Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Kollmann - How the Eagles were Built (Looks like the Colts now)

TheMarine

Can really see the influence of this mindset of the Eagles is influencing how the Colts are being built.

The TLDR for Rules

1) Backup QBs should be starting quality for Currency value (Trade) and in case your MVP Candidate goes down (Fowles suberbowl MVP)

2) Commit High value resources (Draft) to OL/DL - They either protect the QB or Rush the QB

3) Safety is better value than CB

4) Right Tackle needs to be able to pass block and NOT be the stereotypical Road-Grader

5) Quickly adapt and change your rooster based on trends as they evolve

1: We saw this easily with Jacoby. He's probably a full time NFL Starter who we have on the cheap right now, and going into his last year we can probably get a ton of value from him in terms of draft capital.

2: See 2018 NFL Draft
3: Again we saw this play out pretty strongly. We all screamed (kinda) for a CB and questioned why it didn't happen. Well... You get better value at the safety position in terms of payroll. So, you're able to pay more for top talent there, and keep turning over your CBs into more draft capital.

4: You'll probably see the best pass protector of all the remaining non-starters at the other 4 line positions get the starting nod here (Castanzo, Nelson, Kelly, Mewhort).

5: Well, look at how fast this Colts rooster changed over to match what the Eagles were building. Its almost a blink of the eye and bam there you go. For years the Colts tried to build the NFC North and ended up building the Browns apart from Luck, Hilton, and... Castanzo?

• Like 2

I thought a Colt was part of the equine family not the rooster family but if the Colts want to change their rooster who am I to argue?

But to the list:

1.  Every team would like a starting quality back-up QB.  The problem is finding a starting quality QB to start and then to find one as a back-up and then to find one that is ok being in the back-up role.

2.  I'm a big fan of drafting oline early.  But the Colts should be done with that now.  

3. I don't know if I quite understand this and I can't watch the video.  Are they saying that safeties provide the same impact on the D as CBs but are cheaper?

4.  I've been saying this for a long time (usually whenever someone complains about ACs pass blocking and then say move him to RT where he is a better fit) Edge guys rush the QB from both sides, there is very little difference between the skillset needed for LT or RT in today's NFL.  Also as I have stated, the best counter to the edge rusher and smaller, faster ILBs is a running game between the tackles which means the interior line becomes a more premium position.

5.  I understand this but I don't necessarily agree.  I think it's better to find players that can adapt to trends rather than trying to find new players to chase trends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really good stuff from Kollmann. 

I think Ballard was already a build the trenches kind of guy, or at least he’s talked about that a lot since being hired. But he/Reich have talked a lot about having enough solid DL to use them in waves this offseason particularly, like Kollman mentions in the video.

The RT part is interesting and definitely something I agree with. If we exceed expectations and miss out on the elite DL talent in next year’s draft I could definitely see Ballard going after one if the many talented OT’s.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought a Colt was part of the equine family not the rooster family but if the Colts want to change their rooster who am I to argue?

But to the list:

1.  Every team would like a starting quality back-up QB.  The problem is finding a starting quality QB to start and then to find one as a back-up and then to find one that is ok being in the back-up role.

2.  I'm a big fan of drafting oline early.  But the Colts should be done with that now.  

3. I don't know if I quite understand this and I can't watch the video.  Are they saying that safeties provide the same impact on the D as CBs but are cheaper?

4.  I've been saying this for a long time (usually whenever someone complains about ACs pass blocking and then say move him to RT where he is a better fit) Edge guys rush the QB from both sides, there is very little difference between the skillset needed for LT or RT in today's NFL.  Also as I have stated, the best counter to the edge rusher and smaller, faster ILBs is a running game between the tackles which means the interior line becomes a more premium position.

5.  I understand this but I don't necessarily agree.  I think it's better to find players that can adapt to trends rather than trying to find new players to chase trends.

^^^This.

Running out of 3 WR formations was also something the Eagles were good at. For that, we need good blocking pass catchers amongst our WRs and TEs. More teams play smaller LBs like Telvin Smith (Jags) for pass coverage reasons, and play 3 safety looks plenty of times. Thus having the interior guards to be able to run and control tempo against them, plus good blocking from wide outs is a key to success. 

I do not agree with the safety over CB importance. While it might be easier with contracts doled out, having that man CB take care of his man allows LB rotation towards pass catching TEs and slot wide outs that are hard to double team easier. Broncos' 3 man CBs helped Wade Philips cut down the production in the middle considerably en route to their SB win and that cannot be understated.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

^^^This.

Running out of 3 WR formations was also something the Eagles were good at. For that, we need good blocking pass catchers amongst our WRs and TEs. More teams play smaller LBs like Telvin Smith (Jags) for pass coverage reasons, and play 3 safety looks plenty of times. Thus having the interior guards to be able to run and control tempo against them, plus good blocking from wide outs is a key to success. 

I do not agree with the safety over CB importance. While it might be easier with contracts doled out, having that man CB take care of his man allows LB rotation towards pass catching TEs and slot wide outs that are hard to double team easier. Broncos' 3 man CBs helped Wade Philips cut down the production in the middle considerably en route to their SB win and that cannot be understated.

The point about 3 WR sets is interesting and it's one of the reasons I think the Colts signed Ebron, he spends over half his snaps split out wide so he gives a lot of formation flexibility.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The point about 3 WR sets is interesting and it's one of the reasons I think the Colts signed Ebron, he spends over half his snaps split out wide so he gives a lot of formation flexibility.

This is a good read, a post mortem post SB film review done on the Patriots PatsPulpit:

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/9/16994154/film-review-eagles-offense-won-super-bowl-with-heavy-dosage-of-runs-out-of-three-wide-receiver-sets

I do wonder if we get a heavy input from any kind of analytics department, the way the Eagles have been doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I certainly can remember times people said Nick Foles wasn't starter material as well.

Nick Foles looks like a starter when he isn't playing for Jeff Fisher's Rams.

He looked like a starter under Chip Kelly's Eagles, looked bad with the Rams, but then played a couple games with the Chiefs and looked good.  

Then back with the Eagles he looks like a starter again.

Jacoby never really looked like a starter.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Nick Foles looks like a starter when he isn't playing for Jeff Fisher's Rams.

He looked like a starter under Chip Kelly's Eagles, looked bad with the Rams, but then played a couple games with the Chiefs and looked good.  

Then back with the Eagles he looks like a starter again.

Jacoby never really looked like a starter.  

You saw him(Brissett) play very briefly for 1 team and half a season for another.

Foles has rarely looked like a starter.   But I'm not making an argument that Brissett is Foles.   That remains to be seen.  I'm just saying it's very early.   As I always point out it took Alex Smith quite a while to look like a good QB.

20 hours ago, krunk said:

You saw him(Brissett) play very briefly for 1 team and half a season for another.

Foles has rarely looked like a starter.   But I'm not making an argument that Brissett is Foles.   That remains to be seen.  I'm just saying it's very early.   As I always point out it took Alex Smith quite a while to look like a good QB.

Brissett I believe started 15 of our 16 games.  That's pretty much a full season.  In that full season I didn't see anything that screamed that he was starter material.  

I maintain Foles looked like a starter everywhere but St. Louis.  

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Brissett I believe started 15 of our 16 games.  That's pretty much a full season.  In that full season I didn't see anything that screamed that he was starter material.  

I don't maintain that(Foles looking like a starter in most places) but we are not the same person so...  I still think it's really early to place that type of call on a 2nd year QB.  Hardest position on the field.  Some people take years to develop at that spot.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't maintain that(Foles looking like a starter in most places) but we are not the same person so...  I still think it's really early to place that type of call on a 2nd year QB.  Hardest position on the field.  Some people take years to develop at that spot.

Fair enough but the post talks about getting a backup with some starter level talent.  If Brissett does get that then it will be out of a lucky break for the Colts.  Not because they found a guy with starter level talent.  If Brissett really had that he would have been traded for a lot more then Phillip Dorrsett.

Now more talent then Scott Tolzien. . . He certainly has that.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Kind of hard for any QB to look like a starter when all you get is pounded into the turf.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2018 at 12:36 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I tend to agree with you here. IMO, Brissett proved he was a capable backup. He definitely developed as the season went on. He also took an absolute beating and seemed to be a leader. 

I will say, I feel pretty good about him as our #2.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:04 PM, chad72 said:

we are playing a cover two base, safetys are more important in that scheme 

the broncos were 3-4 man coverage base 

On 6/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, ColtJ82 said:

I tend to agree with you here. IMO, Brissett proved he was a capable backup. He definitely developed as the season went on. He also took an absolute beating and seemed to be a leader. 

I will say, I feel pretty good about him as our #2.

I'm good with him being our 2.  I just don't see him as a #1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 8:39 AM, aaron11 said:

we are playing a cover two base, safetys are more important in that scheme 

the broncos were 3-4 man coverage base 

Agreed. Add in that safeties typically get drafted later and typically don't make as much money as corners, and it's easy to see why safety would provide greater value -- in this defensive system -- than corner. 

That doesn't mean I want to see the Colts turn their noses up at the chance to add good corners, either in free agency or in the draft. 

I’m telling you! If Luck returns to 90-100% of what he was the colts are going to surprise a lot of people. He alone took a 2-14 team and turned them into a playoff contender the next year .... now he has some talent and a good O line ..... this and next year we will make some HUGE jumps! 

• Like 1