Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CB Bashaud Breeland likely to sign with Colts

TKnight24

10 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I think we can all agree that, if healthy, he would be a "good get" at this point of the offseason....simple as that. 

He absolutely would be. As many have already said, he’s a for sure upgrade. Only reason he’s still Around is because he can’t pass a physical due to his foot injury. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is, IMO he is not above average. He has never rated above average.

Is he any better that Desir, Milton, Moore or Wilson?  I am not too sure about that myself.

You don't have to be too sure about.

Chris Ballard does, and he apparently disagrees with you.

• Like 1

Personally I think Desir, Wilson, and Hairston can handle it with the style we will play. However I wont complain at all about another proven young vet being added to the mix. While I dont think Breeland is a high level cover guy I wont fix my mouth to place him in the class of White and Milton. Breeland is much better than those two. I just happen to think Desir will give him a run for his money if not beat him. And he will be getting a much bigger check than Pierre. I could be wrong but those are my thoughts...

• Like 1

I think wilson is so close to being a stud.....i really watched him when he was on the field.   He had some picks and was always right there when the ball was thrown his way.  If his hands were a quarter inch  up or down he would have knocked most of the balls thrown his way down.   Alot of those balls thrown his way had to be absolutely perfect.    Adding breeland would be great.  Nice compliment to wilson.

2 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

He absolutely would be. As many have already said, he’s a for sure upgrade. Only reason he’s still Around is because he can’t pass a physical due to his foot injury. 

You say that like it isn't a big deal...

Don't get me wrong, If he is healthy I think he's a great fit for the scheme, but you have to be on the field to make a difference....

• Thanks 1

The only thing not left to conjecture about the man's value is the fact that the 7 pages on this topic indicates at least a concern about the corner position. It is Ballard's job to figure out that value and make an offer or not.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Is he playing hard to get or is he pulling a McDaniels on us?

Hard to tell.....

Is there no deal yet because Ballard wants Breeland's price to come down?

Or....

Because Ballard wants Breeland's infection to heal more before committing?

It'll be interesting to see if a signing gets done this week...

Adding Breeland would give us much needed experience and a proven CB. Right now we don’t have any proven CBs on our roster. The 9 CBs on our roster have combined for 28 starts while Breeland has started 58 out of 60 games in his career. He’s not great or amazing, but he is a solid veteran piece. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 5/19/2018 at 6:49 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

No. When you rate him as a Colt you must look at the current crop of Colt CBs and his status as a top FA before his injury and the potential he could provide 

The problem is that his potential - in my and apparently cazycolt's opinion - is not higher than an average starter. What message you sent to the locker room if you sign a veteran who is not better than Desir/Moore, and you still pay him MORE than you refused to pay for Melvin after his top20 season?

If you pay 6-7 million for a player, you will have to start him. So Desir/Moore will be relegated back to rotation. I'm leaning towards to give them a chance to fight for the starting #2 CB spot. They played well last season, they kinda deserve it.

3 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

What message you sent to the locker room if you sign a veteran who is not better than Desir/Moore, and you still pay him MORE than you refused to pay for Melvin after his top20 season?

I think this is an important aspect that some have forgotten or have never understood about Ballards approach to FA. Some have written Ballard off as a cheapskate or worse as "not even trying to improve the team" due to his FA approach. 

Ballard is obviously trying to address the lack of talent AND the state of the locker room he inherited & he is obviously using the "competition" approach he has been preaching along the way to address both...

So hopefully if Breeland is brought in, all of the specifics will fall in line with this philosophy, because while its important to be consistent, the team could also use some help at the CB position...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I went back and looked at Melvin's contract with Oakland.

1 yr. 5.5 mil. .....

It's almost like the Colts and 30 other teams didn't want him at any price.

Can anyone explain this?

It’s been said that we offered more and he took less from Oakland.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, egg said:

1 yr. 5.5 mil. .....

Can anyone explain this?.... It's almost like nobody wanted him....Why not?

He is 28 and had only 1 good year. He wanted more than a prove it deal,  which Ballard probably offered him. He didn't get what he wanted, and had to sign for even less. He was wrong with estimating his market value apparently.

Anyway, if he plays well, I think he'll get a nice contract extension before the season ends. Just what and who Philly gave an extension for Jeffery. (I think Ballard's offer is something similar for Breeland. One year, and if he proves he is worth it, he might get an extension late in (or after) the season.)

51 minutes ago, egg said:

1 yr. 5.5 mil. .....

It's almost like the Colts and 30 other teams didn't want him at any price.

Can anyone explain this?

He didn't get the offer he wanted from us, took a prove it feal from Oakland (and didn't give us a chance to match) because his pride was hurt.

Breeland is a young proven starter in this league.  He earned his 3yr. 24m contract.  Unfortunate circumstances cost him to fail his physical.  Comparing him to Melvin is apples vs. oranges.  Melvin signed a 1yr. prove it deal for a reason.  He's 28 with one good year.  Breeland doesn't need a prove it deal.  I believe he was a 4yr. starter.  If he's healthy he should get a contract longer than one year.  If we want him we should sign him to a fair contract and not take advantage of the situation.  I would much rather have a player who is happy with his contract than one who feels a team is taking advantage of the situation and making him prove himself all over again.  That would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  If we do it the right way I believe we will get a great return on our investment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s been said that we offered more and he took less from Oakland.

59 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

He is 28 and had only 1 good year. He wanted more than a prove it deal,  which Ballard probably offered him. He didn't get what he wanted, and had to sign for even less. He was wrong with estimating his market value apparently.

Anyway, if he plays well, I think he'll get a nice contract extension before the season ends. Just what and who Philly gave an extension for Jeffery. (I think Ballard's offer is something similar for Breeland. One year, and if he proves he is worth it, he might get an extension late in (or after) the season.)

11 minutes ago, esmort said:

He didn't get the offer he wanted from us, took a prove it feal from Oakland (and didn't give us a chance to match) because his pride was hurt.

Thanks for responding...It still seems very odd to me...

On 5/19/2018 at 3:22 PM, richard pallo said:

Exactly.  We don't have too many young four year starters on our team period.  He received a nice contract from Carolina before he failed the physical and rightly deserved.  He is a proven and capable starter in this league and would certainly start unless Desir has a huge preseason.  I hope it all works out and we sign him.  We could certainly use another proven veteran CB in our secondary and he would be a real nice addition at this time of the year.  

Yeah let's sign the next Godser Cherilus, Arthur Jones. He is too high risk unless he takes a one year prove it contract with incentives. 4.5 mil with a possible 2 mil bonus for performance. Otherwise he's high risk average reward.

15 minutes ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

Yeah let's sign the next Godser Cherilus, Arthur Jones. He is too high risk unless he takes a one year prove it contract with incentives. 4.5 mil with a possible 2 mil bonus for performance. Otherwise he's high risk average reward.

Not sure you even realize he hurt himself in the off season.   NOT playing football.

He cut his foot and it became infected.   As for football -- he plays.   57 out of 64 games he has started.   He's only missed 7 games in 4 years.

From a football perspective,  he's no more risky than anyone else.

That said...    at this point, I think you're likely to get your wish on a contract.   1-year with incentives.

"Can be beat by speed, but understandable due to athletic constraints. Occasionally can be a liability in zone coverage at times. Could work on prevent over-pursuits or biting on offensive baits.

Very little attempts at stealing the ball. Only interception of 2017 came off errant throw. Needs to be more aggressive at the ball and try and create turnovers.

Solid (press / man) cover corner, but won’t surpass high-end CB2 status without good ball-hawking ability."

Hmmm.... Maybe he doesn't sound like a zone Tampa/Cover 2 type CB to me...

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

"Can be beat by speed, but understandable due to athletic constraints. Occasionally can be a liability in zone coverage at times. Could work on prevent over-pursuits or biting on offensive baits.

Very little attempts at stealing the ball. Only interception of 2017 came off errant throw. Needs to be more aggressive at the ball and try and create turnovers.

Solid (press / man) cover corner, but won’t surpass high-end CB2 status without good ball-hawking ability."

Wow.  I agree with your assessment if that is a recent eval of him.  Where did you get that and what's the date?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This is why I said he was nothing to get excited about but there seems to be a few who disagree with me.

I can see the value of bringing in Breeland overall and I'd welcome the addition as being a good improvement to our DB corps.   I mean to be very honest he's probably the best veteran corner left on the market.   He's got better stats than any corner we have on this roster as of today. I've said that I think Pierre could give him a run for his money and I stand on that based on what I saw last year. I will say Pierre doesn't have Breelands numbers when it comes to proven production at any part of his career.  Honestly previous to last year Pierre struggled to even get a respectable number of reps.  My only contention with Breeland is the price tag for the services.  I'm not certain that he's worth 8 mil a year, but of course I'm not writing the checks.  That's up to Ballard and what he feels the guy is worth. 

That little article snippett I think is a bit misleading in some ways.    He's averaged at least 2 interceptions every year and 3 in 2015. 2017 was the lowest amount of picks he's had.   The article snippett says "occasionally" can be a liability in zone.   But I don't know of any corner who isn't "occasionally" beaten in zone coverage.  I don't think the statement is an indicator that he's not a Tampa 2 corner.   I think he'd fit the system we run just fine.  I'm just interested to see what Ballard thinks he's worth.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 6:37 PM, Chucklez said:

You say that like it isn't a big deal...

Don't get me wrong, If he is healthy I think he's a great fit for the scheme, but you have to be on the field to make a difference....

It’s not a career ending injury. It’s not like he might lose his foot. 

On 5/19/2018 at 5:54 PM, Jbatc18 said:

He had some picks

he had one pick,  on a hail mary on the last play of the season.  it was a terrible throw, the QB was just throwing up a prayer really

i  agree that he was usually in good position, but he often did not make the play.  if he fixes that he will be a good player 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure you even realize he hurt himself in the off season.   NOT playing football.

He cut his foot and it became infected.   As for football -- he plays.   57 out of 64 games he has started.   He's only missed 7 games in 4 years.

From a football perspective,  he's no more risky than anyone else.

That said...    at this point, I think you're likely to get your wish on a contract.   1-year with incentives.

I'm aware of how he was injured by a golf cart, but it happened where he also had an injury as a child. He was released and passed on for a reason. I'm just comparing him to those players because that is how I see his career panning out. He is high risk, where the very act of running can cause re injury. He isn't worth full price and you know it.

54 minutes ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

I'm aware of how he was injured by a golf cart, but it happened where he also had an injury as a child. He was released and passed on for a reason. I'm just comparing him to those players because that is how I see his career panning out. He is high risk, where the very act of running can cause re injury. He isn't worth full price and you know it.

Riiiight.....

He injured his foot when he was 10....    and it didn't bother him again until he was 25, in an accident that he suffered while NOT playing football.

He's not going to get a big contract because the Colts are the last team standing...   Ballard likely won't bid against himself.    Breeland will likely get a one year prove it deal that may have some incentives.

54 minutes ago, TouchdownMonkey said:

I guess I am a real smart guy because of the multiple freak accidents off the field that cost me multiple weeks of athletic competition 

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Riiiight.....

He injured his foot when he was 10....    and it didn't bother him again until he was 25, in an accident that he suffered while NOT playing football.

He's not going to get a big contract because the Colts are the last team standing...   Ballard likely won't bid against himself.    Breeland will likely get a one year prove it deal that may have some incentives.

I going to say 2 years

4 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

It’s not a career ending injury. It’s not like he might lose his foot. 

No, I doubt he will lose his foot.... but that injury / infection has been lingering for a while now and he still apparently can't pass a physical. It just doesn't smell right and I'd approach with caution.

32 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

No, I doubt he will lose his foot.... but that injury / infection has been lingering for a while now and he still apparently can't pass a physical. It just doesn't smell right and I'd approach with caution.

Even if Ballard was interested he wouldn't sign him till he passed a physical.

42 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Might be gangrene in that case.