Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign S Michael Cirino, release CB Kenneth Acker

TKnight24

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He is listed on the NFL draft site as a CB

I get that but that's not how we've got him projected on the roster.  I've noticed it usually goes however we have them listed there in terms of what we do with them.  Ability wise I'm sure he could probably do both things.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Just reading some things on google.  Cirino runs a 4.37.  Actually this article says 4.34.  http://www.asugrizzlies.com/news/2018/3/27/football-fb-cirino-turns-heads-at-nfl-regional-combine-invitational.aspx

I know another safety who ran 4.34 and this one was drafted TJ Green and ill tell you if no one else did that speed means nothing if you cant cover worth a crap.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

I know another safety who ran 4.34 and this one was drafted TJ Green and ill tell you if no one else did that spped means nothing if you cant cover worth a crap.

And what do we know about Cirino at this point?   Not a whole lot to say anything in either direction.   Still it's a great attribute that he can run.    It's sort of obvious there's more to know to say what type of ball player he is.

28 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can't see it due to work restrictions.   What do you think?

Hard to say because of the level of competition and ... well, because it's highlights and they don't show his bad plays. He clearly looks like the best athlete on the film. When he plays corner he seems to be playing off and undercuts routes for interceptions. Seems to have good feel and instincts. You can see his athleticism on several of his interceptions where he makes full extension to catch the ball or jumps to gather tipped balls to the side(good ballskills it seems). They showed some nice rangy plays in run support where he chased down RBs to sideline(this is from safety position) for TFLs... returned several blocked punts and kicks for TDs - again - shows speed and awareness to get the ball...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

And what do we know about Cirino at this point?   Not a whole lot to say anything in either direction.   Still it's a great attribute that he can run.    It's sort of obvious there's more to know to say what type of ball player he is.

I'm sure it is but if he cant tackle or cover then its not a help this team and tackling last year didn't run in the same zip code. But with that said yes speed is good but we will have to see this training camp who emerges.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Possible, but they have him listed on the roster as a Safety.  Usually ends up working out how they have the player listed on the roster in most cases.

1 hour ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He is listed on the NFL draft site as a CB

I would say the Colts website is probably more indicative of where he will play than the NFL draft site.

Colts | Terrance West visits Colts    Tue May 15, 04:47 PM

Free-agent RB Terrance West (Ravens) visited the Indianapolis Colts Tuesday, May 15, according to a source.

Footballguys view: The Colts already have six backs on the roster, but they are lacking in experience at the position...especially after adding Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins in the 2018 NFL draft. West appeared in only five games last year and averaged a career-low 3.5 yards per carry. He's gotten little interest other than a workout for the Eagles about a week ago. The Colts may just be updating their emergency list here.

Link to story
Terrance West player page

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Colts | Terrance West visits Colts    Tue May 15, 04:47 PM

Free-agent RB Terrance West (Ravens) visited the Indianapolis Colts Tuesday, May 15, according to a source.

Footballguys view: The Colts already have six backs on the roster, but they are lacking in experience at the position...especially after adding Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins in the 2018 NFL draft. West appeared in only five games last year and averaged a career-low 3.5 yards per carry. He's gotten little interest other than a workout for the Eagles about a week ago. The Colts may just be updating their emergency list here.

Link to story
Terrance West player page

Not real impressive numbers

9 hours ago, krunk said:

We'll see what Ballard does.  For now the CB depth is even more shallow.

It's not that bad.

The corners in this scheme will be protected a bit from the safeties and if Malik Hooker is back Corner is less of a need. Ballard did the right thing and focused on pass rush which will further help the corners.

Acker was nothing special. I think Kenny Moore might actually surprise some people. That kid has serious grit 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, krunk said:

I was reading somewhere that Cirino totally crushed his tryout over the weekend.  Hopefully he sticks around long enough for us to see what he looks like.

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Cirino sounds like he has a lot of potential. Nice to see someone show it that is a camp tryout. Hope he at least gets to play in preseason. Would like to see if he can be useful for us in a real game.

Just proves once more, the draft is not a perfect process.  UDFA's and especially tryouts guys getting signed prove the difficulty finding all of the diamonds in the rough out there.  I guarantee you that a Star, or two, will come out of the Alliance of American Football league as well.

• Like 1

According to this:

His numbers were:

40 yard dash: 3.34-4.41(I'm taking the upper limit 4.41, since they have somewhat liberal measuring at pro days, etc)

Broad jump: 126"

3cone: 6.69? 

At 5'11", 191lbs that puts him at RAS of 9.11 as a FS(great speed and agility, lower end size)

If you run him as a CB that puts him at RAS of 9.67 (great speed and agility, about average size)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

One possible scenario for a trade target could be Mackenzie Alexander CB Minnesota Vikings

Xavier Rhodes & Mike Hughes their first rounder last month look to be the front runners for the starting CB spots 

Chris Ballard could swing a 5th rounder or something for Alexander 

IIRC, Mackenzie Alexander is a terrible tackler.

On 5/15/2018 at 11:40 AM, CR91 said:

Strange.That is not what colts.com had him listed as.

Cirino, 5-11, 191 pounds, played in 18 games (15 starts) in two seasons (2016-17) at Adams State and totaled 55 tackles (34 solo), 2.0 tackles for loss, 13 passes defensed, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. In 2017, he started all 11 games and tallied 35 tackles (20 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, 11 passes defensed, two interceptions and one forced fumble. Cirino saw action in seven games (four starts) in 2016 and registered 20 tackles (14 solo), 1.0 tackle for loss, two passes defensed, one interception and two forced fumbles. Prior to Adams State, he played in 11 games at Ventura College and finished with 43 tackles (31 solo), seven passes defensed, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery (returned for a touchdown). Cirino also returned a punt for a touchdown.

Maybe he can win a job as a return guy. 

Cirino looks/sounds like a good fit for the D if he can actually play at an NFL level. 

I get that he's a hybrid type, but we really shouldn't be surprised to see Ballard trying to add a capable FS in lieu of Hooker's injury. I don't think the staff knows whether he will miss games or not. He certainly isn't sure himself, judging by his tweet.

I think that adding Boston or Reid might be the best insurance... No need to rush Malik and risk further injury. 

I won't fault Ballard, though, if he saves the cap space and goes with a young guy at that spot, especially if Hooker seems to be in line to get back into the lineup before week 4 or so. 

• Like 1