Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saints release TE Coby Fleener [Merge]

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

??????????

"I question his numerous concussions..."

What in the world does that mean? 

Fleener did have a number of concussions throughout his football career. He went to IR last year because of one. Saints are releasing him for a failed physical. Maybe his head isn't on straight still?

• Like 2

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Saints release TE Coby Fleener [Merge]
18 hours ago, krunk said:

Not surprised.  He's soft

I seem to remember when he blasted the colts after he signed with the saint saying that some of his former teammates didn't always give full effort except he forgot to include himself in that category because he would make a catch on a pass that was well covered then he would drop the easiest pass thrown his way and the whole time he was a colt he did that sometimes when he was with the saints too. So now that I think about it I'm not sorry colts let him go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Very few people who post on here could take the physicality of the NFL. Calling them soft from behind a keyboard has always seemed juvenile, or at the very least...uninformed to me. 

So the next time we see you make a comment about a player and the way they play we should think you're juvenile or uninformed because you don't like them right? So we should just shut up because we could never play in the NFL?  It's a forum which is made for peoples opinions.   There was no toughness to Fleeners playing style and most people would agree with that.  It has zero to do with him being able to take concussions and bruises.   He wasn't much of a blocker and he wasn't all that physical and that's among other things I didn't like about his play.    Bottom line is this is a game and we all judge the players and the way they play.   If I think his play was soft then I'm certainly going to say that.  You most certainly don't have to agree with me or anyone else who said it but it doesn't make how I feel invalid in the least bit.  I think the intelligent thing to do when you don't understand someones comment is to ask for clarification.   That's what reasonable people do.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I seem to remember when he blasted the colts after he signed with the saint saying that some of his former teammates didn't always give full effort except he forgot to include himself in that category because he would make a catch on a pass that was well covered then he would drop the easiest pass thrown his way and the whole time he was a colt he did that sometimes when he was with the saints too. So now that I think about it I'm not sorry colts let him go.

Exactly!  That's some of what I didn't like about his game as well.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

??????????

"I question his numerous concussions..."

What in the world does that mean? 

He's had five career concussions playing football and he still is suffering symptoms from last years. I think it's self explanatory  

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Grigson won GM of the year that year by picking the picks he made. When he took this team over it had no starting WRs, TEs, QB or RBs. Manning was gone, Addai was gone and so was Clark. Then there was Wayne who also was not here and was talked into coming back. The team was 29 million dollars in cap hades too.

I know things went south with Grigson but saying he didn't know what he was doing his first year is wrong IMO.

Grigson's first pick was said to be basically picked for him.  Luck was a consensus Irsay pick.  All the other stuff you are mentioning was done by Grigson.  He came in and cut a lot of people creating all these holes you are referring to.  We had cap crap, but also had dead money galore because f these same moves.  Polian did not leave the cap in great care, I get that but Luck won GM of the year not Grigson (clearly this is a joke).  I will give Grigson credit for TY and Vic Ballard.  I have said many times that taking 2 TE's when he did was terrible.  Hind sight or not it was terrible.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hilton was traded for, he was not just a draft pick.

As far as RGIII being the rookie of the year he did not deserve it over Luck IMO. RGIII had a better team around him so it went that way.

The think is Grigson made attempts at building the lines but the drafts were bust and the free agents signed were bust along with injuries taking the toll.

Like I said, Grigson did up being a bust but his first couple of years were pretty solid.

His first draft was pretty solid and it all went to heck after that.  

That said I disagree about Grigson on the lines.  He made some moves but he never showed that he was fully committed to buidling a strong OL.  Ballard just dropped a first and a second on OL.  Thats the same number of OL in the first 2 rounds in 1 draft as Grigson drafted in the first 2 rounds in his entire career here.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

His first draft was pretty solid and it all went to heck after that.  

That said I disagree about Grigson on the lines.  He made some moves but he never showed that he was fully committed to buidling a strong OL.  Ballard just dropped a first and a second on OL.  Thats the same number of OL in the first 2 rounds in 1 draft as Grigson drafted in the first 2 rounds in his entire career here.  

Exactly, he drafted some O-Lineman, but none that early besides Kelly and Mewhort, and even though Grigson drafted them, they both were good (Mewhort to an extent). Which shows if you put some effort into building the lines early in a draft, there's a good chance it'll work out within a few years. I would of personally taken Cordy Glenn instead of Fleener in the 2012 draft to get Luck his two bookend tackles, I'm sure a few others felt the same here at the time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you remember we had no offense at all when we drafted Luck.

At the time we had to have TEs, RBs and WRs.

Reggie had to be talked to coming back.

It's easy to use hind sight and say we should have done this or that but at the time those picks were not bad picks.

I didn't like the picks then...I don't like them now. I don't like spending high draft resources on TEs....I believe good ones can be found through out the draft and cheaply in free agency. Of course we needed TEs...but to spend the 33rd pick in the draft on a TE I don't think I will ever support. That's basically a first round pick and unless they are the most dominant TE prospect to ever come out TEs with first round grades just aren't common. I felt and still do the Fleener pick was more out of getting a good player that Luck was familiar with and should be able to get on the same page with. I preferred Allen over Fleener but no way in the early second...and no way both together. Again...to me TEs are like RBs....most NFL run the position by committee with each having their specialties and utilizing multiples....but I'm not a big proponent of spending early assets on the position. I think we could have got more out of the draft by going a different route. To me the sweet spot for drafting TEs are the 4th and 5th round. Just my opinion and I understand it may not be popular. Look at the TEs we have on the roster now. Several UDFAs and a pretty dynamic TE that was affordably available in FA. Not trying to second guess Grigson...but all I was saying is that his idea of helping Luck was to draft two high TEs....surround him with playmakers on the outside...Ballard is building inside out with lineman. Just a different approach.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Grigson won GM of the year that year by picking the picks he made. When he took this team over it had no starting WRs, TEs, QB or RBs. Manning was gone, Addai was gone and so was Clark. Then there was Wayne who also was not here and was talked into coming back. The team was 29 million dollars in cap hades too.

I know things went south with Grigson but saying he didn't know what he was doing his first year is wrong IMO.

FYI...it had none of those players because he cut most if not all of them. I'm not trying to hate on Grigson...but if he was going to turn over the roster the way he did...he should have gone with a youth movement ala Ballards. Stayed committed to it....and yes should have invested in building a line in the draft. I think in the few years after he got here he thought this team was ready to win a SB much much before it was and jumped the shark trying to beat the Patriots. We were not nearly that close...and the when the cracks started...there was no substance to this team inside...and we fell apart. There was a lot to like about that first draft. TY and Vick, Fleener and Allen had their moments...especially in the redzone...but all that quickly went away. Fleener and Allen weren't bad players...I just thought we had bigger focus in the trenches etc than to invest in two high picks on TE. But I'm no GM....just a retired arm chair qb lol.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Exactly, he drafted some O-Lineman, but none that early besides Kelly and Mewhort, and even though Grigson drafted them, they both were good (Mewhort to an extent). Which shows if you put some effort into building the lines early in a draft, there's a good chance it'll work out within a few years. I would of personally taken Cordy Glenn instead of Fleener in the 2012 draft to get Luck his two bookend tackles, I'm sure a few others felt the same here at the time.

People were mentioning him. I remember the most people arguing over Jenoris Jenkins specifically. He was first round talent but troubled. Looking back with our needs at Corner, LB, and OL here are the corners we passed on (Jenkins, Hayward, and Trumaine Johnson). Lineman was Glenn, Martin (thank God we dodged that one), and Osemele were ones I heard mentioned taking....but LBs....wow was there some good ones in round 2 etc that we missed out on. Zach Brown, Bobby Wagner, Lavonte David, and a lot of people wanted Upshaw. Hindsight is 20/20 but with good scouting if we had gone another way with those picks and opted to take a TE much later or picked one up in free agency would we have been a better football team.....guess we will never know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hoose said:

Ah, the Fleener effect. Waiting patiently to suck the life out of yet another passing attack.  Someone will sign because Cory Fleener has nine lives. Somehow. 

Allen is the cat with nine lives. That guy has been a mostly useless part of a passing attack since his rookie season...and yet still somehow got a huge contract extension and is still in the NFL. When he was out hurt, Fleener produced because they weren't stupidly trying to make Allen the focal point of the offense.

Really wished they would have just moved on from both TEs after their rookie deals. But everything was a year or two late in the Grigs era.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Allen is the cat with nine lives. That guy has been a mostly useless part of a passing attack since his rookie season...and yet still somehow got a huge contract extension and is still in the NFL. When he was out hurt, Fleener produced because they weren't stupidly trying to make Allen the focal point of the offense.

im kind of interested to see what the patriots do with him now.  his contract is too big for what he gives them, but they must like him because he could be cut with no dead cap hit.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hilton was traded for, he was not just a draft pick.

As far as RGIII being the rookie of the year he did not deserve it over Luck IMO. RGIII had a better team around him so it went that way.

The think is Grigson made attempts at building the lines but the drafts were bust and the free agents signed were bust along with injuries taking the toll.

Like I said, Grigson did up being a bust but his first couple of years were pretty solid.

Only one year. And to be honest, he had some help. He was gifted Luck...a pick that was likely already made. Mathis and Wayne agreed to come back...because of Pagano, Irsay and the fact that they are Horseshoe guys. Redding came over from BAL to play for Pagano. Those were key moves early on that likely prolonged Grigs' tenure because they masked a lot of issues.

Grigs did draft Hilton, which was a great move...and the Davis trade was very shrewd. All in all, a very good offseason. 

But everything went south immediately in his second offseason. That offseason is quite possibly one of the worst of all-time...if you include the TRich trade as part of it. So many bad FA signings, a garbage draft haul that included passing on Rhodes and Hopkins, a ridiculous trade that wasted a future 1st round pick and a pointless trade of a pass rusher.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dgambill said:

FYI...it had none of those players because he cut most if not all of them. I'm not trying to hate on Grigson...but if he was going to turn over the roster the way he did...he should have gone with a youth movement ala Ballards. Stayed committed to it....and yes should have invested in building a line in the draft. I think in the few years after he got here he thought this team was ready to win a SB much much before it was and jumped the shark trying to beat the Patriots. We were not nearly that close...and the when the cracks started...there was no substance to this team inside...and we fell apart. There was a lot to like about that first draft. TY and Vick, Fleener and Allen had their moments...especially in the redzone...but all that quickly went away. Fleener and Allen weren't bad players...I just thought we had bigger focus in the trenches etc than to invest in two high picks on TE. But I'm no GM....just a retired arm chair qb lol.

The thing is you said Grigson cut most if not all the players. OK, it was time they were cut. How many of them went on and played for other teams?  A couple of them were signed but never made the finale 53 on a team.

At the time of the Fleener pick a huge percentage right here in this forum was very happy because he was Luck's hookup. Then when Allen was taken it was great, he should have been taken ahead of Fleener was said.

Peoples memories get real shady when the hate builds up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He also drafted Hugh Thornton in the 3rd round and Khaled Holmes in the 4th round. Plenty of teams have had success building an interior OL with 2nd-4th round picks. He was just poor at talent evaluation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Only one year. And to be honest, he had some help. He was gifted Luck...a pick that was likely already made. Mathis and Wayne agreed to come back...because of Pagano, Irsay and the fact that they are Horseshoe guys. Redding came over from BAL to play for Pagano. Those were key moves early on that likely prolonged Grigs' tenure because they masked a lot of issues.

Grigs did draft Hilton, which was a great move...and the Davis trade was very shrewd. All in all, a very good offseason. 

But everything went south immediately in his second offseason. That offseason is quite possibly one of the worst of all-time...if you include the TRich trade as part of it. So many bad FA signings, a garbage draft haul that included passing on Rhodes and Hopkins, a ridiculous trade that wasted a future 1st round pick and a pointless trade of a pass rusher.

I agree things got ugly but when the TRich trade was made this forum went crazy nuts in a positive way. We got the 1st and the 3rd pick of a draft for a late round #1 draft pick. There were very few in any who thought that was a bad trade. It would have been a great trade had TRich done his part and not got fat and lazy. Grigson got the blame for Trich's laziness.

Like I said earlier, peoples memories get hazy when hate builds up when things went south.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He also drafted Hugh Thornton in the 3rd round and Khaled Holmes in the 4th round. Plenty of teams have had success building an interior OL with 2nd-4th round picks. He was just poor at talent evaluation.

thornton could play, he just got hurt and ended up out of the league 

On 5/7/2018 at 2:37 PM, MTC said:

Definitely an interesting career. 

16 hours ago, Hoose said:

Ah, the Fleener effect. Waiting patiently to suck the life out of yet another passing attack.  Someone will sign because Cory Fleener has nine lives. Somehow. 

As mentioned below, he was released due to a failed physical.  Only 2 years into his 5 year contract. So he was designated a post June 1 cut, his dead money amortized over two years. Maybe he should call Austin Collie.

6 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Fleener did have a number of concussions throughout his football career. He went to IR last year because of one. Saints are releasing him for a failed physical. Maybe his head isn't on straight still?

Reasonable assumption.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, krunk said:

So the next time we see you make a comment about a player and the way they play we should think you're juvenile or uninformed because you don't like them right? You are welcomed to respond to anything I write on here. That is the risk of posting on the internet in a forum. Especially if I post something you feel is ridiculous. IMO, calling anyone who plays in the NFL soft is a ridiculous description. So we should just shut up because we could never play in the NFL? I did not quote you, nor would I ever tell anyone to shut up.  It's a forum which is made for peoples opinions. Which also includes peoples opinions of other peoples opinions.  There was no toughness to Fleeners playing style and most people would agree with that. I would agree that their was a lack of physicality in him necessary to play the position well in the NFL. That is a far cry from being soft or not being tough. You don't get into the NFL without being tough.  It has zero to do with him being able to take concussions and bruises. I didn't say anything about this.  He wasn't much of a blocker and he wasn't all that physical and that's among other things I didn't like about his play.  Bottom line is this is a game and we all judge the players and the way they play.   If I think his play was soft then I'm certainly going to say that.  You most certainly don't have to agree with me or anyone else who said it but it doesn't make how I feel invalid in the least bit.  I think the intelligent thing to do when you don't understand someones comment is to ask for clarification. Lol, like you asked me for clarification? That's what reasonable people do. 

In all, I am not trying to argue with you. First of all, I never quoted you, you quoted me. I will recant one thing, however. I would remove my description of juvenile from my post. That said...I still feel that calling anyone who gets into the NFL, especially one who has played for several years as soft, is uninformed.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was one of those banging on the table for that, so I remember well. :) 

Yes, the cup board was bare but we got TY and Moncrief in rounds 3 and Gronk was drafted in the top of round 2 and Jimmy Graham at the top of round 3, if I remember right. At that point, OL was what I was hoping for. Oh well, water under the bridge, not going to help anyone!!!

• Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 4:41 PM, krunk said:

Both of them stunk to be honest.    They looked okay in the beginning but they just didn't live up to what we thought they were capable of.   And for that matter their new teams either.

You can’t tell that to anyone here. People thought Allen was some type of hidden gem. I remember how scared people were that the Patriots were going to unlock his potential. He’s one of the most overrated players in the Grigson era, if not the most. 1 good season.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You can’t tell that to anyone here. People thought Allen was some type of hidden gem. I remember how scared people were that the Patriots were going to unlock his potential. He’s one of the most overrated players in the Grigson era, if not the most. 1 good season.

I liked Allen for a little while but he never improved. Same mistakes over and over.

• Like 1

I recall in that draft's 2nd round, I was wanting the Colts to take either CB Janoris Jenkings, despite his off field concerns, and if not him, then OT Cordy Glenn in an attempt to get some premium talent for the OL. 

I never liked the selection of Fleener and I never liked the way he played.  Questionable hands with way too many drops, poorly run routes (need 8 yards for a 1st down, run the route 6 or 7 yards <roll eyes>), and after making the catch, more times than not he instantly went to the ground.  Yeah, he had a few moments, but I always felt uneasy with him, genuinely surprised when he DID make a play, rather than expect, like how it was with Dallas Clark back in the day.

I liked the selection of Dwayne Allen in that many had him rated as the top TE in the draft class and in getting good value with him falling to the third round.  I didn't like taking him, though, being that the 2nd rounder was already expended on a TE.  Ergo, bad "team building" selection, positionally.  If Fleener hadn't been the 2nd round selection, then I would have really liked the selection of Allen in the 3rd round.

Anyway, I thought it was a big mistake passing on Janoris Jenkins, as I perceived him being a mid first round talent ... at a position of need.

22 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

I was at that game and the level of disappointment was high. lol

To be fair, that game was a blowout overall and most of it was because of deep passes.  

Washington for some reason where just not covering our receivers deep down the field and there was several passes just like that one which where caught and went for TD's.  I'm pretty sure Fleener had one too.

Overall Fleener wasn't that bad of a TE.  Certainly not an all pro but a decent receiving TE.  And Dwayne Allen towards the end of their time here was worse about dropping passes then Fleener ever was. 

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

To be fair, that game was a blowout overall and most of it was because of deep passes.  

Washington for some reason where just not covering our receivers deep down the field and there was several passes just like that one which where caught and went for TD's.  I'm pretty sure Fleener had one too.

Overall Fleener wasn't that bad of a TE.  Certainly not an all pro but a decent receiving TE.  And Dwayne Allen towards the end of their time here was worse about dropping passes then Fleener ever was. 

Oh yeah, I know and I agree. Fleener did have a TD score that game so it was fine. It was just during that particular play that everyone in the stadium was like wth!? It didn't bother me too much because the Colts were smoking them bad. To be honest, it felt like a practice game or something. 

18 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Oh yeah, I know and I agree. Fleener did have a TD score that game so it was fine. It was just during that particular play that everyone in the stadium was like wth!? It didn't bother me too much because the Colts were smoking them bad. To be honest, it felt like a practice game or something. 

Watching at home I just felt like it was really weird.  The Redskins would have likely won the game if they had covered the deep end of the field.  They put up a decent number of points in that game if I remember right.  But for some reason they didn't cover deep.  Luck was finding wide open receivers 25+ yards away time after time after time.  You would have thought at some point the defense would have adjusted, but they never did.  

Also it wasn't like the Colt's where famous for being unable to throw deep.  The opposite was more true the Colts where famous for throwing it deep a lot.  

On 5/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, pgt_rob said:

You were right, I just read that Fleener has not been cleared from the concussion he sustained last year.

On 5/7/2018 at 3:46 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I do think Dwayne if it was for his injury problems he would have had a better career. He just couldnt get healthy with us

I never really was huge on DA. He seemed like a me first player. I seem to recall a few times he posted and/or said things to the media about him not being used correctly. That just doesn't jive with me.