Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Denver Broncos

oldunclemark

......may have had the best draft in the AFC..

Bradley Chubb...a bookend OLB with Von Miller.....he starts immediately

WR - Courtland Sutton.........a big strong WR with 'basketball player hands'

RB - Royce Freeman......a bigger version of just-released CJ Anderson....he starts immediately

WR - DaeShaun Hamilton....Penn State's all time leading receiver ,,perfect for the slot,,,.a glaring need

ILB - Josey Jewell....all Big-10 at Iowa....top tackler....a perfect fit on the inside for an injury prone Bronco position

undrafted and undersized pass rusher - free agent Jeff Holland..Auburn's sack leader ..an all-SEC player (how come nobody drafted him?)

..even if no one else pans out.....everybody here is going to play significant roles if not start.

• Like 1

Really solid draft but the same problem for them since peyton left (and you could even say in peytons last year), lack of a quality QB. 

Keenum was good last year but i tend to believe he returns to what he has been everywhere else except minnesota.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, James said:

And Case Keenum as QB.

I know what you're saying but they could not go with a rookie again.

Denver needed a guy who has been a winning quarterback....

They seem to love the guy..and they drafted RBs and WRs to help him.

..and Jewell and Chubb....could both start

Broncos are going to be a very interesting team ......and if Case does what he did last year....a playoff team

16 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Really solid draft but the same problem for them since peyton left (and you could even say in peytons last year), lack of a quality QB. 

Keenum was good last year but i tend to believe he returns to what he has been everywhere else except minnesota.

Keenum is just keeping the seat warm until Chad Kelly is ready to take the reins. You didn't hear a peep from Kelly last year and that was a good thing. Besides being a knucklehead, Kelly has the potential to be a very good NFL QB and I've been pretty high on him for years. If he can keep his head on straight, the Broncos QB search is over. 

47 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Keenum is just keeping the seat warm until Chad Kelly is ready to take the reins. You didn't hear a peep from Kelly last year and that was a good thing. Besides being a knucklehead, Kelly has the potential to be a very good NFL QB and I've been pretty high on him for years. If he can keep his head on straight, the Broncos QB search is over. 

I agree that the next QB after Keenum will probably be Chad Kelly...and the best thing he could be doing is working with the large numbers of newcomers the Broncos have brought in the past 2 years.

But reading words out of Denver, they think they have a playoff team...with case this year.

They think they drafted as many as four (Chubb. Freeman. Hamilton and Jewell))who will be staring this year

They got the RT from Arizona..the punter from Oakland, the safety Cravens from Washington.

Those moves suggest an all-in for this season...

They got everything they were trying to get in the draft

12 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree that the next QB after Keenum will probably be Chad Kelly...and the best thing he could be doing is working with the large numbers of newcomers the Broncos have brought in the past 2 years.

But reading words out of Denver, they think they have a playoff team...with case this year.

They think they drafted as many as four (Chubb. Freeman. Hamilton and Jewell))who will be staring this year

They got the RT from Arizona..the punter from Oakland, the safety Cravens from Washington.

Those moves suggest an all-in for this season...

They got everything they were trying to get in the draft

Agreed. They are built to win now. Their draft haul filled a few of their most pressing needs but I still think they need another CB.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Why wasn't Jeff Holland of Auburn drafted.....anybody know?

I know hes undersized for DE.....but he was undersized in the SEC, too and he had 10 sacks.

Beats me, I wish the Colts would have taken a flier on him when he was sitting there in Round 7. Is it because he played more from a two point stance? 

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-olb-1

He did not test well and Ballard wasn't taking many chances with the ones that did not test well on the "athlete" tests, I guess. Not sure. If he took a chance on Turay, why not this guy?

Yes, I do think the Broncos had a heck of a draft. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Beats me, I wish the Colts would have taken a flier on him when he was sitting there in Round 7. Is it because he played more from a two point stance? 

https://www.footballcouchscout.com/copy-of-olb-1

He did not test well and Ballard wasn't taking many chances with the ones that did not test well on the "athlete" tests, I guess. Not sure. If he took a chance on Turay, why not this guy?

Yes, I do think the Broncos had a heck of a draft. 

Thanks..I was wondering if there were off the field problems.

NYG's already like Lorenzo Carter a lot..from what I read

I wish we'd see if the Broncos OLB Shane Ray is available..

They declined his 5th year option....so, barring a Pro Bowl year, he's out of Denver.\.....

.....you wont have to give them much because they lose him altogether at the end of the season...

Mid round draft choice..probably

Edited by oldunclemark

Broncos are my number 2 team but I see the Chargers and KC as bigger threats for the AFCW. Roster has improved yes..... But the coaching staff is Pagano-esque....

Btw I live in Denver (currently in Cozumel,  MX on vacation :banana:). Moved from Indy to CO in '13. So I hear tons of Broncos sport talk. Still I am not sold on the Broncos winning the division. I see the Colts having a similar ( if not better) record as the donkeys ....... IF Luck is healthy and plays all season. 

16 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Agreed. They are built to win now. Their draft haul filled a few of their most pressing needs but I still think they need another CB.

Their roster was better than the Colts last year as well..... But W's are the only thing that matters. I don't believe any team that is picking top 5 has a roster for winning now. Unless they draft a young Peyton somehow. Agreed that they got bigger names in the draft but no one can say Elway had a great draft until we see results. In my parts John has been criticized for flunking the draft repeatedly.... on offense at least.

On 5/13/2018 at 3:32 AM, DaveA1102 said:

Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance everywhere he's been, even during those team's serious low points. That's why he keeps getting gigs. Knowing Elway though Keenum might still not get the break he deserves.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Keenum has shown flashes of brilliance everywhere he's been, even during those team's serious low points. That's why he keeps getting gigs. Knowing Elway though Keenum might still not get the break he deserves.

Case is the starter.....

...They've already said that there is no QB competition....apparently Kubiak has known him many years and swears by him as a leader

If he just plays the way he did in Minnesota...Denver will be fine..They are still loaded defensively

He wouldn't be the first quarterback to have not really done anything wrong to be axed by Elway if that's what happens. And by not do anything wrong I mean not ball like Peyton Manning in 2013. That seems to be the only way you're safe in Denver.

Issue with Denver is the same as usual. While they have made a couple moves the OL is still very suspect imo....especially in the division they play in....LA, OAK, KC all pressure qb well. I also think they are still weak at LB. Teams like NE and KC who have great TEs and utilize RBs in passing game will continue to haunt Denvers defense. That's my issues. Every team has them...I realize that but those positions I think still need upgraded to get them back to SB contenders.

• 2 months later...
On 5/22/2018 at 8:23 AM, Reality Check said:

While their draft looks good on paper, their QB situation has not stabilized and Vance Joseph has not really proven anything as a HC.  IMO, these issues need to be overcome in order for the Broncos to get back as a contender.

The QB situation is a major upgrade over last year

Case isnt great but they dont need 'great', they just need to not throw more interceptions than touchdowns

On 5/19/2018 at 11:09 PM, BloodyChamp said:

He wouldn't be the first quarterback to have not really done anything wrong to be axed by Elway if that's what happens.

He would be.

You talking about Tim Tebow?...Tim wasnt very good at the postion he was playing.

They seem to love Keenum....he isnt going anywhere

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That is good to hear. I hope he succeeds with Denver. I am looking forward to seeing WR Daeshaun Hamilton. I hope Case targets him a few times a game.  Case tends to lock in on his favorite receivers and does not target other guys.

The Vikes play the Broncos in the first preseason game. I guess we won't see much of Case in that game.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

That is good to hear. I hope he succeeds with Denver. I am looking forward to seeing WR Daeshaun Hamilton. I hope Case targets him a few times a game.  Case tends to lock in on his favorite receivers and does not target other guys.

The Vikes play the Broncos in the first preseason game. I guess we won't see much of Case in that game.

I'm not sure he wont play.....I think they want him to get out there with his new receivers.

They are very optimistic about Hamilton and Courtland Sutton from SMU..

Case is an enigma to me....How many teams has he played for..?  He wasn't even drafted?

But he did a good job in Minnesota..few turnovers….and he was the all-time leading Division I passer in college?   His history facts don't match up.

But for a guy who hasn't played a down for the team yet, they love him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

He would be.

You talking about Tim Tebow?...Tim wasnt very good at the postion he was playing.

That doesn't exactly nullify what I said. Tim Tebow wasn't good but he generally didn't do anything wrong, and that limped his team into the playoffs. He only lost his job to Peyton because that's where Peyton basically chose to go on a retirement vacation, and even Peyton was eventually benched. Granted Peyton was bad but everybody who has came after him has also been benched even though they weren't necessarily the reason the Broncos didn't win the SB every year since.

4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

But for a guy who hasn't played a down for the team yet, they love him.

Case is a great person. Read his story in the Player's Tribune (below). Case has a lot of heart. He does not give up on plays. I believe he made our OL look a lot better than it was as he knew how to evade pressure. I liked those traits in Case. However, he frustrated some fans by forcing the ball to his favorite targets when he probably should have tried passing to another receiver or should have thrown the ball away. He often missed guys who were open. 

I want Case to perform well. Same for Bradford and Teddy. Those were a great group of guys.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/case-keenum-vikings-playoffs

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

That doesn't exactly nullify what I said. Tim Tebow wasn't good but he generally didn't do anything wrong, and that limped his team into the playoffs. He only lost his job to Peyton because that's where Peyton basically chose to go on a retirement vacation, and even Peyton was eventually benched. Granted Peyton was bad but everybody who has came after him has also been benched even though they weren't necessarily the reason the Broncos didn't win the SB every year since.

I see what you mean...of course he didnt do anything wrong....Tebow played as well as he could

But Tim lost out to Peyton because Tim was very limited as a player and it was obvious....

.....lets be honest.....Elway was right...

If Tebow had been backing up Peyton when Peyton got hurt....the Broncos never get anywhere near the Super Bowl.  Tim wasn't even Brock Osweiler in 2015.

So its fair to say that..Tebow lost out to Peyton because Elway wanted to go to the championship game...which he did twice.

11 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Case is a great person. Read his story in the Player's Tribune (below). Case has a lot of heart. He does not give up on plays. I believe he made our OL look a lot better than it was as he knew how to evade pressure. I liked those traits in Case. However, he frustrated some fans by forcing the ball to his favorite targets when he probably should have tried passing to another receiver or should have thrown the ball away. He often missed guys who were open. 

I want Case to perform well. Same for Bradford and Teddy. Those were a great group of guys.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/case-keenum-vikings-playoffs

That's a good story......he's never been the 'No. 1' guy..

..and he clearly feeds on his teammates believing in him....

and he's what Denver needs...a confident natural leader after 2 years of guys who were not sure what they were doing at the helm...

...but to be totally honest.....in my opinion....(and I think you'll see)

.....Kirk Cousins is an upgrade over Case.

...Kirk is a very aggressive...equally confident and he simply has a better arm.  Plus a real hunger to prove himself.

BC....spoke of Denver signing Peyton Manning and letting Tim Tebow go in 2011..

It was an upgrade..Tebow did as well as he could....but a better guy became available.

There's obviously not nearly as much difference between Casey and Kirk as there was Manning and Tebow...but the thought is the same...

To me, the Vikings wanted to augment a great defense with a more prolific passer, especially playing indoors where he can dominate teams throwing the ball..

We'll see. But I think letting Case go and signing Kirk Cousins was a very good move.  Even if Case gets the Broncos to the playoffs

Edited by oldunclemark
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

We'll see. But I think letting Case go and signing Kirk Cousins was a very good move.

I don't disagree. I was not comparing Case to Cousins. (I made no mention of Kirk.) I liked Cousins very much when he was with Washington. He should play well in MN, especially with Dalvin Cook here. I am pretty excited. :D But with our history, I can't get my hopes too too high. Our schedule looks hard.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't disagree. I was not comparing Case to Cousins. (I made no mention of Kirk.) I liked Cousins very much when he was with Washington. He should play well in MN, especially with Dalvin Cook here. I am pretty excited. :D But with our history, I can't get my hopes too too high. Our schedule looks hard.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know you werent comparing the two....

.....I just wanted to say that both Denver and Minnesota upgraded their QB situation...

.....I'm a high hopes guy.....and both look good (and similar) on paper

Upgrade on offense..and loaded up on defense

If I was to predict..I'd pick Minnesota to win the NFC Central and Denver to win the AFC West...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Denver to win the AFC West...

I would not mind seeing that, but I really want Philip Rivers and the Chargers to go to a Super Bowl. I am hoping it will be this year. I think he is a Hall of Famer but many believe he is not. A Super Bowl will get him in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I would not mind seeing that, but I really want Philip Rivers and the Chargers to go to a Super Bowl. I am hoping it will be this year. I think he is a Hall of Famer but many believe he is not. A Super Bowl will get him in. 

I think this is a possibility for Rivers this year.  I feel he (if Chargers stay healthy) and Eli can both make waves this season in the twilight of their careers. Not easy for either, but possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I know you werent comparing the two....

.....I just wanted to say that both Denver and Minnesota upgraded their QB situation...

.....I'm a high hopes guy.....and both look good (and similar) on paper

Upgrade on offense..and loaded up on defense

If I was to predict..I'd pick Minnesota to win the NFC Central and Denver to win the AFC West...

I am a bit partial but Denver will struggle to get ahead of the Raiders let alone KC and LAC

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think this is a possibility for Rivers this year.  I feel he (if Chargers stay healthy) and Eli can both make waves this season in the twilight of their careers. Not easy for either, but possible.

Rivers has had a bad habit of shooting himself in the foot

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am a bit partial but Denver will struggle to get ahead of the Raiders let alone KC and LAC

Rivers has had a bad habit of shooting himself in the foot

At times, but he is a vet, seen it all and is talented. Besides, even a blind squirrel sometimes stumbles upon a nut.

I do not trust rookie Mahomes enough to give him the division, still not sure Gruden has a handle on the new NFL yet, nor that Keenum, in first year at Denver, can bring what he showed last year in Minnesota.  Phillip Rivers has the inside track and the team with the talent and ability to get and stay out front, if they stay healthy and on the field.

5 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

At times, but he is a vet, seen it all and is talented. Besides, even a blind squirrel sometimes stumbles upon a nut.

I do not trust rookie Mahomes enough to give him the division, still not sure Gruden has a handle on the new NFL yet, and that Keenum, in first year at Denver, can bring what he showed last year in Minnesota.  Phillip Rivers has the inside track and the team with the talent and ability to get and stay out front, if they stay healthy and on the field.

View from a Chief fan

1. LAC 

2. KC 

3. Raiders/Denver

The Broncos have too many flaws and CK only solves one if he plays like he did in Minnesota

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

View from a Chief fan

1. LAC 

2. KC 

3. Raiders/Denver

The Broncos have too many flaws and CK only solves one if he plays like he did in Minnesota

Agree, if Mahomes is what Reid believes (and Reid has a good track record) and Keenum reverts to his old self.

• Like 1