Born:May 16, 1992 (age 25)
Rancho Cucamonga, California

Height:6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)

Weight:260 lb (118 kg)

Career information

High school:Rancho Cucamonga (CA)

College:USC

NFL Draft:2015 / Round: 6 / Pick: 198

...As a sophomore in 2011, Telfer had an outstanding season under head coach Lane Kiffin, catching 26 passes—five of them for touchdowns. He suffered several injuries during the season, but continued to play.[2]

In his junior year, USC began the season ranked Number 1 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll. Telfer had numerous additional injuries, and according to press reports probably should not have continued practicing or playing...

...Steve Sarkisian was named USC's permanent head coach at the end of the 2013 season. Telfer had arthroscopic surgery on a knee in the spring of 2014, which kept him out of spring training camp.[9] Although many in the press predicted he would have the breakout fifth-year season,[2] and Coach Sarkisian told Telfer he would be an "offensive weapon" in the coming year,[6] Telfer was relegated largely to a role as a blocker.[4] The Trojans ended their season playing in the Holiday Bowl, winning 45-42 over the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers. Telfer ended his college football career with 63 receptions, 12 of them for touchdowns.[2] His USC teammates voted to give him the Chris Carlisle Courage Award for starting every game his final year, despite his significant injuries.[9]...

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Sounds like he is a pretty tough kid... maybe he should have not played through all those injuries and took time to fully recover.

Sounds like he's got some upside, and with Doyel and Ebron, he probably isn't being brought in with expectation to do much off the bat (if ever).  Swoope seems to be developing nicely as a receiver, but also has had some durability issues.

Either way, sounds like we got a high-character guy who can come in and compete for a spot on the roster.

Don’t be surprised if Ebron plays basically WR for us. His speed/size combo will be used outside and in the slot a lot. I’m not saying this kid will get lots of playing time at TE but the way Philly uses TEs they utilize 3-4 TEs. We may be limited at WR but I think we carry an extra TE. We are going to see some totally different formations and player groups this year than ever before. Phillys TEs were wide ranging in their skill set and they used multiple of them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Outside of Doyle and Ebron we had 3 converted basketball players ( Swoope, Travis and Cox), a converted WR (Daniels) and a converted QB who was the one that lost his spot - Vander Laan.

I assumed we'd pick up an inline blocker at some point and here he is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Outside of Doyle and Ebron we had 3 converted basketball players ( Swoope, Travis and Cox), a converted WR (Daniels) and a converted QB who was the one that lost his spot - Vander Laan.

Yeah, someone has to block.  His odds of making the team are slim unless he can do something others can’t.  

Like protecting the QB, taking down a DE, and clearing a path for a RB.  It’s as important as catching a pass.  

Just saw that Coby is on the streets.  

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, someone has to block.  His odds of making the team are slim unless he can do something others can’t.  

Like protecting the QB, taking down a DE, and clearing a path for a RB.  It’s as important as catching a pass.  

Just saw that Coby is on the streets.  

It seems to me he posseses the one skill that everyone but Doyle doesn't have - the ability to block. 

Yes, Fleener is on the street, I'd add him back in place of Swoope, Travis, Daniels and Cox.....

Frank Reich would have a field day with Doyle, Ebron and Fleener flooding the seems and crossing routes....

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

It seems to me he posseses the one skill that everyone but Doyle doesn't have - the ability to block. 

Yes, Fleener is on the street, I'd add him back in place of Swoope, Travis, Daniels and Cox.....

Frank Reich would have a field day with Doyle, Ebron and Fleener flooding the seems and crossing routes....

Fleener didn't pass a physical.  It could be he is done in the NFL?  His concussion issues may be lifelong?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You making a sarcastic comment about him has zero to do with anything.

It's a joke about how coaches always say that, it's a joke about how little he played, it's a joke about his role in games.

Its a joke.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Fleener didn't pass a physical.  It could be he is done in the NFL?  His concussion issues may be lifelong?

Yeah, that seems to be the issue.  I know it’s hard to leave the game so young, but I hope he has someone talking some sense to him.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Don’t be surprised if Ebron plays basically WR for us. His speed/size combo will be used outside and in the slot a lot. I’m not saying this kid will get lots of playing time at TE but the way Philly uses TEs they utilize 3-4 TEs. We may be limited at WR but I think we carry an extra TE. We are going to see some totally different formations and player groups this year than ever before. Phillys TEs were wide ranging in their skill set and they used multiple of them.

Boom!         This!         The above!

Very well said!       :thmup:

:colts:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep, I saw some video on Goedert and how he will fit with Philly's offense after the draft. They were showing some very creative formations - WR isolated on one side and 3 TE sets bunched up or spread on the other side. They were using it to create mismatches for one of the TEs, but just imagine putting TY Isolated with no help whatsoever for his defender on the left, while the 3 big receivers(or TEs) draw all the backside help on the right side of the formation. I'm loving the possibilities this offense will have to create mismatches. Ebron, TY, Hines, hell even Mack can be a huge mismatch weapon for Reich to play around with. I am very high on the new offense if Luck is healthy. I almost expect us to be top 10 offense if we have any semblance of a healthy lineup. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'd stay with Swoope and dump Travis if I dumped anyone.   I wouldn't bring Fleener back.  JMO

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Would be nice to see a WR.... got all these TE's but a few outside guys for competition would be helpful

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, I saw some video on Goedert and how he will fit with Philly's offense after the draft. They were showing some very creative formations - WR isolated on one side and 3 TE sets bunched up or spread on the other side. They were using it to create mismatches for one of the TEs, but just imagine putting TY Isolated with no help whatsoever for his defender on the left, while the 3 big receivers(or TEs) draw all the backside help on the right side of the formation. I'm loving the possibilities this offense will have to create mismatches. Ebron, TY, Hines, hell even Mack can be a huge mismatch weapon for Reich to play around with. I am very high on the new offense if Luck is healthy. I almost expect us to be top 10 offense if we have any semblance of a healthy lineup. 

It will depend on Luck obviously. I think we start off slow but I think once the offense gels it will look very good.

5 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Hum Travis might be better than Swoope. Fleener agree 100%

Based on what?  Once catch in a game?  I like the potential of both of them to be honest but Swoopes proven more with the Colts than Travis at this point.    Swoope gets hurt and then all of a sudden a guy comes in and makes one play in a game and becomes better than him.  Just immediately erased everything Swoope did the previous season.  Not pointing this at you bro, but people are so fickle.....

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Based on what?  Once catch in a game?  I like the potential of both of them to be honest but Swoopes proven more with the Colts than Travis at this point.    Swoope gets hurt and then all of a sudden a guy comes in and makes one play in a game and becomes better than him.  Just immediately erased everything Swoope did the previous season.  Not pointing this at you bro, but people are so fickle.....

Swoope based on what? Hes been around for like 4/5 years now & caught a handful of balls. Hurt all last year. Mostly been a practice squad guy who can't block. I have never gotten all the Swoope hype honestly! IMO Travis looks the part more maybe tougher, but I really think, 1 not both make the team, and wouldn't be surprised if both got cut either. Travis does have on his side HISTORY with Ballard at KC! 

53 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Swoope based on what? Hes been around for like 4/5 years now & caught a handful of balls. Hurt all last year. Mostly been a practice squad guy who can't block. I have never gotten all the Swoope hype honestly! IMO Travis looks the part more maybe tougher, but I really think, 1 not both make the team, and wouldn't be surprised if both got cut either. Travis does have on his side HISTORY with Ballard at KC! 

You really are really failing to paint a wobbly picture!  You know damn well that man came into the league never having even played football before.    What does that tell you?  It should have told you it would take a year or two so it's no surprise he's been on the roster for a little bit.  Problem for you is he started making plays right when he should have.   Why do you think they had no problem getting rid of Dwayne Allen? Swoope was a big part in why they did that.   They have not drafted a tight end since that point.  I'm wondering why Ballard isn't saying the stuff you're saying?  Does it all dissapear because his knee got hurt?

“But sometimes to let a player take another step, you have to move on from a guy,” said Ballard. “And I think Swoope’s got a lot of talent. We’ll see. I thought we saw signs of progression last year that were exciting to see. He’s got to take another step. And we’ll see if he does it or not.”

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/30/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-wants-erik-swoope-reach-ceiling/

"As the third tight end behind Allen and Doyle, Swoope played just 246 total offensive snaps, with the majority of them in run blocking situations, per Pro Football Focus.

Despite this limited role, Swoope showed he had a knack for big plays, evident by his ridiculous 19.8 yards per reception mark. He recorded 15 catches for 297 receiving yards and one touchdown."

Travis history is he got Cut.   Wasn't good enough to be their TE#2.  He's got about 1 or 2 catches here and a mediocre history with KC.  Right after that Denver game he looked pretty average to me against Baltimore and we didn't hear anything else from him the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Looking the part don't cut it.

Swoope at least proved he can catch a pass. Averaging almost 20 yds per catch is pretty impressive for anyone catching passes.  

Travis's past with Ballard has nothing to do with anything. If he can't make the team he will be cut right along with the others who can't make the team.

With the addition of Ebron I don't know how the TE position is going to play out but if my memory serves me it took Doyle around 3 years to become what he is. He was back and forth between the practice squad and the roster.

I think Ballard and the coaches are a little more qualified in judging potential than you or me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Looking the part don't cut it.

Swoope at least proved he can catch a pass. Averaging almost 20 yds per catch is pretty impressive for anyone catching passes.  

Travis's past with Ballard has nothing to do with anything. If he can't make the team he will be cut right along with the others who can't make the team.

With the addition of Ebron I don't know how the TE position is going to play out but if my memory serves me it took Doyle around 3 years to become what he is. He was back and forth between the practice squad and the roster.

I think Ballard and the coaches are a little more qualified in judging potential than you or me.

Swoope has done NEXT TO NOTHING! Ballard's past has lots to do with Travis!! One hes a Colt because of Ballard and his KC background!! Ballard and the coaches are good at judging talent, Having played D-1 football, I like to pretend I might know SOMETHING to? Honestly I don't remember Doyle being on the practice squad. Doyle showed talent, he didn't get opportunities because of Fleener and Allen. The one thing you Krunk are right about is we don't know how the TE position will play out! I will say this though with the addition of Ebron, who essentially does at a proven level what Swoppe and Travis talent COULD MAYBE be, the chances of both of them in my uneducated opinion is that both won't make the roster together. If one of them can prove to block well he would have the upper hand, if both prove to be poor blockers, the new addition at TE from Cleveland or any other guy,  maybe Daniels gets the final spot, if they carry 4 TE's. My money is Travis wins a job.  Crazy & Krunk, I usually like your posts, have nothing agianst either of you, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

You really are really failing to paint a wobbly picture!  You know damn well that man came into the league never having even played football before.    What does that tell you?  It should have told you it would take a year or two so it's no surprise he's been on the roster for a little bit.  Problem for you is he started making plays right when he should have.   Why do you think they had no problem getting rid of Dwayne Allen? Swoope was a big part in why they did that.   They have not drafted a tight end since that point.  I'm wondering why Ballard isn't saying the stuff you're saying?  Does it all dissapear because his knee got hurt?

“But sometimes to let a player take another step, you have to move on from a guy,” said Ballard. “And I think Swoope’s got a lot of talent. We’ll see. I thought we saw signs of progression last year that were exciting to see. He’s got to take another step. And we’ll see if he does it or not.”

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/30/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-wants-erik-swoope-reach-ceiling/

"As the third tight end behind Allen and Doyle, Swoope played just 246 total offensive snaps, with the majority of them in run blocking situations, per Pro Football Focus.

Despite this limited role, Swoope showed he had a knack for big plays, evident by his ridiculous 19.8 yards per reception mark. He recorded 15 catches for 297 receiving yards and one touchdown."

Travis history is he got Cut.   Wasn't good enough to be their TE#2.  He's got about 1 or 2 catches here and a mediocre history with KC.  Right after that Denver game he looked pretty average to me against Baltimore and we didn't hear anything else from him the rest of the year.

You heard nothing because he was new, our line sucked, our QB sucked more. Other than Doyle we could barley get anyone including TY the ball. Travis is the same thing Swoope is a basketball player trying to play football. One of them IMO makes the team. IMO Swoope hasn't shown much, MY OPINION. I think both wont make the team, unless one is a good blocker, not counting on that. The addition of Ebron limits both because he has shown the ability to do what both of these guys HOPE they can do skill set wise. If we carry 4 TE's I believe he will be a good blocker first, pass catcher second. Like I told Crazy, Krunk, I usually like both of your posts, I have nothing against you or him,  I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. My money is on Travis. When the rosters are finalized in Sept. Maybe, 1, or, both of us, or neither of us is right. It will be a fun battle to watch, my money is on Travis to make the roster.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:44 PM, MTC said:

He's mainly a blocking tight end that has strong character off the field. He was the Browns' nominee for the Walter Payton Man Of The Year Award last year. 

Already been waived due to failed physical p

5 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Swoope has done NEXT TO NOTHING! Ballard's past has lots to do with Travis!! One hes a Colt because of Ballard and his KC background!! Ballard and the coaches are good at judging talent, Having played D-1 football, I like to pretend I might know SOMETHING to? Honestly I don't remember Doyle being on the practice squad. Doyle showed talent, he didn't get opportunities because of Fleener and Allen. The one thing you Krunk are right about is we don't know how the TE position will play out! I will say this though with the addition of Ebron, who essentially does at a proven level what Swoppe and Travis talent COULD MAYBE be, the chances of both of them in my uneducated opinion is that both won't make the roster together. If one of them can prove to block well he would have the upper hand, if both prove to be poor blockers, the new addition at TE from Cleveland or any other guy,  maybe Daniels gets the final spot, if they carry 4 TE's. My money is Travis wins a job.  Crazy & Krunk, I usually like your posts, have nothing agianst either of you, I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

I appreciate you using ALL CAPS to try and make a point,  but it didn't work because your point is wrong.

Or, to put it your way,  your poinst IS WRONG!

Eric Swoope has not done "NEXT TO NOTHING!"      There no world in the NFL where a player has 15 catches for 298 yards in one season and that's next to nothing.     If a wide receiver averages 19.8 per catch that's great.   But, do it as a tight end and that's flat-out great.    And great is a lot more than next to nothing.    Or,  NEXT TO NOTHING!

And since you played football,  you should know all this.    I'm sorry that you don't. 

And Swoope has done all this as a player with NO FOOTBALL in his background.    He played basketball in college.   That makes his accomplishment even MORE noticable.      I have no idea why you think Swoope has done next to nothing.

And I'll say this....    if Swoope doesn't make the roster,  it will be because of injuries,  not talent.   Ballard has spoken highly of Swoope this off-season.   He know there's real talent there and wants to see it come out.    Hey,  I like Travis.    And I think he could not only be our 4th TE,  but he might also be our 6th WR.    I think he's got that kind of athletic ability.     And if he can learn how to play both effectively,  that might create a real match-up problem as the defense might not know how to line-up against him.     

I'm pulling for both guys.