Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tre Boston & Kenny Vaccaro visiting Colts today

TKnight24

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

You probably want about 4 clear cut starting quality guys, then backups for each that can come in on situational downs & contribute on special teams. So I'd say 8?

are we talking the whole secondary or just safeties? 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...  but the key words you wrote are...

...if he still struggles...   

And if he does...  then he's likely gone....  but if he begins to put things together, then maybe the Colts have something...

I hope he does play well. we'll have to see come camp

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If I protested anything while I am at work (working for someone else, at THEIR place of business)...... 

I would be canned, like most 99.9% of the people in the world

I for one am excited they are taking a swing about improving the play of our safeties.

we need competition, but we also need competiton from people who are good at what they do........ 

not competition from people that couldnt make ANY other roster

Yeah I can see if it was his own platform.  Problem is that it isn't so you have to play with an understanding of who is feeding you.  And unfortunately the hand that feeds you isn't always fair, moral, or just.  Especially if they feel you are costing them money or unwanted attention.  In most instances they are going to move to silence you as best they can.  So you've got to put that into consideration with any type of protest.     I do agree with you about improving the secondary for sure.

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

How many safeties do we usually keep on the roster? 

Keep in mind we will be using a ton of dime and nickel looks and it's possible we have some packages with 3 safeties. 

My point is - even if we sign one of those, I doubt it automatically spells the end of any of our current safeties on the roster. 

We could go in with 5 safeties, wouldn’t be shocking, but the numbers get pretty tight.

6 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

We could go in with 5 safeties, wouldn’t be shocking, but the numbers get pretty tight.

Yup.....   at some point this year,  the rosters numbers are going to get pretty interesting.....

The roster is getting better and it'll be interesting to see who comes and goes....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Kenny-Vaccaro-Career-Grades-768x432.png

Very up and down career so far by PFF. Pretty much his whole career has been either very good or trash. No in between. 

Read through this thread by Saints fans:

https://saintsreport.com/threads/kenny-vaccaro-one-of-top-corners-in-nfl-says-pff.375315/page-3

They seem like they wanted him there long term and some were throwing numbers in the range of 6-7M per year. IMO he won't get that right now. 

His ranking(in the 30s by PFF) is a bit weird since he was allowing just about 40 passer rating to QBs when targeting him. I haven't watched too much to know how come his grade is so low if he was so good in coverage. 

Just some food for thought...New Orleans has had some ups and downs all over the defense. Add the changes to DC they've gone through etc it isn't surprising. I don't think he is so good that he could play in any defense for any coach and play at a high level...but with the right system and being put in the right place I think he is a solid player. I'm good with either or of these guys to help in our secondary. We are better at Safety then Corner...but that doesn't mean we can't get better....especially if Hooker starts the season on PUP list or something.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.....   at some point this year,  the rosters numbers are going to get pretty interesting.....

The roster is getting better and it'll be interesting to see who comes and goes....

Yep....great problem to have....I mean we've always argued who we think would stay or go before...but never with much a hope that the one staying over getting cut was really going to be able to contribute a lot. I think the fact that we may have real starting caliber guys on the bench or getting cut is a testament of the team we are building. We used to worry about our starters going down and who would play...now we worry about who we can fit on the roster because we HOPE they play.

I recall hoping that Kenny Vaccaro would fall to the Colts with the 24th pick in the 2013 draft, yeah, that draft where the Colts selected Bjorn Werner.  Vaccaro went at 15th over-all to New Orleans.

To get him now, that would be like a 2013 draft re-do of the first round, how I had wanted it to be.  (Of course, the majority would likely want Xavier Rhodes if there could be a redo, but hey, we can have the redo with Vaccaro, so let's go with that!)  

Ergo, I hope the Colts sign him. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I recall hoping that Kenny Vaccaro would fall to the Colts with the 24th pick in the 2013 draft, yeah, that draft where the Colts selected Bjorn Werner.  Vaccaro went at 15th over-all to New Orleans.

To get him now, that would be like a 2013 draft re-do of the first round, how I had wanted it to be.  I hope the Colts sign him. :)

I just remember how many people were up in arms when we didn't get Xavier Rhodes. I don't think people will be happy until he is on the Colts lol.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just remember how many people were up in arms when we didn't get Xavier Rhodes. I don't think people will be happy until he is on the Colts lol.

I wonder, with Vaccaro having gone in the 15th spot and Rhodes going 25th, one spot after the Colts pick, if we went back to 2013 and Vaccaro was still available, would most have wanted him AT THE TIME over Rhodes?

I mean, we can all look back with the benefit of hindsight now, but back then at the time, would Vaccaro have come with higher acclaim?

Anyway, he sure would have come with higher acclaim than Werner, so to sign Vaccaro now, that kind of in a way undoes the Bjorn Werner mistake.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

After the draft, Ballard has spoken quite highly of Green...   says he's looking forward to seeing him this year.

Said a lot of nice things about Matt Jones prior to the draft as well.....then Hines and Wilkins happened and now Jones is with the Eagles.....lol

I say sign both of them and let them compete......best men win......and we win in the long run! 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Said a lot of nice things about Matt Jones prior to the draft as well.....then Hines and Wilkins happened and now Jones is with the Eagles.....lol

I say sign both of them and let them compete......best men win......and we win in the long run! 

Yep...no roster spot is safe. We have several vets on the OL and DL that we had penciled in to start and then he drafted guys at those positions.....he clearly wants competition and toughness....he may like a guy but he is not going to take chances. He is going to fill this team with as much talent as he can and let them sort it out on the field. If Vacarro gets signed I do think it would be at a high enough salary that he probably will make the team...and that would likely mean we cut someone.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yep...no roster spot is safe. We have several vets on the OL and DL that we had penciled in to start and then he drafted guys at those positions.....he clearly wants competition and toughness....he may like a guy but he is not going to take chances. He is going to fill this team with as much talent as he can and let them sort it out on the field. If Vacarro gets signed I do think it would be at a high enough salary that he probably will make the team...and that would likely mean we cut someone.

If One or both sign the easy cuts are Ronald Martin and Vujnovich.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Slouch definitely wouldn't be the word that I'd use, 1-on-1 coverage just wasn't his best attribute. He fit Dungy's zone system perfectly though, so there was no need for him to be elite in coverage.

He wasn't a liability either, like you mentioned. He had good speed for recovery.

Polian did draft based on what was needed for Dungy's system and like you said, he fit the purpose very well for what was asked of him. Most of his highlight plays we remember came closer to the line of scrimmage, which is what you expect from a SS playing close to the LOS anyways.

5 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

If added, one of the better position groups on the roster will get even better 

Competition! Competition! Competition! 

:catfight:

:coltshelmet:

hate to say this, but there really will be no competition. Hooker and Geathers will be the starters at both safety positions come week 1. UNLESS they are looking at both of them due to they believing Hooker may not be ready by week 1. Which could be possible. 

Boston, 25, spent the first three seasons of his career in Carolina before being cut by the team last May. He then signed a one-year deal with the Chargers for the 2017 season. Boston was the Panthers’ fourth round pick out of North Carolina back in 2014.

In his career, he has appeared in 58 games, starting 31 of them. He has racked up 131 tackles, eight interceptions and two sacks. Last season with the Chargers, Boston started 15 of games 16 games he appeared in, putting together 56 tackles and five interceptions.

Vaccaro, 27, has five years of experience in the NFL, spending all five seasons with the Saints. In his career, Vaccaro has accumulated 283 tackles, 7.5 sacks and eight interceptions. Vaccaro had the best season of his career in 2017, with 48 tackles, 1.5 sacks and three interceptions.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/5/14/17351784/free-agent-safeties-tre-boston-and-kenny-vaccaro-visiting-with-colts

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think we'll probably try to sign both of them. Boston in case Hooker isnt ready by week 1 and Vaccaro as insurance for Geathers if he gets hurt again.

That would be a solid backfield. Hooker may not be back for a while and this would allow them to not rush it.  Geathers scares me, that was a serious injury for a guy who’s always hitting someone.  I hope he can stay healthy.  

• Like 3

The one thing I'd like to see is someone in the secondary standing up and taking a leadership role. If either of these two can do that, I'd be jumping up and down for them. If Vaccaro can play some slot, that would help in nickel against big tight ends. The pickups would definite breed additional competition which can't hurt.

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That would be a solid backfield. Hooker may not be back for a while and this would allow them to not rush it.  Geathers scares me, that was a serious injury for a guy who’s always hitting someone.  I hope he can stay healthy.  

I would definitely feel better with Boston and Vaccaro then farley and green 

• Like 1

I'm surprised Kenny Vaccaro and Tre Boston haven't been signed yet. With Hooker coming off a major injury, and Geathers injury history, either one would be a solid pick up. Ballard is building this Roster with depth and I love it; Something that Grigson wasn't able to do. We have the cap space to sign both of these guys. 

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Green I'm not too worried about. Even if he gets cut, I think he was a longshot to turn into something, and he's also a Grigson guy instead of a Ballard guy. I honestly think Boston or Vaccaro has the same chance of doing something for us, should we sign one of them. Hooker is the elephant as we need him healthy. He did tear both his ACL and his MCL though, and I think a lot of people on here forgot that. So his recovery time may be slightly longer than most of us thought. I think Boston and/or Vaccaro would be insurance to Hooker, hopefully not for long though, and they would be good depth players shortly after.

I don't think him being a Grigson or a Ballard guy makes any difference. If he has the talent who cares?

Kelly was a Grigson guy and I don't see anyone making it an issue.

I know Grigson failed at most over the last 3-4 years but why waist a player if he is good enough to make the team?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't think him being a Grigson or a Ballard guy makes any difference. If he has the talent who cares?

Kelly was a Grigson guy and I don't see anyone making it an issue.

I know Grigson failed at most over the last 3-4 years but why waist a player if he is good enough to make the team?

Kelly is probably a top 5 guy at his position if healthy and easily the 3rd best pick made by Grigson in 5 years as a GM besides Luck and Hilton. I could make an argument that Green is bottom 5 at his position and he is much worse at his position than some of the guys Grigson drafted that Ballard released or traded already.

Also, it's waste, not waist. Waist is the part of the body below the ribs and above the hips. Waste is to expend carelessly, the spelling you are looking for.

45 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Kelly is probably a top 5 guy at his position if healthy and easily the 3rd best pick made by Grigson in 5 years as a GM besides Luck and Hilton. I could make an argument that Green is bottom 5 at his position and he is much worse at his position than some of the guys Grigson drafted that Ballard released or traded already.

Also, it's waste, not waist. Waist is the part of the body below the ribs and above the hips. Waste is to expend carelessly, the spelling you are looking for.

My voice spellcheck was the problem with waist and waste. I just didn't proof read it like I normally do.

I wasn't trying to compare Grigson players at all. I was pointing out it don't make any difference if a player is Grigson or Ballard's. You seen to make it a point in your comment and I don't understand it.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My voice spellcheck was the problem with waist and waste. I just didn't proof read it like I normally do.

I wasn't trying to compare Grigson players at all. I was pointing out it don't make any difference if a player is Grigson or Ballard's. You seen to make it a point in your comment and I don't understand it.

I've seen you misspell the word waste specifically as waist about 10 times, so I thought I'd tell you. You normally never make any errors except that one, so I pointed it out. I'm pointing out that TJ Green is a Grigson player and not a Ballard one because Ballard has no problem getting rid of players that aren't his. He's gotten rid of players Grigson drafted other than Green like Allen, Dorsett, Anderson, and Moncrief that are more talented than Green. Green was at a thin position where Hooker got hurt last year, which is probably why he's still on the team. I think if Ballard signs Boston and/or Vaccaro, Green becomes expendable. Ballard has had a habit so far of having a much shorter leash with guys that he hasn't signed compared to guys he has (I know it's only his 2nd year as GM).

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe my memory just isn't what it used to be, but I always thought Bob was kind of a liability in coverage.

Bob should have had little helmet stickers on his helmet like WWII aces.  One for every guy who "saw stars" After a hit.

Side note...: remember that year we knocked QBs out of the game 4 or 5 weeks in a row..... literally?

41 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've seen you misspell the word waste specifically as waist about 10 times, so I thought I'd tell you. You normally never make any errors except that one, so I pointed it out. I'm pointing out that TJ Green is a Grigson player and not a Ballard one because Ballard has no problem getting rid of players that aren't his. He's gotten rid of players Grigson drafted other than Green like Allen, Dorsett, Anderson, and Moncrief that are more talented than Green. Green was at a thin position where Hooker got hurt last year, which is probably why he's still on the team. I think if Ballard signs Boston and/or Vaccaro, Green becomes expendable. Ballard has had a habit so far of having a much shorter leash with guys that he hasn't signed compared to guys he has (I know it's only his 2nd year as GM).

You answered the question yourself. Ballard is only in his 2nd year but IMO him letting a player go depends on the talent, not because he was drafted by Grigson. I don't see Ballard as the sentimental type.

I really hope this is only a depth and competition signing. This worries me only because it makes me think that Hooker may not be ready for the regular season opener. That would be disappointing but understandable obviously. Extra depth and help is never bad. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

Boston is pretty good competition, but I don't know if I see him starting over Mathias Farley.  I'm not counting Farley out just yet.  But I am glad Ballard is starting to work on the secondary.  If he can get that unit tightened up a bit more I'll be very happy!

We need a corner

12 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think they will go with 5, as I expect them to run a lot of big nickel in sub packages.

Having 5 would give you depth at two of those positions, but makes even more sense when you factor in Hooker and Geathers health.

Signing someone like Tre Boston would be a wise move IMO.

- Hooker is coming off a serious injury.

- Geathers' neck is a huge question mark.

- Farley is a solid backup and Special Teams player, but I don't want him starting.

- TJ Green, is well, you know, the project.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:40 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe my memory just isn't what it used to be, but I always thought Bob was kind of a liability in coverage.

I don't think he was a liability, but he did get there late a few times from what I can remember?

Of course there were also a number of times arriving a bit late was a bad thing for the receiver, lol.