Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drew Brees Angry

KeyserSoza

Here is the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report-drew-brees-livid-franchise-tag-011643713.html

I don't see this as Brees' fault at all.

Saints are trying to lowball him since they did not plan for the other free agents Colston, Nicks, and Porter happening at the same time. So, they are asking him to take the discount.

Word is, he got the same contract as Peyton, 5 yrs. $90 mil. and Condon was asking for the same $23 mil. over the first 3 years while I think the Saints do not want to part with more than the average, $18 mil. for the first 3 years. We all know how the Saints work, they will turn around and kick Brees to the curb (knowing how Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis operate now) once his production declines since contracts are not guaranteed.

With this being Brees' last possible contract in his life, the front loaded contract makes more sense from his point of view and Tom Condon's point of view. It is not like Aaron Rodgers signing his second contract. This is Brees' third contract and he is healthier to warrant the front loaded contract.

He did the same thing that Brady did early in his career, for his second contract, identical numbers, 6 yrs for $60 mil., which was a discounted deal (ironically, it allowed them to win a championship like Brady's 3). Then Brady got his 4 yr. $72 mil., Peyton got his 5 yr. $90 mil., and now Brees wants the same deal as Peyton, written identically for the first 3 years except it is not written like a 1 yr. contract with a 4 yr. extension due to Peyton's health.

Drew Brees is a little full of himself...

..he has no choice..he plays for NOLA..or he goes home..

Well when you put up his type of numbers and you basically are getting lowballed, you might be a bit annoyed (Yes annoyed is being very nice) as well.

if i was brees i would be upset. before brees the saints were the Saints. hes brought respect to the saints and most important he brought them a title. he is in the class of brady and manning and he should be paid like it.

He may have a right to be upset if they are offering him less than market value, but he has no reason to react to be being franchised. What else are the Saints supposed to do? Peyton has been franchised a couple of times, I don't recall the word "livid" coming up. That's just ridiculous.

Perhaps he is expecting too much money. Excellent QB, but he should be making markedly less than Peyton or Brady. I don't recall anyone ever using the phrase "one of the greatest of all time" when talking about him. Does anyone know for a fact that the Saints ARE low-balling him? Maybe it's the other way around.

Drew Brees is a little full of himself...

..he has no choice..he plays for NOLA..or he goes home..

you do know he can hold out right? i highly doubt the saints wanna go into the season with chase dainels as their starter

Does anyone know for a fact that the Saints ARE low-balling him? Maybe it's the other way around.

I doubt it is the other way. The Saints have a lot of cap issues they did not deal with earlier, with the issues of re-signing Nicks, Colston, Porter etc. and it should not be Brees' problem to take less money than market value. I remember reading on ESPN tickers that Tom Condon wants the exact same contract for Brees as Peyton signed last year. It is a no brainer to me, then.

Brees would not be livid if the franchise tag was applied while they were negotiating a long term contract as a possibility. $14.4 mil. versus potentially a $18 mil. average for a longer term contract that he deserves. Yeah, that is not market value to me, looking at it objectively.

I doubt it is the other way. The Saints have a lot of cap issues they did not deal with earlier, with the issues of re-signing Nicks, Colston, Porter etc. and it should not be Brees' problem to take less money than market value. I remember reading on ESPN tickers that Tom Condon wants the exact same contract for Brees as Peyton signed last year. It is a no brainer to me, then.

Brees would not be livid if the franchise tag was applied while they were negotiating a long term contract as a possibility. $14.4 mil. versus potentially a $18 mil. average for a longer term contract that he deserves. Yeah, that is not market value to me, looking at it objectively.

Well then the agent is playing a game. Brees should NOT get exactly the same contract as Manning. If Peyton's (and Brady's) average was $18 mil per year, than give him $16 mil. If the Saints are saying "take $12 mil or play under the franchise all year", that's low balling. If they are offering $14-15 mil, that's called negotiating, and one would assume that they will sign him to a contract eventually. If Condon insists that Brees is worth exactly the same as Manning, then what does he say ten minutes later when renegotiating Peyton's contract?

Brees should NOT get exactly the same contract as Manning.

If Condon insists that Brees is worth exactly the same as Manning, then what does he say ten minutes later when renegotiating Peyton's contract?

One, the fundamental difference here is that you do not think Brees should get the same contract as Manning, I believe he should, there we agree to disagree.

Next, Brees and Peyton's situations are different. Brees is healthy and is not coming off major surgery like last time when he signed a 6 yr. $60 mil. contract (after coming over from Chargers), that ends up being a steal of a deal for the Saints, and Brees never complained about it. Peyton has more health questions to answer, so the negotiating will be dictated along different terms, IMO with more variables.

This guy is just as important to NO as Manning was to Indy in his prime and deserves every penny. He just had one of the best seasons of any QB ever.

1st world problems.

Agree 100% with both of these. I'm sure the fans will be more mad at the management for letting Brees go than at Brees for asking for so much money (at least I would be if I were a Saints fan). Brees has done so much in the community

This guy is just as important to NO as Manning was to Indy in his prime and deserves every penny. He just had one of the best seasons of any QB ever.

This. Brees is healthy and still in the prime of his career and without him the Saints might win 6 games. The team also doesnt have any real leverage in my opinion. They dont have another guy they can easily sign or draft to replace him. Its pretty much pay the man or find yourself back to being mediocre.

Maybe I'm a cold person but, 14 million that the Franchise Tag is worth...I think it's 14 million...is way, way, way, way, way more money then I will ever see in my entire life. So, I really can't feel too much for him when he's already making way, way, way, way, way more then I'll ever see in my life.

But it's these things that make a lot of people resent that pro-athletes are already overpaid as it is. I get people think he's the entire New Orleans Saints, but he's not irreplacable. The Saints have other offensive weapons.

Would it really be fair to these other guys that are those offensive weapons to be told they won't be re-signed because Drew Brees gets that nice, big, fat contract while those guys can't get a new contract because of it?

Maybe I'm a cold person but, 14 million that the Franchise Tag is worth...I think it's 14 million...is way, way, way, way, way more money then I will ever see in my entire life. So, I really can't feel too much for him when he's already making way, way, way, way, way more then I'll ever see in my life.

But it's these things that make a lot of people resent that pro-athletes are already overpaid as it is. I get people think he's the entire New Orleans Saints, but he's not irreplacable. The Saints have other offensive weapons.

Would it really be fair to these other guys that are those offensive weapons to be told they won't be re-signed because Drew Brees gets that nice, big, fat contract while those guys can't get a new contract because of it?

Betty27, i dont disagree with your points against the pro althethes as a whole, the whole lot is overpaid . .. well at least in the four major sports in this country and we all pay for it indirectly through cable fees, tickets, merchandise, etc . ..

but on the individual level, i think we need to remember that it is one of relativity, that is, one player's situation in relation to another player's situation . . . and so on the level, I can understand if a player would be upset if he is not getting his "fair" compensation . . . that is the top say QBs are getting X dollars, then a person who is a top QB should get get that compensation, be it is 50k per year, 1 mil per year or 15.5 mil per year . . . i can understand if one feels they are getting paid less than their peers . . . , my two cents

From the article: "... . Last year, a quarterback with the franchise tag made the average of the top five highest-paid players at his position -- in 2011, it was over $16 million. This year, with the new calculations, it's $14.4 million. .... "

I know the last time someone offered me 14.4 million to play a game I wasn't too happy either. In fact, I threw one of my diamond shoes at them and ordered the limo driver to run them down.