Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great article on hines and wilkins

CR91

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Are we gonna carry 3 or 4 RBs on active roster?

with depth needs everywhere, especially OL, CB, LB, etc, where do we risk depth?  Maybe Hines can double as kick return.  But does that then affect WR depth?

We'll probably keep 4 RB's on the depth chart. Mack, Hines, and Wilkins are probably locks, then Turbin is valuable for being a goal line back, which Reich will find valuable. I find it hard to see any other combination of players at RB. This one seems cut and dry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We'll probably keep 4 RB's on the depth chart. Mack, Hines, and Wilkins are probably locks, then Turbin is valuable for being a goal line back, which Reich will find valuable. I find it hard to see any other combination of players at RB. This one seems cut and dry.

Thats what i think, but cuts are gonna be brutal.

you think 5 receivers?

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I wouldn’t count Wilkins as a lock just yet.  He was never good a pass protection in college, that’s essential now.  I don’t know if he’s as good as Michael, we’ll see.  I think Turbin is needed for power and veteran presence.  

I have high hopes for Hines, but I thought Ferguson had potential in that role too.  New coach, better scheme should take advantage of what he can do.  But, as we all know, everyone in the NFL is fast.  He has to show elusiveness and a little power, which I think he has.  

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats what i think, but cuts are gonna be brutal.

you think 5 receivers?

I think Hilton, Grant, Rogers, Cain and Fountain definitely make it. Ishmael will depend on his showing in training camp. I think he could go either way. It's 50/50 to me whether he makes or not and it's 5 or 6 receivers.

12 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wouldn’t count Wilkins as a lock just yet.  He was never good a pass protection in college, that’s essential now.  I don’t know if he’s as good as Michael, we’ll see.  I think Turbin is needed for power and veteran presence.  

I have high hopes for Hines, but I thought Ferguson had potential in that role too.  New coach, better scheme should take advantage of what he can do.  But, as we all know, everyone in the NFL is fast.  He has to show elusiveness and a little power, which I think he has.  

U think Wilkins would be safe on practice squad.  If so, it might be a good move.  We could carry an extra QB for a few weeks just in case,  or a CB, OL, LB, etc.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think Hilton, Grant, Rogers, Cain and Fountain definitely make it. Ishmael will depend on his showing in training camp. I think he could go either way. It's 50/50 to me whether he makes or not and it's 5 or 6 receivers.

Sounds about right, unless someone surprises i guess.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

U think Wilkins would be safe on practice squad.  If so, it might be a good move.  We could carry an extra QB for a few weeks just in case,  or a CB, OL, LB, etc.

Yeah, he’d be safe. Teams aren’t exactly fighting over late round rookie RBs.  He’ll have to show he’s better than Michael and great on STs to make the team.  He’s got fresh legs going for him.  

Assuming Luck is 100% and JB is healthy, I can’t see why we’d carry 3 QBs.  One on the PS for sure.  I think Reich is more interested in having a bunch of D linemen to swap in and out.  I’ll be interested to see if Hooker starts out on the PuP.

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He was never good a pass protection in college

He graded out from PFF as #4 RB in the draft for Pass Pro.

Whatever that means, I'm not a PFF follower, but saw a tweet about this shortly after the pick.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Whatever that means, I'm not a PFF follower, but saw a tweet about this shortly after the pick.

Thats funny.  Watch a few of his games, he seems a little lost out there.  That’s also one of his negatives on every draft analysis.  Hopefully he’s coachable.  

I wonder how they graded Mack.  We know it wasn’t his strong suit last season.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Thats funny.  Watch a few of his games, he seems a little lost out there.  That’s also one of his negatives on every draft analysis.  Hopefully he’s coachable.  

I wonder how they graded Mack.  We know it wasn’t his strong suit last season.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-marlon-mack-rb-south-florida

"Limited experience in pass pro in recent seasons."

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, he’d be safe. Teams aren’t exactly fighting over late round rookie RBs.  He’ll have to show he’s better than Michael and great on STs to make the team.  He’s got fresh legs going for him.  

Assuming Luck is 100% and JB is healthy, I can’t see why we’d carry 3 QBs.  One on the PS for sure.  I think Reich is more interested in having a bunch of D linemen to swap in and out.  I’ll be interested to see if Hooker starts out on the PuP.

I think Wilkins will make it but I'm like you in saying hes no lock. Michael is a veteran running back with good size, speed and a good skill set. Wilkins wont just walk in and outperform him. We dont know what he looks like on this level yet. We all thought Josh Robinson a couple years ago was going to come in and set things on fire and it didnt go that way. Now he's out of the league. I think Wilkins has the tools to get it done but I do think Michael is going to challenge him certainly. I dont think you can at this point pencil him in as beating out Michael guaranteed.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:28 AM, w87r said:

I saw him pass pro and his vision to pick up blitzes from spots other than where he’s standing didn’t seem very good to me. At the next level, I’m sure he can be coached up, but it needs work. Other than that, I’m a huge Wilkins enthusiast

Wilkins is such an interesting player.  I really knew nothing about him prior to the Draft. Playing for a terrible team will do that. But this guy has some genuine skills. He can see the hole and hit it quickly. He can block. He can catch. Yes, he probably runs a bit high at times, but watch his film, and you'll see he can squeeze through some tight holes and find daylight. He can make himself smaller when required. My best comparison to past RBs is Marcus Allen. Smooth, great vision, surprising burst. Now, I'm not suggesting they are the same. Just similar styles. 

I think he's going to stick and be a key player for the Colts. Great pick. 

8 hours ago, Savage said:

Hines can easily be our #1 with the amount of skill that kid possesses. Wilkins gives us something different and if Mack, Hines, and Wilkins, were our day one starters, I would be completely okay with that. I seriously can't wait for Pre Season.

The way I see it, Mack will get 10-15 carries a game, hines will get 15-20 touches a game(carries,catches,returns), wilkins will get 5-7 carries a game, and turbin will do all the dirty work in short yardage

On 5/27/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

Grant is on a 1-year deal. He’s not a lock to make the roster. We thought Spence was last year because he was a veteran and got a bonus, but he didn’t even make the final 53.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Grant is on a 1-year deal. He’s not a lock to make the roster. We thought Spence was last year because he was a veteran and got a bonus, but he didn’t even make the final 53.

What does that have to do with his ability to make the team?  His statement is based on his ability to perfom.  I'm sure Spence would have made it as well had he performed.   Jared just feels he will play good enough to make it based on his ability.   I do as well.  You must not be all that high on him I assume...

On 5/27/2018 at 7:21 AM, WoolMagnet said:

Are we gonna carry 3 or 4 RBs on active roster?

with depth needs everywhere, especially OL, CB, LB, etc, where do we risk depth?  Maybe Hines can double as kick return.  But does that then affect WR depth?

3 or 4 RB's is not an unusual number.  That's actually fairly standard.