Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Nelson listed as G/C on Colts Roster?

Dr. T

I don't see him ever playing T. I'm sure however he'd be a terrific C, although we all know his long term career is at G. 

For 2018, I just want the best interior line up possible. If Q at C is the short term solution that will keep Luck healthy, I'm good with that.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Interesting, that has to be it. He's only ever been listed/played at G, and at tackle in his first year at ND but that's it.

Yea. I dont think it has anything to do with his position. Its just the colts working the system

34 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't see him ever playing T. I'm sure however he'd be a terrific C, although we all know his long term career is at G. 

For 2018, I just want the best interior line up possible. If Q at C is the short term solution that will keep Luck healthy, I'm good with that.

Probably not.  But what if Mewhort is healthy and playing like he did pre injury.  And Smith is a fast learner and a mauler.  

They said he could have played T at ND, but there was no need since they had two good ones.  Put him at RT and that line could potentially rival the best in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Probably not.  But what if Mewhort is healthy and playing like he did pre injury.  And Smith is a fast learner and a mauler.  

They said he could have played T at ND, but there was no need since they had two good ones.  Put him at RT and that line could potentially rival the best in the NFL.

Then mewhort would be a good depth player simple as that 

• Like 1

i'd say he's mean & fast enough to play tackle, at least for the coming year (if it's absolutely necessary), then we can move him back to his natural position when we draft a tackle in the 1st round next year (top 10 pick).  Center?  Uh no. God knows we need Castanzo to hit for the cycle this coming season, jeepers man, let's keep Andrews bobble-head from moving.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Best 5.  

The colts wont move one of the most talked up guards that they drafted at 6 to T just because someone who has been injury prone gets healthy now maybe they put mewhort ar RT but Nelson will be a G and stay a G 

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he can compete for RG, if he doesnt win then hes a backup

personally id like to see more of a run blocker at RG, smith could be the guy 

Sure.  My premise was IF Mewhort was back to his prime and Smith was the real thing.  

What’s the Parcells quote?  “I’m selfish, I’m playing the best 11 guys”

I think our RT spot will be better with all the competition Ballard has brought in.  

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The colts wont move one of the most talked up guards that they drafted at 6 to T just because someone who has been injury prone gets healthy now maybe they put mewhort ar RT but Nelson will be a G and stay a G 

I highly doubt the Colts are going to give a rat's behind about how much he was talked up. If Mewhort is healthy and proves to be a better G than T, and Nelson proves he can play T at a high level then there's absolutely no reason not to make that switch.  Hell if they moved Nelson to T that should make those complaining about positional value happy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

I highly doubt the Colts are going to give a rat's behind about how much he was talked up. If Mewhort is healthy and proves to be a better G than T, and Nelson proves he can play T at a high level then there's absolutely no reason not to make that switch.  Hell if they moved Nelson to T that should make those complaining about positional value happy.

This must be hypothetical.  They've given zero indication that they have any plans whatsoever to play Nelson at tackle.

12 minutes ago, J@son said:

Mwehort is a slug and would kill the effectiveness of 20% of the playbook. Please send Him to Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

This must be hypothetical.  They've given zero indication that they have any plans whatsoever to play Nelson at tackle.

of course it is

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

Mwehort is a slug and would kill the effectiveness of 20% of the playbook. Please send Him to Buffalo.

sorry I don't have that authority :P

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

You know throwing BBZ, at times you make some good insights into the Colts and into football in general and you show you understand the game.  But far too often your posts are like this one... throwing out insults and making comments like this to make it appear you know nothing about the game of football.

I am a long time poster on this forum and one that gets tired of stupid comments with no substance or supporting information, I would much rather see you post more of the former and none of the latter.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Exactly its just a weird what if thing pointless cause he will be our guard end of story 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J@son said:

Again he was picked at 6 to play G he will play guard that's it I'm sure mewhort wont have anything to do with him playing guard 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Again he was picked at 6 to play G he will play guard that's it I'm sure mewhort wont have anything to do with him playing guard 

he was picked 6th because he was the BPA, best offensive lineman on the board (in the entire draft to many), OL is a need and he has positional flexibility (that means they think he can play anywhere along the line).  It's not at all uncommon for OL drafted as one position to move around in the pros.  I have no doubt the coaches will try out multiple combinations along the OL and they'll go with the best combination they find and it will have nothing to do with the "G" that was on Nelson's draft card.

bottom line, I do think Nelson stays at G, but to rule out a change just because "he was drafted as a G" is incredibly pedantic and short-sighted.  

1 hour ago, J@son said:

he was picked 6th because he was the BPA, best offensive lineman on the board (in the entire draft to many), OL is a need and he has positional flexibility (that means they think he can play anywhere along the line).  It's not at all uncommon for OL drafted as one position to move around in the pros.  I have no doubt the coaches will try out multiple combinations along the OL and they'll go with the best combination they find and it will have nothing to do with the "G" that was on Nelson's draft card.

bottom line, I do think Nelson stays at G, but to rule out a change just because "he was drafted as a G" is incredibly pedantic and short-sighted.  

Lol some of you will argue for anything the chance of him playing anything other than guard is prolly less than 0 but whatever I'm done with this what if scenario haha

48 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Lol some of you will argue for anything the chance of him playing anything other than guard is prolly less than 0 but whatever I'm done with this what if scenario haha

I never said it was likely..never said it was probable...and yes this is a what-if scenario.  Ultimately I do agree the chances of him playing anything but G are slim, but to completely rule out the possibility is ..well see my last post