Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sports-Entertainment?

Sport  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider sport entertainment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

I used to have a friend that always told me not get upset if my favorite team loses. That sports is just entertainment. To me when it comes to the Colts, Pacers, and Cubs it's not just entertainment. I invest a lot of time in these teams and root for these teams, I love these teams so when they lose it bothers me. So my answer to your question is Yes and No. If the 3 teams above aren't playing it is entertainment to me, if they are playing than I take it serious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is definitely not entertainment for me especially those that involve one of my teams because entertainment is supposed to be enjoyable not make one physically sick

Entertainment can still make people sick even though it is supposed to be enjoyable. 

I don't really know how to answer that question because I believe that sports is more than just entertainment. Sometimes I believe our sports teams are like our family. When they lose or one of our players gets hurt, we take it personally. And yes, sports can make us sick. I recall a long time ago, Vinny Testaverde's father was advised not to attend his son's games anymore because doing so made him sick. He had heart disease and watching his son's games put stress on his heart. 

I know that while watching Vikings games, it seems that my blood pressure goes up. My heart beats harder, especially if the game is still on the line. Having said that, I still enjoy the games very much. I guess I will answer "yes".

How do you get "physically sick"? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Entertainment can still make people sick even though it is supposed to be enjoyable. 

I don't really know how to answer that question because I believe that sports is more than just entertainment. Sometimes I believe our sports teams are like our family. When they lose or one of our players gets hurt, we take it personally. And yes, sports can make us sick. I recall a long time ago, Vinny Testaverde's father was advised not to attend his son's games anymore because doing so made him sick. He had heart disease and watching his son's games put stress on his heart. 

I know that while watching Vikings games, it seems that my blood pressure goes up. My heart beats harder, especially if the game is still on the line. Having said that, I still enjoy the games very much. I guess I will answer "yes".

When the Cubs played the Indians in the WS I nearly puked during Game 7 and had to walk away from the TV several times LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Excessive sweating Nausea, Pacing 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I used to have a friend that always told me not get upset if my favorite team loses. That sports is just entertainment. To me when it comes to the Colts, Pacers, and Cubs it's not just entertainment. I invest a lot of time in these teams and root for these teams, I love these teams so when they lose it bothers me. So my answer to your question is Yes and No. If the 3 teams above aren't playing it is entertainment to me, if they are playing than I take it serious.

When Princeton et. al. is not playing it is often more serious because I go into scouting mode

The only thing missing are game notes

It’s a complicated answer honestly...but in the context of my favorite teams etc yes... it’s exciting, nerve racking, sickening, frustrating just all that and more but nothing that affects my emotions for more than a few hours after the game. For some it’s more...it’s their career. I think at a young age it is much more...it teaches teamwork, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, leadership, lots of life lessons like disappointment and getting up and back at it. So tough question...but I think you mean it like watching NFL etc...and that is definitely just entertainment to me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s a complicated answer honestly...but in the context of my favorite teams etc yes... it’s exciting, nerve racking, sickening, frustrating just all that and more but nothing that affects my emotions for more than a few hours after the game. For some it’s more...it’s their career. I think at a young age it is much more...it teaches teamwork, dedication, hard work, sacrifice, leadership, lots of life lessons like disappointment and getting up and back at it. So tough question...but I think you mean it like watching NFL etc...and that is definitely just entertainment to me.

I experience every sporting event the same way I did as a player/coach

There are times that I can’t wait to get the game over so I can relax

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

This year for the Colts I resolve to have low expectations so I cannot be upset when they lose... But to answer your question yes it is entertaining, just like a movie you may not like is entertainment.

I just turn off a movie I don’t like

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I experience every sporting event the same way I did as a player/coach

There are times that I can’t wait to get the game over so I can relax

Why do you allow that? I don’t get it. I mean it certainly is emotional during a game and I may say a few things about the refs etc but NOTHING compares to when I was playing in HS or college. Not even close. I mean when I played the game would go over and over in my head afterwards etc. I don’t even know how to make myself care more as just a spectator unless I had a child playing. That’s really strange I think Princeton...not sure if that is good or bad...or even healthy lol!!!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why do you allow that? I don’t get it. I mean it certainly is emotional during a game and I may say a few things about the refs etc but NOTHING compares to when I was playing in HS or college. Not even close. I mean when I played the game would go over and over in my head afterwards etc. I don’t even know how to make myself care more as just a spectator unless I had a child playing. That’s really strange I think Princeton...not sure if that is good or bad...or even healthy lol!!!

It has a lot to do with being a coach’s kid and then coaching even when I was playing and then after.

Most of the Princeton athletes are my “kids” since I have known and/or taught/mentored them

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DraftMaster said:

Just like very seldom I turn the TV off when I know the Colts are going to lose... AKA, a lot last year.

14 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Have done that too

I did that one time.  I stopped watching the Colts vs Lions in like the 3rd quarter because I didn't think the Colts could come back.

But they did.  I had to watch the highlights of the Colts comeback and Andrew Luck throwing a game-winning TD on the last play...  :wall:

That made me sick.  I will never do that again.  I don't care if it's 50-7 in the 4th quarter like that AFCCG in Foxborough a few years ago.  I watched Peyton Manning do it in Tampa Bay, Luck did it in Detroit... I should have known.

I have learned the hard way to wait until 00:00 to stop watching a Colts game.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I did that one time.  I stopped watching the Colts vs Lions in like the 3rd quarter because I didn't think the Colts could come back.

But they did.  I had to watch the highlights of the Colts comeback and Andrew Luck throwing a game-winning TD on the last play...  :wall:

That made me sick.  I will never do that again.  I don't care if it's 50-7 in the 4th quarter like that AFCCG in Foxborough a few years ago.  I watched Peyton Manning do it in Tampa Bay, Luck did it in Detroit... I should have known.

I have learned the hard way to wait until 00:00 to stop watching a Colts game.  :facepalm:

I have enough devices and notifications that I never miss a thing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It has a lot to do with being a coach’s kid and then coaching even when I was playing and then after.

Most of the Princeton athletes are my “kids” since I have known and/or taught/mentored them

Oh I understand coaching your kids etc...I was mostly thinking professionally etc. Having a father as a coach and playing for a number of years and brothers and sisters play and now nieces and nephews etc I get that. My school closed so there is no alma mater really for me to pull for except probably IU and our Pacers and Colts but I don’t get wrapped up in it. I refuse to let it affect my happiness or personal life like some lol. But I understand getting wrapped up in the kids you coached. When my dad passed away a few years ago I think more people came to the funeral then lived in our town. Touched a lot of lives in a big way. I bet your the same. It’s the part that makes sports more than entertainment....but the professional stuff...I wouldn’t allow it to do that to me. I’m sure many appreciate your sacrifice and influence on the lives you’ve made..so if no one says it I’ll say it now thank you and others like you that have made a difference in our lives!

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Oh I understand coaching your kids etc...I was mostly thinking professionally etc. Having a father as a coach and playing for a number of years and brothers and sisters play and now nieces and nephews etc I get that. My school closed so there is no alma mater really for me to pull for except probably IU and our Pacers and Colts but I don’t get wrapped up in it. I refuse to let it affect my happiness or personal life like some lol. But I understand getting wrapped up in the kids you coached. When my dad passed away a few years ago I think more people came to the funeral then lived in our town. Touched a lot of lives in a big way. I bet your the same. It’s the part that makes sports more than entertainment....but the professional stuff...I wouldn’t allow it to do that to me. I’m sure many appreciate your sacrifice and influence on the lives you’ve made..so if no one says it I’ll say it now thank you and others like you that have made a difference in our lives!

Thank You

My Dad taught and coached in Princeton for 43 years and my Mom taught in Princeton for 44 years

I have worked with the kids of Princeton in some form since middle school( SS, Public Pool. Coach or Mentor

My first coaching experience came when I was a 5th Grader and coached my Mom’s 3rd Graders in the annual school basketball tournament 

It is a little more enjoyable for me at the NCAA and Pro Level

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Thank You

My Dad taught and coached in Princeton for 43 years and my Mom taught in Princeton for 44 years

I have worked with the kids of Princeton in some form since middle school( SS, Public Pool. Coach or Mentor

My first coaching experience came when I was a 5th Grader and coached my Mom’s 3rd Graders in the annual school basketball tournament 

It is a little more enjoyable for me at the NCAA and Pro Level

I know how you feel.  I retired from Parks&Recreationand and basically did everything from Tiny Tots to Senior Citizens.  I did coaching, teaching arts/crafts, judging, special events and still call them my kids - except the senior citizens.  They call me their kid.  lol!  The one thing that still makes me teary eyes is when one of “my kids” comes up to me, introducing themselves and thanks me.  I then know I made a difference in someones life.

• Like 2

Just now, DillyDilly said:

I know how you feel.  I retired from Parks&Recreationand and basically did everything from Tiny Tots to Senior Citizens.  I did coaching, teaching arts/crafts, judging, special events and still call them my kids - except the senior citizens.  They call me their kid.  lol!  The one thing that still makes me teary eyes is when one of “my kids” comes up to me, introducing themselves and thanks me.  I then know I made a difference in someones life.

Yep

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The real question is:  Do we consider Pro Wrestling a sport?

wrestling-fail.gif

a937ccffbf2f118fa5dce401cc641aea.gif

oh_wrestling_youre_so_funny_05.gif

MPd9.gif

No. It's not.

No more than Cirque du Solae, Ballet, River Dance, etc. 

The actors have some athletic abilities, but that doesn't make what they do a sport.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

haha  And that's being generous.  Calling pro wrestlers "actors" is like calling the people making $5 subs "sandwich artists".

All my sandwiches are art and I make them for free!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's a good question for opinion.....Is it a sport if there is judges involved? I used to say yes especially with boxing because it didn't used to be so subjective who won a fight etc...now its so filled with corruption etc its almost as scripted as wrestling lol. But I can't stand watching "sports" that involve judges like Gymnastics, Cheerleading, Diving, Snowboarding etc because I can't trust the system. I want a sport with measurable results and a defined outcome. Of course with the legalized betting and the way these professional leagues manage the outcomes could be scrutinized certainly too. Guess I just wondered what peoples thoughts are these more artistic sports more entertainment then sport?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The real question is:  Do we consider Pro Wrestling a sport?

wrestling-fail.gif

a937ccffbf2f118fa5dce401cc641aea.gif

oh_wrestling_youre_so_funny_05.gif

MPd9.gif

Sure it is..

It requires athletic ability, training , coordination and teamwork......

There are major and minor leagues......

Just because the outcome is predetermined doesnt make it any less a sport, right?

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Sure it is..

It requires athletic ability, training , coordination and teamwork......

There are major and minor leagues......

Just because the outcome is predetermined doesnt make it any less a sport, right?

Yes, it does, because if it's predetermined, there's no real competition, so couldn't be a sport.

But you know that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, buccolts said:

Yes, it does, because if it's predetermined, there's no real competition, so couldn't be a sport.

.......you may not know that ...skating is a sport......

.......and the routines are predetermined.....its a show..It can be judged but it usually isnt

Gymnastics is sport...again....the routine is all pre-determined....

Hunting and fishing are sports.....even though, for the squirrel and the carp the outcome is predetermined.

But you know that.

13 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

.......you may not know that ...skating is a sport......

.......and the routines are predetermined.....its a show..It can be judged but it usually isnt

Gymnastics is sport...again....the routine is all pre-determined....

Hunting and fishing are sports.....even though, for the squirrel and the carp the outcome is predetermined.

But you know that.

Hmm, then dancing must be a sport, and America's Got Talent, Dancing with the Stars, etc, should all be a part of my Sports Package. 

Is line dancing a team sport? Locally they may give out a ribbon, so there's competition.

Difference is that the dancers and skaters are ACTUALLY dancing and skating.

TV wrastlers aren't really wrestling. They often don't really hit each other. In some of their 'moves' they don't even touch each othe (look at the clips you quoted)r. They act out roles, and pretend to win, or lose, and someone gets a new belt, and the audience (some of which is likely paid to be there) ROARS.

But, you knew that.....          :)