Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Waiver Wire Pick-Ups & 1 Year Contracts

Scott Pennock

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

For those of us that thought we should have drafted a corner or even a safety as injury insurance, the great news is we are #3 on the waiver wire.

Rakeem Nunez- Roches (salary dump) will just be the first waiver wire pick-up this preseason.

Neither the Giants nor the Browns play the same scheme and they both seem pretty well stocked in the secondary, so the likelyhood of the FO picking up a quality player or 6 is pretty decent!

It could end up being the best of both worlds, we had a solid draft, a few good UDFA signings AND the ability to pick up a young, talented veteran (like Nunez) or even one of those rookie corners we wanted (Meeks, McFadden, Kameron Kelly) or even a LB like Scales....

If you are a player on the Colts right now, especially the bottom 20% I would make sure I left everything on the field every practice!

Very good point. All those fringe players that teams would hope to get on their PS at the end of camp or the type you spoke of. Should have some decent choices sooner or later and hopefully this point has been made in the locker room somehow that nobody’s jobs are safe and don’t be the guy who makes it easy on a coach to swap you out. 

I've been just as excited about our waiver wire placement as I was about our draft placement since the season ended. So many times in the past we'd see solid players getting cut and know we had basically no chance of getting them since one of the 15-20 teams before us would take them.

It's not just this year's late round picks and UDFAs...it's anyone with less than 4 years of experience. And you never know who could get released.

I am with you on CB. Thought it was strange that Ballard didn't really address the position...and thought he might have missed an opportunity. But there's still plenty of time.

Given Ballard's propensity to have several players for depth and completion, ideally they bring in two CBs who could realistically make the roster.

Meeks or McFadden are also the guys I want. But there could be an interesting 2016 or 2017 draftee that becomes available. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

It's not just this year's late round picks and UDFAs...it's anyone with less than 4 years of experience. And you never know who could get released.

Yup, like with McClain and Nunez-Roches we could be getting guys who are still young and have a lot of potential. Like you I'm also hoping we bring in a CB or two who still has some potential. That's the position I think we could use depth at the most right now.

15 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I am with you on CB. Thought it was strange that Ballard didn't really address the position...and thought he might have missed an opportunity. But there's still plenty of time.

Given Ballard's propensity to have several players for depth and completion, ideally they bring in two CBs who could realistically make the roster.

Meeks or McFadden are also the guys I want. But there could be an interesting 2016 or 2017 draftee that becomes available. 

Something interesting from the write up on Cain today.....he dropped the 6th round and it seems as though they had another player in mind....but he dropped again so they bet on the talent. Could have been a corner?

14 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup, like with McClain and Nunez-Roches we could be getting guys who are still young (24,26) and have a lot of potential. Like you I'm also hoping we bring in a CB or two who still has some potential. That's the position I think we could use depth/position at the most right now.

Yessir.....some very interesting names could shake out and we get 1 or 2 of them. For example.....a team heavy on the dline, or at lb or at corner could waive someone with talent but need the roster spot elsewhere!

• Like 1

Very interesting.  But it is important to remember, we had 11 draft picks, plus all the college Free Agents, plus any future waiver wire signing.  That could be well into the 20's.  There's only 53 allowed on the roster, so not all of those 20 somethings are going to make it.  A potential many of those players not getting jobs. Hopefully the ones that do are of high quality performance and character.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Very interesting.  But it is important to remember, we had 11 draft picks, plus all the college Free Agents, plus any future waiver wire signing.  That could be well into the 20's.  There's only 53 allowed on the roster, so not all of those 20 somethings are going to make it.  A potential many of those players not getting jobs. Hopefully the ones that do are of high quality performance and character.

If this roster was as void of talent as most thought it was there is a good chance we will see a lot of new faces on the final 53.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If this roster was as void of talent as most thought it was there is a good chance we will see a lot of new faces on the final 53.

This roster IS as void of talent as most have thought.

Who says so?    Chris Ballard.

He says so with words and actions.   His words are...   this is a three-year rebuild.

His actions are to collect as many draft picks as humanly possible.   He added extra picks before the 18 draft and more during the draft.   He started with nine picks and ended with 11.

He changed the way he did business in free agency from 17 to 18.    Why?   In part to get an extra 4, with the hope of more (which doesn't look like it will happen).

And he'll start the 19 draft with two extra picks and given his two-draft track record, he'll likely add more picks once the draft starts.

ALL OF THAT screams that the GM of the Colts is admitting that his roster needs a LOT of work.   I don't think there's another way to interpret these events.

Objective observers put the talent on this roster at or near the bottom.    The people who don't accept that are....  fans.   Because that's what fans do.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Objective observers put the talent on this roster at or near the bottom.    The people who don't accept that are....  fans.   Because that's what fans do.

My thoughts are with those who think this team will do a complete turnaround this season. Getting the players who seem to be a part of what we need to make a winning team will not be known this season. It is hard for any team in the middle of a rebuild to have a lot of success when the majority of the roster is as young and inexperienced as we are.

IMO it will take time before we know what we have and even then the players have to learn to play as a unit. These things don't normally happen in one season.

The thing that no one is bringing up and are avoiding is are these coaches the ones needed? How long will it take for a whole new coaching staff to work together themselves? Most of them know each other but knowing each other does not automatically bring wins. One bad cog in the coaching staff could be a bad thing.

In the mean time being excited about the new changes is natural for most fans. I am normally a pretty optimistic but I have also learned to curb my excitement when it comes to the reality of what the Colts are doing this season. IMO we are heading in the right direction but I am not sure about arriving there just yet.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

My thoughts are with those who think this team will do a complete turnaround this season. Getting the players who seem to be a part of what we need to make a winning team will not be known this season. It is hard for any team in the middle of a rebuild to have a lot of success when the majority of the roster is as young and inexperienced as we are.

IMO it will take time before we know what we have and even then the players have to learn to play as a unit. These things don't normally happen in one season.

The thing that no one is bringing up and are avoiding is are these coaches the ones needed? How long will it take for a whole new coaching staff to work together themselves? Most of them know each other but knowing each other does not automatically bring wins. One bad cog in the coaching staff could be a bad thing.

In the mean time being excited about the new changes is natural for most fans. I am normally a pretty optimistic but I have also learned to curb my excitement when it comes to the reality of what the Colts are doing this season. IMO we are heading in the right direction but I am not sure about arriving there just yet.

Good post.....

For me,  I think part of the beauty and fun of the NFL came in a stretch just a few years ago where for 8 straight years some team went from finishing last in their division one year,   to winning the division the next year.   A worst to first within the division.   That kind of thing gives great hope to all fans.   If your team sucked one year,  they can get right back in it the next year with a great off-season.

New Orleans had an incredible draft in 17,  four or five starters and BOTH the offensive and defensive rookies of the year....   incredible injection of talent.     It CAN be done.

But while it's possible,  more typically it's not likely.    And I try to use words like possible and likely or unlikely when I forecast things.

Yes,  it's possible that the Colts could catch lightening in a bottle.    Luck could be healthy for 16 games and his old self.    Ballard's TWO drafts could be great fits for his new schemes and the coaching staff could be aces.   The injury bug would have to stay far, far away from us.   We'd likely need ALL OF THAT to happen.    It's IS possible.    But it's NOT likely. 

I really do think we're going to be improved.   I think we win 6-8 games and are far more competitive than we were last year.    I think we're on the right track.     Another off-season of limited, targeted free agency and a heavy haul of draft picks and we could look seriously different than we have the last 3 years under Pagano.     I mean seriously night and day different.    In 19,  I think we're likely winning 9-11 games

Assuming Luck is back to being Luck,   I think in 2020 we're on a lot of lists as a favorite for winning the South and making a run in the playoffs.   A team that few want to play.   

I understand that we could surprise and come into the spotlight a year sooner than expected.    It's possible.   But it's not likely.    I realize many fans will see it it differently.    And I'm very much OK with that....

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ballard don't mess around. 

Just like us Lolly!  HA!  When I am not on all of these extended vacations :)  

I need to really hold my thoughts on this team until I get a chance to see them on the field.  I think I am as worried about the coaching as I am about Luck's health and new talent/lack of on the team.  If I am not familiar with a couple of the guys....it is a strange choice.  I hope these coaches are hidden gems...I really do.  :td::thmup:

• Like 3

I don't feel real wobbly about the offense.   I think the system they are installing is a really good system. And what they want to do with it makes sense.   I trust that the OL is going to be much improved.  It's mostly a veteran group at receiver as far as the starters go.  The same thing can be said for the TE Group.  I think we possibly have a talented group of young runners with the ole vet Robert Turbin mixed in.   As long as Luck remains healthy I don't think it will take long for that group to make some noise.   The defense on the other hand is kind of wait and see, but there is some unproven talent there.

• Like 1

No Kidding! This is exciting. its so easy to jump out the window but you have to trust the guy that is making the decisions. Lets see the finished product. Assuming Luck is healthy, our O line WILL be MUCH better and so will our D line. I really think Ballard will bring in a lot more linebackers and defensive backs. We have never had a GM do what Ballard is doing with creating so much competition at all positions