Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question about Quenton

Dark Superman

I watched a ton of film on this kid and I honestly can't recall him ever being man-handled by a defender. He seems to always keep his guy in place or just runs right through the guy. Every play I watched him and another offensive lineman double team someone, they completely taken the defender out of the play. Him and Kelly together is going to be fun to watch. 

Is there any video of someone simply getting the better of Nelson?

Question about Quenton* Lol

5 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I watched a ton of film on this kid and I honestly can't recall him ever being man-handled by a defender. He seems to always keep his guy in place or just runs right through the guy. Every play I watched him and another offensive lineman double team someone, they completely taken the defender out of the play. Him and Kelly together is going to be fun to watch. 

The only one I remember was Nelson versus Chubb and it wasn't so much Chubb as it looked like Nelson slipped a bit.

Just now, csmopar said:

The only one I remember was Nelson versus Chubb and it wasn't so much Chubb as it looked like Nelson slipped a bit.

I saw some of Nelson/McGlinchey vs Chubb. McGlinchey vs Chubb was fun to watch but whenever they had Nelson help with the double team, Chubb couldn't do anything at all. I feel like McGlinchey would be better off at RT in the NFL.

5 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I watched a lot of tape on him too, including some complete game tapes, and I sure didn't see anyone get the better of him. Once in a while, you'll see a guy playing off of his block and making a tackle on a RB after a short gain, but even that is rare. AS CSM just said, that one play against Chubb looked like a slip, and that's gonna happen. Most of the guys he blocks stay blocked -- or planted. This kid is something special. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I watched a lot of tape on him too, including some complete game tapes, and I sure didn't see anyone get the better of him. Once in a while, you'll see a guy playing off of his block and making a tackle on a RB after a short gain, but even that is rare. AS CSM just said, that one play against Chubb looked like a slip, and that's gonna happen. Most of the guys he blocks stay blocked -- or planted. This kid is something special. 

Man, Nelson sure did open up some nice holes in that clip. He mainly went against the opposing DT's or swung to the outside to blow a block (Which he's exceptional at doing) He's 6'5 and around 330 already as a rookie, which is very promising since I don't think he will need to bulk up to dominate NFL Defensive Linemen. The more I watch of him the more I fall in love with the guy and he's already NFL ready.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

Man, Nelson sure did open up some nice holes in that clip. He mainly went against the opposing DT's or swung to the outside to blow a block (Which he's exceptional at doing) He's 6'5 and around 330 already as a rookie, which is very promising since I don't think he will need to bulk up to dominate NFL Defensive Linemen. The more I watch of him the more I fall in love with the guy and he's already NFL ready.

What jumps off the tape at you is how Nelson never eases up on his assignment. Even when the play is going to the other side, or has gone past him, he keeps imposing his will on the defender, all the way to the whistle. That has to be frustrating and demoralizing for a defender to have to face that all day. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I like how at 0:07 of the video, right off the bat you see Quenton actually whiff when he tries to get his hands on the interior DLineman, but even though he misses with his hands, he trips the guy then falls backward and just sits on him.  That's good Reverse TBagging technique.

NOBODY gets the better of Quenton Nelson.  Or puts him in a corner.

DirtyDancing2.jpg

Nobody.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Love clip #2.  Now THAT is superior field awareness!  I don't know that I have ever seen a lineman pick up a blitz that deep.

Really interested to see how he does this year because next year (barring injury this year) he is going to be even BETTER!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Who else watched these over and over again?

RIP #4, whoever you were.

First one looks like some sort of WWE move.  

Second one is great mental awareness.

Luck should feel a lot more comfortable in the pocket with this man in front of him.  

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Love clip #2.  Now THAT is superior field awareness!  I don't know that I have ever seen a lineman pick up a blitz that deep.

Really interested to see how he does this year because next year (barring injury this year) he is going to be even BETTER!

Gosh damn clip #2 is just vicious .... #1 is good as well but holy crap I’m excited now. I didn’t. Are if we had gotten Chubb or Nelson but I think we got the better pick!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Luck should feel a lot more comfortable in the pocket with this man in front of him.  

He is field smart. He just looks to make a play every snap.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

One scouting video I watched explained that Nelson practices martial arts.... and that it helped his balance, agility and hand striking.

It definitely shows as he threw that defender around like a sack of potatoes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is field smart. He just looks to make a play every snap.

14 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

One scouting video I watched explained that Nelson practices martial arts.... and that it helped his balance, agility and hand striking.

It definitely shows as he threw that defender around like a sack of potatoes.

Those two highlights show why Nelson was rated so highly.  A lot of his run blocking gets on the highlight reel because let's face it that's more exciting then pass blocking.  But pass blocking is obviously extremely important and Nelson is great at both.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stitches said:

Put on the Miami tape. RJ McIntosh got the better of him several times, but overall even in this blowout he was dominating his matchups. 

Wasn't just RJ that got the better of him.  This game is concerning IMO.  He held his own often but was also beaten a fair share.  Everyone loved to talk about his ability to pull which is demonstrated several times in this game, but he rarely makes a meaningful block on the LB's.  Several of the the LB's are NFL-type guys with the starting 3 with the potential to go early in the 2019 draft, but that's hardly comforting.

He was a dominant piece in college, hope he's the same for the Colts 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Dude just Chokeslammed someone. LOL

Yes - that block where he picked up the 2nd guy coming in from the right side was amazing.  No idea how he saw that coming.

And the body slam.  Wow. 

If he performs like this on a regular basis in the NFL he is definitely worth the #6 pick in my mind.

It all starts up front.

On 5/15/2018 at 10:19 PM, HarryTheCat said:

What jumps off the tape at you is how Nelson never eases up on his assignment. Even when the play is going to the other side, or has gone past him, he keeps imposing his will on the defender, all the way to the whistle. That has to be frustrating and demoralizing for a defender to have to face that all day. 

Can't wait to see him dominate JJ Watt :) 

I saw a hilight video of vita vea (sp?) where he ran past (thru?) nelson and mcglinchy like they were stuck in cement.  

the only one i saw tho.

i like how nelson goes a lil past wistle, then stops, turns, and walks back to huddle.  defenders  look at him like "sheesh buddy" but they dont dare speak cuz he's comin right back next play.  Defenders be like " hey Q, can i pull your car around for ya after the game?"

11 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I saw a hilight video of vita vea (sp?) where he ran past (thru?) nelson and mcglinchy like they were stuck in cement.  

the only one i saw tho.

i like how nelson goes a lil past wistle, then stops, turns, and walks back to huddle.  defenders  look at him like "sheesh buddy" but they dont dare speak cuz he's comin right back next play.  Defenders be like " hey Q, can i pull your car around for ya after the game?"

Washington hasn't played vs Notre Dame in the last 3 years AFAIK. Maybe you mistake him with someone else? Chubb had a rep vs Nelson where he caught him off balance on a stunt inside and threw him to the side. 

On 5/15/2018 at 6:47 AM, csmopar said:

Yeah, this was the only questionable one. even then like you said it looked like he slipped. I seriously wish we would have drafted Notre Dame's Josh Adams as well. That kid can ball. He is patient when it comes to waiting for the hole to open and when it does, he's already in the secondary. The eagles got them selves a good RB duo with him and Penny.