Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eric Ebron

James

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I hope the coaches are right about the lack of fit, I know that is why they let him go. This is not your "typical forum run of the mill gripe against Ballard" that I came up with. I have seen Derek Wolfe, who is at the similar height and weight, play the 1-gap 3-4 DE position shooting gaps. HA had slimmed down to that Derek Wolfe weight range, wanting the chance to shoot gaps as a 1-gap UT. Both Derek Wolfe and HA stand at 6'5" and taller. Eberflus should know, David Irving that plays UT for the Cowboys is around the 290 lb range standing at 6'7".

I am not saying we lost a Pro Bowler but I wish we gave him a chance before we cut him loose, he may have surprised us with our fit assessment, very much like Jerry Hughes shone in someone else's 3-4 while we continued our search for pass rushers for our 3-4. Our gain was just a 7th rounder. 

I went through this once as a player and once as a Coach

During my playing careeer I was asked to change my primary position of C to G because I couldn’t  snap the ball the way the Offense needed and then I was on staff before and after a couple of HC and O/D Scheme changes

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I hope the coaches are right about the lack of fit, I know that is why they let him go. This is not your "typical forum run of the mill gripe against Ballard" that I came up with. I have seen Derek Wolfe, who is at the similar height and weight, play the 1-gap 3-4 DE position shooting gaps. HA had slimmed down to that Derek Wolfe weight range, wanting the chance to shoot gaps as a 1-gap UT. Both Derek Wolfe and HA stand at 6'5" and taller. Eberflus should know, David Irving that plays UT for the Cowboys is around the 290 lb range standing at 6'7".

I am not saying we lost a Pro Bowler but I wish we gave him a chance before we cut him loose, he may have surprised us with our fit assessment, very much like Jerry Hughes shone in someone else's 3-4 while we continued our search for pass rushers for our 3-4 under Pagano. Our gain was just a 7th rounder with HA. 

It's very likely they considered those things that you just said......and they traded him anyway. They did him a solid and traded him to a team operating a defense that his skillset fits......3-4. He gone.....

• Like 1

As far as Ebron is concerned, his drops have improved and look at his side by side stats thru 4 years with some of the recent greats......you may be a bit surprised at what you see.

Just a classic change of scenery player that needed fresh voices speaking to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

As far as Ebron is concerned, his drops have improved and look at his side by side stats thru 4 years with some of the recent greats......you may be a bit surprised at what you see.

Just a classic change of scenery player that needed fresh voices speaking to him.

Maturity has helped too

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SSFiero said:

I think this nails it. At 10th the expectations are high. He still put up 50 receptions and 600 yards average over the past 3 years. I think if that's whats expected here, he'll deliver. And his attitude could change just from whats expected of him. 

He fits the mold of a lot of FA signings by Ballard so far too. Solid upside, just wasn’t working out so well in his last gig, for whatever reason, & will come in with something to prove.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, James said:

Yeah, that's what I'm counting on too. He seems really fired up on social media - at the moment. But even as a receiving tight end I still think about what his behaviour could be if the start of the season doesn't go as we all hope it does. The Detroit fans seem to genuinely think he is toxic and way too finger-pointing in his behaviour, making him a bad signing. Another Detroit fan writes:

I really hope they are wrong, and he has changed. Has to fit a proper culture.

They are Lions fans.

its not like they know what quality football looks like.  They are frustrated and bitter about everything.  It might be related to all that lead in the water pipes up there in Detroit and Flint.  It affects ones ability to reason.  Its kinda like taking a Browns fan's opinion as fact.  You just shouldnt do it.

I'll admit that I am a little worried.   You should be when a fan base is thrilled to be rid of a player. 

However, he is young, a former 1st round pick and didn't cost much.   It's a risk/reward that favors the reward.  

Nice signing Ballard.  

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

I'll admit that I am a little worried.   You should be when a fan base is thrilled to be rid of a player. 

However, he is young, a former 1st round pick and didn't cost much.   It's a risk/reward that favors the reward.  

Nice signing Ballard.  

I would be more worried if the coaches were saying but not fans

• Like 1

I live in Michigan, so I have heard the complaints of the Lions fans everyday. Its not so much Ebron dropping the ball that is  the problem, It is the timing of the drops. Mostly on 3rd downs that would keep drives alive, or in the end zone where the Lions had to settle for field goals instead of TDs.  

The other issue Lions fans had wasn't Ebrons fault, They didn't like his draft spot, and I don't blame them their(see Phillip Doresett) Odel Beckham and Aaron Donald were both still on the board when Ebron was drafted.(both lions needs) Fans were tired of seeing the impact of these players while Ebron dropped passes in crucial times of games.

I Have no problem with the Ebon signing, See he will be the #2 TE, I think the pressure is off of him.  As many of his drops were magnified by timing the same way Pierre Garcon drops were by Colts fans.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SSFiero said:

I think this nails it. At 10th the expectations are high. He still put up 50 receptions and 600 yards average over the past 3 years. I think if that's whats expected here, he'll deliver. And his attitude could change just from whats expected of him. 

What amazes me about that fanbase is they'll run a guy like Ebron out of town for not "living up to expectations," but they stay eternally patient with Matthew Stafford, who was selected first overall, and to this day has yet to win a playoff game, or lead them to a division title.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

What amazes me about that fanbase is they'll run a guy like Ebron out of town for not "living up to expectations," but they stay eternally patient with Matthew Stafford, who was selected first overall, and to this day has yet to win a playoff game, or lead them to a division title.

You mean they are like the fanbase of every NFL team? :)

• Like 1

Ebron has the skillset to be very good.   We got him for cheap I believe and the upside is quite nice.  Let's hope he learned something from Detroit and takes the next step.  I think he will.  If not it's not like we are on the books for much.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I tend to put very little stock into anything a fan base says

I agree with that.  However I'm sure Ballard took it into consideration a little bit.  Even if it was as small as a question when they interviewed him.   But, for the most part, I think he went off of his own evaluation and those of his scouts. 

I do think that there are many very smart fans who collectively could do well as part of a front office.   I'm not advocating for it, just thinking hypothetically.   Wouldn't it be fun if we knew how we would do in the drafts if we replaced Grigson.   Maybe 15 of the best posters on this site going with majority rules.   We would have taken Luck, that is pretty certain.   We may have done worse over the 5 drafts he did, but I would bet that we would have been close or even surpassed his success.  

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

stafford has been pretty good, his stats are very similar to andrew lucks.  his completion % and qb rating are actually better

the lions running game has been worse than ours, and the defense disappointing for the talent they had 

19 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He is 25 I doubt hes here just to fill in he is a very high potential player and young hes not a stop gap

While I agree he has the potential I just see a lot of vontae attitude wise. No one expected to see vontae see the door but he was gone simply because of his attitude. (One might argue injury but I really doubt that’s why Ballard cut him)

Im for giving ebron a chance. He just needs to work through some of his immaturity. 

I didnt mean he was just a stop gap filling in until we find his replacement. I just don’t think he will be around with us that long because of history showing his lack of effort. I hope I’m wrong. I can’t imagine living in Detroit. Could just have been his surrounding environment. 

Vontaes exit had diddly squat to do with his attitude.  The tape clearly showed a guy who wasn't on his game anymore.  We are all for the most part sure that was due to injury and age.  Unless you are talking about Miami Vontae from years ago, but I didn't get that vibe when reading the post.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

stafford has been pretty good, his stats are very similar to andrew lucks.  his completion % and qb rating are actually better

the lions running game has been worse than ours, and the defense disappointing for the talent they had 

I never said he was bad, in fact I know that he's not, but unfair as it may be, QBs are judged by division wins, & postseason victories. Especially when guys selected with the 1st overall pick.

• Like 1