Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Mic’d Up

TKnight24

On 5/16/2018 at 1:50 PM, Carlos Danger said:

I thought (could be wrong) that particular phrase had racist connotations when used in the way you have explained...

I only listened to the audio, but was imagining (could be wrong again) that Reich was using it to convey how the receivers should be using their hands, as opposed to the slang... 

"Chop-chop" in the way I described isn't "racist" it simply was a term used in a time when folks communicated in ways easily understood between disparate groups from various regions of the world.  In this instance, I may have misunderstood the context Coach was using the words.  I am truly sorry if I offended you.  I'll try not to do it again.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, Carlos Danger said:

I thought (could be wrong) that particular phrase had racist connotations when used in the way you have explained...

I only listened to the audio, but was imagining (could be wrong again) that Reich was using it to convey how the receivers should be using their hands, as opposed to the slang... 

No. All it means is to get busy quickly.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Alot of us were caught up in the hiring of McFlakey as out head coach, but

he showed his true colors in crawfishing on us and his track record as a head

coach is a bit disturbing. 

We hired a man with integrity with similar offensive traits, all without

being a shady human being. Reich's head coaching is still in question but

he seems to have excellent potential thus far. 

I'll admit that during the Playoffs I was excited to see the NE offense and what McDaniels would bring to the Colts.  I have tremendous respect for Tony Dungy, but he missed the call on McDaniels.  When he was preparing to accept the Colts job he should have notified BB and Kraft up front with the message..... if you want to talk, now is the time, otherwise I'm taking the Colts job.  He clearly does not understand the professional aspect of being a head coach.  Staying with the Patriots was the easy way out.  I believe he has serious doubts about his head coaching abilities after the Denver experience.  In the end we got Reich and I'm happy with the outcome and looking forward to next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRoss1997 said:

I'll admit that during the Playoffs I was excited to see the NE offense and what McDaniels would bring to the Colts.  I have tremendous respect for Tony Dungy, but he missed the call on McDaniels.  When he was preparing to accept the Colts job he should have notified BB and Kraft up front with the message..... if you want to talk, now is the time, otherwise I'm taking the Colts job.  He clearly does not understand the professional aspect of being a head coach.  Staying with the Patriots was the easy way out.  I believe he has serious doubts about his head coaching abilities after the Denver experience.  In the end we got Reich and I'm happy with the outcome and looking forward to next season.

He may have had doubts about his abilities as a head coach but IMO he was told something in New England about the future head coaching job there. I know they said he wasn't guaranteed anything but I have my own doubts about that too. I just think Kraft had a bigger play in this than the Patriots just wanting to keep their OC in place.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:50 PM, Carlos Danger said:

Your post prompted me to do some research. It appears that phrase has some cultural based origins, and maybe is where "chopsticks" comes from. But I didn't see anything that seems derogatory, demeaning, condescending, and certainly not racist. 

Some might have a more personal background with that phrase though. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 2:12 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think when it happens as often as it did, you can also look at the lack of talent.

The former GM.

We certainly had a lack of talent and that started to show itself as some of the older talent retired.  

But even when we had a bit more talent.  I remember getting blown out by a St. Louis Rams team that won like 3 total games that year.  We didn't just lose, we got completely destroyed.  

Even if you look at those initial 11 win seasons you can look at some of those 5 losses and look at the teams that beat the Colts, often times blew out the Colts and you have to wonder what the heck was going on.  

And you can even look at some of the wins, wins where the Colts barely beat a team that won like 4 games or less.  

I think that speaks to how well the coach prepared the team.  And the answer is not well.

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

We certainly had a lack of talent and that started to show itself as some of the older talent retired.  

But even when we had a bit more talent.  I remember getting blown out by a St. Louis Rams team that won like 3 total games that year.  We didn't just lose, we got completely destroyed.  

Even if you look at those initial 11 win seasons you can look at some of those 5 losses and look at the teams that beat the Colts, often times blew out the Colts and you have to wonder what the heck was going on.  

And you can even look at some of the wins, wins where the Colts barely beat a team that won like 4 games or less.  

I think that speaks to how well the coach prepared the team.  And the answer is not well.

If you are going to look a the bigger picture why cant you add the wins over teams like the Seahawks and Broncos? We won a few of those games when we wasn't suppose to.

On 5/19/2018 at 6:46 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

"Chop-chop" in the way I described isn't "racist" it simply was a term used in a time when folks communicated in ways easily understood between disparate groups from various regions of the world.  In this instance, I may have misunderstood the context Coach was using the words.  I am truly sorry if I offended you.  I'll try not to do it again.

Oh, I definitely wasn't personally offended... I was merely bringing it up conversationally.

It has been pointed out that I was likely wrong in my assumption about the phrase. I was told at some point that it was a term used by the handlers of indentured railroad workers... After looking it up, it seems to be more like how you explained it in your reply. 

I've never been personally offended by anything I've read on this forum, although I have vehemently disagreed with some posters on occasion... I just have a passing interest in linguistics, really. 

Please don't feel like you'd have to censor yourself on my account... I wasn't trying to imply that you were being offensive in any way, only that it was strange to hear the coach say something that I had been (falsely, apparently) led to believe was racially insensitive... 

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you are going to look a the bigger picture why cant you add the wins over teams like the Seahawks and Broncos? We won a few of those games when we wasn't suppose to.

That is fair as well, although I would say we had less of those games then head scratching games where the team under-performed.  

On 5/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, Valpo2004 said:

That's another thing, I don't think the main problem with Pagano was motivation.  I just don't think he adjusted well and often times he didn't prepare the team well.  

Far too many times the Colts got completely blown out by teams with less talent.  1 time maybe that's on the players but it happened so many times that I don't think you can look anywhere else but the coaching.  

The problem with pagano was that he was promoted way, way too high. A HC gig was way over his head. He was only position coach material. Nothing higher than a DB should have been his ceiling.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That is fair as well, although I would say we had less of those games then head scratching games where the team under-performed.  

The thing is, even with Pagano's last three seasons he still had a winning record. 

Say what you want, Pagano was not near as bad as he is made out to be in this forum.

• Like 1

On May 18, 2018 at 12:03 PM, dodsworth said:

Alot of us were caught up in the hiring of McFlakey as out head coach, but

he showed his true colors in crawfishing on us and his track record as a head

coach is a bit disturbing. 

We hired a man with integrity with similar offensive traits, all without

being a shady human being. Reich's head coaching is still in question but

he seems to have excellent potential thus far.

Thanks for understanding DW. Appreciate it. Funny how things tend to workout in the end isn't it? :D

I still respect Josh McDaniels as an OC. I don't view him as evil. Just somebody who kind of sabotaged his prospects as an HC moving forward. Twice. 

Frank Reich is the right man for the job. That is abundantly clear. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thanks for understanding DW. Appreciate it. Funny how things tend to workout in the end isn't it? :D

I still respect Josh McDaniels as an OC. I don't view him as evil. Just somebody who kind of sabotaged his prospects as an HC moving forward. Twice. 

Frank Reich is the right man for the job. That is abundantly clear. 

I truly believe we have a GM to build a talent rich team and a coach 

who will be able to get over the Belicheck playoff hump.

6 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The problem with pagano was that he was promoted way, way too high. A HC gig was way over his head. He was only position coach material. Nothing higher than a DB should have been his ceiling.

Yeah, his losing record shows that doesn't it. --Oh wait, he didn't have a losing record . :scratch:

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is, even with Pagano's last three seasons he still had a winning record. 

Say what you want, Pagano was not near as bad as he is made out to be in this forum.

I would agree with that, but I would also agree it was time for him to go.  

35 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I would agree with that, but I would also agree it was time for him to go.  

Yes it was under the circumstances.  He was a lame duck and set up to fail the last two seasons he was here.

With that said three seasons ago IMO he done the best job of his career here when he took this team to a 8-8 record with 5 different QBs with two of them not even being in the NFL when the season started. How he held on to the locker room was unbelievable.