Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest rookie defensive impact?

dodsworth

Biggest rookie defensive impact 'poll'  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the biggest impact on defense?

11 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

As a situational rusher I think Lewis will have the biggest impact partly because he has the ability to slide inside and wreck havoc. I see him having 5-7 sacks this season. 

Yeah our NASCAR package with a combo of Basham, Turay, Simon and Sheard on the outside with Lewis and Autry causing havoc on the inside should be fun to watch on 3rd downs this year....

• Like 2

I can see a Yannick Ngakue type of rookie season from Kemoko Turay if he can stay healthy. But if I had to bet I would choose the easy answer - Darius Leonard. I loved him in the draft and I think he can be a great 3 downs LB in the league. I think he's pretty much the only defensive player we drafted this year who is likely to be a 3 downs player in year 1 and I think he has the talent to stay on the field on all 3 downs and thus most probably have the biggest impact. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

I can see a Yannick Ngakue type of rookie season from Kemoko Turay if he can stay healthy. But if I had to bet I would choose the easy answer - Darius Leonard. I loved him in the draft and I think he can be a great 3 downs LB in the league. I think he's pretty much the only defensive player we drafted this year who is likely to be a 3 downs player in year 1 and I think he has the talent to stay on the field on all 3 downs and thus most probably have the biggest impact. 

Agreed on Leonard!

Basham, Lewis and Turay will turn into our version of Freeney, Mathis and Brock in a year+ when Sheard and Simon's contracts expire.

Not, I repeat, I am not saying they will be HoF edge rushers but 8-10 sacks a year from each of the trio would be highly productive.

46 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Yeah our NASCAR package with a combo of Basham, Turay, Simon and Sheard on the outside with Lewis and Autry causing havoc on the inside should be fun to watch on 3rd downs this year....

You mean Indy Car package?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HarryTheCat said:

You might even say that Quenton Nelson will be the rookie that has the biggest impact on the defense this year. That upgraded O-line should cut down on the three-and-outs, and keep the D off the field a bit longer. 

And don't forget about the other guard we drafted! Also Cain, Fountain, Hines and other rb. I think ALL our Draft picks and some udfa will have a impact on the D.

Yep. Lewis - Brandon Graham.

Turay - I can see him being like Yannick Ngakoue, except he has better measurables (taller, longer arms, and faster).

Sometimes it is the fight in the dog rather than the dog in the fight...

If you were to tell me a year ago that a 6'2'' 246 lbs DE, with a 4.75 40-yard dash was going to have 12.5 sacks this year, it would have been crazy.

I think Leonard because I do see him as a plug and play day one starter at a position we are incredibly week at.  After hearing an interview the other day on the radio I do feel this kid is going to be the leader of the new defense going forward.  You don't earn the name Manaic for no reason.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Zaire- Mike 

Leonard- will

Adams- Sam

This should be starting three... all rookies, yea but clearly the better fit talent wise and scheme wise

I think Zaire is practice squad bound ... definitely not expecting him to start.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

My vote is for Lewis because I see shades of Robert Mathis in his game.

Thats who i see when i watch him.

he's got that Mathis lean and a similar "chop" at the ball.

i thim Mathis can REALLY help this kid:.

• Like 1

Gonna go with Leonard as the biggest impact but Lewis as the biggest surprise. I was watching some highlights of Nick Bosa recently and Lewis was always around the QB in the highlights. Sometimes Lewis would be the one initially affecting the QB with Bosa cleaning up for the sack. He has a great motor and sneaky athleticism.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BProland85 said:

He doesn’t have near the speed of Mathis. I’d say Lewis is more like a Brandon Graham type of player. 

Or the bend. Turay is probably a better comp...but not quite as athletic.

The only thing Lewis and Mathis have in common is their complete lack of interest in run defense.

I went with Leonard just because he plays a position where he could have the opportunity to make a lot of plays. Outside of Leonard I think Tyquan Lewis has an opportunity to make some plays due to the ability to play all over the line in my opinion. Turay is more raw and I think he is strictly an edge rusher. 

i think all of the def players taken in the 2nd round can make an impact a big impact at that. While its easy to say Leonard since he's going to likely be the WLB and get a ton of reps there but maybe the biggest impact could be one of these late round LB or FA LB's picked up. I will be keeping a close eye on who's turning heads on special times during camp. 

On 5/20/2018 at 12:42 PM, Gocolts-Rolltide said:

Zaire- Mike 

Leonard- will

Adams- Sam

This should be starting three... all rookies, yea but clearly the better fit talent wise and scheme wise

I actually like this configuration a lot, although our season won't start this way.

Certainly Leonard will get the first crack to start, but Adams at SAM (hits like a ton of bricks) and Zaire as the MIKE (leader of the defense for Syracuse for 3 straight years) would be awesome.