Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sirianni's written tests to players

Fat Clemenza

1 minute ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I barely made a comparison, you blew it up. I happened to like him, but Im sure many would agree that it was time for a change, hence me supporting the changes and tactics being implemented by Reich and Co. mentioned in OP.

The thing is right now even after two Ballard drafts and a new coaching crew in place most feel this team will be lucky to win 8 games. But with that said Pagano was expected to get this team into the playoffs with a worse team than we have right now. And when he couldn't it was all on him. Now how much sense does that make?

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Please bring back Pagano with his monster defense and quarterback killing offense. 

:sarcasm:

I haven't been this excited for a season to start in at least 5 years with the Ballard/Reich combo.

While we are at it Grigson is looking for a job.

2 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Didn't Grigson hire Pagano or was that Irsay's idea?

It don't matter. It's all water under the bridge but beating a dead horse does nothing at this point.

Comparing that era to this era is a mute point but some just want to keep bringing up the past like it makes any difference.

11 hours ago, krunk said:

He berated them in Denver

Some level of cognitive recall is fine just not humiliation masquerading as superior intelligence. That's why McDaniels got the boot in Denver. Josh thought he was BB. Guess again. 

It just bothers me that the media goes bananas over the Patriots. Philly beat them in the SB & the Eagles don't act like humiliation is the perfect way to pass on knowledge & alertness.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Life is a test. :D

True, but BB has lost 3 SBs now in the Brady era. Perhaps, the Hoodie needs to be tested himself. 

I'm not saying Bill is declining just that he's not immune from evaluation either as a HC once in awhile. 

I know he's never been receptive to being questioned. Nobody is above scrutiny not even a HOF coach. 

• Like 1

As far as Frank instituting some level of personal accountability among INDY's active roster, it's probably a good idea. 

You can tell who's trying to master their assignments vs guys who do the bare minimum to scrape by. 

It's a delicate balance though between awareness & paralysis by over analysis. Peyton suffered from that sometimes. Too much information can cripple you & prevent the game from coming to you naturally as an athlete. 

I'm not blaming #18 given the tremendous burden he carried as the face of our franchise & the pressure thrust on his shoulders. 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just maybe Ballard's board was different than what some media guy said they were?  Calling Ballard dishonest when you really don't have a clue what his board looked like is not exactly a true statement.

You are correct, of course, I have no clue about his board.  I only know what was said before and after the draft, and what he did during the draft.

Before the draft (talking to Peter King, and this is not the only time he said things like this):

"We’ll make sure we’re taking the best player in the round. Now there’s always core positions that you’re going to look for, pass rushers, tackles, corners, those are always going to be front-line positions and they’re going to go fast...But we’ll always be looking for those core positions and we’ll always, always be looking for the best player.”

During the draft: Ballard drafts guards with 2 of his top three picks, and picks OL/ DL with 4 of his 5 first picks, taking 0 tackles or corners.

After the draft this is what Ballard and his staff have to say:

- Chris Ballard: "“Now I’m going to tell you all, I have dreamt about this, being able to be in charge of a draft and draft o-line [and] d-line. I mean, it’s what I believe."

- Morocco Brown: "We were thinking about the fronts, and when we squeezed the blood out of the turnip, let’s go and pick the best guy available at each round." "We really wanted to upgrade both sides of the ball on the front. Because in the NFL, if you can’t block the opposing team, you’re in trouble. That was the emphasis we harped on...."

- Frank Reich: "Chris and I share the same philosophy that it starts up front... the reason there was a championship in Philadelphia last year was because of the fronts on both sides of the ball."

That doesn't sound like people trying to convince us they just followed their board and took BPA.  Leonard seems likely BPA, but when talking about Smith and Turay, Ballard didn't mention his board, he mentioned how they wouldn't have lasted much longer.  He was fixing his lines.

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But Ballard gave off a very nice head fake.     That's how I took Clemanza's meaning.

Thank you NCF, really appreciate you stepping in and putting out your perspective!!!

Absolutely CB gave a head fake.  Personally, I'm thrilled (see my sig).   I am not calling Ballard dishonest, I think he's smart,  actually surprisingly up front in general, right or wrong, he at least has a well-considered philosophical approach to drafting and free agency.  A refreshing change from Grigson and Chris Polian.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Some level of cognitive recall is fine just not humiliation masquerading as superior intelligence. That's why McDaniels got the boot in Denver. Josh thought he was BB. Guess again. 

It just bothers me that the media goes bananas over the Patriots. Philly beat them in the SB & the Eagles don't act like humiliation is the perfect way to pass on knowledge & alertness.  

The thing with BB is according to ex Patriot players who have spoken about BB is he is not this hard core guy we see him portray to the media. Yes, the Patriots are tough to play for and expect a lot from their players but it is a simple philosophy, just do your job. If you don't we will get someone who will. That is the philosophy all NFL GMs needs to take.

I like what Bill Parcell's said. He said each player needs different things to motivate him. Some need yelled at while some need to be just left alone. A pat on the back or a kick in the tail. The key is the coaches have to know their players good enough to know what works to get the most out of them.

With Ballard drafting so many team leaders and captains hopefully the team can police themselves especially with a new coaching staff.

• Thanks 1

These are young guys out there playing in pressure situations in front of millions of viewers,  They may forget the snap count, their assignment on the play, etc...a young RB might get Luck killed if he doesn't know who he blocks.  Passing a test solidifies confidence during crunch time.  You can concentrate on execution.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing with BB is according to ex Patriot players who have spoken about BB is he is not this hard core guy we see him portray to the media. Yes, the Patriots are tough to play for and expect a lot from their players but it is a simple philosophy, just do your job. If you don't we will get someone who will. That is the philosophy all NFL GMs needs to take.

I like what Bill Parcell's said. He said each player needs different things to motivate him. Some need yelled at while some need to be just left alone. A pat on the back or a kick in the tail. The key is the coaches have to know their players good enough to know what works to get the most out of them.

With Ballard drafting so many team leaders and captains hopefully the team can police themselves especially with a new coaching staff.

That seems to be reasonable & yes, not every guy responds to the same technique or approach. Self policing is hard though with such massive turnover under the Ballard regime, but with mentors like Robert Mathis & Reggie Wayne INDY should be fine. 

Regarding BB, perhaps he has addressed the SB loss to the Eagles with NE's locker room already. I know losing that game is always a tough pill to swallow given how hard it is to even get there. I'm not looking for a pound of flesh here. Just an acknowledgement from Bill that in hindsight it was a mistake not to have given Malcolm Butler any defensive snaps in the SB. Pride is a dangerous thing & the minute you refuse to admit the obvious; your team is in trouble. Leadership from the top matters. They set the tone & a little humility goes a long way. A sign of strength vs weakness. 

I will always respect BB. I'm just saying this upcoming season is very different because of how relaxed he treated the Eagles last time & no one is under estimating Philly now even the gray hoodie himself. 

Like Marvin said "you get paid to practice"...and take tests. :) 

Peyton being on the same page as his wide outs was a big part of the success of our offense during his era. Luck needs to enjoy the same, and this is about establishing a culture of accountability for everyone. I cannot wait till Luck starts calling his own audibles in this new offense eventually.

I very much like it!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I love everything about this article! A lot of people seem to ignore that talent can only take you so far and that football IQ is huge in the NFL.

GEE, i have come come to believe that if you are a fan of any sport you should get that the really good players have a great understanding of their game. Think fast, play fast. 
  Keep the pressure on the players so they feel compelled to keep their heads in the playbook and to study TONS of film.
 I'm thinking we had a CB that failed to live up to his professional duties last season. And i have a strong feeling slackers won't fit well going forward.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, krunk said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4785550/with-unfamiliar-foe-on-tap-patriots-bill-belichick-is-professor-like-with-pop-quizzes-for-players

"So if a player intends to stay with the Patriots, he’d better not let his play or mental preparation decline. And if it does, Belichick will be the first to find out with his pop quizzes, detail-oriented approach to film study and incredible observational skills at practice."

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2016/11/08/whats-it-like-to-play-for-bill-belichick/

McDaniels berates players and, like Mangini, gives pop quizzes. The idea: Fear and shame produce motivation and improvement. Does it work? "It just makes players miserable," one NFL veteran says.

https://www.si.com/vault/2009/10/19/105867445/the-young-and-the-tactless

This to me is kind of the approach Bobby Knight had. He wrote a whole book on it. Doesn't surprise me since he and Bill Parcells are best friends and started at Army together and we know how the Army motivates its men during basic training etc. Belichick being a Parcells disciple probably learned a lot from that. The basic premise is that fear of failure or disappointment is a greater motivator then positivity. A lot more to it but that's just a tid bit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/basketball/2013/03/04/bob-knight-new-book/1963405/

Quote from book: On the kind of people who don't make good leaders: "Tolerant people do not make good leaders. Successful leadership is being hard to please – and your players or employees know it. They will settle for what you tolerate. A great leader is an intolerant one."