Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charlie Casserly Report: Luck to be full go for Training Camp

superrep1967

1 hour ago, TdungyW/12 said:

Well typically because of your shoulder is injured and there is a risk of reinjuring that shoulder you aren’t going to be lifting the weight on that “hurt” shoulder for risk of having a set back! So as linemen were saying they were having a hard time keeping up with him in the weight room .... plus you don’t get that big lifting 5-10 rehab weights. He’s probably pushing 60-80 if not higher on shoulders alone ..... on top of rehab and rest ..... I honestly believe they are just playing it down. If they say he is full go and LOOKS like he does he will be our starting QB.

you don't understand the difference between the two issues. A linebacker can have a labrum repair and return to lifting and being a linebacker just fine typically. Its a completely different issue with a thrower. I have no doubt luck has been lifting on that shoulder just fine. The issue is when you involve the motion and torque on the joint when you throw a ball. A labrum repair for a thrower is always risky and there will always be a question if the shoulder will return to the level of performance it had before the injury and repair. The forces and torque placed on the shoulder joint by profession quarterbacks and pitchers is incredible if the joint is not healthy it reduces velocity, accuracy and other issues. Basically labrum damage can reduce superman to an average joe velocity wise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theanarchist said:

you don't understand the difference between the two issues. A linebacker can have a labrum repair and return to lifting and being a linebacker just fine typically. Its a completely different issue with a thrower. I have no doubt luck has been lifting on that shoulder just fine. The issue is when you involve the motion and torque on the joint when you throw a ball. A labrum repair for a thrower is always risky and there will always be a question if the shoulder will return to the level of performance it had before the injury and repair. The forces and torque placed on the shoulder joint by profession quarterbacks and pitchers is incredible if the joint is not healthy it reduces velocity, accuracy and other issues. Basically labrum damage can reduce superman to an average joe velocity wise.

I understand it I’m just stating that lifting while injured period ( for someone as important as Luck ) would have been prohibited .... hence his anorexic look he had just a year ago. I’m sure he has been throwing balls much heavier then a football, I’m sure he has been using resistance bands to replicate a throwing motion .... I’m sure “the way he looks” is the way he feels ..... there’s no way we are being told he will throw coming camp with him never throwing anywhere else. He won’t just pick up a football cold turkey and throw it again after so much time off .... he’s throwing a football we just haven’t been told or shown he is.

22 hours ago, TdungyW/12 said:

I understand it I’m just stating that lifting while injured period ( for someone as important as Luck ) would have been prohibited .... hence his anorexic look he had just a year ago. I’m sure he has been throwing balls much heavier then a football, I’m sure he has been using resistance bands to replicate a throwing motion .... I’m sure “the way he looks” is the way he feels ..... there’s no way we are being told he will throw coming camp with him never throwing anywhere else. He won’t just pick up a football cold turkey and throw it again after so much time off .... he’s throwing a football we just haven’t been told or shown he is.

Healing is the key word here. While he was healing from the surgery, I’m pretty sure he was prohibited from doing much of anything. When the doctors cleared him to start throwing then the healing process had to be completed otherwise they wouldn’t have cleared him. Maybe he should have bulked back up before he started throwing again the first time around but who knows?  I think he injured it again and that’s why he was shut down for so long. He is healed yet again and is at least looking the part this time around. 

6 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Healing is the key word here. While he was healing from the surgery, I’m pretty sure he was prohibited from doing much of anything. When the doctors cleared him to start throwing then the healing process had to be completed otherwise they wouldn’t have cleared him. Maybe he should have bulked back up before he started throwing again the first time around but who knows?  I think he injured it again and that’s why he was shut down for so long. He is healed yet again and is at least looking the part this time around. 

Yeah I agree .... I was previously saying he wouldn’t look the way he does now and be able to lift heavily and put that much muscle and gain as much as he did if he was injured anywhere in the shoulder. NOBODY if he was injured would allow him to pick up any weight over 10/15lbs. 

I don't know if this is even worth this post but here's an interview with Luck's father Oliver who is the newly appointed commissioner of the XFL:

http://arizonasports.com/category/podcast_player/?a=344216&sid=1004&n=Doug+%26+Wolf

They asked him at the very end of the interview (about 10:00 mark) how is Andrew doing and he just said, I quote - "Thank you for asking, he's doing fine. I won't go into much detail but he's doing fine. " 

• Thanks 1

I heard Jeff Rickard  (http://www.1070thefan.com/personalities/jeff-rickard)  on MTC with Pat Kirwan recently.   He stated when Luck was shut down last year, they (Surgeon and team) instituted a full rehab reboot... just as if he just had another surgery.  A full timeline was drawn up for progress and milestones for full recovery.  No shortcuts and no fast-track.  It is likely comprehensive, measurable, and long.  Each step must be competed completely to advance to the next stage. Everyone is very quiet about it (even Oliver Luck), and how far along  Luck is in it.

Let's just see what A. Luck does at mandatory mini camp 6/12-14/2018

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I heard Jeff Rickard  (http://www.1070thefan.com/personalities/jeff-rickard)  on MTC with Pat Kirwan recently.   He stated when Luck was shut down last year, they (Surgeon and team) instituted a full rehab reboot... just as if he just had another surgery.  A full timeline was drawn up for progress and milestones for full recovery.  No shortcuts and no fast-track.  It is likely comprehensive, measurable, and long.  Each step must be competed completely to advance to the next stage. Everyone is very quiet about it (even Oliver Luck), and how far along  Luck is in it.

That makes sense. It has almost seemed like he is rehabbing from another procedure.

I am not someone who says (or thinks) the Colts owe us information...but I think they could have just communicated this early on and avoided a lot of confusion. They have alluded to it, but if it was laid out just like you did...I don't think as many people would be questioning his status. 

But that's not really how NFL teams work.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2018 at 9:44 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

I wonder about that. When they shut Luck down, he left the country. I would think the mandated timeline would have been instituted when he got back, not before he left. I say that because it would seem like they would want to evaluate his status after whatever treatment he received in Europe.

So he got back in late December, as far as we know. The full rehab timeline was originally 6-9 months. That might mean he could start throwing in late June, or July. That's in keeping with what Luck said at his last presser; he suggested he wouldn't be throwing publicly during the offseason program.

Along the way, he's also built his body back up, which is something he wasn't able to do last spring/summer. 

I still don't think he'll throw publicly until training camp. I'm skeptical of everything the team is officially saying, to the point that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Luck is already throwing overhand, to some extent. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Superman said:

I wonder about that. When they shut Luck down, he left the country. I would think the mandated timeline would have been instituted when he got back, not before he left. I say that because it would seem like they would want to evaluate his status after whatever treatment he received in Europe.

That's possible, but remember, Luck only had 4 limited practices in a 2 week span coming off the PUP, when they shut him down.  He was in pain and shoulder inflamed.  It is not out of the realm of possibility they told him to rest at least 3-4 weeks, and then begin flexibility and range of motion exercises before any thought of shoulder strengthening would be attempted.   After his earlier surgery, he was in a sling 3-4 weeks minimum, then began flexibility / ROM exercises.  Maybe they asked for a similar approach to begin the latest rehab.

So he got back in late December, as far as we know. The full rehab timeline was originally 6-9 months. That might mean he could start throwing in late June, or July. That's in keeping with what Luck said at his last presser; he suggested he wouldn't be throwing publicly during the offseason program.

Which is an amended position, as when he returned from the Netherlands it was-

“I feel really good today,” Luck said on Friday, speaking to the media for the first time since going on injured reserve in early November. “I do not think I need another surgery. I believe in the process that I’m in right now. I’ve gotten great help and hope to continue to get better. I plan on being ready for everything, everything official, offseason, NFL schedule. I plan on being ready.”

Along the way, he's also built his body back up, which is something he wasn't able to do last spring/summer. 

Which is curious,  but he also didn't go to Europe...

“The therapist that I worked with, his resources were over in the Netherlands, the clinic and other help,” Luck says of a reason for heading across the Atlantic for his rehab. “I could not have done what I did there, here, from some of the people involved aspect of it.”

My suspicion it was more than just a people/clinic/mental aspect as well.

I still don't think he'll throw publicly until training camp. I'm skeptical of everything the team is officially saying, to the point that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Luck is already throwing overhand, to some extent. 

I hope he gets on a throwing program soon, even privately.  I still believe it will be 2-3 months with no setbacks for him to be physically ready to play at a high level (with the final 3-4 weeks of it in practice with the team).  Mentally, I am not sure at all how he is/will fare.  He seems confident in the press room.  Let's see on the field.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

That's possible, but remember, Luck only had 4 limited practices in a 2 week span coming off the PUP, when they shut him down.  He was in pain and shoulder inflamed.  It is not out of the realm of possibility they told him to rest at least 3-4 weeks, and then begin flexibility and range of motion exercises before any thought of shoulder strengthening would be attempted.   After his earlier surgery, he was in a sling 3-4 weeks minimum, then began flexibility / ROM exercises.  Maybe they asked for a similar approach to begin the latest rehab.

Which is an amended position, as when he returned from the Netherlands it was-

“I feel really good today,” Luck said on Friday, speaking to the media for the first time since going on injured reserve in early November. “I do not think I need another surgery. I believe in the process that I’m in right now. I’ve gotten great help and hope to continue to get better. I plan on being ready for everything, everything official, offseason, NFL schedule. I plan on being ready.”

Which is curious,  but he also didn't go to Europe...

“The therapist that I worked with, his resources were over in the Netherlands, the clinic and other help,” Luck says of a reason for heading across the Atlantic for his rehab. “I could not have done what I did there, here, from some of the people involved aspect of it.”

My suspicion it was more than just a people/clinic/mental aspect as well.

I hope he gets on a throwing program soon, even privately.  I still believe it will be 2-3 months with no setbacks for him to be physically ready to play at a high level (with the final 3-4 weeks of it in practice with the team).  Mentally, I am not sure at all how he is/will fare.  He seems confident in the press room.  Let's see on the field.

Very well put.