Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTA’s 5/23/18

TKnight24

I too am really interested to see what OL combo is working with the 1's.  

Obviously a lot can change between now and the end of camp.  But it would be good to find out who the initial favorites are.

LB's man that just is a huge tossup.  

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, a lot of people are hyping up the Cain Train.......hope he is half as good as they are making him out to be. 

I am excited to see what Cain can do but I am always leary of WRs that have issues with drops.  Especially when those drops concentration related.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, a lot of people are hyping up the Cain Train.......hope he is half as good as they are making him out to be. 

It’ll be REALLY difficult for him to surpass some Colts fans’ expectations, because they are already pretty lofty haha 

Cain Train sounds cool tho. All aboard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Hes a 6th round pick. If he catches a dozen passes this season, he would be greatly exceeding expectations.

You do realize he was projected as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, right? You wouldn't of been saying that La'el Collins would be lucky to be playing in his rookie year because he's an undrafted FA, would you? Know that he was a value pick and he should easily outperform expectations, especially if Luck is healthy with the current receiving crew. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I hope so too. But I am not sure how realistic people are being. Here is the list of 6th round WRs since 2013:

Robert Davis

Mortiz Boehringer

Jakeem Grant

Kolby Listenbee 

Cody Core - 17 receptions, 200 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Mike Thomas

Aaron Burbridge - 7 receptions, 88 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Kaelin Clay - 17 receptions, 147 yards in third season...didn't catch a pass until his third season

Geremy Davis - 2 receptions, 21 yards in rookie season...nothing since

Evan Spencer 

Bud Sasser 

Darren Waller - 2 receptions, 18 yards in rookie season...10 receptions, 85 yards in two seasons since

Robert Herron - 6 receptions, 58 yards in rookie season...never played again

T.J. Jones  - 45 receptions, 624 yards in career so far...but didn't catch a pass until his second season

Matt Hazel - 1 reception in three seasons

Walt Powell - O receptions in three seasons

Quincy Enunwa - 80 receptions, 1,172 yards in career so far...but didn't catch a pass until second season

Corey Fuller  - 18 receptions, 288 yards in career...hasn't played since 2015

Ryan Swoope

Justin Brown - 12 receptions, 94 yards in rookie season...out of the league

Alan Bonner

Cobi Hamilton - 18 receptions, 242 yards in career...didn't catch a pass until his third season

There are a lot of very good college WRs on this list...but 45% of them haven't caught (or never caught) a pass at the NFL level. And the overall production for the ones who have caught passes is mostly minimal...and many of them are out of the league now. Enunwa is obviously an outlier...but even he didn't start producting until after his rookie season. Same with T.J. Jones.

Cain reminds me of his fellow Clemson teammate, Charone Peake. Both were hyped as day two picks and both have incredibly similar size and athleticism. Cain went in the 6th round and Peake was a 7th round pick. I think Peake's rookie season is a fair starting point for Cain. 

Cain certainly has a lot of upside, but he also has a lot of history working against him. If anything, I think Fountain is the guy to watch this season. They heavily targeted him pre-draft and he was the first WR taken (they willingly risked Cain being gone at that point). I think they have big plans for Fountain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You do realize he was projected as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, right? You wouldn't of been saying that La'el Collins would be lucky to be playing in his rookie year because he's an undrafted FA, would you? Know that he was a value pick and he should easily outperform expectations, especially if Luck is healthy with the current receiving crew. 

Plenty of day two WRs have failed to have much of an impact in their rookie seasons. And Cain isn't the first WR to slip in the draft. We don't really know what teams thought of him. There was a reason why teams passed on him for several rounds. Something on film and/or in meetings with him made those teams doubt if he was ready to make an impact at the NFL level...or if he even would. And those teams (including the Colts) took 20 WRs over him.

I am all for getting excited about rookies. I would love to see Cain be an outlier (like Diggs or Kupp), but I don't have those expectations right away. And I think he will need some development before he makes an impact. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I am excited to see what Cain can do but I am always leary of WRs that have issues with drops.  Especially when those drops concentration related.

Yeah the word "drops" and "Wide Receiver" aren't two words I like reading in the same sentence.

• Like 1

Just now, lollygagger8 said:

Swoope and Mewhort hurt again? 

Must've not stretched before hitting snooze on the alarm clock. 

Mewhort is still rehabbing his knee from last year I believe 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cain didn't have a homicide case attached to his name around draft time though..... he fell because of character/performance issues I believe. 

La'el would have been a first round pick for sure if the whole murder case didn't happen to him. 

15 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Yeah the word "drops" and "Wide Receiver" aren't two words I like reading in the same sentence.

Yup, it's right up there with 

QBs that have accuracy issues

RBs that have vision issues

Olineman that have strength issues

DTs that have play recognition issues

Lbers take false steps

CBs that have trouble locating the ball

Safeties that take poor angles.

• Like 4