Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keeping Brissett at #2

horseshoecrabs

We all hope Andrew can gradually return as our Franchise QB, But plan B should be good also with Brissett  for now as our #2 with his hard knocks introduction , last year into the NFL I feel he has a step up for now as a solid  #2 QB that we haven't  had, even when Manning was QB. I don't know how good Brissett can be as a starter but I would damn sure love him at a back up in our system, for years to come if Luck remains our starter. 

• Like 2

We have him cheap for another couple years.  Keep him and trade him near the end of his rookie contract like NE does. Arguably, his value may be highest just before his free agency. I could see us getting a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd if he continues to develop.

i'd love to see him stay as our backup, but i think we will be out-bid in FA.

we got him for nothing as Allen would have been released anyway.

keep him for insurance until another backup can be groomed.

i doubt we re-sign him as he'll be getting some attention from teams which will boost his price beyond his value to us.

• Like 3

I'm down with keeping Jacoby. If last year shows us anything about backup quarterbacks, having a decent one to come in, like Nick Foles did in Carson Wentz's injury, is pretty nice. We have a decent backup who could start on a couple teams (probably), lets keep him around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

We have him cheap for another couple years.  Keep him and trade him near the end of his rookie contract like NE does. Arguably, his value may be highest just before his free agency. I could see us getting a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd if he continues to develop.

i doubt we re-sign him as he'll be getting some attention from teams which will boost his price beyond his value to us.

We traded Dorsett for Brissett just to be accurate. 

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We traded Dorsett for Brissett just to be accurate. 

Richard is right, we traded Dorsett for Jacoby. For Dwayne Allen, I think we got a 4th rd pick which is also looking like a steal bc Allen's game really fell off. He lost it bad.

17 minutes ago, Mike Tahoe said:

Richard is right, we traded Dorsett for Jacoby. For Dwayne Allen, I think we got a 4th rd pick which is also looking like a steal bc Allen's game really fell off. He lost it bad.

It was a push, with that 4th Rounder we chose Banner who didn’t even make final cut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I know Brissett is a fan favorite here on the forum, and I am in the minority... But I just don't have much confidence in Brissett.

I just nderstand what you are saying but he's arguably the best backup we've had in a while.  With better protection up front and a year of experience, i expect Brissett to be much more productive.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I just nderstand what you are saying but he's arguably the best backup we've had in a while.  With better protection up front and a year of experience, i expect Brissett to be much more productive.

Being the best backup in a while isn't saying much, given that the previous backup was Scott Tolzein. But I'd take Matt Hasselbeck in a heartbeat over Jacoby Brissett. Heck, I'd take him today over Jacoby Brissett if he could be coaxed out of retirement. Hopefully, we won't see Brissett on the field at all this year except for some preseason action and possibly some garbage time snaps. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Being the best backup in a while isn't saying much, given that the previous backup was Scott Tolzein. But I'd take Matt Hasselbeck in a heartbeat over Jacoby Brissett. Heck, I'd take him today over Jacoby Brissett if he could be coaxed out of retirement. Hopefully, we won't see Brissett on the field at all this year except for some preseason action and possibly some garbage time snaps. 

ID take Brissett over Hasselbeck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

Like i said, he's a good, cheap option at backup who we onow well by now.  Hasselbeck relied on his experience, but his skills   were declining.

and there is a very real possibility Brissett could start the s ason at QB. I'd raylther it be Brissett than some new guy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

giphy.gif

Can't say I agree with ya there. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Hass lost the ability to stretch the field near the end.  His range was only about 30 yards or so.  Defenses were loading the box because he never three deep.

Brissett has a much stronger arm and can also run out of the pocket when needed.  I don't even see the comparison - other than field smarts, and Brissett gained a bit more last year.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I know Brissett is a fan favorite here on the forum, and I am in the minority... But I just don't have much confidence in Brissett.

I'm in the same boat as you.  He's a good backup but I would not want to rely on him for a full season or to try and pull something out in crunch time, he tends to crack in critical situations.

9 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

And your starting QB week one will be Brissett.  Get used to it.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm in the same boat as you.  He's a good backup but I would not want to rely on him for a full season or to try and pull something out in crunch time, he tends to crack in critical situations.

I'd like to see what he can do under the new offense.  I think he will show up and play much better than last year.

I think one of the things people may be missing is that (arguably) Brissett and Luck share a similar skill set (less the high QB IQ), so you don't really have to change much if Luck gets hurt.  Puts a lot less stress on the O should Brissett have to come in for a few games during the season.

• Like 1

If Brissett can learn to read things better and get rid of the ball to his hot route he should do better in this offense. I thought he was pretty horrible against the blitz for most of last year.  I will give him a little bit of a caveat due to the circumstances but not much.   I think this system does more to free guys up faster and takes advantage of each level of the field.  He's going to have to do that because he really not much of a runner.  I mean he can take off a little bit, but he's not very fast and it doesn't take long for guys to hawk him down. Hopefully we don't have to see him at all this year to be honest.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I'd like to see what he can do under the new offense.  I think he will show up and play much better than last year.

I think one of the things people may be missing is that (arguably) Brissett and Luck share a similar skill set (less the high QB IQ), so you don't really have to change much if Luck gets hurt.  Puts a lot less stress on the O should Brissett have to come in for a few games during the season.

A new offensive system will make a difference but I disagree they have a similar skill set.  I don't think Brissett is nearly as accurate on the short and medium routes (especially between the numbers), he presnap reads aren't as accurate and he's not as effective as a scrambler.  Whereas QBs like Brady and Manning and Rogers and Roethlisberger and Wilson see to play better when the game is online, JB seemed to want to do too much and on more than one occassion had a bad play that was part of costing the Colts a game.

He (JB) does have a strong arm, has a great deep ball and can throw that 8-12 yard out as well as anybody.  He is also more of a risk taker than Luck which can be good and bad.

• Like 1

If JB has to QB at any point this year I do like the fact that our offensive line should be substantially improved in pass protection and run blocking.   That's a good thing to be able to lean on.  We didn't have very much of a running game last year and the protection was terrible.  I think he's a good play action quarterback when the running game is working.  But again hopefully I don't have to see him play at all this year outside of the preseason.

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

If Brissett can learn to read things better and get rid of the ball to his hot route he should do better in this offense. I thought he was pretty horrible against the blitz for most of last year.  I will give him a little bit of a caveat due to the circumstances but not much.   I think this system does more to free guys up faster and takes advantage of each level of the field.  He's going to have to do that because he really not much of a runner.  I mean he can take off a little bit, but he's not very fast and it doesn't take long for guys to hawk him down. Hopefully we don't have to see him at all this year to be honest.

I agree.  And don't forget the Patriots weren't afraid to trade him while he was on a cheap contract and Jimmy G was gone.  They obviously thought they could find an eventual Brady replacement and he wasn't it.  

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree.  And don't forget the Patriots weren't afraid to trade him while he was on a cheap contract and Jimmy G was gone.  They obviously thought they could find an eventual Brady replacement and he wasn't it.  

Right now he's just a good back up, but I think he can be better if he improves in the areas I've outlined. 

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Brissett has shown good accuracy. However, I think he has a lot to learn. Seemed to hold the ball forever. Had a hard time making the decision when to throw, and reading a defense.

I understand he was tossed into the fire in his first year with Colts and perhaps these things can be coached up?

Needs to improve on his mental game if we are to win.

• Like 2

i think you want 3 very solid QB's....Brissett has a lot of upside and if given the opportunity to stay in a clean pocket with some QB friendly reads should be more than solid. He's got all the arm talent you want. He doesn't need to run like Mike Vick but he's pretty slippery in the pocket when he needs to be.

i think some undervalue the position during the season the backup QB is doing tons of work. helping your DEF get better week to week. When i think of the Pats they had there DEF going against Brady and Jimmy G so i could see how that defense would play well against QB's who could make accurate throws and throw deep they saw a lot of it. To me Brissett has a lot of Luck in his game. Good and bad parts of it like extending plays when needed but also holding on to the ball entirely too long. I think he's better than Bortles and if i was the jags i would have offered up a decent package to acquire him.

Brissett is a poor man's Andrew Luck, which is why his ceiling is a #2. He thinks he has the wheels of Andrew Luck when he does not. He is big enough to take a hit and deliver a throw, and that is the closest he gets to AL, IMO. Like AL, he needs to be protected by scheme as well. He does have great zip on his ball.

The hope is that a full TC ups his mental game because his reads got worse and indecision got worse as the season went on, IMO. That is why I like the fact that Ballard believes in competition. 

However, with the fact that it is mostly vanilla D in pre-season, how on earth are we going to judge our backup QBs? Brissett, by default, having played a full season as starter, clearly has the leg up on any other backup at this point. I doubt anyone else usurps him for the #2 spot.

Somebody said they would rather have Hasselbeck than Brissett.

But how was Hasselbeck in his first year as a starter?  Wouldn't that be a better way to judge Brissett? Let's also include P Manning and A Luck.

comp%     TD / Int     turnovers     sacks     QB rating

Brissett 2017       58.8         14 / 7          10               52          81.7

Manning 98         56.7         26 / 28        29               22          71.2

Luck     2012       54.1         23 / 18        23               41          76.5

Hass    2001       54.8           7 /8             9               38           70.9

Manning had Marshall Faulk in his prime (1,319 yds rush / 908 yds rec) 86 receptions

• Like 2

23 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

{snip}

I don't know how good Brissett can be as a starter but I would damn sure love him at a back up in our system, for years to come if Luck remains our starter. 

23 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Also if Andrew does come back it could be future trade bait for us down the road if needed. If not then we have a good #2

Well, he was not a 1st rounder, so there is no 5th year option.  We can have him this year, but next year is his last (@ $915,000.00) under contract.  He will want to test FA, and teams wont trade for him unless they fully beleive they can work out a contract.

22 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

We have him cheap for another couple years.  Keep him and trade him near the end of his rookie contract like NE does.

We'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder in the following (next) draft for him).  Garopolo was a 2nd rounder, and NE got a second rounder in the next year draft for him, and JG was showcased well and was a desired commodity.  Got paid. I'm not sure JB gets that kind of attention based upon last year.

Arguably, his value may be highest just before his free agency. I could see us getting a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd if he continues to develop.

It would be nice, but I think it is rainbow colored...  see JG example just  above.

I think this as well.  Trade likely won't happen if we demand too much.

I'd like that, but don't think it will happen unless he lights it up this year (which means Luck isn't playing, which would be bad as well).  Time will tell.

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well, he was not a 1st rounder, so there is no 5th year option.  We can have him this year, but next year is his last (@ $915,000.00) under contract.  He will want to test FA, and teams wont trade for him unless they fully beleive they can work out a contract.

We'd be lucky to get a 3rd rounder in the following (next) draft for him).  Garopolo was a 2nd rounder, and NE got a second rounder in the next year draft for him, and JG was showcased well and was a desired commodity.  Got paid. I'm not sure JB gets that kind of attention based upon last year.

It would be nice, but I think it is rainbow colored...  see JG example just  above.

I think this as well.  Trade likely won't happen if we demand too much.

I'd like that, but don't think it will happen unless he lights it up this year (which means Luck isn't playing, which would be bad as well).  Time will tell.

Brissett will be better than last year.  Its surprising how everyone forgets he was running for his life every play.  Even Andrew struggled with that pressure... all QBs do.  Brissett will be much better with a year's experience under his belt and an OL that can protect him.

other GMs know this and it WILL affect his value.  The way teams spend on unproven QBs, i can see a team or two offering a 2nd or 3rd.  Heck, the Jets gave up 3 to move up only 3 spots to land an unproven QB.  And they really didnt even know WHICH unproven QB they would get.  Some teams get desperate for a starting QB, as we have seen over and over.

if we dont get the trade we want, use him until FA in  2 years.

i think, under the circumstances (which were stacked against him), Brissett performed better than people give him credit for.

21 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

He holds the ball too long and is slow to recognize when a WR is coming open.

Some of that is because he was hammered every play. AND... he has a slow release.

I hope he develops into a great backup........  but I would also say, my confidence, until he proves quite a bit more, is lacking

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Brissett will be better than last year.  Its surprising how everyone forgets he was running for his life every play.  Even Andrew struggled with that pressure... all QBs do.  Brissett will be much better with a year's experience under his belt and an OL that can protect him.

But a team might evaluate their own O line and it just might not be as good as our revamped line.  Thus, last years performance under pressure is on tape, and telling.

other GMs know this and it WILL affect his value.  The way teams spend on unproven QBs, i can see a team or two offering a 2nd or 3rd.  Heck, the Jets gave up 3 to move up only 3 spots to land an unproven QB.  And they really didnt even know WHICH unproven QB they would get.  Some teams get desperate for a starting QB, as we have seen over and over.

Draft QB's in round 1 are cheap, and you control them for a minimum of 5 years.  The price for starting QB's (even unproven) not on a rookie contract are astronomical.

if we dont get the trade we want, use him until FA in  2 years.

i think, under the circumstances (which were stacked against him), Brissett performed better than people give him credit for.

Draft QB's in round 1 are cheap, and you control them for a minimum of 5 years.  Backup QB's are often 2nd and 3rd day picks, have some NFL experience and teams have a fairly decent (yet not perfect) grasp of their ceiling.  JB has much work to develop more than Jimmy Garopolo has.

Everyone forgets that Brissett is still learning. He got thrown to the wolves last year with no history with the team and becoming an immediate starter. MOST players would struggle badly in that situation, Jimmy G. excepted. He learned a great deal last year and will be better this year. The offensive play calling HAS to be better this year as does the O-line. He’ll be fine. Pick some other target.