Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Garafolo] Colts are signing OT Austin Howard | Edit: Official now!

stitches

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

2-14 should still be bad enough to pick #1 and give us #33 :)

#33 plus a fourth rounder might get you up into the late first round....just food for thought...so Ballard’s actions this offseason could mean an extra first round pick next.

Ravens bloggers seemed to really like Howard...

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2018/5/9/17209402/report-ot-austin-howard-signs-with-the-colts-ravens-free-agency-compensatory-selection

...Baltimore signed Austin Howard to a three-year deal worth $16 million last offseason. After a shaky start to the 2017 season, Howard began to hit his stride. He was one of the Ravens’ most consistent and reliable offensive linemen. Howard started all 16 games for Baltimore at right tackle.

In terms of pass-protection, the Ravens’ offensive line was among the league’s best last season...

...The Ravens surprisingly declined Howard’s option this offseason, which created $3 million in cap space. This move created a hole at right tackle...

...This move makes perfect sense for the Colts. They need help on the offensive line, and Howard is a serviceable veteran tackle. Indianapolis selected a pair of offensive guards in the 2018 NFL Draft in Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith. With the interior of their offensive line solidified, Indianapolis needed to improve at right tackle...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

After this signing, I really wish we would have went with josh Jackson or Eli Harold at pick # 37. 

While saying that, do you guys think it is possible we use Smith as a back up left tackle this year to see if he can take Castonzo’s reign when his contract is up?  He has practiced/played left tackle for limited snaps before. 

Hahahaha...

Almost as bad as Vince Young saying "Honor Landry."

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

While saying that, do you guys think it is possible we use Smith as a back up left tackle this year to see if he can take Castonzo’s reign when his contract is up?  He has practiced/played left tackle for limited snaps before. 

Haeg played better at LT backing up AC than Haeg played starting at RT.  LT is Joe's natural position, and RG is Smith's natural position.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Were u the guy who helped Al Gore build the internet?

haha

seriously tho, have any lottery numbers to recommend?

My powers do not extend beyond Colts depth FA signings that occur on or after May 9th. 

As for the internet, Gorehead stole the idea from me.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If the OL stays healthy and is well coached this should be the best OL in franchise history.

I'm hoping this OL will be top-8 in the NFL this year...    that's top 25-percent in the league...   for what we've invested this should be an attainable goal...

You are talking Indy era ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Our oline looks like its going to be huge next season lol.

Should be a major improvement over what we have seen but I wouldn't say good or even above average just yet.  

We certainly drafted some talented guards but they are still going to be rookies who are likely going to make some rookie mistakes.  

Plus the vets we have on the lines while good are not pro-bowlers.  

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   sure...

But would you disagree if I expanded that to include the Baltimore Colts as well?

Just asking.... 

59 thru 64 was about as good as any ever in the NFL (for their relative era).

Vogel, Parker, Symanski, Sandusky, Preas.

86-89 was Really good in Indy

Hinton, Utt/Dixon,Donaldson, Solt, and Call.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Hahahaha...

Almost as bad as Vince Young saying "Honor Landry."

Haha, that was so bad. I felt really bad for the University of Texas after that. It's not like the card is hand written in cursive, pretty sure it's typed out. Dude just cant read.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

59 thru 64 was about as good as any ever in the NFL (for their relative era).

Vogel, Parker, Symanski, Sandusky, Preas.

86-89 was Really good in Indy

Hinton, Utt/Dixon,Donaldson, Solt, and Call.

I'll go out on a limb and compare Dixon and Solt to Nelson and Smith.  Dixon and Solt were beginning to be touted as young mauler  NFL stars. Both had careers cut short by knee injuries.

Hinton (he, Mark Hermann, and the pick that brought Solt and from the Elway trade)was barely behind Glenn as the best INDY tackle. (Jim Parker is Baltimore's- HOF and Retired #)

Ray Donaldson was at least as good as ( I think better than)Jeff Saturday.  I'll go out on another limb and bet on Kevin Call's reliability vs Austin Howard's any day.

Of course they had Eric Dickerson lining up behind them.  As the above Baltimore line that had Johnny Unitas and Lenny Moore behind them.  Let's hope the current bunch avoids injuries, and grows together to become Elite!!!