Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Not another Hines Thread...

Scott Pennock

I see a lot of people bemoaning that he's a rookie who has never taken a snap at the NFL level, and while that is true, the man was drafted for a very specific position on the offense based off of his measurables, production, mindset and a playbook that needed a name on that specific position.

Frank Reich has had his playbook put together over years of learning under Levy and the K-Gun, to Moore here in Indy to the West Coast concepts of the Andy Reid tree.

I won't go too far back here for you.....all you need to do is look up the 2013- 2015 seasons of Danny Woodhead in San Diego and the 2016 Darren Sproles and 2017 Darren Sproles/Corey Clement seasons in Philly to get a good sight picture of EXACTLY how Himes will be utilized.

Rookie or not, he will make a similar impact as those players playing in a similar system.

The other common denominator in those systems (including New England with Dion Lewis) is they have multiple talented tight ends that will run clearing routes that help the RB leak out into the flat, or run uncovered up the seam, or wheel routes, etc., etc.

So smart, aggressive, creative coaches can "scheme" people open unlike the last regime....

28 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I see a lot of people bemoaning that he's a rookie who has never taken a snap at the NFL level

What rookie has taken a snap at the NFL level?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

HINES!   Not Himes!   With an "n" and not an "m".

Otherwise.....  Many thanks! 

Fixed it....lol

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

What rookie has taken a snap at the NFL level?

Is this a serious question or am I missing the sarcasm font....?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

On the basis of what? 

The law of averages.

If you, like the OP, feel he will shine as a rookie, the burden is on you to show why.  It's not on me or others disprove it. 

After the initial post, I'm not exactly  ready to jump on the bandwagon 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, #12. said:

The law of averages.

If you, like the OP, feel he will shine as a rookie, the burden is on you to show why.  It's not on me or others disprove it. 

After the initial post, I'm not exactly  ready to jump on the bandwagon 

I'm not going out of my way to show anyone anything if you can't even acknowledge the parallels....

I believe what I believe....and I look forward to it unfolding on Sunday's this fall.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm not going out of my way to show anyone anything if you can't even acknowledge the parallels....

I believe what I believe....and I look forward to it unfolding on Sunday's this fall.

I hope you're right. But for every Sproles and Woodhead type player etc, there are similar player(s) with similar skills basically coming out of the draft every year that never turn out to be anything. Hines can be something great or, as the game of averages goes....someone cut after a few uneventful years.

14 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I hope you're right. But for every Sproles and Woodhead type player etc, there are similar player(s) with similar skills basically coming out of the draft every year that never turn out to be anything. Hines can be something great or, as the game of averages goes....someone cut after a few uneventful years.

At a 50/50 clip.....I'll take our loss on Josh Ferguson and our win on Hines....

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

At a 50/50 clip.....I'll take our loss on Josh Ferguson and our win on Hines....

I wasn't talking about just our team. I meant the whole league. If it was a league-wide 50/50 clip there'd be 16 teams with a Sproles/Woodhead type. Which there isn't. Huge changes are Hines will fade into a below average RB. And that isn't a knock on him, it's just how the NFL is.

23 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I wasn't talking about just our team. I meant the whole league. If it was a league-wide 50/50 clip there'd be 16 teams with a Sproles/Woodhead type. Which there isn't. Huge changes are Hines will fade into a below average RB. And that isn't a knock on him, it's just how the NFL is.

So you guys that look at this pessimistically and always want to "remind" people that the draft is a crap shoot must be the same type that sees a pretty woman and thinks why bother.....she'll say no, or even if she did say yes the chances are so slim that things won't work out that I won't bother.....

I'm not proclaiming this dude will be an All Pro, I'm pointing out he has a great opportunity to make a difference for our Colts...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

So you guys that look at this pessimistically and always want to "remind" people that the draft is a crap shoot must be the same type that sees a pretty woman and thinks why bother.....she'll say no, or even if she did say yes the chances are so slim that things won't work out that I won't bother.....

I'm not proclaiming this dude will be an All Pro, I'm pointing out he has a great opportunity to make a difference for our Colts...

Yea some people are overly cautious

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Your first paragraph is way out there in terms of relevance. And I'm sorry but we are looking at it realistically, not pessimistically. It's realistic because as much as I want him to work out for us, NFL chances have proven to be slim.

41 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

And some are just as likely to look at a fat, ugly woman and think, "She may be a little rough, but I can coach her up to pretty". 

3 hours ago, Calmack said:

That's why Ballard brought in the ex Navy Seal who had the same issue with his recruits.  He designed a system that increased the % to a much higher retain rate.  He be

ieves it translates to football as well. I believe that's one reason  why we taped our interviews with players.  Balllard also brought in the best trainer in the leagues history to keep our players healthier than the average.  Ballard is trying to beat said averages is what I'm saying. 

• Like 3