle Sam will take his pound of flesh, and shove the politics of it in our face while doing so...  Left/Right Democrat/Republican Conservative/Liberal...  It doesn't matter.

Unless you're a hermit living off-the-grid without electricity and internet, then politicians won't LET you ignore politics in todays society.

:P

In a broad brushed way, each side in this case has their own version of protesting what the other side stands for, but the amateur political pundits will try to blame one side as the sole cause of the problem. 

As if one side is entitled to having a monopoly on protesting.

• Like 1

Like my views in the "Anthem" thread", why don't we just end this particular "tradition" as it's original intent has been lost in the world of "politics" and the White House visit has just become another divisive tradition in our country. 

It's purposed has been defeated by politics.

• Like 1

Despite what the NFL has tried this issue is not going away and Trump fans the flames as he good at one thing only, polarizing the country. He believes he is greater than our constitution. Perhaps a players strike is in order. Time will tell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I think the issue of kneeling for the anthem is probably going away ...King..

…..Because it wont happen this year…..at least not on the field

I want to see players get involved in issues of social justice and community welfare in general (many already are) but I dont think symbolic protests or the lack of such protests at NFL games affects that effort in any way.

No one can take away the players right to make real moves for change.

Kneeling really has nothing to do with that.

The NFL clearly supports players activism...(they help fund it) just not player protests at games.

Activism and protest are two different things.

This was not about the protest over the National Athem, This is about some individuals dislike for President Trump and his policy. I applaud the team for not kneeling last year.  President Trump has made it perfectly clear if a person or persons on a team do not want to attend a celebration at the White House the entire team would be disinvited. Its sad when some individuals  cannot put their difference aside for one day so that others who wanted to go were able to go.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Make sure you also tell the politicians to take sports out of politics!  And Wall Street out of politics!  And politics out of Wall Street!  And to get the politics out of Hollywood productions!  And the Hollywood productions out of politics!

But that might require a little Campaign Finance Reform.  The Kryptonite of every elected official ever.  No better way to get swatted out of government work than to mention CFR..

You do understand that capitalism has taken over our "democracy" right?  The only thing that matters in todays America is :cash:  As long as the NFL is a cashcow, just like any other American Cashcow, Uncle Sam will take his pound of flesh, and shove the politics of it in our face while doing so...  Left/Right Democrat/Republican Conservative/Liberal...  It doesn't matter.

Unless you're a hermit living off-the-grid without electricity and internet, then politicians won't LET you ignore politics in todays society.

Actually, what is happening more so these days is that sports teams and individual athletes themselves are interjecting politics into sports rather than politicians injecting politics into sports. 

Not to mention, a huge driver of this is the sports media, who sees $$$$$$$ in taking advantage of the heat political debates can generate.  Political conflict has become a new cash cow for the media.

Political divisiveness has gone on forever.  Its nothing new. There used to be a saying that warned against discussing politics (or religion) at the Thanksgiving table.  They are simply too divisive subjects.   Don't blame the current atmosphere.  Politics have always been divisive.

What's new these days is that athletes and sports media interject politics into their product in order to increase attention. (and they are very bad at understanding politics and issues BTW, so the discussions are actually quite comical, often just a repeating of popular cliches)

Also, many social causes will use the visibility of the NFL to carry their message, if they can find a way to bully or extort it into doing it.  The NFL seems unable to stand up to this tactic when race or gender is involved.  Its sad really.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You do understand that capitalism has taken over our "democracy" right? 

Given that this is a football forum and you're a Colts fan, I'll spare you the ten point lecture on how stupid this is, but damn, it's not even close.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Don't worry, they're doing their hardest to make sure you can't do that either. 

2 hours ago, Archangel said:

This was not about the protest over the National Athem, This is about some individuals dislike for President Trump and his policy. I applaud the team for not kneeling last year.  President Trump has made it perfectly clear if a person or persons on a team do not want to attend a celebration at the White House the entire team would be disinvited. Its sad when some individuals  cannot put their difference aside for one day so that others who wanted to go were able to go.

He's a baby, it's as simple as that...he can't help but make it about him and he didn't want to look bad by having a smaller crowd there. His obsession with crowd size and how he thinks it reflects on him is well-documented. Regardless of how people feel about him and his policies, there is no denying that this issue is about him, not the team. Players from previous championship teams have elected not to go in the past, whether a democrat or republican was in office, and it's never been a big deal.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Given that this is a football forum and you're a Colts fan, I'll spare you the ten point lecture on how stupid this is, but damn, it's not even close.

16 minutes ago, Nadine said:

condescending posts are baiting

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Capitalism isn't a political system..

Sorry if I was being condescending.

I know capitalism isn't a political system.  But I think it does have a larger negative impact on our political system than some want to admit.  When some politicians are basically bought and paid for by the uber-rich, it starts to undermine the intent of a true democracy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

He's a baby, it's as simple as that...he can't help but make it about him and he didn't want to look bad by having a smaller crowd there. Regardless of how people feel about him and his policies, there is no denying that this issue is about him, not the team. Players from previous championship teams have elected not to go in the past, whether a democrat or republican was in office, and it's never been a big deal.

This is different. What we have here is almost the entire team not going. The Eagles were going to send just 5 or less players. At that number, if I were Trump, I would have backed out too. It's not worth the President's time for just that many players.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Oh well. it's their loss.  They are the ones who will not have the memories to tell their kids and grand kids about.

9 hours ago, Bshultz said:

Actually President Trump disinvited them. 

Let's get the story straight.

The eagles were only sending a few players to the event, rather than the whole (or even majority of) team.

Therefore the whitehouse cancelled the event. 

So it's not that the whole team decided not to go or that trump said they couldn't come. You don't spend that amount of money and waste that amount of time if there is no point.

Let's put it this way: I'm planning a ball for 400 people, if we don't get at least half then we aren't hosting it due to the cost of revenue, food reservations, etc.

6 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

This is different. What we have here is almost the entire team not going. The Eagles were going to send just 5 or less players. At that number, if I were Trump, I would have backed out too. It's not worth the President's time for just that many players.

Then just don't make a big show of it and let those who are interested come and enjoy it. Instead, he's trying to use the situation as propaganda to make it seem like something it's not. 

I'm sure he could have spared an hour out of his very busy day of watching FoxNews and complaining about the media to give the players a tour of the white house. This has everything to do with him...not the other way around. He is still spending the time letting people come to 'celebrate the flag' or whatever they're calling it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dynasty13 said:

Then just don't make a big show of it and let those who are interested come and enjoy it. Instead, he's trying to use the situation as propaganda to make it seem like something it's not. 

I'm sure he could have spared an hour out of his very busy day of watching FoxNews and complaining about the media to give the players a tour of the white house. This has everything to do with him...not the other way around. He is still spending the time letting people come to 'celebrate the flag' or whatever they're calling it.

It's not like that.

Idk if you realize, but the cost of the event does not change with the size of the team. The cost of security alone will be just as high for 5 as it would be 53. It's financially sound or smart. Let alone a complete waste of time and a means of the team using it as a political tool than a celebration of their accomplishment. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

It's not like that.

Idk if you realize, but the cost of the event does not change with the size of the team. The cost of security alone will be just as high for 5 as it would be 53. It's financially sound or smart. Let alone a complete waste of time and a means of the team using it as a political tool than a celebration of their accomplishment. 

There is still an event

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Sorry if I was being condescending.

I know capitalism isn't a political system.  But I think it does have a larger negative impact on our political system than some want to admit.  When some politicians are basically bought and paid for by the uber-rich, it starts to undermine the intent of a true democracy.

Capitalism isn't the uber rich in sum total and it doesn't force anyone's hand at the ballot box (in the most direct sense).

Capitalism is why we have jobs, transportation, modern housing, medicine, food in abundance ect. When the collective "we" go and vote for someone, there's a system of hierarchies that our leaders more often than not pass through to become elected leaders. That they possess wealth (sometimes, Bernie Sanders wasn't wealthy UNTIL he got to Congress-which speaks volumes about when and how a majority of politicians get theirs) or not doesn't bind anyone subverting the nature of our "true democracy".  There's lot's of people to pick and choose from. The issue with our democracy has less to do with money and more to do with the quality of information people use when they go to vote. A big red flag for me is when people complain about "Capitalism". People are surrounded with opportunity and wealth and all those people can do is think "that's not fair" and when they start voting that way is when we start to get into the true undermining of the intent of our democracy (that's not a democracy, it's a Constitutional Republic..). Equal Opportunities, not equal outcomes.

• Thanks 1

Can Trump then also cancel the $10mil contract with the NFL and US Military to have the players come out for the Anthem?

Otherwise, Ive no issues with players using their positions to raise awareness of Political issues. They've helped enact changes which frankly society needed.

Its like watching Pagano's gameplan in the 4th quarter this last year when it comes to politics injecting themselves into sports (vs players injecting it): Utterly predictable on every spectrum.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Reportedly, no Eagles players took a knee during the national anthem in 2017

Boom!    THIS!!!!

OUM is the only poster to get this correctly.    No Philadelphia Eagles player took a knee for the anthem last year.    The White House assertion that this was in protest over the anthem issue is false.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheMarine said:

Can Trump then also cancel the $10mil contract with the NFL and US Military to have the players come out for the Anthem?

Otherwise, Ive no issues with players using their positions to raise awareness of Political issues. They've helped enact changes which frankly society needed.

Its like watching Pagano's gameplan in the 4th quarter this last year when it comes to politics injecting themselves into sports (vs players injecting it): Utterly predictable on every spectrum.

Politics has always been a part of sports 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Boom!    THIS!!!!

OUM us the only poster to toe thus correctly.    No Philadelphia Eagles player took a knee for the anthem last year.    The White House assertion that this was in protest over the anthem issue is false.

Nicely put

30 minutes ago, Nadine said:

There is still an event

So they should spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for 5 guys instead of 53?

Umm, no. That's not practical. Like I said you have to weigh the cost/benefits, and cost far outweighs the benefit.

Look at my example about the ball.

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Capitalism isn't the uber rich in sum total and it doesn't force anyone's hand at the ballot box (in the most direct sense).

Capitalism is why we have jobs, transportation, modern housing, medicine, food in abundance ect. When the collective "we" go and vote for someone, there's a system of hierarchies that our leaders more often than not pass through to become elected leaders. That they possess wealth (sometimes, Bernie Sanders wasn't wealthy UNTIL he got to Congress-which speaks volumes about when and how a majority of politicians get theirs) or not doesn't bind anyone subverting the nature of our "true democracy".  There's lot's of people to pick and choose from. The issue with our democracy has less to do with money and more to do with the quality of information people use when they go to vote. A big red flag for me is when people complain about "Capitalism". People are surrounded with opportunity and wealth and all those people can do is think "that's not fair" and when they start voting that way is when we start to get into the true undermining of the intent of our democracy (that's not a democracy, it's a Constitutional Republic..). Equal Opportunities, not equal outcomes.

I never said capitalism itself is bad.  I just said its influence on politics seems problematic.

I don't think capitalism is the problem, I think how money and politics are being mixed is the problem, just like your Bernie Sanders example.

That's why the main point of my original post was about campaign finance reform, not switching to communism or something crazy like that.

:shake:

• Like 1