Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josina Anderson Tweet

Case

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Welcome to Twitter.   I'm not even on it and I understand it.    

But when people respond to her with "journalism" instead of asking a respectful question then I'm going to shake my head.

Josina Anderson is a responsible journalist.   She's working on something bigger.   She'll reveal her story in her time, not ours.

People asked her respectfully for information and she refused to share what she meant. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thus post makes no sense.   From the first letter of the first word to the last letter of the last word.   No sense at all.

If I didn't know better I would think your account was hacked.    Hope your day gets better.

You are always on the Colts about their handling of the Luck info... 

But then defend this "click bait pseudo-journalism" 

She could have handled this in a more professional way if she was interested in helping to maintain some credibility for the field of real journalism. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Welcome to Twitter.   I'm not even on it and I understand it.    

But when people respond to her with "journalism" instead of asking a respectful question then I'm going to shake my head.

Josina Anderson is a responsible journalist.   She's working on something bigger.   She'll reveal her story in her time, not ours.

Both condescending and contradictory in one post, impressive! 

I get it’s Twitter, but a “responsible journalist” doesn’t dangle a tease for attention like this. You can clearly see from the above that people did ask her politely to substantiate her comments which she declined to do so. Maybe @Steamboat_Shaun was just not ready to disclose his full feelings on the matter yet and was using his “journalism” comment as a hold over till he’s ready. He’s working to his own timeline after all.

Tweet when you have a dam story to tell if you’re going to present yourself as a “responsible” journalist. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

OK, exchange Colts.com with Stephen Holder if that fits better. My point is this is unprofessional nonsense. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in modern media. Throwing innuendos and speculations around like it's nothing but then refusing to clarify what exactly you meant... If you have something to say - SAY IT! 

Again...    you're struggling badly...

This is Twitter...  it's not unprofessional nonsense.   This is happens on twitter 24/7/365.

Josina is either working on a story on the Colts, or maybe on the weird market for safeties.   If you don't like her approach, ignore it.   But this is the world we live in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is Twitter...  it's not unprofessional nonsense.   This is happens on twitter 24/7/365.

Josina is either working on a story on the Colts, or maybe on the weird market for safeties.   If you don't like her approach, ignore it.   But this is the world we live in.

So it doesn’t matter what your position is or what organisation you represent, you can go on record saying whatever you like as it’s only Twitter... 

Gotcha, I’ll be sure to use that as my defense when I get hauled in front of the professional standards committee.

Edited by SteelCityColt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not happening 24/7... at least not by respectable journalists. Josina is using this account in her capacity as an ESPN journalist and reporter and is using it to break news constantly(which is great). But this is horrible journalistic ethics. If she is not ready to clarify her speculations, just don't state them to begin with. What's the value to it? There is zero value to that tweet if you don't share any real information with it... you just ramp up the anxiety of a fanbase for nothing more than attention. If she's working on something bigger, just keep it until you get all your information in hand and you are ready to share the full story. What's the value to this blurb? Tell me... what value did you get out of it? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

She isn't willing to disclose it  --- yet.

She isn't willing to disclose it yet.

Which is pretty much what I predicted.

And for some reason, you had to hit her with "journalism ".    

Shaking my head....

Methinks our friend NCF, the old journalist, is a bit sensitive when it comes to criticizing the media......not that many of them don't have it coming these days. But I can see the argument that Josina is just trying to throw a little intrigue out there about a potential story she has coming. I don't think she's done anything irresponsible. Just trying to stoke some Colts fans' fires.......apparently successfully. :hat:

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So it doesn’t matter what your position is or what organisation you represent, you can go on record saying whatever you like as it’s only Twitter... 

Gotcha, I’ll be sure to use that as my defense when I get hauled in front of the professional standards committee.

Can we not get carried away here.

She made a simple single tweet.   No one has to answer before a board of professional standards for this.

Im not asking you to like this, and neither is Josina.   But this is how she's doing her business.   How you choose to respond is strictly up to you.

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Methinks our friend NCF, the old journalist, is a bit sensitive when it comes to criticizing the media......not that many of them don't have it coming these days. But I can see the argument that Josina is just trying to throw a little intrigue out there about a potential story she has coming. I don't think she's done anything irresponsible. Just trying to stoke some Colts fans' fires.......apparently successfully. :hat:

Pretty much spot on, but I do think people are becoming more attuned to and aware of click bait tactics and there’s more push back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

She made a simple single tweet.   No one has to answer before a board of professional standards for this.

Im not asking you to like this, and neither is Josina.   But this is how she's doing her business.   How you choose to respond is strictly up to you.

Indeed. My way of responding to it is by pointing out how unprofessional and click-baity this way of conducting her business is. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, esmort said:

You are always on the Colts about their handling of the Luck info... 

But then defend this "click bait pseudo-journalism" 

She could have handled this in a more professional way if she was interested in helping to maintain some credibility for the field of real journalism. 

This is the world of Twitter....   she didn't invent it, she's just using it how she thinks is best. 

For all we know it's not even a story about the Colts.   It might be about the weird world of the market for safeties this off season.    Who knows?

When she's got something to share, she will share it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Stephen Holder is the king of this. He tells you something interesting, gives a few teasers, & always finishes his tweet with "story coming soon." Not to say that this is how everyone should approach it, but I find it to be a good method, as I always seem to circle back around for the story once it's up.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It was an analogy, I’m a professional representing an orginisation and industry. How I comport myself on soical media has to reflect the professional behaviours required. If I tweet/post something and didn’t substantiate it when questioned I’d get torn apart by people, including guess who? Local journalists. 

You were the one who chose to fire into people for reacting how they have despite it being “strictly up to them”. 

I guess these days it’s eaiser just to behave poorly and say sorry once a year than act correctly in the first place.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Stephen Holder is the king of this. He tells you something interesting, gives a few teasers, & always finishes his tweet with "story coming soon." Not to say that this is how everyone should approach it, but I find it to be a good method, as I always seem to circle back around for the story once it's up.

Bingo.. but let’s not pass it off as responsible journalism. It’s marketing pure and simple. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Oh, here we go again....

Ive said since the day I arrived that I have no problem with anyone criticizing the media.    Have at it.   I do it.    The media world today is totally different than the one I worked in.

But at least have some idea how the world works...   the posts in this thread are filled with spectacular nonsense from some very smart people who are frustrated because they're not getting the news they want when they want it.  

This has had spiraled out of control.   And these kind of threads typically happen in the off-season when there's little to talk about and no game for months.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SteelCityColt said:

Bingo.. but let’s not pass it off as responsible journalism. It’s marketing pure and simple. 

I'm not sure I'd call it "irresponsible" either. I live in Colorado, and I'm not sitting on Indystar.com all day waiting for the new Stephen Holder or Zak Keefer story to drop. I'll see his tweet, click through, read the story, & close the tab when I'm finished. When all is said & done, he reaches a reader that lives across the country, & I'm able to handpick the content that I consume. I see it as a win-win.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is the world of Twitter....   she didn't invent it, she's just using it how she thinks is best. 

For all we know it's not even a story about the Colts.   It might be about the weird world of the market for safeties this off season.    Who knows?

When she's got something to share, she will share it.

I agree with your assessment, though I wish it weren't so.  I wonder if social media does more harm then good in the overall picture of news desemination. 

Personally, I'm old school so I don't care for social media as a way to get accurate news.  But many do.  It's so easy to repeat and recycle tweets, etc, that before you know it, it takes on a life of its own and opinions are formed based on what could be nothing.  It's also an easy way for people to gain a following that is undeserved. 

But it is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not sure I'd call it "irresponsible" either. I live in Colorado, and I'm not sitting on Indystar.com all day waiting for the new Stephen Holder or Zak Keefer story to drop. I'll see his tweet, click through, read the story, & close the tab when I'm finished. When all is said & done, he reaches a reader that lives across the country, & I'm able to handpick the content that I consume. I see it as a win-win.

Just referencing the previous description.

To clarify, the tweet is what it is and serves the purpose it’s intended to. The annoyance came from making it out to be something else in an over zealous defense.

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, here we go again....

Ive said since the day I arrived that I have no problem with anyone criticizing the media.    Have at it.   I do it.    The media world today is totally different than the one I worked in.

But at least have some idea how the world works...   the posts in this thread are filled with spectacular nonsense from some very smart people who are frustrated because they're not getting the news they want when they want it.  

This has had spiraled out of control.   And these kind of threads typically happen in the off-season when there's little to talk about and no game for months.

No. I think you have it completely wrong here. And you continue to misconstrue what our problem with it is. This is not about us "not getting the news we want when we want it". This is about unprofessional behavior from a supposedly professional journalist. I have absolutely nothing against her keeping her story(if there is any) until she decides she has all the information she needs to go public with whatever it is... or if nothing comes out of it, to not go public with it at all. What I have a problem is that middle ground where you throw out mud against the fan but don't share ANY information of substance whatsoever, only vague innuendos with zero positive value and plenty of negative associated with it.

Now a whole fanbase is wondering what this was about - are our two safeties with serious injury history OK? Was it about them? Is Ballard doing something shady with prospective FAs? Is this about Eric Reid? Is it something about our roster construction? Now we don't know anything, but Josina felt good enough to plant the seed that there is something 'interesting' going on there that's worth drawing attention to, but not worth illuminating... yet. Well I call nonsense on that and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that journalists do that since there are obviously others from the guild that defend this behavior as something normal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Is anyone else tired of this "tweeting" nonsense????????  

I don't mind it when it is used with a little responsibility....

... Quick instant observations from training camp... 

... Trades, signings, etc....

...breaking news... 

... I can even get on board with a legitimate teaser: ex: "just talked with player X about Y; read my full story tomorrow on NFL, ESPN, etc..." 

It's the "maybe I know something, and I may or may not expand on it... Follow me just in case" just to get followers, clicks, or to promote themselves... or they say something outrageous just to hope it sticks or gets retweets... That's the stuff I don't like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, stitches said:

This is what passes for journalism these days... "I'm gonna make some vague innuendo that shows that I'm in-the-know and privy to information the commonfolk doesn't have, but I won't state what I mean explicitly so as to preserve plausible deniability and so I won't risk my reputation in case I get called out on my nonsense when it turns out my assumptions turned out to be incorrect" 

If you have something to say, say it! If you don't, why say anything? 

Its because they generally don't have anything meaningful to say, because they don't have any real news to share. 

Or, if they are working on a real story, they can't just wait until the end. They still need to say something during the process just to maintain interest.  

1 hour ago, stitches said:

No. I think you have it completely wrong here. And you continue to misconstrue what our problem with it is. This is not about us "not getting the news we want when we want it". This is about unprofessional behavior from a supposedly professional journalist. I have absolutely nothing against her keeping her story(if there is any) until she decides she has all the information she needs to go public with whatever it is... or if nothing comes out of it, to not go public with it at all. What I have a problem is that middle ground where you throw out mud against the fan but don't share ANY information of substance whatsoever, only vague innuendos with zero positive value and plenty of negative associated with it.

Now a whole fanbase is wondering what this was about - are our two safeties with serious injury history OK? Was it about them? Is Ballard doing something shady with prospective FAs? Is this about Eric Reid? Is it something about our roster construction? Now we don't know anything, but Josina felt good enough to plant the seed that there is something 'interesting' going on there that's worth drawing attention to, but not worth illuminating... yet. Well I call nonsense on that and I guess I shouldn't be surprised that journalists do that since there are obviously others from the guild that defend this behavior as something normal. 

Its the beginning of a soap opera. 

Its that Ballard doesn't get along with Reich and is going to start making lineup prescriptions at safety.  Well, we actually like Ballard's personality so I guess nobody will want to believe that rumor.

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Maybe she is finally answering a burning question I’ve had for a while:  

Is the past tense of using twitter called twatted?  

In her case, yes.

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its the beginning of a soap opera. 

Its that Ballard doesn't get along with Reich and is going to start making lineup prescriptions at safety.  Well, we actually like Ballard's personality so I guess nobody will want to believe that rumor.

In her case, yes.

Wow....

You've now added "sexist" to being wrong.

That's an impressive combination....

Congratulations!

2 hours ago, esmort said:

I don't mind it when it is used with a little responsibility....

... Quick instant observations from training camp... 

... Trades, signings, etc....

...breaking news... 

... I can even get on board with a legitimate teaser: ex: "just talked with player X about Y; read my full story tomorrow on NFL, ESPN, etc..." 

It's the "maybe I know something, and I may or may not expand on it... Follow me just in case" just to get followers, clicks, or to promote themselves... or they say something outrageous just to hope it sticks or gets retweets... That's the stuff I don't like. 

THIS....    I think is a fair and reasonable post.....    Wanted to point it out and say thanks,  I appreciate it.

Unfortunately,  it's one of the few in this thread.

Things get crazy in the off-season.    This thread is just the latest example.

I am going out on a limb here.  Let's see could it b because one safety is coming off an ACL injury and the other can't stay on the field? Plus, Hooker was coming out of college with concerns about possibly being a little fragile.  Wouldn't shock me if both didn't finish the season. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, here we go again....

I waited a while to respond. Really, I think you are missing the reason for the negative reaction. So many people are sick and tired of the amateurish and often dishonest postings of so called journalists that they are completely jaundiced when someone posts a “provacative” story. They tend not to believe their premise and automatically suspect they are just spewing nonsense to get a reaction. I get that. But it can also be an over reaction. Sometimes a legit writer gets whacked. Such is the world we live in. Experienced old writers like you need to remember that and give these people a break. This board is a great group of diverse opinions that I love reading. Let’s keep it going. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I waited a while to respond. Really, I think you are missing the reason for the negative reaction. So many people are sick and tired of the amateurish and often dishonest postings of so called journalists that they are completely jaundiced when someone posts a “provacative” story. They tend not to believe their premise and automatically suspect they are just spewing nonsense to get a reaction. I get that. But it can also be an over reaction. Sometimes a legit writer gets whacked. Such is the world we live in. Experienced old writers like you need to remember that and give these people a break. This board is a great group of diverse opinions that I love reading. Let’s keep it going. 

We're talking about Josina Anderson of ESPN.    I'm not aware that she doesn't have a great reputation.    And she's pretty much getting trashed up and down this thread.     We're not trashing a new young reporter from Bleacher Report who clearly doesn't know what they're doing.   

This thead has spun out of control like many off-season threads do.    People go crazy not getting as much info as they'd like during this time.  A lot of very smart people said a lot of silly things in this thread.   These type of threads are common in the off-season.    It's been this way every year I've been here and this is year 6 now.   This is not something new.