Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

May 16th, 2018: Day 500

TKnight24

This is a false statement. And it all now makes sense why fans of other teams are mostly clueless about Andrew Luck 

October 12th, 2017. Here’s Andrew Luck throwing a football before they IR’d him last season 

:coltshelmet:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everyone else is clueless because we don't do a good job of controlling our own message.

eh, I'd place more blame on Irsay/Grigson/Pagano for that.

Ballard has pretty much been on damage control since he got the job.

43 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

This is a false statement. And it all now makes sense why fans of other teams are mostly clueless about Andrew Luck 

October 12th, 2017. Here’s Andrew Luck throwing a football before they IR’d him last season 

:coltshelmet:

I'm going to guess and say that the video is missing some context.  They are probably talking about the last time Luck threw in an actual game.  Simms is right though, there is more than likely going to be a fair amount of rust that Luck will have to work through.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everyone else is clueless because we don't do a good job of controlling our own message.

I understand the importance of the team controlling their message. They’re making themselves look bad.

But honestly, as a fan who follows the team deeply, I could care less how they control the message regarding his shoulder. What the rest of the league thinks isn’t gonna make Andrew Luck’s shoulder heal any slower.

• Like 2

I get that this is wrong and misleading, but I get the narrative. Luck hasn't thrown in a game scenario in almost 500 days. Not to mention in the very tweet where Luck is throwing we have the "sources say team expecting return next week" statement, which obviously didn't come true, regardless of what we thought at the time.

I don't think anybody has looked good in this situation. And nobody, or at least barely anybody, outside of our fanbase is going to believe Luck is okay until he comes back and plays a full season without issue. And rightfully so IMO.

• Like 1

I had been referencing that video every time someone says how long they think it has been since he had picked up a football. Sports like everything is mostly mental. If his shoulder is good I personally am optimistic. Currently it's trendy to say he is done or be pessimistic..... and you know how this country and media can follow a trend right off the cliff.

5 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I'm going to guess and say that the video is missing some context.  They are probably talking about the last time Luck threw in an actual game.  Simms is right though, there is more than likely going to be a fair amount of rust that Luck will have to work through.

I listened to the entire segment. They clearly hadn't done any research and sounded like dummies. Their genuine insistence was that Luck hasn't thrown a football or done anything remotely similar to throwing a football since January 2017.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I get that this is technically wrong and misleading, but I get it. Luck hasn't thrown in a game scenario in almost 500 days. Not to mention in the very tweet where Luck is throwing we have the "sources say team expecting return next week" statement, which obviously didn't come true, regardless of what we thought at the time.

I don't think anybody has looked good in this situation. And nobody, or at least barely anybody, outside of our fanbase is going to believe Luck is okay until he comes back and plays a full season without issue. And rightfully so IMO.

I don't think there is any way for anybody to look good in this situation and it's not because of anything Ballard or any other decisionmaker has done or said really(maybe except for Irsay's initial optimistic comments, but come on - this is not even that unusual - everybody is usually optimistic after a supposedly successful surgery). When your QB misses a full season after being expected to be back for the start of it and half the way through the next off-season he's still not thrown a football, you cannot look good. There is no way in hell anybody can make this look good. Someone above said we have done poor job controlling the message. There's no way to have good control over the message over this prolonged period of time. I see no reasonable path to controlling the message to the point where there would be no swirling doubts and speculations about Luck's health in this situation. 

And IMO noone is to blame really. It's just a crappy situation. Sometimes just bad things happen in the most inopportune moments and out of your control(the Luck setback in October). You take your lumps and power through and hopefully Luck doesn't suffer any more setbacks because if he does, then... then... the % is really going to hit the fan in the media. 

The last thing the Colts should be concerned with right now is how this looks mid-May. In the broad scheme of things looking good right now, in this moment, doesn't matter. Let the talking heads talk. What matters is whether Luck is throwing on Sept 9th and 16th and 23d, etc..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think there is any way for anybody to look good in this situation and it's not because of anything Ballard or any other decisionmaker has done or said really(maybe except for Irsay's initial optimistic comments, but come on - this is not even that unusual - everybody is usually optimistic after a supposedly successful surgery). When your QB misses a full season after being expected to be back for the start of it and half the way through the next off-season he's still not thrown a football, you cannot look good. There is no way in hell anybody can make this look good. Someone above said we have done poor job controlling the message. There's no way to have good control over the message over this prolonged period of time. I see no reasonable path to controlling the message to the point where there would be no swirling doubts and speculations about Luck's health in this situation. 

And IMO noone is to blame really. It's just a crappy situation. Sometimes just bad things happen in the most inopportune moments and out of your control(the Luck setback in October). You take your lumps and power through and hopefully Luck doesn't suffer any more setbacks because if he does, then... then... the % is really going to hit the fan in the media. 

The last thing the Colts should be concerned with right now is how this looks mid-May.

Yeah there’s a reason I didn’t use the word blame. I’m not at odds with anything you’re saying.

I’m not worried about controlling the message. I was just simply saying people outside our fan base think he’s either not coming back or diminished, and I get why. I don’t think there’s any sort of message we could put out there that would help that, and I don’t really care because like you said, all that matters is if he comes back strong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah there’s a reason I didn’t use the word blame. I’m not at odds with anything you’re saying.

I’m also not worried about controlling the message. I was just simply saying people outside our fan base reasonably think he’s either not coming back or diminished, and I get why. I don’t think there’s any sort of “message” we could put out there that would help that, and I don’t really care because like you said, all that matters is if he comes back strong. 

Just for the record - I just used your post as a jump off point for my mini-rant, not that I found something specifically wrong with it. Sorry if it looked like it was aimed at you. It was more general frustrations with the way the media is covering the story. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Superman said:

I listened to the entire segment. They clearly hadn't done any research and sounded like dummies. Their genuine insistence was that Luck hasn't thrown a football or done anything remotely similar to throwing a football since January 2017.

Ah, that does seem dumb then. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and figured they meant last game instance.

Most are Clueless about Lucky?   None more than the Homer's here.
  How will his transition go from being a ball holding, Robo Bomber, to a quick decision making, highly accurate, throwing into tight windows QB.
  Game on for Lucky, and of course he owes it to Irsay not to skip steps along the way to earning his $$ on the field.

14 hours ago, Cynjin said:

It’s Luck though, so the rust will wear off rather quickly. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Most are Clueless about Lucky?   None more than the Homer's here.
  How will his transition go from being a ball holding, Robo Bomber, to a quick decision making, highly accurate, throwing into tight windows QB.
  Game on for Lucky, and of course he owes it to Irsay not to skip steps along the way to earning his $$ on the field.

I will say everyone is clueless for the most part for sure.

I see him transitioning just fine.  Watch games where we go into a hurry up offense and he does just that.  Quick throws and quick decisions, in small windows.  We typically have the best offensive movement when we do this as well, imagine that! He will be just fine in this offense that allows for a better all-around scheme and play calling (hopefully).

I don't really have a problem with them saying this. There is tossing (sideline warm-ups for example)...and then there is throwing (live action, 7 on 7s, etc.). As far as we have seen, Luck has only done the former...and that was one time back in October. I feel like Simms sort of makes that distinction at the end as well.

I think of it like pitching...even if it's not the exact same. I pitched until my early 20s...and there was plenty of structured tossing (short toss and even long toss) and throwing (BP session)...and they were definitely different activities.

There was the story of Luck shredding the Colts defense in drills, but we don't really know what that entailed. So I guess that could count. But obviously he wasn't able to do so without pain.

And with Luck, I am not as concerned as much about being able to actually throw a football. It's whether he can do it in live action and with no pain. They don't seem to think he might not be ready to do this...and are (correctly) being cautious and having him build up his strength.