Dawson - 6'0" and 254

E. Johnson - 6'2" and 296

A. Johnson - 6'3" and 310

Foster - 6'2" and 265

Muir - 6'2" and 298

Moala - 6'3" and 303

Matthews - 6'3" and 294

Brayton - 6'6" and 280

Outside of Simon and Booger who were Pro Bowlers prior to arriving and were at the end of thier careers we never had any true talent. Closest we came was the Johnson's (Edward and Anthony).....

The average weight of those 20 players: 287.9.....which is a little light in the britches to say the least. Compare that to Tampa and Chicago's defensive lines (at the same time) and you'll start to understand why we got trampled in the run game back then - regardless of our undersized, fast linebackers.

Now, looking at the 8 currently rostered defensive tackles they average 310 lbs with the lightest at 295. Al Woods and Grover Stewart at 330 will command the double teams while whomever earns the UT spots should be able to hold thier own in the running game but also penetrate and cause havoc/discomfort in the backfield.

Simon and Sheard were good against the run last year for us as well, so I'm a bit more optimistic that we'll be better at controlling the run game than some think.....pundits and fans alike.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

2002 thru 2011 Cover 2 DT/UT

Scioli - 6'3" and 280

Williams - 6'3" and 290

Triplett - 6'2" and 300

Pugh - 6'2" and 270

Cannida - 6'2" and 275

Reagor - 6'2" and 285

Brock - 6'4" and 274

Reid - 6'2" and 288

*Simon - 6'0" and 320 (2 seasons)

Thomas - 6'5" and 277

*McFarland - 6'0" and 300 (2 seasons)

Pitcock - 6'3" and 299

Dawson - 6'0" and 254

E. Johnson - 6'2" and 296

A. Johnson - 6'3" and 310

Foster - 6'2" and 265

Muir - 6'2" and 298

Moala - 6'3" and 303

Matthews - 6'3" and 294

Brayton - 6'6" and 280

Outside of Simon and Booger who were Pro Bowlers prior to arriving and were at the end of thier careers we never had any true talent. Closest we came was the Johnson's (Edward and Anthony).....

The average weight of those 20 players: 287.9.....which is a little light in the britches to say the least. Compare that to Tampa and Chicago's defensive lines (at the same time) and you'll start to understand why we got trampled in the run game back then - regardless of our undersized, fast linebackers.

Now, looking at the 8 currently rostered defensive tackles they average 310 lbs with the lightest at 295. Al Woods and Grover Stewart at 330 will command the double teams while whomever earns the UT spots should be able to hold thier own in the running game but also penetrate and cause havoc/discomfort in the backfield.

Simon and Sheard were good against the run last year for us as well, so I'm a bit more optimistic that we'll be better at controlling the run game than some think.....pundits and fans alike.

Pitcock had potential if he would have just quit the video games....or at least that was his excuse for being depressed and retiring??

I really thought Drake Nevis was going to be the answer to our prayers back then. He flashed in pre-season then cut a year later. That list is like the Island of Misfit toys. The mock drafts onthis board for about 5 straight years was a DT in the 1st and it never happened. I hope Ballard makes it more of a priority.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I really thought Drake Nevis was going to be the answer to our prayers back then. He flashed in pre-season then cut a year later. That list is like the Island of Misfit toys. The mock drafts onthis board for about 5 straight years was a DT in the 1st and it never happened. I hope Ballard makes it more of a priority.

Names from the ugly past!  Don’t want to start the Hankins thing again, but everyone has to admit he was better than anyone we have now.  

I understand the Ballard plan, I’m totally on board.  As long as he wins a SB by next year (jk).

31 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Wasn't he cut after the switch to the 3-4?

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Names from the ugly past!  Don’t want to start the Hankins thing again, but everyone has to admit he was better than anyone we have now.  

I understand the Ballard plan, I’m totally on board.  As long as he wins a SB by next year (jk).

I believe Hankins is more of a two gap 0 tech, someone that would be a much better fit up in Detroit under Matt Patricia than in Indy with our D changes.  Our D line is going to line up on the shoulders on the O linemen (not straight up on them) as penetrating 1 gappers.

I'm willing to see Ballard/Eberflus redevelop the 4-3  with fast players that fit the scheme.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Polian said he regretted not focusing on getting DTs like MacFarland and Simon before they did. Not those two in particular but addressing the positions.

To his credit, his hands were often tied in that regard.  Corey Simon went to the Eagles at #6 overall, Colts selected at #28 (Rob Morris). When Polian got him (Simon) in FA, it turned out to be the worst (and most regrettable) decision in his GM career by his own admission.  He often mentioned the fast and BIG people (any position for the most part) were always gone by the time the Manning lead Colts got to pick.  So it was either Big slow guys, or smaller fast guys.  Polian/Dungy went with the latter.

The two times we picked high, after Peyton's rookie debut, and after the 2001 6-10 debacle,  We took Edgerrin James in 1999, and in 2002 draft, we took Dwight Freeney at #11, where John Henederson came off the board two picks before to the Jags, but Albert Haynesworth was still there and went to the Titans 4 picks after Freeney. I'm glad we got Freeney in any event. But finding good DT's that fit the scheme at the end of round 1 or round 2 was tough.