Sign in to follow this  
oldunclemark

The Denver Broncos

......may have had the best draft in the AFC..

Bradley Chubb...a bookend OLB with Von Miller.....he starts immediately

WR - Courtland Sutton.........a big strong WR with 'basketball player hands'

RB - Royce Freeman......a bigger version of just-released CJ Anderson....he starts immediately

WR - DaeShaun Hamilton....Penn State's all time leading receiver ,,perfect for the slot,,,.a glaring need

ILB - Josey Jewell....all Big-10 at Iowa....top tackler....a perfect fit on the inside for an injury prone Bronco position

undrafted and undersized pass rusher - free agent Jeff Holland..Auburn's sack leader ..an all-SEC player (how come nobody drafted him?)

..even if no one else pans out.....everybody here is going to play significant roles if not start.

• Like 1

Really solid draft but the same problem for them since peyton left (and you could even say in peytons last year), lack of a quality QB. 

Keenum was good last year but i tend to believe he returns to what he has been everywhere else except minnesota.

• Thanks 1

Why wasn't Jeff Holland of Auburn drafted.....anybody know?

I know hes undersized for DE.....but he was undersized in the SEC, too and he had 10 sacks.

10 hours ago, James said:

And Case Keenum as QB.

I know what you're saying but they could not go with a rookie again.

Denver needed a guy who has been a winning quarterback....

They seem to love the guy..and they drafted RBs and WRs to help him.

..and Jewell and Chubb....could both start

Broncos are going to be a very interesting team ......and if Case does what he did last year....a playoff team

Chubb & Miller on the edges......... ouch! I loved watching the Denver D squash New England.

16 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Really solid draft but the same problem for them since peyton left (and you could even say in peytons last year), lack of a quality QB. 

Keenum was good last year but i tend to believe he returns to what he has been everywhere else except minnesota.

Keenum is just keeping the seat warm until Chad Kelly is ready to take the reins. You didn't hear a peep from Kelly last year and that was a good thing. Besides being a knucklehead, Kelly has the potential to be a very good NFL QB and I've been pretty high on him for years. If he can keep his head on straight, the Broncos QB search is over. 

47 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Keenum is just keeping the seat warm until Chad Kelly is ready to take the reins. You didn't hear a peep from Kelly last year and that was a good thing. Besides being a knucklehead, Kelly has the potential to be a very good NFL QB and I've been pretty high on him for years. If he can keep his head on straight, the Broncos QB search is over. 

I agree that the next QB after Keenum will probably be Chad Kelly...and the best thing he could be doing is working with the large numbers of newcomers the Broncos have brought in the past 2 years.

But reading words out of Denver, they think they have a playoff team...with case this year.

They think they drafted as many as four (Chubb. Freeman. Hamilton and Jewell))who will be staring this year

They got the RT from Arizona..the punter from Oakland, the safety Cravens from Washington.

Those moves suggest an all-in for this season...

They got everything they were trying to get in the draft

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree that the next QB after Keenum will probably be Chad Kelly...and the best thing he could be doing is working with the large numbers of newcomers the Broncos have brought in the past 2 years.

But reading words out of Denver, they think they have a playoff team...with case this year.

They think they drafted as many as four (Chubb. Freeman. Hamilton and Jewell))who will be staring this year

They got the RT from Arizona..the punter from Oakland, the safety Cravens from Washington.

Those moves suggest an all-in for this season...

They got everything they were trying to get in the draft

Agreed. They are built to win now. Their draft haul filled a few of their most pressing needs but I still think they need another CB.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why wasn't Jeff Holland of Auburn drafted.....anybody know?

I know hes undersized for DE.....but he was undersized in the SEC, too and he had 10 sacks.

Beats me, I wish the Colts would have taken a flier on him when he was sitting there in Round 7. Is it because he played more from a two point stance? 

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-olb-1

He did not test well and Ballard wasn't taking many chances with the ones that did not test well on the "athlete" tests, I guess. Not sure. If he took a chance on Turay, why not this guy?

Yes, I do think the Broncos had a heck of a draft. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Beats me, I wish the Colts would have taken a flier on him when he was sitting there in Round 7. Is it because he played more from a two point stance? 

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-olb-1

He did not test well and Ballard wasn't taking many chances with the ones that did not test well on the "athlete" tests, I guess. Not sure. If he took a chance on Turay, why not this guy?

Yes, I do think the Broncos had a heck of a draft. 

Thanks..I was wondering if there were off the field problems.

NYG's already like Lorenzo Carter a lot..from what I read

I wish we'd see if the Broncos OLB Shane Ray is available..

They declined his 5th year option....so, barring a Pro Bowl year, he's out of Denver.\.....

.....you wont have to give them much because they lose him altogether at the end of the season...

Mid round draft choice..probably

Edited by oldunclemark

Broncos are my number 2 team but I see the Chargers and KC as bigger threats for the AFCW. Roster has improved yes..... But the coaching staff is Pagano-esque....

Btw I live in Denver (currently in Cozumel,  MX on vacation :banana:). Moved from Indy to CO in '13. So I hear tons of Broncos sport talk. Still I am not sold on the Broncos winning the division. I see the Colts having a similar ( if not better) record as the donkeys ....... IF Luck is healthy and plays all season. 

16 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Agreed. They are built to win now. Their draft haul filled a few of their most pressing needs but I still think they need another CB.

Their roster was better than the Colts last year as well..... But W's are the only thing that matters. I don't believe any team that is picking top 5 has a roster for winning now. Unless they draft a young Peyton somehow. Agreed that they got bigger names in the draft but no one can say Elway had a great draft until we see results. In my parts John has been criticized for flunking the draft repeatedly.... on offense at least.

On 5/13/2018 at 3:32 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance everywhere he's been, even during those team's serious low points. That's why he keeps getting gigs. Knowing Elway though Keenum might still not get the break he deserves.

24 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance everywhere he's been, even during those team's serious low points. That's why he keeps getting gigs. Knowing Elway though Keenum might still not get the break he deserves.

Case is the starter.....

...They've already said that there is no QB competition....apparently Kubiak has known him many years and swears by him as a leader

If he just plays the way he did in Minnesota...Denver will be fine..They are still loaded defensively

He wouldn't be the first quarterback to have not really done anything wrong to be axed by Elway if that's what happens. And by not do anything wrong I mean not ball like Peyton Manning in 2013. That seems to be the only way you're safe in Denver.

Issue with Denver is the same as usual. While they have made a couple moves the OL is still very suspect imo....especially in the division they play in....LA, OAK, KC all pressure qb well. I also think they are still weak at LB. Teams like NE and KC who have great TEs and utilize RBs in passing game will continue to haunt Denvers defense. That's my issues. Every team has them...I realize that but those positions I think still need upgraded to get them back to SB contenders.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, BloodyChamp said:

He wouldn't be the first quarterback to have not really done anything wrong to be axed by Elway if that's what happens.

???

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

???

He wouldn't be the first quarterback to have not really done anything wrong to be axed by Elway if that's what happens.

While their draft looks good on paper, their QB situation has not stabilized and Vance Joseph has not really proven anything as a HC.  IMO, these issues need to be overcome in order for the Broncos to get back as a contender.