King Colt

Legalized Sports Gambling Is Coming

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

So who is going to be the Pete Rose of the NFL?

 

I assume players will still be prohibited from participating...

 

But what if, hypothetically, Giselle Bundchen Brady makes $100 million on a legal bet when the Pats lose this next SB because Tom got sacked 10 times and threw 4 picks...  Is Tom Brady going to add GamblingGate to his career?

 

haha

You bring up a valid concern, adding a fumble by a team or third and one and the runner falls down before making the one yard. Pardon the interruption just brought up baseball umpires on balls and strikes calls. Will they be safe to leave the parks? There are hundreds of things to bet on in one game. Think about it. instant replay will have to be involved in everything now to avoid riots!! What about auto racing?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Some are worried this may result in rigged games.  I don't know how valid those concerns are, but I could see it

Even if they are not rigged in the social media everything is suspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CopenhagenColt said:

People can rig games. They always had that option. Nothing has changed. It will still be illegal

People can gamble. They always had that option. Nothing has changed, except the fact that it will be legal.

Excessive gambling can ruin lives. That was always the case. Nothing has changed.

 

Reality is, that in countries all over the world, mine included (Denmark), people have been legally able to place bets on sports since forever. There are no more gambling addicts here, than in the US.

 

I think things have changed, just perhaps not for you.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/05/gambling-industry-feasts-on-poor-vulnerable-helen-pidd

 

Quote

a Guardian investigation found that betting firms were using third-party companies to harvest personal data, helping bookmakers and online casinos target people on low incomes and those who have stopped gambling.

 

Quote

For many addicts, data harvesting is less of a problem than the fact they can’t go to buy a pint of milk without walking past a betting shop – or its enabling cousin, the pawn shop. It is depressing how many of our once-great towns can no longer sustain even an M&S and are instead plagued by bookies, pawn shops and stores selling washing machines for “just” £5.50 a week (twice the high-street price at the end of the typical 156-week payment plan)

 

Quote

Research has proved that people living in areas with a higher number of bookies are more likely to be problem gamblers. We know that problem gambling costs the UK up to £1.2bn a year, with London seeing a 68% rise in violent crime associated with betting shops since 2010, according to the Metropolitan police.

 

 

I don't think we should brush this off as no big deal.

 

Here, the more pay day loan stores and  cut rate mobile phone providers you see in a neighborhood, the poorer the neighborhood.  I'll lay odds that soon we'll also see bookies, pawn shops  and not much else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nadine said:

 

I think things have changed, just perhaps not for you.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/05/gambling-industry-feasts-on-poor-vulnerable-helen-pidd

 

 

 

 

 

I don't think we should brush this off as no big deal.

 

Here, the more pay day loan stores and  cut rate mobile phone providers you see in a neighborhood, the poorer the neighborhood.  I'll lay odds that soon we'll also see bookies, pawn shops  and not much else.

 

To the bolded, those establishments are there because of the poor neighborhoods, that is where their customers are.  As far as the gambling goes, I am fine with it, people have the right to be stupid.  I feel no compulsion to interfere with them wanting to gamble if that is what they choose.  I certainly wouldn't want someone telling me what I can do with my money, just to save myself from myself.  If they asked my advice I would tell them that it probably is not the best way for them to spend their money.  The only real concern I have is with betting on college games, I can see where it would be a lot easier to get some college kids to throw a game than a professional.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

To the bolded, those establishments are there because of the poor neighborhoods, that is where their customers are.  As far as the gambling goes, I am fine with it, people have the right to be stupid.  I feel no compulsion to interfere with them wanting to gamble if that is what they choose.  I certainly wouldn't want someone telling me what I can do with my money, just to save myself from myself.  If they asked my advice I would tell them that it probably is not the best way for them to spend their money.  The only real concern I have is with betting on college games, I can see where it would be a lot easier to get some college kids to throw a game than a professional.  

 

Pay Day loans and bookies both prey on people in poverty.  People who don't have a lot of options.  Gambling is far more prevalent in poor neighborhoods.  The more poverty, the more gambling, the more pay day loans.

 

It's not good for the community.

 

Our difference boils down to community v individual preference.

 

I think increased gambling can make our existing problems worse.

 

Other people say, who cares, not my problem

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said before 

  Don’t Participate if you don’t want to

 

 

   I am not a fan of any type of gambling but will not stand for prohibition of it for anyone else 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nadine said:

 

Pay Day loans and bookies both prey on people in poverty.  People who don't have a lot of options.  Gambling is far more prevalent in poor neighborhoods.  The more poverty, the more gambling, the more pay day loans.

 

It's not good for the community.

 

Our difference boils down to community v individual preference.

 

I think increased gambling can make our existing problems worse.

 

Other people say, who cares, not my problem

 

There are more liquor stores in poor neighborhoods too.  Are we going to start telling businesses what neighborhoods they can and cannot be in?  If I live in a poor neighborhood, should I not be allowed to place a bet or buy a sixpack because my neighbor can't control himself/herself?  It's not "not my problem", it's not my business.  If people want help with making a budget or controlling their finances, I am more than willing to help them.  However, it is ultimately up to them to make the decisions, good or bad.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nadine said:

 

Pay Day loans and bookies both prey on people in poverty.  People who don't have a lot of options.  Gambling is far more prevalent in poor neighborhoods.  The more poverty, the more gambling, the more pay day loans.

 

It's not good for the community.

 

Our difference boils down to community v individual preference.

 

I think increased gambling can make our existing problems worse.

 

Other people say, who cares, not my problem

Gambling has been around for centuries and everyone does it

Just now, Cynjin said:

 

There are more liquor stores in poor neighborhoods too.  Are we going to start telling businesses what neighborhoods they can and cannot be in?  If I live in a poor neighborhood, should I not be allowed to place a bet or buy a sixpack because my neighbor can't control himself/herself?  It's not "not my problem", it's not my business.  If people want help with making a budget or controlling their finances, I am more than willing to help them.  However, it is ultimately up to them to make the decisions, good or bad.

Did that in the 20s and it didn’t work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

 

Did that in the 20s and it didn’t work

 

 

Did what in the 20s, prohibition?  If that is what you are referring to, I am not sure what that has to do with what I posted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cynjin said:

 

Did what in the 20s, prohibition?  If that is what you are referring to, I am not sure what that has to do with what I posted

Yes 

  The Temperance societies and such tried to make everyone be like them and swear off drink

 

 Basically People tried to make decisions for everyone else

 

  IMO 

    Prohibition lead to the illegal activities(Gambling etc.) of the Mob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes 

  The Temperance societies and such tried to make everyone be like them and swear off drink

 

 Basically People tried to make decisions for everyone else

 

  IMO 

    Prohibition lead to the illegal activities(Gambling etc.) of the Mob

 

Gotcha, and I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 As far as the gambling goes, I am fine with it, people have the right to be stupid.

 

2 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

It's not "not my problem", it's not my business.  

 

Do you feel the same way about all personal choices as long as it is legal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

 

Do you feel the same way about all personal choices as long as it is legal? 

I can’t speak for @Cynjin but I rarely if ever have a Laissez Faire attitude 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I can’t speak for @Cynjin but I rarely if ever have a Laissez Faire attitude 

 

If that is the case, then you would have a problem with this Supreme Court decision. 

 

I think you meant to write that you have a laissez faire attitude (a policy or attitude of letting things take their own course, without interfering)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

There are more liquor stores in poor neighborhoods too.  Are we going to start telling businesses what neighborhoods they can and cannot be in?  If I live in a poor neighborhood, should I not be allowed to place a bet or buy a sixpack because my neighbor can't control himself/herself?  It's not "not my problem", it's not my business.  If people want help with making a budget or controlling their finances, I am more than willing to help them.  However, it is ultimately up to them to make the decisions, good or bad.

Pay Day loan places are legalized loan sharking.

and gambling follows the same business plan. 

I don't think it's the same as being able to buy a six pack, although many poor neighborhoods lack other businesses.....such as grocery stores

I think it matters.  I understand that you don't

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An example of the government in the gaming business.  Indiana hired a contractor to increase it's net from the lottery.  So, what they did was make up a bunch of scratch off ticket games.......advertise them, and then end them before all the tickets were purchased.  Hence saving themselves from having to pay prizes

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/05/hoosier-lottery-often-pulls-plug-high-dollar-scratch-off-games-before-all-prizes-can-won/417720002/

 

Government should manage the money it has

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

If that is the case, then you would have a problem with this Supreme Court decision. 

 

I think you meant to write that you have a laissez faire attitude.  

No

  I love Rules and Regulations but every case is different 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nadine said:

An example of the government in the gaming business.  Indiana hired a contractor to increase it's net from the lottery.  So, what they did was make up a bunch of scratch off ticket games.......advertise them, and then end them before all the tickets were purchased.  Hence saving themselves from having to pay prizes

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/05/hoosier-lottery-often-pulls-plug-high-dollar-scratch-off-games-before-all-prizes-can-won/417720002/

 

Government should manage the money it has

As I said early It is in the hand of the state and Indiana is dragging their feet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

If that is the case, then you would have a problem with this Supreme Court decision. 

 

I think you meant to write that you have a laissez faire attitude.  

The USSC routinely sends things back to lower courts and like this case to the states

 

  The ruling has caused a vacuum since most of the state legislatures were unprepared and/or on summer/election leaves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a few points I am reading on this:

-Not all states will join in.

-Non-betters watch 15-16 NFL games annually while betters watch 45-50 (sponsors will love this)

-A college player is more likely to throw a game than a well paid pro.

-The American Gaming Assn. states illegal gambling is about 150 billion dollars per year. Legal betting could be much greater.

-The CEO of Draft Kings estimates a 15-20 billion dollar increase in revenue if the majority of the states get on board. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

 

 

Do you feel the same way about all personal choices as long as it is legal? 

Pretty much, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Here are a few points I am reading on this:

-Not all states will join in.

-Non-betters watch 15-16 NFL games annually while betters watch 45-50 (sponsors will love this)

-A college player is more likely to throw a game than a well paid pro.

-The American Gaming Assn. states illegal gambling is about 150 billion dollars per year. Legal betting could be much greater.

-The CEO of Draft Kings estimates a 15-2 billion dollar increase in revenue if the majority of the states get on board. 

 

Nice info

 

  if used properly the revenue the states bring could support multiple programs not to mention the jobs it could create

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Gambling has been around for centuries and everyone does it

Did that in the 20s and it didn’t work

Lol, exactly. Exacerbated the problem 10 fold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nadine said:

An example of the government in the gaming business.  Indiana hired a contractor to increase it's net from the lottery.  So, what they did was make up a bunch of scratch off ticket games.......advertise them, and then end them before all the tickets were purchased.  Hence saving themselves from having to pay prizes

 

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/05/hoosier-lottery-often-pulls-plug-high-dollar-scratch-off-games-before-all-prizes-can-won/417720002/

 

Government should manage the money it has

I live in Indiana and hadn't heard about this. I don't play the lottery, so maybe that's why I missed it. I also don't recall anything mentioned on local radio stations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teganslaw said:

I live in Indiana and hadn't heard about this. I don't play the lottery, so maybe that's why I missed it. I also don't recall anything mentioned on local radio stations. 

 

I guess people just weren't interested in the story.  My bottom line with this gambling thing doesn't have to do with a moral objection.  I find gambling uninteresting.  What bothers me is the trend I've seen over time.  Small towns losing jobs.  Small businesses failing and more and more of us buy from companies that are not local.  I'm not altogether sure what supports local economies anymore.

 

First the big box stores put the small locals out of business.  Now the internet is putting them out of business.  There's even a push to buy your groceries online. Soon, most of what we buy will go to someone somewhere else. 

 

It's not helping local economies and all we can think of to do is legalize vices and tax them? I feel like a storm is brewing. Came across this this am.  What's going on now, is not good for a lot of people.  We need to be smarter

 

Quote

At a time of rock-bottom joblessness, high corporate profits and a booming stock market, more than 40% of U.S. households cannot pay the basics of a middle-class lifestyle — rent, transportation, child care and a cellphone

 

https://www.axios.com/americans-who-cant-afford-middle-class-basics-united-way-5da1e2e6-046b-4a53-9a11-1106a77564ef.html

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those that say this will not impact non-gamblers I'll throw this on e thing out to consider. Example: your friend, relative, spouse or whatever  loves to gamble. That person hits a bad streak at a time when bills are due. What does that person do? Bum money from friends or co-workers? Pawn something valuable in their home? Steal something to sell? Sell the car and buy a cheap used one? So what I am getting at it can indeed impact friends and loved ones.

The word "gambling" implies either side can win.  To me it says, "only you are gambling, not the house." 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should only play with what you're willing to lose. That's the all time rule for gambling. But like anything else, people get too connected and get into trouble. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't legislate away stupidity.  Personally, I think betting money on something that is completely outside of your control (ie sporting events) is one of the dumbest things a person can do.

 

That being said, it's not up to me, you or the government to tell them they can or cannot do it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, King Colt said:

To those that say this will not impact non-gamblers I'll throw this on e thing out to consider. Example: your friend, relative, spouse or whatever  loves to gamble. That person hits a bad streak at a time when bills are due. What does that person do? Bum money from friends or co-workers? Pawn something valuable in their home? Steal something to sell? Sell the car and buy a cheap used one? So what I am getting at it can indeed impact friends and loved ones.

The word "gambling" implies either side can win.  To me it says, "only you are gambling, not the house." 

All choices a person makes can affect friends and loved ones.

 

If a person quits their job and cannot find another one what do they do? Bum money from friends or former co-workers? Pawn something valuable in their home? Steal something to sell? Sell the car and buy a cheap used one? Should the government make quitting your job illegal.  (Yes it is a bit of extreme example but the impact to friends and loved ones can be exactly the same in both situations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Nadine said:

 

I think things have changed, just perhaps not for you.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/05/gambling-industry-feasts-on-poor-vulnerable-helen-pidd

 

 

 

 

 

I don't think we should brush this off as no big deal.

 

Here, the more pay day loan stores and  cut rate mobile phone providers you see in a neighborhood, the poorer the neighborhood.  I'll lay odds that soon we'll also see bookies, pawn shops  and not much else.

Making it legal to place a bet on an NFL or MLB game, doesn't exclude all regulation of the gaming industry.

It doesn't mean that they should have no restrictions on, say, Data harvesting, predatory loans etc.

The fact that some people have ruined their lives gambling, is hardly an argument against gambling. It's like banning beer because some people ruin their lives by drinking more than they should.

Gambling addicts have always gambled, it just used to be through bookies that would break their arms if they didn't pay what they owed. A legal gambling establishment would for instance not be allowed to offer credit here in Europe. You place money on an account, and when the balance on the account is 0, you can't place a bet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CopenhagenColt said:

Making it legal to place a bet on an NFL or MLB game, doesn't exclude all regulation of the gaming industry.

It doesn't mean that they should have no restrictions on, say, Data harvesting, predatory loans etc.

The fact that some people have ruined their lives gambling, is hardly an argument against gambling. It's like banning beer because some people ruin their lives by drinking more than they should.

Gambling addicts have always gambled, it just used to be through bookies that would break their arms if they didn't pay what they owed. A legal gambling establishment would for instance not be allowed to offer credit here in Europe. You place money on an account, and when the balance on the account is 0, you can't place a bet.

 

I pretty much agree except that the correlation between drinking and gambling addictions is not valid.

People with gambling problems are more prone to criminal activity

Quote

The National Council on Problem Gambling estimates that gambling addiction carries an annual cost of $7B (billion, with a “b”) as a direct result of crime, bankruptcy and cross-addiction. According to the 2006 California Prevalence Survey, problem gamblers are 3 to 3.5 times as likely to be arrested or spend time in jail, and are 2 to 7 times more likely to smoke, binge drink, take illegal drugs.

 

 

My concern, is we just don't know the cost for doing this.  People see dollar signs and figure that's good enough.

It's true that some communities have been helped.  It's also true that other communities have improved without gambling. https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/7.pdf

 

I tend to think the latter is the wiser course

 

Much of this came about, I believe because Atlantic City wasn't doing well.  They figure sports gambling will give them the boost they need. But, Atlantic City, like Vegas or Reno are unique.  They are tourist destinations.

 

I'll keep an eye on gambling on sports spreading beyond that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

What I'm curious is does this gambling law also apply to video games in the area of e-sports?

Good question. I think that's tbd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern rests squarely with loss of integrity to the game. I don't think we can legislate habits. But there is where the discussion becomes governmental. I don't want to tell people what to do....but I also don't want to pay for those who can't control themselves and their own lack of control. A good example would be that I don't believe in helmet laws for bikers. However, should you smear your grill on the roadway, I dont want that medical cost to be part of the insurance pool. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nadine said:

I pretty much agree except that the correlation between drinking and gambling addictions is not valid.

People with gambling problems are more prone to criminal activity

 

 

My concern, is we just don't know the cost for doing this.  People see dollar signs and figure that's good enough.

It's true that some communities have been helped.  It's also true that other communities have improved without gambling. https://govinfo.library.unt.edu/ngisc/reports/7.pdf

 

I tend to think the latter is the wiser course

 

Much of this came about, I believe because Atlantic City wasn't doing well.  They figure sports gambling will give them the boost they need. But, Atlantic City, like Vegas or Reno are unique.  They are tourist destinations.

 

I'll keep an eye on gambling on sports spreading beyond that. 

 

It was to point out that addiction isn't confined or eliminated by outlawing the activity. If that was the case, there wouldn't be gambling addicts in the US.

 

If smart regulation is drawn up, there will be a licensing for companies offering gambling just like over here.

They'll have to be taxed, and some of the proceeds could be used to fund education and treatment of addicts. Just like it is over here. There are "Bet responsibly" campaigns, just like the "Drink responsibly"/don't drink and drive campaigns.

Make sure that they can't offer credit to customers.

 

We can argue over how much "choice" people have, when it comes to these things.

Reality is that some people make bad choices with regards to gambling, drugs, alcohol and a lot of other things. 

Will legal gambling turn millions of people into gambling addicts? I find that highly unlikely.

Will it make it easier for those who are addicts? Maybe, but only to a degree. These people gamble as it is, but use shady bookies that'll be happy to extend them credit until they're in the red and then pile on obscene interest rates with the threat of violence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.