Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My theory on luck situation.

Trace Pyott

I'm no doctor but my theory on the luck situation is this and I'm going to try my best at 4 am to explain this so bear with me lol. I think they are going to work luck out and gain as much strength and work on his throwing motion as much as possible and just see what happens when training camp comes.

Basically it's like a town that's under siege with low supplies and they know they might get conquered but they at least are building moates and defenses as much as they can until the day comes that they are under attack. They know it might not work but they know it's their only hope and chance so they are going to do whatever they can do. My  fear is they aren't too confident in luck and they are thinking ok, he has had enough time to recover let's build him up and do what we can and he's got until training camp starts, and if all that stuff has worked then great but we will not let him throw a real football until then. I think he may be ok to throw real balls now but they are just squeezing as much prep work in there as they possibly can that way when the time comes for him to throw they have exhausted all efforts and they will know one way or another definitely if he will play again. 

Sorry again if this is a jumbled mess. I'm sleepy but can't sleep and figured I would write what I think is happening. I may be wrong and mostly likely am but it's just what my gut says.  Do you guys feel that this what they are doing with him? 

Imo.  He is now using Tom House, the best in the business at what he does, and he is following his protocol to the letter.  There is confidence now on all sides that Luck will be fine and that's why reports say Ballard and Reich are not worried.  They are building everything back from the ground up...kind of like a strong foundation.  They are bragging on Brissett because he did a good job last year, is the lead QB in OTAs currently and they think he will be a great backup until another team is willing to make a great deal for him.  

• Like 4

I've been waiting for someone to do the research and explain the situation because it's not an easy explanation (and I do not post much), so here goes.  First, I'm not a sports medicine physician, physical therapist, or athletic trainer.  These are the experts.  I have worked with injured athletes including labral injuries/surgeries.  As others have said, this is a different situation compared to last year.  Last year Luck had a limited time to heal and rehabilitation.  As he said, he skipped steps to try to be ready.  That works for some athletes (M. Hooker), not for others. Labral injuries and return to play are difficult to predict. My understanding is that Luck could easily through a regulation football now if needed (a few reps).  He's been through range of motion exercises, manual muscle tests, and isokinetic testing (and IK exercises that mimic the throwing motion). Some of these exercises are much more difficult than actually throwing a football.  He doesn't need to be ready until training camp so why force the issue.  He needs to have his throwing repetitions at a high level to make all the throws during TC.  He will still be on a "pitch count" during TC just like Caldwell did with Manning (and what most coaches do in TC, with their starting  QBs).  That's the reason for extra quarterbacks in TC.  Some take this as a problem or issue with his shoulder.  It's not a problem...except for fans that do not know the process and think the worse. Luck will be ready for training camp because that is the time table.  Yes, he could develop a problem, but given the thoroughness of the rehab process that is not likely.  It's more likely he would have some other type of issue or injury that's not related to his throwing motion.   This is the reason for optimistic outlook in the Colt's organization.   I'm not silly enough to think that this will put the issue to bed, or sports journalist will not continue to question Lucks return to action.... But I do hope it answers most of the questions.  Sorry for the long post......

• Like 8

Why do we need a ‘theory’?  We have facts.  

Luck is strengthening his arm/shoulder/body while reinforcing correct throwing motions.

The timetable is fluid and the steps are on a need to know basis.  

Am I missing something?

• Like 3

As seen from last year you can force and power throug rehab. Trust me I do it all the time and end up reinjuring or with more injuries. There's a drive to get you back in the game or lifting that I can't explain. But you'll never heal till your mind to shut the hell up and listen to your body. Even though he can throw a football now doesn't mean he needs to. Takes patience and time. Usually what I lack lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

More gibberish talk from them. Who knows when luck will be in a game again.

I'm sure some or most of you will disagree with this but I do think if Luck isn't ready by camp then we need to roll with Brissett and move on he will be two years removed from that surgery in January and my theory is if he isn't ready to roll by camp he never will be.

• Like 2

It’s pretty much everyday someone has a new terrible theory on luck. It’s exhausting. Can’t we just be optimistic, especially considering he’s had zero setbacks this time around and his shoulder is holding up throwing balls heavier than a regulation football. It’s also held up to his weight training program. Luck will be fine. 

The actual people involved are saying he will be fine and looks great. (Physically and mentally) 

I think they know more than anyone on this forum. 

Trust me when say this. Luck is throwing. He has restrictions though. The last headline I seen was “Luck isn’t throwing without restrictions”. I also believe their not advertising it. Reggie isn’t in this building just helping the receiver group. 

• Like 1

I'm giving Luck this year and that's it. I think he'll be fine only because we traded down in the draft and didn't take a QB. That's the ONLY reason the FO has any credit with me at this point about Luck. I don't think they'd sabotage the team just to push the narrative a 2nd time, especially when we had such a high draft pick. Right now, though, it's too early to tell from our point of view whether Luck will be ready for the start of the season or not. One negative thing about science and medicine is that it affects everyone's body differently. Luck may be on the poor side of it with his injury. 

Giving the FO the benefit of the doubt with Luck's injury right now. However, if they miscalculated his recovery a 2nd time, and didn't draft a QB either to replace him and he doesn't play this season. I'm not watching this year. Brissett is a good backup, but last year was absolutely brutal, and even a new coaching staff won't make this a winning team with Brissett at QB. We need Luck back, or the season is a lost cause. Don't care what Ballard and Reich say about it not being about one man. It's a QB driven league. It was about Peyton and it's about Luck. That quote is just ridiculous.

• Like 3

I'm not that worried at the moment, but I'm also a patient optimist.

Que @P'Son and @throwing BBZ :

"Luck is done, you're all blind, quit drinking the kool aid" ... or something like that...   haha

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not watching this year.

I didn't need Peyton Manning to watch the Colts, and I don't need Andrew Luck to watch the Colts.  Being a fan of a losing team isn't always fun, but part of being a fan is rooting for your team even when they are 4-12 or 2-14.  :dunno:

Go Colts!

:coltshelmet:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm not that worried at the moment, but I'm also a patient optimist.

Que @P'Son and @throwing BBZ :

"Luck is done, you're all blind, quit drinking the kool aid" ... or something like that...   haha

I didn't need Peyton Manning to watch the Colts, and I don't need Andrew Luck to watch the Colts.  Being a fan of a losing team isn't always fun, but part of being a fan is rooting for your team even when they are 4-12 or 2-14.  :dunno:

Go Colts!

:coltshelmet:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I love watching this team. What would frustrate me is if we had a chance to take Sam Darnold if Luck's injury was beyond repair at 3 and we didn't. I'm willing to give until the start of the season to see if Luck returns and plays, but I'm not going to get lied to again by Irsay. It's also not very fun seeing all our new draft picks without Luck playing with them.

Brissett is basically a Blake Bortles skill level guy. If he was on the Jags, he'd take them as far as Bortles did. We don't have anywhere near the team around him that Bortles had though. It'll take a few drafts of hitting on almost every player to come to that level. Luck has to close that gap. 

We can't afford to have miscalculated Luck's injury a 2nd time, especially when the draft is over and we had a high pick. Next year's QB class isn't nearly as good either. At least the selection was diverse this year with the QB's, even if none are Luck like. Next year pales in comparision.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Luck is strengthening his arm/shoulder/body while reinforcing correct throwing motions.

Am I missing something?

Exactly, no more needs to be said.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I'm no doctor but my theory on the luck situation is this and I'm going to try my best at 4 am to explain this so bear with me lol. I think they are going to work luck out and gain as much strength and work on his throwing motion as much as possible and just see what happens when training camp comes.

Basically it's like a town that's under siege with low supplies and they know they might get conquered but they at least are building moates and defenses as much as they can until the day comes that they are under attack. They know it might not work but they know it's their only hope and chance so they are going to do whatever they can do. My  fear is they aren't too confident in luck and they are thinking ok, he has had enough time to recover let's build him up and do what we can and he's got until training camp starts, and if all that stuff has worked then great but we will not let him throw a real football until then. I think he may be ok to throw real balls now but they are just squeezing as much prep work in there as they possibly can that way when the time comes for him to throw they have exhausted all efforts and they will know one way or another definitely if he will play again. 

Sorry again if this is a jumbled mess. I'm sleepy but can't sleep and figured I would write what I think is happening. I may be wrong and mostly likely am but it's just what my gut says.  Do you guys feel that this what they are doing with him? 

I think this was an episode of Game of Thrones.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Am I missing something?

Are you missing something?    Well, yes.

The goal posts have been moved.

Recently, there was a thread where stitches inserted a large number of quotes and tweets from the Colts about Luck.  This dated back to roughly the start of January.

It was noted that Reich HAD SAID that he was confident Luck would be throwing by OTAs and practices in May.   But this week Reich was asked about that and he NOW SAYS Luck will likely start throwing AFTER camp ends and summer break starts.    That Luck will use the roughly 40 days of summer to build up strength and should be ready to go come training camp.

It's not a huge change, but it IS a change and it might be a sign that things aren't going quite as step by step perfect as we're all hoping for.

So the goal posts have been moved...   at least a little...    and Reichs new quote has been picked up and that's why there's been some media buzz this week.   Others noticed that too.

48 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Exactly, no more needs to be said.

Actually, no.   That's incorrect.   Keep reading in this thread.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Trust me when say this. Luck is throwing. He has restrictions though. The last headline I seen was “Luck isn’t throwing without restrictions”. I also believe their not advertising it. Reggie isn’t in this building just helping the receiver group. 

Is Reggie parking cars at the facility too?

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Recently, there was a thread where stitches inserted a large number of quotes and tweets from the Colts about Luck.  This dated back to roughly the start of January.

It was noted that Reich HAD SAID that he was confident Luck would be throwing by OTAs and practices in May.   But this week Reich was asked about that and he NOW SAYS Luck will likely start throwing AFTER camp ends and summer break starts.    That Luck will use the roughly 40 days of summer to build up strength and should be ready to go come training camp.

It's not a huge change, but it IS a change and it might be a sign that things aren't going quite as step by step perfect as we're all hoping for.

So the goal posts have been moved...   at least a little...    and Reichs new quote has been picked up and that's why there's been some media buzz this week.   Others noticed that too.

good post/clarification

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As I said, the timetable is fluid and the steps are only known to a select few.  

The rest is moot.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I love watching this team. What would frustrate me is if we had a chance to take Sam Darnold if Luck's injury was beyond repair at 3 and we didn't. I'm willing to give until the start of the season to see if Luck returns and plays, but I'm not going to get lied to again by Irsay. It's also not very fun seeing all our new draft picks without Luck playing with them.

Brissett is basically a Blake Bortles skill level guy. If he was on the Jags, he'd take them as far as Bortles did. We don't have anywhere near the team around him that Bortles had though. It'll take a few drafts of hitting on almost every player to come to that level. Luck has to close that gap. 

We can't afford to have miscalculated Luck's injury a 2nd time, especially when the draft is over and we had a high pick. Next year's QB class isn't nearly as good either. At least the selection was diverse this year with the QB's, even if none are Luck like. Next year pales in comparision.

What if Sam Darnold turns out to be average, Luck comes back, gets reinjured  because we have a subpar LG, we’re stuck Darnold and Nelson becomes the reason a team other than us goes to the playoffs?Your play it safe pick backfires and sets our team back a few years or more.  Everything is a gamble.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

As I said, the timetable is fluid and the steps are only known to a select few.  

The rest is moot.

I think if you think nothing has changed...   that things today are the same as they were a month ago....    then you're kidding yourself.

Look...   Luck might still be ready week one vs Cincinnati.   Or he might not.   But he appears to be behind the schedule that Reich publicly spoke of roughly a month ago.   Again...   Doesn't mean Luck can't go on to have a very good year.    But this appears to be a small step back.   Not something you'd want to happen.

But at least it should be in our radar...  that things seem to have changed.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you think nothing has changed...   that things today are the same as they were a month ago....    then you're kidding yourself.

Look...   Luck might still be ready week one vs Cincinnati.   Or he might not.   But he appears to be behind the schedule that Reich publicly spoke of roughly a month ago.   Again...   Doesn't mean Luck can't go on to have a very good year.    But this appears to be a small step back.   Not something you'd want to happen.

I thought they indicated that he’d be throwing ‘soon’ when he returned from the Netherlands. Either they are just being overly cautious or something happened. 

• Like 1

Here is the quote from Frank Reich in late February about Luck throwing at the OTA's-

“You know what? I’m hopeful that maybe that could happen,” Reich said, via Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star. “I’m hopeful, yeah. I know it sounds odd, but I’m not demanding an answer on that. I’m not, ‘Hey, someone tell me, is he ready?’ I hope he’s there, but we’ll go on if he’s not. I’m optimistic, and I’m hopeful, but honestly that’s not the forefront question on my mind every day coming to work.”

Now we get this-

Andrew Luck hopes to be 100 percent ready to go by the start of training camp. (Late July)

We learned last year about hope, it is not a guarantee by any stretch.

Here are the latest Frank Reich statements-

Can't cut things short. There’s no reason to cut things short. It’s a day-by-day process and evaluation and (we’re) just staying trusting in that.  I’m completely comfortable with him throwing when he’s ready, when the doctors say he’s ready,’’ Reich said. “He’s totally engaged in every aspect of what we’re doing mentally. The physical part for a guy like him, you’ve got to work at it, but I’m not worried about that."

So, there are doctors still involved here and they apparently haven't given the green light... and the team won't cut things short. So we still have some doubt about the timeline. That's why it is being talked about again.

I'm really not sure they addressed the root cause of the labrum tear (at least initially), just fixed the labrum.  I respond with my thoughts here to Superman-

http://forums.colts.com/topic/58262-charlie-casserly-report-luck-to-be-full-go-for-training-camp/?do=findComment&comment=1728972

I remain cautiously optimistic.  But I was last year too and was let down.  I hope it doesn't happen again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Am I missing something?

Nope

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Here is the quote from Frank Reich in late February about Luck throwing at the OTA's-

“You know what? I’m hopeful that maybe that could happen,” Reich said, via Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star. “I’m hopeful, yeah. I know it sounds odd, but I’m not demanding an answer on that. I’m not, ‘Hey, someone tell me, is he ready?’ I hope he’s there, but we’ll go on if he’s not. I’m optimistic, and I’m hopeful, but honestly that’s not the forefront question on my mind every day coming to work.”

Now we get this-

Andrew Luck hopes to be 100 percent ready to go by the start of training camp. (Late July)

We learned last year about hope, it is not a guarantee by any stretch.

Here are the latest Frank Reich statements-

Can't cut things short. There’s no reason to cut things short. It’s a day-by-day process and evaluation and (we’re) just staying trusting in that.  I’m completely comfortable with him throwing when he’s ready, when the doctors say he’s ready,’’ Reich said. “He’s totally engaged in every aspect of what we’re doing mentally. The physical part for a guy like him, you’ve got to work at it, but I’m not worried about that."

So, there are doctors still involved here and they apparently haven't given the green light... and the team won't cut things short. So we still have some doubt about the timeline. That's why it is being talked about again.

I'm really not sure they addressed the root cause of the labrum tear (at least initially), just fixed the labrum.  I respond with my thoughts here to Superman-

http://forums.colts.com/topic/58262-charlie-casserly-report-luck-to-be-full-go-for-training-camp/?do=findComment&comment=1728972

I remain cautiously optimistic.  But I was last year too and was let down.  I hope it doesn't happen again.

I can’t imagine what steps he possibly skipped last year unless he was doing things on his own outside of his prescribed rehab. The doctors felt he was healed enough last year to clear him to start throwing and he was being closely monitored when he did start throwing. Something must have happened if doctors are not clearing him. 

llol it is not that hard to decipher what he is saying. Basically he is saying the organization doesn't think there is a high chance Luck will ever return to full health but they are going to do everything humanly possible to give it their best shot at bringing him back as the old Andrew Luck. Sadly this is making more and more sense as time passes.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As far as Reich saying when Luck would throw, I’m don’t have the same info as you.  I may have missed what you heard.  Feel free to reference it.

This article is from a month ago and in it Reich indicated the GOAL is that Luck could be throwing by the summer mini camp.  Summer mini is June 12.

If you think they ever shared firm dates or steps with us, that’s an interpretation, as far as I can tell.  They’re good at using qualifiers that some interpret in different ways.  

Bottom line, I can’t see how it could be called a setback if there was never a set time.  

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2018/04/06/colts-coach-frank-reich-goal-luck-throw-minicamp/

In the words of Aaron Rodgers......

R - E - L - A - X

If there were anything wrong with Andrews shoulder right now the extensive throwing program he went through at the Tom House Throwing Academy would have born itself out already.

That program is the most rigorous throwing program going right now used to build arm strength and/or rehab and build arm strength.

I've had Tommy John surgery on my elbow and rehabbed using his techniques, Andrews shoulder is fine whether he's throwing a regulation Duke or not......

Andrew's body language and personality are dead giveaways to that point.

He KNOWS he's good to go and can't wait to unleash hades on the NFL and his naysayers.

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Again, nothing definite.  “Hopeful...maybe...optimistic....”   

I’ll stay with my original observation and see nothing that’s changed.  The timetable is fluid and the steps are on a need to know basis.

Can’t have a setback if you never have anything set...

Lol at the past criticism of a franchise not being transparent with the information to the best of their knowledge. Cuz if they do....and the circumstances change...they are liars, or manipulators....or just trying to sell tickets. 

If I were in charge of the Colt franchise relations department and observed talk like this...and it is everywhere, I would advise the entire team and staff to never share a single piece of information to fans. This is the exact reason Bill B of the pats gives zero information about anyone or thing regarding the team. 

Coach speak and repeated vague answers over and over are driven by henpecking fans and the media. 

If Luck isn't ready day one, and they had 33 draft picks yet didn't draft a QB to develop, they're *.

I agree with the physician who said if Luck isn't ready to start camp he'll never play again.  

Two months.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JColts72 said:

More gibberish talk from them. Who knows when luck will be in a game again.

Yep.... the pressers, articles and “insider” pundit reports are played out. I’ll believe it when I see it with my own two eyes.

0A9402D3-FBD2-4679-AB69-50148DDECC63.gif